Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Rynoto posted:

Breeding in any bloodline that attracts great warriors is worth it just for the amazing commanders it spits out.

Shame those can be hard to finagle for certain religions, basically relying on lil warrior philosopher or getting really lucky with a lodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I usually try to get the bloodline via ambition first, before warrior lodge bloodline. Most of the time I go for the Warrior Philosopher bloodline, as extra movement speed is always nice, especially for raiders or nomads. Establishing Tributaries is a good way to amass the prestige you need, especially if you border lots of small realms, and also covers the base of being the victor in 15 foreign wars. Vanilla historical bloodlines are okay, but ATE has two or three bloodlines that grant +2 martial or stewardship, but they often die out quickly because they're held by rulers of small, weak realms.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Neurion posted:

I usually try to get the bloodline via ambition first, before warrior lodge bloodline. Most of the time I go for the Warrior Philosopher bloodline, as extra movement speed is always nice, especially for raiders or nomads. Establishing Tributaries is a good way to amass the prestige you need, especially if you border lots of small realms, and also covers the base of being the victor in 15 foreign wars. Vanilla historical bloodlines are okay, but ATE has two or three bloodlines that grant +2 martial or stewardship, but they often die out quickly because they're held by rulers of small, weak realms.

Man I always forget about tributary wars

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

a fatguy bald spot posted:

Man I always forget about tributary wars

They are super important if you're a pagan that isn't norse because Russia is a frozen wasteland with no money and you need to steal every last cent of it. Even with a long list of tributaries I got lucky and made the book that gives you +3 monthly income and that accounts for 50% of my income.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Toying around with “coming out” as Hellenic in my Sicily game, but don’t see any way it’ll stick yet. Started in 769 and have just gained independence in 802 as the Duke of Sicily and Tripoli and got Hellenic as a lunatic or posssed. I guess it would have been easier to stay in the ERE, but that wasn’t really my goal at the beginning and the Hellenic thing just happened.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

KDdidit posted:

Toying around with “coming out” as Hellenic in my Sicily game, but don’t see any way it’ll stick yet. Started in 769 and have just gained independence in 802 as the Duke of Sicily and Tripoli and got Hellenic as a lunatic or posssed. I guess it would have been easier to stay in the ERE, but that wasn’t really my goal at the beginning and the Hellenic thing just happened.

You need a VERY secure powerbase before holding an slice of Italy as a non Christian because the Christians are super crusade happy about that reason. I'm not sure if Sicily is any easier to hold onto but I'd be worried. It might work if you can breakk up the Karling blob, or somehow see them get excommunicated so they won't like the pope.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah if catholicism has a double digit MA you can be pretty much guaranteed that holding any part of italy as a non-christian will get the pope to declare crusade on you at his earliest opportunity. and don't make the mistake of thinking you can probably sort it out because hey this pope is kind of a crappy one and isn't super popular.

this isn't like jihad. the rewards from participating in any way are just too high. if a crusade is called, you had better settle in to fight the majority of the catholic world. anyone that is not outright excommunicated has a very high chance of showing up; that includes individual counts and dukes, IN ADDITION TO their ruling sovereigns.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Coolguye posted:

this isn't like jihad. the rewards from participating in any way are just too high. if a crusade is called, you had better settle in to fight the majority of the catholic world. anyone that is not outright excommunicated has a very high chance of showing up; that includes individual counts and dukes, IN ADDITION TO their ruling sovereigns.

Defending from a crusade in Italy is easy, you just siege all of Pope's holdings before the clown car arrives, 100% warscore, win

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Pyromancer posted:

Defending from a crusade in Italy is easy, you just siege all of Pope's holdings before the clown car arrives, 100% warscore, win

Not even just Italy. Thanks to the advanced warning of 2 years you can try to get your troops parked over Rome just before the crusade starts and try to siege/assault it down before poo poo gets bad.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I thought they patched out that exploit

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the only real way to patch that exploit is to finally implement a system where the Pope actually pops up a new papal state somewhere else after Rome has been taken instead of becoming an ethereal being calling crusades from the void. Otherwise it makes a fair amount of sense.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyromancer posted:

I wonder, how many can you get on one character? I've had characters founding 3 - one from forge bloodline ambition, one from warrior society legend and one from religion for sacrificing lots of people. I think if I've set the goal of maximum bloodlines from starting character duelist bloodline was possible to add to those, and something for forming massive titles, and second religious one if I picked doctrines in pagan reformation for that.

I had four on one once:

(because he's Ragnarr Lodbrok, he also got one for free for being the historical character, which isn't pictured here)

What he got is the historical Ragnarr one, one forged bloodline (the murder one), one warrior lodge one for doing a legendary gathering, and one that gets awarded if you sacrifice a shitload of people (I reformed Germanic Paganism with the bloodthirsty gods doctrine). If I'd formed the empire of Scandinavia within his lifetime he theoretically could have been eligible for the "heir to Alexander" event chain too, although that would come down to random chance. He also could have picked up the duellist bloodline if I'd done more duelling.

(Just for fun, here was that character's kill count:)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 10, 2019

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

In my current game I've looted the bell from the Hagia Sophia, and now its an artifact. Since I'm a nomad, I like to imagine that's its rigged up to a cart and brought into battle like a Screaming Bell from Warhammer.

EDIT: So I just conquered a lot of counties, and I am debating what to do with the holdings. Up until now, I've been pillaging loving everything, but I do eventually want to settle, ideally as a Merchant Republic. Has my prior looting and plundering effectively handicap that option, or can I just leave some holdings un-destroyed so I have a place to settle?

EDIT2: After thinking about it, I decided my goal for this game is to beat Ghengis Khan, Nomad v Nomad. So I'll be going all in regardless.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 11, 2019

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT2: After thinking about it, I decided my goal for this game is to beat Ghengis Khan, Nomad v Nomad. So I'll be going all in regardless.

I'd say Good Luck, but Nomads are insanely powerful and capable of practically exponential growth, so if you're any good you'll mop the floor with him.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah the one game I tried playing as a nomad I quickly had the largest most powerful army in the world and was like I don't want to burn the world to just be grassland so I said gently caress it and invaded India. Unfortunately, or fortunately for me, most of India was in a giant hugbox, so you know I conquered 3/4 of the subcontinent and made most of that Mongol/Tengri when I settled too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I've been really enjoying HIP - minus the horrible UI and map mods - and its changes to make exponential growth harder.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do I get a CK2 game to export to EU4?

I used the Export Game option on the Escape menu, and it appeared to work, but I can't find the game on the EU4 launcher.

It doesn't help that apparently the EU4 launcher has been updated since all the video tutorials on exporting/importing were made and thus looks completely different.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Rynoto posted:

I've been really enjoying HIP - minus the horrible UI and map mods - and its changes to make exponential growth harder.

SWMH or whatever? What’s wrong with it? I’ve been using the whole thing and it’s pretty fun

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've started a pagan Norse game after my first proper foray in Ireland. Can someone link me to a guide (or give some pointers) on how to go feudal? Assuming that is my ultimate course.

I understand I need to either go Catholic (somehow?) or reform the Germanic religion which seems really hard...

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Annath posted:

How do I get a CK2 game to export to EU4?

I used the Export Game option on the Escape menu, and it appeared to work, but I can't find the game on the EU4 launcher.

It doesn't help that apparently the EU4 launcher has been updated since all the video tutorials on exporting/importing were made and thus looks completely different.

No worries, detective ilitarist is on the case.

They've changed the way mods work in EU4 so that they don't fill up your Documents folder. But CK2 wasn't notified. When you export the game it's placed in your documents folder, e.g. c:\Users\ilitaristShouldRememberHisParentsReallyLovedHim\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\eu4_export\mod There you find a .mod file as well as folder. Copy them to c:\Users\ilitaristShouldAcceptHimself\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod\ and launch EU4. There you'll see your game in the list of mods.

I have to say right now it works much better than I remember. Last time I've checked countries didn't get right traditions. Right now even countries with different names and flags get corresponding traditions. I've exported 1337 game and Pannonia got Hungarian traditions and Kievan Rus and Bahri got something that looks like Muscowy and Mamluk traditions but was named as if those were their own unique traditions.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Red_Fred posted:

I've started a pagan Norse game after my first proper foray in Ireland. Can someone link me to a guide (or give some pointers) on how to go feudal? Assuming that is my ultimate course.

I understand I need to either go Catholic (somehow?) or reform the Germanic religion which seems really hard...

Germanic is probably the easiest to reform. You need to have at least 3 Germanic Holy Sites in your realm, the easiest for Norse being the temple at Uppsala, the temple at Nidaros, and a temple in Denmark (forget its name). The other two are controlled by Saxony and Francia in the 769 start, and I forget who in the 867 start. Pick Become King of X (sweden, denmark, norway) as your ambition and subjugate your neighbors until you can form the kingdom. Once you're a King you can Force Vassalization on dukes, which costs 1000 prestige per war. Where do you get all that prestige? Raiding a poo poo-ton once the Viking age begins. Once you control the 3 holy sites, you also need 750 piety (pick the Theology Focus if you have the Way of Life DLC, or keep raiding a lot, you get awarded a little bit of piety for each siege.) You also need 50% or higher Moral Authority. Each temple of any other religion raided will add +1% to your MA for a few years, so pick targets with easy to reach temples, like Ireland. Once you meet all the criteria, an alert should appear that you can reform the religion.

To convert to Catholicism (or any organized religion) you can get a woman of said religion as your consort or wife and then convert to her religion. This is the quickest but riskiest way, as you will then have to deal with vassals of the old religion who will not be very keen on you. The other way is to pass the laws to bring Tribal Organization up to Medium, then petition a nearby realm to sponsor a mass conversion (you can see who is willing to convert you from the Religion tab.) This also has risks of some of your vassals refusing the conversion (usually vassals who dislike you or are zealous) and launching a war against you. After you put down the rebellion it's the option that leads to a more stable realm, as it will also convert a bunch of your provinces to the new religion.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 12, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

SWMH or whatever? What’s wrong with it? I’ve been using the whole thing and it’s pretty fun

Losing a start date and big chunks of the east in exchange for a revamped map of dubious quality. If you're only interested in Europe then it's probably better though I still think the province balance is pretty wonky.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neurion posted:

Germanic is probably the easiest to reform. You need to have at least 3 Germanic Holy Sites in your realm, the easiest for Norse being the temple at Uppsala, the temple at Nidaros, and a temple in Denmark (forget its name). The other two are controlled by Saxony and Francia in the 769 start, and I forget who in the 867 start. Pick Become King of X (sweden, denmark, norway) as your ambition and subjugate your neighbors until you can form the kingdom. Once you're a King you can Force Vassalization on dukes, which costs 1000 prestige per war. Where do you get all that prestige? Raiding a poo poo-ton once the Viking age begins. Once you control the 3 holy sites, you also need 750 piety (pick the Theology Focus if you have the Way of Life DLC, or keep raiding a lot, you get awarded a little bit of piety for each siege.) You also need 50% or higher Moral Authority. Each temple of any other religion raided will add +1% to your MA for a few years, so pick targets with easy to reach temples, like Ireland. Once you meet all the criteria, an alert should appear that you can reform the religion.

To convert to Catholicism (or any organized religion) you can get a woman of said religion as your consort or wife and then convert to her religion. This is the quickest but riskiest way, as you will then have to deal with vassals of the old religion who will not be very keen on you. The other way is to pass the laws to bring Tribal Organization up to Medium, then petition a nearby realm to sponsor a mass conversion (you can see who is willing to convert you from the Religion tab.) This also has risks of some of your vassals refusing the conversion (usually vassals who dislike you or are zealous) and launching a war against you. After you put down the rebellion it's the option that leads to a more stable realm, as it will also convert a bunch of your provinces to the new religion.

Thanks for this. What are the pros and cons of each approach?

How do I deal with gavelkind while I’m working towards this? I’m assuming it will take a couple of generations to get it all done.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Rynoto posted:

Losing a start date and big chunks of the east in exchange for a revamped map of dubious quality. If you're only interested in Europe then it's probably better though I still think the province balance is pretty wonky.

the reasoning for removing lots of the east is performance I think, and my laptop is garbage so I go with it every time. I do remember preferring the normal map for Africa runs tho

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

How do I deal with gavelkind while I’m working towards this? I’m assuming it will take a couple of generations to get it all done.

The main thing is getting a kingdom title within one generation. Once you have that, your realm will only split if you control 50% or more of the de jure territory of a second kingdom, so if you form your kingdom and are sitting on an old ruler, you can just pause your conquests for a bit until their heir takes over and have them blitz the rest of the stuff you need. You can keep raiding temples while you're waiting, too, to get the MA of the religion up since you know you'll need it later anyway.

Generally the pro of going the "conversion" route is that it's easy. You can do it at any time with no requirements. With Holy Fury you can even go to a Catholic lord and ask for a mass conversion, which will help convert a bunch of your territory, too. This also means that your realm will generally be pretty safe because you'll have a shitload of potential allies on the mainland. The cons are that you're then playing a boring old Catholic game and if you wanted that you could have just picked someone in France or Italy or wherever.

The pro of the "reform" route is that pagan religions are extremely powerful, and with Holy Fury reforming allows you to custom tailor your religion to suit your playstyle (although even without HF, the default reformed Germanic Paganism is very good). Pagans are very strong in the early game but suffer in the late game because they're usually stuck as tribal - reformed pagans lose that downside but keep all the upsides. The cons of this route are that it's a lot more work and you can run into setbacks due to gavelkind splitting your realm at inconvenient times, although for Germanic Pagans this isn't a big deal because they're in a very good position to reform easily and getting it all done in a single generation is not that unusual. The other con is that you will typically be the only realm of your religion so you will be surrounded by enemies forever - but you will probably be strong enough that they won't want to mess with you, and you aren't a priority crusade target unless you really start to punch into the mainland.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Even if your realm does split, you get strong claims on any top level title that you lose, and tribals can even duel over strong claims. And since tribal elective tends to pick tough guys, you'll likely be able dunk on the junior heirs without much trouble. You really don't need to worry about gavelkind too much, it'll only be a problem if you get unlucky and have a few successive short reigns

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I think if you have one of the expansions, or maybe not, you can use strong claim duels to reunite your realm

dang, beaten in a strong claim duel to this reply

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I think if you have one of the expansions, or maybe not, you can use strong claim duels to reunite your realm

dang, beaten in a strong claim duel to this reply

This was added with Holy Fury but I'm not 100% sure if it requires HF or was just included as part of the patch.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Red_Fred posted:

If you want to expand and make your mark on the world, reforming Germanic is the better option. You will gain access to Holy War CBs, still have access to single-county Conquest CBs, etc. You will also be able to pick the traits of the reformed faith, which can help you customize your playstyle. Before reforming, though, you should do all the conquesting you intend to do among the other pagan realms, as once you reform you are on the "other side" of the pagan/organize religion divide, and your forces will suffer major supply limit penalties in unreformed pagan lands (including your former faith, I think.) I tend to try and get enough territory to make an Empire-tier title before I reform. Likewise, you will also LOSE your supply limit penalties that would apply to your Catholic enemies, so they may be a bit more bold in attacking your lands. With all of the raiding you do into Catholic lands, though, you will probably tank their Moral Authority, so large catholic realms might find themselves too busy dealing with infighting and heretics to bother attacking you.

If you intend to convert to Catholicism (or any other organized faith)...

Conversion via spouse/concubine is very risky but very quick. Right click her portrait and Secretly Convert, then right click yourself and Personally Adopt Faith. Like I said, your vassals will not follow this decision and will still be Germanic. If you do not have Title Revocation or Religious Revocation passed then you will be in a very weak position, as you will not be able to easily deal with vassals that hate you. You can, of course, Demand Religious Conversion of your vassals, but they have to like you enough and there's a good chance they will still secretly practice Germanic. You will also be vulnerable to attacks from the outside. Other realms will be more than happy to declare single-county conquests on you (unreformed pagans cannot use the Holy War CB), and with your vassals already disliking you they will be unlikely to come to your aid in defensive wars. Another problem is if any of your tribal holdings have a religion that does not match your own you will receive a decent levy size penalty. All in all, this method of conversion is only really useful if you are already a reformed pagan or you're non-pagan.

Mass Conversion is your best option, as not only will loyal vassals join in the conversion, a fair chunk of your realms provinces will also convert, allowing you to avoid the Wrong Religion levy penalty. Mass Conversion will also cause your heirs and Germanic courtiers to convert as well, sparing you trouble down the line.

So yeah, long and short of it, if you wanna carve a big chunk out of Europe for yourself, reform Germanic. If you wanna live among the Catholic realms in "harmony", convert.

As far as Gavelkind is concerned, it's not too big a deal if you can make sure your primary heir has good stats and traits, and thanks to Elective Gavelkind (and using favors to call in support for succession) you should have little trouble making sure the heir you want is the primary heir. Once the realm splits all of the heirs will get Strong claims on each others' primary titles (and possibly other titles too). As long as your primary heir gets the realm with greater military might you can easily launch a war against the other heirs to press your claims. The only thing to look out for in these cases is how it will dramatically increase your Threat level and create defensive pacts against you (if you have those turned on).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also of note is that going feudal and getting primogeniture just destroys your levy numbers.

I actually had a pretty good Byzantine game once where the slavics reformed on their own and made the Wendish empire, and I just marched up there and made them into tributaries. They didn't have many troops to offer, but I liked having a pet pagan while I was oozing across Europe.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Speaking of Norse conversions:

The descendants of Ragnar want to convert to... zoroastrianism? :confuoot:

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I posted a quick Germanic tutorial at some point, let me find it.

quote:

For Sweden, look east. See all those 1-2 county Slavs, Fins, and Romuva all along the Baltic Sea? Wouldnt it be nice to have them paying you a little cash? wouldnt it be nice to have another ally to call into your wars if you need to? Declare Extort Tribute wars on them. ALL of them. If you can declare it, do it. All at once if you are feeling brave. Sure, take your time to take your levies home, before disbanding them. But keep rolling those wars. You will have 2000-3000 vikings. Most of the pagans to your east will have a few hundred at most. Then you can call those you beat into more wars as allies. Put the entire north under your boot. Declare Subjugation war on Saxony or any other King if Denmark has formed. Call in the Romuva, Slavs, and Suomenusko you subjugated in as allies to help you win that war. Become a King. Tell every Viking count to vassalize that are touching your borders. Reform Germanic. Pick fights with Francia and Conquer all of England and the British Isles. Form the Empire of Britannia. Have a dragon as your national flag. Burn Everything touching the ocean with treasure fleets heading back to your capital. Burn more than that. no.. MORE. Dont ever stop burning things. Anything you burn, Conquer it. Burn with your Retinues, then invade with levies. Burn more!

As for improving your personal holdings as the Jarl of Sweden, your vassals have at most 2 kids. no one else has claims on those counties. Plot to kill everyone in the line of inheritance. if a vassal dies with no heir, it goes back to the high lord to do as he sees fit. As a tribal, you want to stay at your demense limit.

quote:

I had no idea a tribal extorting tribute from other tribals could snowball so well. Usually, I try and conquer other tribals, or directly vassalize them. This game, as Sweden 769, I watched as Saxony ate Denmark right after Denmark ate Austergotland who had eaten Vestergotland. Then the Saxon King Theoderic died, shattering it into Denmark, Saxony, Sweden, with me ruling a band of counties across northern Sweden and Norway.

I decided to turn east, as the various Kings fought for consolidation over their claims. It took them about 5 years before they were back as a super king, able to call on about 12k men each. I was declaring Extort Tribute wars across every 1-2 county Slav, Romuva, and Suomenusko Count and Petty King I could. All of them. At once.

Because I could field 4k men from my own personal levies, nothing any one enemy could bring could threaten me, and as it was 100 small wars vs 1 war with defensive allies, enemy stacks happened on accident as they all fought for their own priorities. My allied Norse I called in acted as a distraction, and once they were gathered into a lump, a second 4k stack that I directed to siege things to end wars as fast as possible. It took a few years, but every tribal I could extort in the north now owed me tribute.

As a tribal in that early start, 8g a month is nothing to sneeze at. It was time to wait, build up my holdings, and wait for Saxony to have a time of weakness and subjugate them for their 3 king titles. Then I noticed I missed a count down in Pomerania, he wasnt paying me Tribute. gently caress it, declare war, call in allies let them handle it. I then learned Tribals you are extorting tribute from can be called in just like Vassal Tribals.

The entire north rises up in a tidal wave of warriors to place me on the Norse Throne, as Slav, Romuva, and Suomenusko join Norse in subjugating Saxony for me to make me Lord of all Germanics.

Tributaries will want to call you into their wars. I always said yes if they were attacking. it got me more power. I ended up with Novgorod and Estonia forming under my watch, as Tributary Kings, as they had that backstop of my prestige retinues to give them courage.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 13, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for all the responses people! Just to confirm with regards to gavelkind; I'm currently king of Norway with two duchy titles (my capital one and one next to it). Is it in my best interest to have weak duchy setups? So instead of owning all of the counties in two duchies myself just have random counties? I'm just thinking if I lose a duchy with all the counties to one person that would create a "super duke" right?

From all the responses I think I'll aim for reformed Germanic!

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

You want your capital duchy as much yours as you can as a tribal. Each gets +25% levy, and your capital county gets +50% with a Martial training troops there. Your second Duchy, again, should all be yours, to your demesne limit. Having land in other people's duchies gives them hate toward you, and they will start plotting bullshit. A super Duke is a duke with two duchy titles, and similar lands and troops to you, their King. A tribal has the advantage of having a rather high vassal limit, as well as a high demesne limit. You dont NEED dukes other than yourself in your kingdoms, until you are directly ruling way more than you think.

The advantage of having a bunch of strong viking Jarls under you is they will expand your kingdom for you if given half a chance. Having formed the Fylkirate, Ive accidentally ended up owning Britannia as vikings took the British isles when i was paying attention to other things. As long as you can form a top title, like King, reformation wars after gavalkind are not that bad. You will have claims to the other kingdoms, they will be weak, and you can just take those titles back. Having an Empire protects your holdings even better.

For some excellent stability in your realm, reform Norse with Proselytizing, Sons of Ragnarok, Eldership, and Temporal if you want to be Viking Pope. You can then move off of Gavalkind, take Eldership. The 5 oldest in your realm will pick someone if your dynasty to get everything. Your vassals will make it their job to convert their counties where ever possible. This does have the downside of your vassals snowballing as generations go on.

Edit: Also, if you are a Norse Germanic King, just tell all the Norse Germanic counts touching your borders "I'm your lord now, deal with it." they will vassalize.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 13, 2019

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Red_Fred posted:

Thanks for all the responses people! Just to confirm with regards to gavelkind; I'm currently king of Norway with two duchy titles (my capital one and one next to it). Is it in my best interest to have weak duchy setups? So instead of owning all of the counties in two duchies myself just have random counties? I'm just thinking if I lose a duchy with all the counties to one person that would create a "super duke" right?

From all the responses I think I'll aim for reformed Germanic!

I tend to keep the duchy that my capital is in and hand out other duchies to whomever. While you're tribal it's usually best to hold onto all the counties in your capital duchy and give away counties outside of it. You should always give away the counties with the fewest holding slots first, as tribal buildings are more effective the more empty holding slots there are.

Once you adopt Feudalism or become a Merchant Republic your max demense size will decrease a bit. If your capital county has a lot of empty holding slots in it then it would be wise to build lots of castles in that county. All of the castles in your capital county get a levy bonus, and with your Marshal's Train Troops task you can boost your max levies further.

Edit: Another important thing to keep in mind: Tribals can only call their IMMEDIATE vassals to war. They cannot call vassals of vassals. If you're a king and call your dukes to war they will only field the troops in their own demense; counts under your dukes cannot be called to war. So if you want to have a powerful realm it's actually in your best interest to have "super dukes." Also, due to the way gavelkind works, your dukes will have their holdings split up amongst their own heirs, so a generation or two down the line that dukedom will probably not have one guy holding all the county titles.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 13, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The easiest religion to reform is Hellenism as the Byzantines, really.

You start off controlling 3 of the 5 Holy Sites and are in a very strong position to conquer the other two (Rome and Alexandria). In addition, along the way, you can grab Jerusalem, and juuuuust before you openly proclaim yourself Hellenic (if you control all 5 Holy Sites you can reform the religion regardless of its moral authority) you can (and should) Mend the Great Schism, which will practically disable Crusades, which is your main threat as any Pagan. Also enact the law for free religious revocation and remove the council's authority to approve revocation.

Once you've reformed, you can demand conversion of your vassals, and revoke the title from any who won't. This will absolutely tank Orthodox religious authority- causing the formerly completely Catholic west to fall into an orgy of heresy- and makes it easier for you to convert provinces over to Hellenism. And because you exist in a state of viceroys, you can rotate the viceroyalty around the de jure vassals of that region, and giving them the title greatly increases their respect for you, which makes them more willing to convert. Within a generation or so you should have reduced Orthodoxy into a minority and within another generation or so it should only persist as a secret cult.

In addition if you go with Hierocratic leadership the Pontifex Maximus will occasionally call Great Holy Wars for you, and as the most powerful Hellenic realm, you can use those as extra bonus Invasion CBs (and you can get the Alexander bloodline which helps you conquer even more faster).

... really feel like doing a playthrough of that again, actually.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Can you form a secret cult to help spread hellenism first before openly adopting? Or is that not available to unreformed pagans?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

super fart shooter posted:

Can you form a secret cult to help spread hellenism first before openly adopting? Or is that not available to unreformed pagans?

Yes, you can. But I rarely do because of all the BS involved with secret cults and the AI deciding to adopt the faith at large at the worst possible time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

AI shouldn't adopt if you are the leader. As well I personally would never ask anyone to convert because I loathe the secret cults. Though I also tend to add reforming the Roman Empire and going Hellenic via that decision instead of secret -> open. The civil war is entirely winnable, letting you replace tons of orthodox lords with new happy Hellenic vassals, and those that convert to side with you don't hide their former faith.

I embarrassingly never thought of mending the schism to cripple the Catholics despite the many, many Hellenic runs I've done however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love the narrative implications of mending the schism in a Hellenic game because it’s like the Emperor going “look, let’s end this feud now because you’re both going to be irrelevant soon”