Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

A lot might be a strong word to use here, bud

its at least a 100% increase compared to the US market

e: The bad thread is like 3 months out from talking itself into voting Trump

JK Fresco posted:

First and foremost, vote for US politicians willing to stand up to China. It's ok to be a single issue voter for something big like this

Mantis42 has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Oct 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

whatever7 posted:

My favorite problematic themed Chinese junk food.

It's also called "Singles' Dog Food" to insult its customers.

if it's next to the Pringles, it has to be good

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFsSPV-jWU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Of course the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is aware of the problem – the so called “middle income trap” – which in reality occurs at the quite low income levels of high-end Third World countries like China, Mexico and Brazil. The CCP is attempting to overcome the roadblocks by upgrading China’s technological capacity, especially through the flagship Made in China 2025 policy framework. While the theory is very simple – nations must technically upgrade in order to continue to raise incomes – the practice is fraught.

It would be possible to move up the ranks of the global division of labour if China could develop a scientific base and internal social organisation equal or superior to that of US imperialism. This is of course possible in the abstract. However, the policy of the CCP cannot be abstract but must correspond to the realities of an imperialist world system. It has chosen to attempt to develop Chinese society via a path of capitalist development integrated into the imperialist world market. Therefore it is the concrete realities of this market and social production processes that underlie it that Chinese capital must navigate.

The polarisation of money income manifests the underlying social productive polarisation: the division of the world into spheres of high and low labour productivity, technology, scientific development and social organisation. The world division of labour is also divided between high-end, most sophisticated labour processes monopolised within the imperialist core and low-end or ordinary labour processes, which are distributed to the Third World. China is not an exception to this rule but the major example of it – the most successful developer of ordinary labour processes.

Technical polarisation of the global division of labour means that the overwhelming bulk of labour processes carried out in the low income countries, including China, consist of basic or ordinary labour. For this reason the social demands on most Chinese workers, technicians, scientific workers etc. do not involve systematic thinking and problem solving in the most advanced available manner. From this material-social base, the cultural development of the society can never be as advanced as that of imperialist societies, which monopolise humanity’s social and scientific advances for themselves.

The imperative of capitalist profitability ensures that no true assault on the commanding heights of world scientific development and the division of labour can be launched from a low material-social base. Storming the commanding heights would involve competition with the most advanced capital for the most advanced labour processes – a competition that a less developed or, as Che Guevara described it, ill formed capitalist social formation, is ill suited to carry out. This is why frontally challenging imperialism will not deliver the highest available profits to Chinese capital. Challenging imperialist monopoly at its margins is necessary to make profits. Yet a frontal challenge risks complete debacle.

For this reason, the interests of Chinese capital will never form the social basis for a full blooded assault on imperialist dominance (even ignoring the politically perilous level of working class social mobilisation that would be required for an underdeveloped society to wage such a serious campaign against imperialist supremacy). Chinese capitalism is not and can never become the revolutionary social force that can storm the heavens of US power.

What could conceivably happen is that more areas of the labour process that are presently dominated by the imperialist societies and hence subject to monopoly pricing, could be wrested from them and become the domain of Third World production – the same thing that has already happened, for example, in low grade steel production and other industrial processes. The same may be true several years from now for the production of basic automobiles. If the proportion of necessary world labour coming under the control of non-monopoly capitalists increases, or the degree of imperialist technical superiority in high-end labour is reduced (and thereby the degree of imperialist monopoly in these is reduced), then the gap between Third World and First World income could conceivably narrow relatively – even as the overall polarisation remains robust. However, a narrowing gap between the two camps is the opposite result to the overall outcome of neoliberal period (1980–2015) and far from inevitable.

quote:

Nothing in Trump’s policy indicates China is some kind of existential threat to US hegemony. To China boosters, the very existence of economic conflict between the US and China seems to prove their view of China’s rise. However, this is not the case any more than the existence of conflict between workers and their boss proves they stand on an equal footing, or are just the same thing.

Imperialist core capital has historically driven extremely hard bargains against even the weakest Third World capital. The “trade war”, which is really an economic attack on China by US imperialism, is about the distribution of the value brought into the world economy by Chinese labour. No Marxist (besides Harvey) argues that Chinese capital is a net appropriator of value created by US, British or other First World workers.

The battle being waged between US and Chinese capital is over the degree to which value created by Chinese labour (and therefore Chinese capital) is appropriated by First World capital and US capital in particular. Sections of US capital evidently believe they can achieve better terms, i.e. extract a greater proportion of Chinese value, by embarking on an economic war against China – even if there are different ideas about the best method of war, or how much of a war is desirable before accepting a truce.

Yet, not all aspects of Trump’s policy reflect US capitalists’ specifically economic interests. Some aspects reflect their broader political interests and also the political interests of the Trump White House. After all, Trump can hardly sell a trade war to US workers purely on the basis of benefit to US corporations. He must talk mostly about jobs, and hence emphasise the trade balance and currency levels – even if these are not the key issues for the most powerful sections of US capital.

Since China joined the World Trade Organisation two decades ago, compared to other Third World states, it has enjoyed considerable advantages in negotiating the terms of its own exploitation: the size of its cheap, trained and educated labour force; its relatively well-developed and centralised state apparatus (a historical product of the Chinese masses’ defeat of imperialist political power in China after World War Two); and the size of its domestic market.

As seen, the primary beneficiaries of Chinese workers’ gigantic contribution to world labour have been the US and other imperialist countries. Yet these relative strengths of the Chinese state also coincided and combined with the runaway profits bonanza of cheap labour globalisation during the neoliberal period. In this historical context, Chinese capital was able to use its unique position as the centre of world labour to technically upgrade relatively rapidly compared with other Third World states. The degree of its success is reflected in China’s “rise” from about the income level of India in 1980, to a level today on a par with Mexico and Brazil.

However, since around 2011 cheap labour globalisation has ceased to be principal driving force of above average profits in the world economy. While many companies still rely on cheap Third World labour, and new instances of offshoring will continue (as was already the case prior to the neoliberal period) this is no longer the characteristic driver of economic expansion that it was.xlii In 2019 a greater portion of imperialism’s cheap labour needs can be provided by other Third World societies, giving imperialism a stronger hand to play off the various non-monopoly producing countries against each other.

Of course the Chinese domestic market is still crucial for imperialism to dominate, but it is no longer so rapidly expanding. Unless a radical technological upgrade is successful, the Chinese market will decline in relative importance to the same extent that China’s labour contribution falls as a proportion of total world labour. These weaknesses are counterbalanced by the considerable upgrading that sections of Chinese capital have achieved.

In the new situation, US capital today, or sections of it, are looking to reconfigure the terms of its engagement (exploitation) of China to better reflect its new strengths, weaknesses and needs. It’s not that the major US capitalists face competitors in China capable of defeating them. Rather, they face competitors more able to squeeze certain aspects of the monopolies’ overall dominance and reduce their profits for certain, particularly low-end, less profitable operations and take some market share at the margins.

This is reflected in Trump’s repeated refrains about China “stealing” US “intellectual property” and demands for a Chinese crackdown. What US capital seeks is not legal protection to artificially (politically) forestall the collapse of its tottering dominance over the labour process – although that is likely the case for marginal, individual capitals or sectors. Rather, the dominant sections of US capital seek legal protections that will increase the projection of their technological dominance. Greater legal protection extends the period of time that above average profits can be secured for a given new labour process, product, etc. by slowing competitors’ adoption of it.

Even the complete removal of legal protections would not end the ability of US capitalists to make above average profits on the basis of technological innovation simply because US capital is more technically advanced. If China were in fact developing its own world-beating technologies – the US state would not be demanding strict intellectual property laws; it would be busy trying to copy Chinese innovation.

The other principal aim of the Trump administration is winding back Chinese state subsidies for large state-owned enterprises (SOEs – many of which also have a large degree of private ownership). This reflects another advantage China does possess (at least compared to other Third World societies). As the largest Third World state, and one with a relatively strong state apparatus developed during the Chinese revolution, state subsidies for otherwise uneconomic producers are a key way that Chinese capital is able to compete globally. In doing so it undermines imperialist profitability in competing sectors by undercutting them on price. Yet Chinese state subsidies also increase the profitability of other branches of the imperialist economy, and potentially its overall profitability.

By subsidising and cheapening products, the Chinese state (and ultimately workers) in effect subsidise cheap inputs to the businesses that purchase these commodities. To the extent subsidised products are utilised by First World capital, this is essentially another form of offering Chinese labour cheaply on the world market. Chinese state organisation of subsidies allows China’s cheap labour advantage to be concentrated and shifted from the most labour intensive industries like textiles to higher rungs of manufacturing.

Once we remove the perception that China’s current technological level is a temporary phase in some sort of long march of inevitable transition to dominance, it becomes clear how devastatingly imperialism is plundering China, East Asia and the Third World. All of the burdens taken on by Chinese workers, all of the terrible environmental devastation, dispossession of farmers, separation of working parents from their children and many other injustices and crimes, are not sacrifices in aid of Chinese capitalism’s coming global triumph. They are the sacrifices of China’s success as Third World capitalism par excellence, as the number one provider of good, cheap products to the imperialist economies.

The sooner imperialist exploitation of China is recognised by Marxists and others on the left, the sooner it will be possible to start working towards building international solidarity with China and other Third World struggles. The surest way to break any possibility of Chinese workers trusting and looking for unity with working people in the United States and the other imperialist countries is to swallow the propaganda that China is fast becoming an imperialist power. The Chinese working class knows that it is not. The imperialist world’s workers, so far, do not.

https://rupturemagazine.org/2019/08/04/why-china-cannot-win-a-trade-war-against-the-usa
-samuel-t-king/

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that article might be a bit too pessimistic since the U.S. seems to be heading into recession right now. but it's food for thought

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Also a lot of Korean products feature racist caricatures. It's a thing.

do you have any specific examples because usually when i see this claimed its obsure products in niche markets no one has ever heard of not anything anyone has ever heard of

like the only racist logo i can recall ever having much prominence was the cleveland indians mascot but that was awhile ago

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
homex is gonna be General Secretary in 20 years you heard it here first

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
One day it's gonna be a pudgy white dude standing in the back of the limo and everyone's gonna be like "whaaa?" and I'll just smile.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

sincx posted:

With R Guy gone the neocons neolibs and (literal) State Department plants are coming out of the woodworks in D&D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyyoaBa7DaE

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TrilliontonNixon posted:

One day it's gonna be a pudgy white dude standing in the back of the limo and everyone's gonna be like "whaaa?" and I'll just smile.
he's very handsome

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mantis42 posted:

its at least a 100% increase compared to the US market

what the gently caress are you jabbering about

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
man i'm really glad that tankie homex is gone. boy, this is a really good opportunity to share something i've been working on under the radar *unfurls map of cruise missile targets*

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TrilliontonNixon posted:

homex is gonna be General Secretary in 20 years you heard it here first

Lol at the idea of the CCP letting a non-han into any serious position

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

sincx posted:

With R Guy gone the neocons neolibs and (literal) State Department plants are coming out of the woodworks in D&D.

how’d my man get banned?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dr. Killjoy posted:

how’d my man get banned?

genocide denial, that scamp!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i believe the record will show that homex banned himself

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i believe the record will show that homex banned himself

because the other admins were about to shithammer him for genocide denial

he basically retreated into his bunker and shot his account in the head, which is ironic considering how much he loved stalin

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

man i'm really glad that tankie homex is gone. boy, this is a really good opportunity to share something i've been working on under the radar *unfurls map of cruise missile targets*
lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

who even are the other admins anyway facts are useless specifically said he wasnt anymore and the only other one i can think of is video games

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

who even are the other admins anyway facts are useless specifically said he wasnt anymore and the only other one i can think of is video games

It really doesn't matter. Even when the admins change, around 80% of the moderation staff remains the same, carrying out their Deep Mod plans regardless of what figurehead occupies the "admin" role at any given time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

"wow! those racist asians" amirite? yeah, it's incredibly tone-deaf if you ever bothered to just peek at global politics, but most people have enough problems in their lives already and lmao if you think these words mean anything to the people on the street, it's just silly english words from <hollywood movie>

just gonna wait until you nerds find out about all the wan/manji scattered everywhere around asia lmao

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Strong candidate for worst post in this thread right there. And it's a crowded field.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm incredibly sorry that exporting american culture has also achieved exporting american racist bullshit, but them's the breaks. i live in eastern europe and people on the street don't give a poo poo about your problems, but they do like the hollywood movies, n-words included.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now I want to know more of this wan/manji thing. I hope is not too cringy.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's just chinese/japanese for swastika, op

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so like i was driving and briefly listening to npr again b/c i hate myself and
https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=768569711

quote:

Those trends are part of the reason why China's economy has stalled over the past decade. And it's hard to disentangle the effects of that broader economic slowdown from the effects of the trade war. But talking about any of this stuff in China can get you into trouble.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

the filipino kkk isn't that kkk

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Truga posted:

it's just chinese/japanese for swastika, op

its not fair for us to expect hong kong protesters to know how swastikas are seen in the west since they see swastikas in wechat all the time

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

they actually think the frog memes tehy are modifying are from buddhist forums

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao
e: i wasn't paying attention and thought the kkk thing was taiwan, since it's filipino that poster's even dumber

Truga has issued a correction as of 12:04 on Oct 11, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Stocking posted:

the filipino kkk isn't that kkk

:thejoke:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

Strong candidate for worst post in this thread right there. And it's a crowded field.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Limburg feeling threatened rn

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i should probably explain what i meant. the owner of that store is probably racist, normal people wouldn't call their store that, though you can't even be sure of that because as i said, all the lovely culture export USA does includes their lovely racist bullshit.

but whether they are or aren't, the reason he doesn't have to change the name is because people on the street don't give a poo poo about some english words, not because they're also all racist. for most, they've seen that bullshit on tv and just treat it as another stupid american thing. the people who are online enough to know exactly what it means, it's so far down the list of their priorities, they really don't want to bother.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
the part you're missing is that everyone involved in this scenario that you're proposing is, actually, very very likely to be hella racist

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i guess i'll just have to trust you on that, then

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

random neighborhood olds who have never seen a foreigner hella racist

protestors beating the poo poo out of random airport people just being taken out of context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

random neighborhood olds who have never seen a foreigner hella racist

protestors beating the poo poo out of random airport people just being taken out of context

yeah, this is pretty much what i mean i guess, it's just so stupid.

people minding their own business on a street? yeah must be racist. :confused:
protesters beating up random people? "well, it's a protest, what did you expect?"

Truga has issued a correction as of 13:41 on Oct 11, 2019