Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

tbh when I see a hitler or an n bomb in asia I just think it's funny.

not everythings a "oh racist asians", it's just funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

its at least a 100% increase compared to the US market

e: The bad thread is like 3 months out from talking itself into voting Trump
it took almost 20 years but the pre-9/11 mentality of starting a new cold war with china has come to fruition

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BrainDance posted:

tbh when I see a hitler or an n bomb in asia I just think it's funny.

not everythings a "oh racist asians", it's just funny.

trevor noah has an entire anecdote in his book about the epic breakdancer named hitler and that time he pulled his sick moves at a bar mitzfah

youd thnk that story would have clued noah in to how most people worldwide really hated the anglo empire but apparently not

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I don't understand why protesters and old people can't both be hella racist.

Is this just another example of people who've never been to Asia talking with absolute certainty about a thing in Asia?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

who even are the other admins anyway facts are useless specifically said he wasnt anymore and the only other one i can think of is video games

Smythe, I think Jeffrey of YOSPOS is these days, LITERALLY A BIRD has an admin account though I think her role is limited...that might be it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bloodnose posted:

I don't understand why protesters and old people can't both be hella racist.

Is this just another example of people who've never been to Asia talking with absolute certainty about a thing in Asia?

my problem is, there's no evidence for those people being hella racist. if you know those people are racist i'll believe you, many people are incredibly lovely.

but a picture of people shopping in a store that has a bad english word on it 3 billion miles away from anglophone land isn't very relevant.

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

i found that taiwanese store on google earth and they changed the sign to read '黑人王' so they uh almost kiinda got the message. It certainly demonstrates less like actual prejudice and hatred for a group of people than like the hong kong locst ads or this poo poo anyway

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

what kinda racism are we talking about here?

Anyone who lives in Asia for more than maybe a few hours learns really fast how to talk around all the super uncomfortable blatant racism.
The n word in store names stuff is just whatever, but the "Doesnt Detroit have many black people? Arent you scared? Black people so angry" stuff, I dunno. That's a conversation I have to avoid a lot more in Asia than in Detroit.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its awkward sure but i try not to be a dick to people who are just trying to be less ignorant i mean lets face it they get most of these terrible ideas from our media in the first place

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

ya this poo poo is the explicit and coded racism that americas cultural exports are lousy with being reflected back thru the kaleidoscope of a second culture

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, that's just literal ignorance, often combined with aforementioned exportation of american racism. i see a black person in my town maybe once a month. many people who don't live in a big town never see one ever in my country.

by far the largest exposure of what black people look and act like is lovely american tv shows and straght to tv movies that are cheap to licence to air. you can probably see why that poo poo would easily give people the wrong ideas.

e;fb

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

do you have any specific examples because usually when i see this claimed its obsure products in niche markets no one has ever heard of not anything anyone has ever heard of

like the only racist logo i can recall ever having much prominence was the cleveland indians mascot but that was awhile ago

At work so not going to google it but the most famous is the cartoon black guy on toothepaste. All the major grocery stores sell it.

And it is absolutely my impression that the stuff about blacks is picked up from other cultures hangups, but I've yet to be in any part of Asia where it wasn't noticable that most the folks there hate every other variety of Asian. It reminded me of the Caucasus, everyone had a beef with their neighbors going back centuries. I guess Taiwan seemed super chill.

Eifert Posting has issued a correction as of 14:33 on Oct 11, 2019

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stocking posted:

i found that taiwanese store on google earth and they changed the sign to read '黑人王' so they uh almost kiinda got the message. It certainly demonstrates less like actual prejudice and hatred for a group of people than like the hong kong locst ads or this poo poo

Yeah I have met HKers online who think and talk like that. Just focus on the smallest difference of the outsiders and make fun of them ruthlessly. They can write decent enough English, but some how are too dense to recognize their xenophobia against all minorities group (minus the white people) starting from the mainlanders. And since they posted on a "Woke-ish" forum unlike this old rear end forum, they got banned promptly.

I was going to say if the HK society has more diversity, it would see their own ugliness in the mirror. But then I realized there have plenty of mainland immigrants over the last few decades. What they really need is more laws to guard against such discrimination publicly. You know how HK learnt its worst yellow journalism, paparazzi, made up poo poo and news smug from the UK but somehow UK has better news televisions than HK. Even Sky TV which was owned by Murdock talk like humans for the most part, that's because UK has good TV impartiality rules. Both the US and HK need it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

At work so not going to google it but the most famous is the cartoon black guy on toothepaste. All the major grocery stores sell it.

most toothpaste in korea is marketed by health benefits now i dont think ive seen a single brand with a mascot the entire time ive been here and im the kind of dork who spends way too much time obsessing over which toothpaste i should buy

the brand you appear to be talking about is darkie which ive never heard of before i dont think ive ever seen it for sale in korea but it also somewhat hilariously appears to be a colgate brand which uh is not exactly an argument for asian people being racist

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mainlanders depicted passing waste the safe & healthy way by squatting while Hong Kongers are content to have their very bowel movements colonized by the anglophilic imposition of sit down toilets, AGC

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sincx posted:

With R Guy gone the neocons neolibs and (literal) State Department plants are coming out of the woodworks in D&D.

speaking of, i asked there as well: what's the death toll in the uighur genocide like? how many thousands have been killed so far?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

most toothpaste in korea is marketed by health benefits now i dont think ive seen a single brand with a mascot the entire time ive been here and im the kind of dork who spends way too much time obsessing over which toothpaste i should buy

I was in Seoul 2 weeks ago and saw it without looking for it. Your Korea may vary.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Some Guy TT posted:

the brand you appear to be talking about is darkie which ive never heard of before i dont think ive ever seen it for sale in korea but it also somewhat hilariously appears to be a colgate brand which uh is not exactly an argument for asian people being racist

It was bought by Colgate in the 80s (edit: and the name and logo were changed after a very predictable shitstorm in the US) but the brand's older: it was created in the 1930s by a company in Shanghai and Hong Kong called Hawley & Hazel.

So it was still not exactly reflecting Chinese racist stereotypes of black people at the time, to stay the least...

Kassad has issued a correction as of 14:57 on Oct 11, 2019

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's a major brand in China and it still goes by the original name, 黑人牙膏

Yeah it's from ignorance or not giving a poo poo about western issues that dont affect them, and it's imported from western pop culture. It still exists, and it's either funny or a shame I guess.

You ever have a conversation with some Chinese people about Indian people though? That seems more homegrown, and it gets pretty intense.

Eifert Posting posted:

I was in Seoul 2 weeks ago and saw it without looking for it. Your Korea may vary.

I remember seeing it in Korea too, but I don't remember if they softened the name in Korean or not. I wanna say they did, because if they didn't I probably would have remembered the name better.

BrainDance has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Oct 11, 2019

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Some Guy TT posted:

I remember distinctly watching a HK commercial back in mid 80s that it changed it name (to Darlie). It was a popular brand, and there is a Chinese rip off called "Black Girl" toothpaste, which the same font design but no drawing of any kind, just the name. You can still buy them.

https://www.jd.com/pinpai/16806-62368.html

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

i tried digging a little harder and while i could find some indiciation of brand awareness none of the pictures had any korean packaging it appears to be being sold explicitly as a foreign product although the country of origin changes entirely depending on whos selling it

where you could have found this i have no idea im cheesed that i cant find that shampoo i like that makes my scalp feel really cool or salt and vinegar pringles but you can find wacky foreign racist toothpaste by accident somehow

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
黑人牙膏 might have started in Shanghai but it migrated over to Taiwan with the KMT and it's one of the most popular brands here. I actually didn't know it was significantly exported anywhere, even mainland.

edit: it has 75% market share in Taiwan lmao

whatever7 posted:

I have been watching some youtube videos of Taiwanese working in mainland and talk about lives in mainland. I found them very interesting.

I also have come acrossed some Malay Chinese youtubers who talk and act like very normal Chinese Chinese. I also find their lives very interesting.

share these

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 15:56 on Oct 11, 2019

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That toothpaste is also sorta the ground floor of how a lot of asian racism functions,

"no no its not racist, it's called that because black people's teeth look really white"

ignorant; mild, inert prejudice (in this instance); stereotype hailing from bygone north american cultural export; shamelessly defended when called out

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

they did change the English branding from darkie to darlie and modified the branding from a minstrel show era black man to dapper white guy so someone from Colgate was at least that culturally sensitive

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Modest Mao posted:

黑人牙膏 might have started in Shanghai but it migrated over to Taiwan with the KMT and it's one of the most popular brands here. I actually didn't know it was significantly exported anywhere, even mainland.

edit: it has 75% market share in Taiwan lmao

share these

A Taiwanese and a Malay Chinese talk about working in mainland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wpvvBpNdg

A visiting Taiwanese chats with a Taiwanese who live in mainland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I9oi16s8Sw

A Chinese (Guangxiren) who went to school in Germany and settle there for 20+ years
I wish he actually has a kid, if he does I would relate to him more.

I will post more when I come across more.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
something to think about, holy poo poo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mila kunis posted:

speaking of, i asked there as well: what's the death toll in the uighur genocide like? how many thousands have been killed so far?

this isn’t an easy question to answer when sources are poor and the sources that exist have an incentive to lie, but what China is doing to the Uighur population is less genocide and more ethnic cleansing. It is not, at least insofar as can be told from the outside, an attempt to kill and slaughter, it’s an attempt to bend and break and erase a culture and religious minority they find inconvenient, troublesome, or dangerous.

It’s why I still think the best relative comparison is the North American forced boarding school system perpetrated against Native Americans. That system, too, was not trying to kill the Native population, although it too undoubtedly resulted in death and physical abuse. It was trying to destroy the concept of being Native.

In that case too, North America justified the program as for the good of Native people, and further justified violence and cultural erasure as necessary due to violence on the part of Native people, ignoring why that violence came to be in the first place. Terrorism and sectarian violence doesn’t happen in a vacuum - there’s usually a background history of tension or oppression to motivate the minority group.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think the more modern comparison to make here is how Ataturk Turkicized Turkey in the process of creating a nation-state. And if that's the measuring stick, then the evidence for China trying to Sinicize Uighurs is pretty weak to be honest.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

while we're on the subject, how much about the reports of China's anti-Islam policies are accurate? i do know that non-Chinese names are banned to some extent- my ex married a Pakistani man and had to go to the US to give her son the name they wanted. i'm not sure whether that extends to all people there or just to couple with at least one Han parent

frankly, i'm kind of worried about her family and her

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think the more modern comparison to make here is how Ataturk Turkicized Turkey in the process of creating a nation-state.
Ataturk was a Turk who made it his mission to change the culture that he belonged to. the Xinjiang situation seems to be more about Han culture imposing itself on a different culture that is considered to be troublesome. i think the Native schools thing is more accurate in that case

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Oct 11, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

while we're on the subject, how much about the reports of China's anti-Islam policies are accurate? i do know that non-Chinese names are banned to some extent- my ex married a Pakistani man and had to go to the US to give her son the name they wanted. i'm not sure whether that extends to all people there or just to couple with at least one Han parent

frankly, i'm kind of worried about her family and her

How do you feel about free boarding school?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

How do you feel about free boarding school?
she's wealthy enough to ensure that her son will be educated in the US when he's of high school age, which was another reason why she came here

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ataturk was a Turk who made it his mission to change the culture that he belonged to. the Xinjiang situation seems to be more about Han culture imposing itself on a different culture that is considered to be troublesome. i think the Native schools thing is more accurate in that case

Anatolia used to be multicultural before Ataturk forcibly Turkicized everything resembling Greek & Arabic culture, until only Kurds were left as a large identifiable ethnic group separate from Turks. There was also a big population swap bettween Turkey & Greece at the time where nationals were repatriated. Any Greeks remaining in Turkey had to take Turk names.

In any case, that's not what's happening in China. They banned a list of names they consider "too extreme," but they didn't ban non-Chinese names. You can still give your kids traditional Uighur or Arabic names as long as they're not on the list. So it's heavy handed and stupid, but they're not forcing everyone to have Chinese names.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

she's wealthy enough to ensure that her son will be educated in the US when he's of high school age, which was another reason why she came here

Honestly, if she's wealthy, apolitical and able to freely travel internationally she will probably be fine. The real goal is to crush any potential dissidents.

All that being said, I absolutely wouldn't risk living in China as/with/adjacent to Muslim(s), though. All it takes is your name showing up on some list.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think the more modern comparison to make here is how Ataturk Turkicized Turkey in the process of creating a nation-state. And if that's the measuring stick, then the evidence for China trying to Sinicize Uighurs is pretty weak to be honest.

Nah the closest example is the anti rightist camps. See the CCP actually believe in brainwashing/reeducation. As for how many people got killed, probably comparable to the rightist camp, which mean not a lot but you will never find a concrete number.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vox Nihili posted:

Honestly, if she's wealthy, apolitical and able to freely travel internationally she will probably be fine. The real goal is to crush any potential dissidents.

All that being said, I absolutely wouldn't risk living in China as/with/adjacent to Muslim(s), though. All it takes is your name showing up on some list.

You got to download the Xi app to grind.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

this isn’t an easy question to answer when sources are poor and the sources that exist have an incentive to lie, but what China is doing to the Uighur population is less genocide and more ethnic cleansing. It is not, at least insofar as can be told from the outside, an attempt to kill and slaughter, it’s an attempt to bend and break and erase a culture and religious minority they find inconvenient, troublesome, or dangerous.

It’s why I still think the best relative comparison is the North American forced boarding school system perpetrated against Native Americans. That system, too, was not trying to kill the Native population, although it too undoubtedly resulted in death and physical abuse. It was trying to destroy the concept of being Native.

In that case too, North America justified the program as for the good of Native people, and further justified violence and cultural erasure as necessary due to violence on the part of Native people, ignoring why that violence came to be in the first place. Terrorism and sectarian violence doesn’t happen in a vacuum - there’s usually a background history of tension or oppression to motivate the minority group.
the native american example also conveniently comes packaged with an example of a demonstration of the definition of genocide

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so in addition to the alleged ethnic cleansing aspects, wouldn't the allegations of mass detention be comparable to the concentration camps that the US ran for japanese people in the 1940s and the mass concentration camps we are literally running right now? there's lots of verifiable evidence here in the mainstream press of torture, sexual abuse, deaths, but we didn't call this genocide even if these concentration camps are a human rights atrocity and could be a prelude to genocide

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

comedyblissoption posted:

so in addition to the alleged ethnic cleansing aspects, wouldn't the allegations of mass detention be comparable to the concentration camps that the US ran for japanese people in the 1940s and the mass concentration camps we are literally running right now? there's lots of verifiable evidence here in the mainstream press of torture, sexual abuse, deaths, but we didn't call this genocide even if these concentration camps are a human rights atrocity and could be a prelude to genocide

I think the most favorable possible comparison (for China) is that the Xinjiang camps are comparable to the US Japanese internment camps during WWII. Of course, the internment camps were the product of racial hysteria and were insanely evil and inexcusable, even in a wartime context.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 22:52 on Oct 11, 2019

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Truga posted:

my problem is, there's no evidence for those people being hella racist. if you know those people are racist i'll believe you, many people are incredibly lovely.

but a picture of people shopping in a store that has a bad english word on it 3 billion miles away from anglophone land isn't very relevant.

So there’s some truth that misuse of racial slurs etc is just ignorance and doesn’t indicate active, deep seated racism like you get in the US.

Nonetheless open casual racism against “bad” minorities is the *norm* in Asia. It’s not as much of a social and economic issue as it is in the US because there’s generally far fewer minorities from overseas (local minorities like indigenous people are also around obviously but the relationship there tends to be more complex) as opposed to the US where you have populations of people that have been discriminated against for hundreds of years and are a considerable portion of the population.

Note it’s still laughable that you’re coming here talking about this comparing Eastern Europe (?!) with Asia and telling people to “looks at world politics” or summat. A bunch of the people you’re talking to here have lived in Asia for many years and speak the local language fluently; you’re the rolling up and speaking out of ignorance on things “3 billion miles away”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so i'm looking into these allegations at websites like this:
http://worldwithoutgenocide.org/genocides-and-conflicts/genocide-of-the-uyghurs-in-western-china

and the allegations are definitely what I would count as "cultural genocide"

but the allegations do not include systematic wide scale murder planned or otherwise

if we in the united states were to apply the same standards to ourselves in a colloquial manner, as far as i'm aware we wouldn't call our oppressive re-education policies of indigenous people and so on trying to erase their culture as "genocide". that term is reserved for stuff like the mass murder of native americans, the centuries of war, and the mass forced relocation from ancestral homelands to undesirable land

so when people call out people for denying the "uyghur genocide", are they referring to just these allegations of "cultural genocide", mass surveillance, oppression, and imprisonment?

i think this should be pretty concerning given the western media's history of fabricating claims of mass murder and callously throwing around the term genocide since it would undermine action on genocides (i.e. mass murder) that turned out to be actually happening. is the western media conflating erasure of culture and mass murder by using the term genocide and confusing people? am i just the crazy person for thinking using the term genocide for cultural erasure and mass oppression is inappropriate given we don't apply those same standards and definitions to our own US history?