Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Holy poo poo the BBC news is being outrageously one sided on the Turkish offensive tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Ratjaculation posted:

I've also got no idea what you're talking about with Orange if the New Black, have you got a classic Simpsons equivilant reference?

Orange is the new black is very apt. I can't think of a Simpsons reference but it's basically the story of how a white lady gets involved with drug trafficking during her salad days, and then settles down to become a lawyer and get married. The cops bust the trafficking ring and she has to explain to her nice husband and respectable friends that she's going to prison.
The novel, at least, makes these really jarring changes which show absolutely no awareness of her own privilege. A bit like going from "Marcus sent me another care package with some more pairs of my favourite DKNY underwear" to "Chantelle, who took me under her wing, was a former prostitute from downtown Baltimore and serving a life sentence for killing her pimp" in the same paragraph.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Holy poo poo the BBC news is being outrageously one sided on the Turkish offensive tonight

Does Nick Robinson have business dealings with Erdogan or summat?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Alexei Leonov, first man to do a spacewalk, has died aged 85.

Never forget the myriad ways the USSR outpaced the US on space age innovation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's already gone, what was it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's already gone, what was it?

Rumour that the turks had shot up french specops and the french were retaliating against the turks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Ratjaculation posted:

How did he charge it?

3-pin USB plug and cable, also up butt

Gotta be careful inserting that plug though

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Rarity posted:

I think you are. XR is a middle-class liberal protest movement which much like the FBPE crowd was born from people who have never had to stakeout a political identity before. They've been brought up believing the world works for them because until the world has worked for them. They're still in the middle of processing the state won't always go their way and they don't know how to react to that yet. But they've grown up in a world where asking nicely and being respectful is all you need to do to get what you want so that's what they're going with. However their tactics are highly dangerous for rank and file members, especially those of working class and BAME backgrounds which is something they have zero acknowledgement for. As I said in the podcast there are some positives about what XR have achieved but at the end of the day the fact that you're putting your own people at risk of losing their jobs, their finances and their lives is at best ignorance and at worst active callousness.

I despise the middle class liberal intelligentsia and their insipid creative-writing-as-reality-but-also-futurism? worldview more than most here, and you are absolutely correct that XR has that middle-classness deep in it's core with everything that implies, but you are reaching like crazy from that.

Biggest thing is you say XRs tactics are dangerous to more vulnerable people and the sacrifices those people make aren't acknowledged, that is the opposite of the actual material truth. XR makes a binary distinction between those supporters that want to stay within the law and those that are willing to break the law and be arrested, both groups are taught exactly what the bounds are and both groups are supported and appreciated. I've been through that little talk in one of their tents and you are either lying or uninformed with your point there.

And like, the second referendum movement is obviously middle-class as gently caress just like the no-deal movement is actually middle-class as gently caress, the anti-Iraq war movement was middle-class as gently caress, the suffragettes were middle-class as gently caress, the anti-PFI organising was middle-class as gently caress, loving Marx as he lived was middle-class as gently caress. There is obviously a thing that people who engage with working class people but also have enough material security that they have time to learn about and organise around particular issues do actually do things, you can whinge about that, I certainly do I'm full on dictatorship of the proletariat even if that proletariat is problematic, but gently caress off pretending the meaningful climate movement when/if it finally comes won't almost certainly begin being middle-class as gently caress. And if you don't think XR are doing well then presumably you're organising the better version eh.

Edit: "believing the world works for them because until the world has worked for them" gently caress off with that bollocks, the leadership maybe, but the actual XR lumpen peeps on the street? You're talking bollocks and smearing precariat as posh libs.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 11, 2019

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

forkboy84 posted:

In more exciting news, my PC has been doing a Windows update for 3 hours now and is at 22% complete.

My computer spends a couple of hours failing to update Windows every 5 days. Windows 10 sucks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh dear me posted:

My computer spends a couple of hours failing to update Windows every 5 days. Windows 10 sucks.

Technology is amazing

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Counterpoint: Technology was a mistake.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

My 2010 Macbook still boots up in about 5 seconds. The 2019 Windows laptop I have through work takes that long to even get to any sort of progress screen.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Does Nick Robinson have business dealings with Erdogan or summat?

Whatever the worst you might assume about Nick Robinson is, assume it's true, that axiom has always held. oval office still hasn't released if he has money invested in private healthcare companies, he was asked it directly on air and promised he would disclose it, that was loving years ago but not a peep. Dishonest little student-tory lizardman.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oh dear me posted:

If its been doing that a while it's probly not gonna fix itself

you can run through this if you feel like it!
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

it's a bunch of increasingly involved steps to fix the files or whatever. Probably worth at least going as far as the DISM bit if you need to, after that it's upgrades and reinstalls which eh but that's up to you

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Vitamin P posted:

loving Marx as he lived was middle-class as gently caress.

This is a common gotcha but he really wasn't, he was destitute as gently caress most of his life and relied on handouts from Engels. He lived in a hovel and ended up thrown out by the landlord several times. There's a reason he wrote capital in the British museum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do what I do and just turn them off.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

In regards to Extinction Rebellion not being extreme enough, we'll all be smashing windows in and killing when the three staple crops fail .

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

mehall posted:

Alexei Leonov, first man to do a spacewalk, has died aged 85.

Never forget the myriad ways the USSR outpaced the US on space age innovation.

To start with, but then the USSR stalled mightily and allowed the USA to overtake them midway through the Gemini program. Thoughtit has to be said, Apollo 11 was a such a clusterfuck it should really have been called a rehearsal for Apollo 12, the first proper Moon landing

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

My 2010 Macbook still boots up in about 5 seconds.
*takes a deep breath in android*

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

To start with, but then the USSR stalled mightily and allowed the USA to overtake them midway through the Gemini program. Thoughtit has to be said, Apollo 11 was a such a clusterfuck it should really have been called a rehearsal for Apollo 12, the first proper Moon landing

Did they land on the wrong moon or something?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

In regards to Extinction Rebellion not being extreme enough, we'll all be smashing windows in and killing when the three staple crops fail .

Embassy Regal, Potato Waffles, and Cornettos?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ratjaculation posted:

My 2010 Macbook still boots up in about 5 seconds. The 2019 Windows laptop I have through work takes that long to even get to any sort of progress screen.

That's probably more the build and encryption that work put on it than a feature of windows 10.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

This is a common gotcha but he really wasn't, he was destitute as gently caress most of his life and relied on handouts from Engels. He lived in a hovel and ended up thrown out by the landlord several times. There's a reason he wrote capital in the British museum.
Also pawned his wife's good tableware repeatedly.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Right but 'handouts from Engels' went a long way and yes it's why I said 'lived as' rather than 'was'. You cropped that bit out of a bigger post though and not to attack the UKMT caricature but would appreciate your take on the point rather than Marx as man.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Right but 'handouts from Engels' went a long way and yes it's why I said 'lived as' rather than 'was'. You cropped that bit out of a bigger post though and not to attack the UKMT caricature but would appreciate your take on the point rather than Marx as man.

Oh yeah I didn't particularly disagree with your broader point

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Angrymog posted:

That's probably more the build and encryption that work put on it than a feature of windows 10.

Are you saying I should download even more ram for Windows? Because last time that just made it even slower

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You wouldn't download a ram

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

Number of different company hardware combinations of Macs: 1
Number of different company hardware combinations of Windows: Kerbillions.

Windows has to cater to every different way a hardware component has to be, so its startup can be a bit longer yeah.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^ don't shut it down, always be hibernating

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hell I would

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

But would you ram down a load?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cannon doesn't work if you don't.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

baka kaba posted:

^ don't shut it down, always be hibernating
My old SB audigy card won't work if I hibernate, it needs a fresh reboot. Of course sometimes it doesn't work after a fresh reboot either.

I would just use the onboard sound, but it's crap for composing.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Oh dear me posted:

... that sounds like a very specific bug that was around some years back.

Clean reinstall is the only option if you hit that one.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

ThomasPaine posted:

which side?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Cefte posted:

which side?

It's the BBC

and these are the Kurds:

Search your heart~

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Cefte posted:

which side?

I'm sure you can guess

E: this offensive is very controversial now let's go to Turkey where a baby has been exploded by a rocket and everyone is very mad at those separatist kurds nah we won't mention the same thing happening x100 the other way round.

Obviously it's poo poo when a kid gets killed but there was a very obvious 'Turkey the legitimate state vs. :supaburn: scary separatist rebels :supaburn:' vibe to the report, as if the Kurds were the loving aggressors

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 12, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

endlessmonotony posted:

... that sounds like a very specific bug that was around some years back.

Clean reinstall is the only option if you hit that one.
Pish. You can fix that with some fancy command line typing (there's a guide somewhere on Microsoft's website) and feel like a proper hacker out of a film or something :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1182774180133113856?s=21

lol, Boris has given Farage and his actual, literal Protestant terrorist buddies all the reason they need to rip him a new one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Of course he has, this is why I really don't get why he's trying for this deal nonsense, if he just wants to blame the EU why try for this terrible arrangement. I get that's why he was trying to hide it but it has to come out at some point and when it does the brexit party are going to go in guns blazing against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Part of me thinks the brexit party really doesn’t give a gently caress about NI tbh, but this will still piss them off enough to make a difference I hope