Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, is Valley of the Kings: Premium Edition good in solitare? I'd probably play it with people, but I'm looking for a good game that I can play by myself if need be. I've heard good things about the game before, but I've also heard some of the expansions are better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not really, it's either a true solo points maximization puzzle as you go through the whole deck or a new dummy player that will wildly careen from outscoring you and rushing the game to doing nothing and making you use the rule book to reference every single card to see how it uses the action.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Llyranor posted:

I actually quite like Glass Road, but the card play guessing game didn't go very well for my gaming partner, which is why I've been eyeing Nusfjord.

2 player Glass Road ain't my favorite either, 3 or 4 players feels much better to me. It's also my only Rosenberg that I don't enjoy solo.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Selecta84 posted:

2 player Glass Road ain't my favorite either, 3 or 4 players feels much better to me. It's also my only Rosenberg that I don't enjoy solo.

I'm quite glad to read that, as I haven't tried it 3-4p yet but want to. BGG rates the game 'best at it', but it feels to me like I'd prefer the non-2p mechanisms.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Llyranor posted:

I'm quite glad to read that, as I haven't tried it 3-4p yet but want to. BGG rates the game 'best at it', but it feels to me like I'd prefer the non-2p mechanisms.

Yeah, I would definitly give it a try at higher player counts. Chance of being able to play 4-5 cards definitly goes up and I find the guessing a lot more interesting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So I still quite like the game, but Castles of Mad King Ludwig has some serious turn order problems.

Specifically, in a 3p game, if one player is significantly weaker than the other two, the person sitting right after the weakest is likely to win: leaving important goal buildings cheap, leaving only one decent building at a good price, etc.

Legit thinking if we play again, having me and my wife bid points for seating order or something.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of VotK Premium, I got mine a while ago and I think it's an edition that suffers from its upscaling. The tarot sized cards are unwieldy and their sleeves are slippery. Like, it's the perfect small game in a small box and the premium edition tosses that out. The iconography is worse despite the art as a whole being better. I do like the added unique set and the pharaoh cards. I guess it's a mixed bag. Simpler is better imo

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

silvergoose posted:

So I still quite like the game, but Castles of Mad King Ludwig has some serious turn order problems.

Specifically, in a 3p game, if one player is significantly weaker than the other two, the person sitting right after the weakest is likely to win: leaving important goal buildings cheap, leaving only one decent building at a good price, etc.

Legit thinking if we play again, having me and my wife bid points for seating order or something.

I've only noticed this if one player is significantly less experienced at the game - they tend to leave good rooms for cheap which indeed benefits the next player more. But I don't feel this is a flaw in the game as any game with a large skill difference in the players will struggle not to benefit a specific other player through their actions.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Speaking of VotK Premium, I got mine a while ago and I think it's an edition that suffers from its upscaling. The tarot sized cards are unwieldy and their sleeves are slippery. Like, it's the perfect small game in a small box and the premium edition tosses that out. The iconography is worse despite the art as a whole being better. I do like the added unique set and the pharaoh cards. I guess it's a mixed bag. Simpler is better imo

See I'm fine with all of that, but they clearly didn't want to make another box template so they used the Tiny Towns box in production. There is an entire half of a box that I don't use and don't know how to use unless they release further Premium expansions. Also, I wish the Dividers were like half an inch taller.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shadow225 posted:

See I'm fine with all of that, but they clearly didn't want to make another box template so they used the Tiny Towns box in production. There is an entire half of a box that I don't use and don't know how to use unless they release further Premium expansions. Also, I wish the Dividers were like half an inch taller.

Not only that, the messed up the mold for the insert, so half of the box doesn't fit the cards:

AEG posted:

The box insert dimensions in the spec are the same on both sides but it appears the mold was in incorrectly formed and the right side is a few mm narrower than the spec.

from: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2268740/extra-box-space-upcoming-expansions

So if any future expansions ever come out, they won't be able to fit in the box!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Premium edition, folks.

That said, new box templates are surprisingly expensive. That's why so many board game boxes are the same size.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

u brexit ukip it posted:

I've only noticed this if one player is significantly less experienced at the game - they tend to leave good rooms for cheap which indeed benefits the next player more. But I don't feel this is a flaw in the game as any game with a large skill difference in the players will struggle not to benefit a specific other player through their actions.

It's a flaw in fixed turn order games, some have it worse than others, mkl is on the worse end I think.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2291265/designer-diary-1-whats-all-then

Cole Wehrle's latest project Oath, which is being made under Leder's brand with the Root artist Kyle Ferrin, just had it's BGG stub made and he posted a designer diary.

It sounds great.

Basically, a game with 350 cards, where only ~20 are used per game. The cards are locations that provide specific actions and abilities for those there. Players can try to keep the current order in place, or topple the order or somesuch to win.

The interesting bit is that depending on the end state of the game, the card set for the next game changes. This makes it a semi-legacy game, but with no actual characters or anything to track. The next game's starting state depends on the current game's end state. So that, after a half dozen plays, two peoples games will be entirely different.

There's also some not-rondel circle of actions, where taking one action weakens the action opposite to it or somesuch. He doesn't go into that here, but mentioned in his discord.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

silvergoose posted:

It's the same issue that's been around since Puerto Rico, if not older.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

golden bubble posted:

It's the same issue that's been around since Puerto Rico, if not older.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of in terms of also being on the worse end.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of in terms of also being on the worse end.

A new player paid me $15,000 in the first round for a regular green room since it was one of his goals. There’s plenty of possible new player problems but at least the game is pretty short and low complexity.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
That issue is just one of the many why Between Two Castles made me sell normal Ludwig from my collection.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

hito posted:

That issue is just one of the many why Between Two Castles made me sell normal Ludwig from my collection.

How does between two castles work anyway? I've played both halves.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

silvergoose posted:

Square tiles, city castle sharing and drafting from Between Two Cities; room types, freeform building and scoring from Ludwig.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mmmmmultitrack drifting!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

1844: Railways of the Dyscalculic Nazis

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

Mmmmmultitrack drifting!!

The box art implies production value, hard pass

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I really want to like this game... and it's fine, but has never gone over really well for me (over 3 or 4 attempts with different groups).

It seems like its niche should be "quick casual game, no bad feelings, supports big groups" - but it doesn't work well with casual players. It takes a long time to explain enough rules to start playing, people stumble on the iconography, the game state is opaque (people have no idea whether they're doing well), and it's a tremendous AP trap (with a million different tiles, a thousand places to put each, and endless little icons to count).

I also don't think it would work well when played seriously (not that I've really tried). To play seriously, you'd want to have at least a basic concept of what people are doing, and what sort of scores you have on your two castles - but you don't get that information without looking pretty deep. In 7 Wonders, you might not know every score exactly, but you can get enough information from a quick look ("he's taking Science" or "those two are in an arms race") that you can feel like your decisions are informed and you have some clarity on the game state. Here, it's hard enough to remember what you're doing in your own castles (wait, did I already get the orange bonus on this side?).

So yeah, the game works, but I think I'll be selling it.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Also feels like making the tiles all square (in both Palace and Between) kills a lot of the Fun of the original.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

My friend is selling off some games. Do I need 1824, 18MEX, 1817, and Talon+Expansion?

Yes, yes I do.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Ravendas posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2291265/designer-diary-1-whats-all-then

Cole Wehrle's latest project Oath, which is being made under Leder's brand with the Root artist Kyle Ferrin, just had it's BGG stub made and he posted a designer diary.

It sounds great.

Basically, a game with 350 cards, where only ~20 are used per game. The cards are locations that provide specific actions and abilities for those there. Players can try to keep the current order in place, or topple the order or somesuch to win.

The interesting bit is that depending on the end state of the game, the card set for the next game changes. This makes it a semi-legacy game, but with no actual characters or anything to track. The next game's starting state depends on the current game's end state. So that, after a half dozen plays, two peoples games will be entirely different.

There's also some not-rondel circle of actions, where taking one action weakens the action opposite to it or somesuch. He doesn't go into that here, but mentioned in his discord.

It's a solid ambition, hopefully it can be attached to a decent game

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Also feels like making the tiles all square (in both Palace and Between) kills a lot of the Fun of the original.

That would be my biggest concern, tbh; we do love fitting our weird shapes together.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey so I'm going to be teaching Mage Knight for a bit tommorrow in preperation for actually playing the game a week later. Any advice on like a short scenario to run (I've got 2 or so hours for 4 players) to get them into it?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

Hey so I'm going to be teaching Mage Knight for a bit tommorrow in preperation for actually playing the game a week later. Any advice on like a short scenario to run (I've got 2 or so hours for 4 players) to get them into it?

First Recon really is good for learning, but don't play in it yourself to keep it to 3p. If you must play it 4p, I suspect that the Open map (might need an extra tile or two?) will be better - I played 4p Recon and somebody got stuck in the back pretty fast and did not enjoy it. To improve speed, you could try using the Lost Relic scenario from Tezla but premake the characters, either randomly or doing the best you can for each.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah for the scenario you were talking about in discord, I think I'd do one of the open maps and just plan on doing a set number of rounds and encouraging quick play to just see what happens. Only way to make 4p tolerable, but it can work with you running things for them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
'17 is very highly regarded. I don’t like it because it’s nearly impossible to know how to short stocks unless you’ve played a ton and I don’t have a regular group to do that with.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

StashAugustine posted:

It ain't gonna happen chief.

For the record, I once did five player Mage Knight with four newbies. It took 13 hours. I doubt you could even get through a full day/night cycle in just two.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 12, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gutter Owl posted:

It ain't gonna happen chief.

For the record, I once did five player Mage Knight with four newbies. It took 13 hours. I doubt you could even get through a full day/night cycle in just two.

To be clear I 100% know I'm not actually going to finish anything, I'm just looking for something to get started so we can have a longer session later

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
I would second the intro scenario that the game provides. Just tell hte players it’s strictly a learning session and doesn’t give a true sense of the game

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Beffer posted:

I would second the intro scenario that the game provides. Just tell hte players it’s strictly a learning session and doesn’t give a true sense of the game

That will help, as the following weekend he'll be able to play it with two.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Arcane-Wonders-ARWW03AS-Air-Land/dp/B07NH4CJT1

Air Land & Sea is $11 on Amazon. One of the best games of the year and Knizia-esque in its simplicity and tension.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Has anyone got any tips on teaching Root? Little tips and things to point people in the right direction while playing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Has anyone got any tips on teaching Root? Little tips and things to point people in the right direction while playing?

Play it once to teach people how it works, play it again. Because of the asymmetric way people score points as well as play you need to know the knock on effects of your actions, notably trading with the vagabond.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Don't include the vagabond in the first game imho if you have the expansion or ideally play with 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Don't include the vagabond in the first game imho if you have the expansion or ideally play with 3.

Oh yeah this. Play Birds, Cats, Mice and Beavers. Don't play lizards and vagabonds.