Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Answers Me posted:

What does he not know?

Thought we'd released Routledge for one thing. This was months after he'd signed a new deal, maybe even after the season had started.

But maybe it's an act to make Gabbidon sound insightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sassassin posted:

Thought we'd released Routledge for one thing. This was months after he'd signed a new deal, maybe even after the season had started.

But maybe it's an act to make Gabbidon sound insightful.

Aw I like Gabbidon as a pundit (well, for an ex-player anyway)

While we’re doing a Football Weekly/Wales podcast crossover: Barry Glendenning cannot for the life of him pronounce Iwan Roberts’ name properly, and it drives me insane

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Barry’s pronunciation is miles off on a lot of names, Naimar/Neymar being the most egregious. Listening to him talk about Nabil Fekir will always be hilarious though

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Southern irish accents are incredibly charming. Not sure why.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

Monday’s line up is the best. Wilson, Ronay, Glendinning. Maybe Auclair would be a good addition, but otherwise it’s pretty much spot on. As ever, gently caress Lars.

Only just listened.

The constant pronunciation of "Fraudiloa" had me in stitches.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
auclair says ‘by the way’ after all his points which is enough to annoy me

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

webmeister posted:

Barry’s pronunciation is miles off on a lot of names, Naimar/Neymar being the most egregious. Listening to him talk about Nabil Fekir will always be hilarious though

“Moor-eeen-oh” is the worst

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

RideTheSpiral posted:

auclair says ‘by the way’ after all his points which is enough to annoy me

This crept into Gary Neville's vernacular gradually over time and is really grating now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Anyone else having issues with the Stakhanov pods on Acast today? I was able to download the ramble & luke and pete yesterday, but they weren't there this morning in my feed or the ones for the show. Looks like yesterday's ramble is back, but nothing else. They're all showing in the Apple podcast app, so the shows are there.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Looking at his Twitter Baz is gonna have some hot takes about the Bulgaria match that should be interesting.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Looking at his Twitter Baz is gonna have some hot takes about the Bulgaria match that should be interesting.

Saw that last night. Seemed he was just being contrarian for the sake of it, which he is wont to do. Hopefully they have a good panel on to discuss it.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

Anyone else having issues with the Stakhanov pods on Acast today? I was able to download the ramble & luke and pete yesterday, but they weren't there this morning in my feed or the ones for the show. Looks like yesterday's ramble is back, but nothing else. They're all showing in the Apple podcast app, so the shows are there.

They're all there for me including today's Jules and Andy. Acast on Android.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bundy posted:

They're all there for me including today's Jules and Andy. Acast on Android.

Another podcast went missing that was showing there before lunch, so must be an apple thing.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mickolution posted:

Saw that last night. Seemed he was just being contrarian for the sake of it, which he is wont to do. Hopefully they have a good panel on to discuss it.

I get the impression that he's far more conservative than he lets on. Any time they try to discuss delicate/contentious issues like racism in football, or the progress of women's football, he either barely seems interested or comes up with these contrarian takes

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

I get the impression that he's far more conservative than he lets on. Any time they try to discuss delicate/contentious issues like racism in football, or the progress of women's football, he either barely seems interested or comes up with these contrarian takes

Eh, I think you're cherry picking, I've heard plenty of lefty takes from Barry including a really good chat he made about gambling companies needing to get in the loving bin. I'm sure as a fat white dude that's my age he's got some baggage but blanketing him as "is a bit edgy/silent when anything not pure white and right comes up" is a pretty unfair take.

e: I've just looked at his timeline for whatever made someone expect contrary opinions and jesus christ cmon. He pointed out once that hand wringing over racism from the English press at large is laughable and he's absolutely right.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 16, 2019

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Noticed the football ramble is doing a live show in my city next month. Anybody ever attend one?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

Noticed the football ramble is doing a live show in my city next month. Anybody ever attend one?

I saw them around 4-5 years ago. It was ok, nothing amazing but worth the low ticket price at the time. Sounds like they've put a lot more into the current shows.

The Football Weekly special on the racism at England's game was a good listen, though I thought the England supporters association (or whatever he was) guy seemed a bit insufferable.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

ZeeBoi posted:

I was at one of the London ones last Friday and enjoyed it. If you enjoy their usual stuff you should have a good time.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
xposting from the wrong thread I posted this in:

Listened to yesterday's FW and it's really getting to the point that I will not listen to episodes with Lars anymore. He's so loving awful.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

oliwan posted:

xposting from the wrong thread I posted this in:

Listened to yesterday's FW and it's really getting to the point that I will not listen to episodes with Lars anymore. He's so loving awful.

agreeing with an oliwan post

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Musa Okwonga is very good

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

Musa Okwonga is very good

Nicky Bandini going straight for the anal beads joke with Barry, a few monocles will have popped off guardian readers

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

God, Lars is a dumbass, apparently unable to fathom why Ozil, previously frozen out, is getting minutes as a transfer window approaches.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who the gently caress is this horrible elis james, what the gently caress

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
omg ronay being absolutely horrible on today's pod

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

oliwan posted:

feel like sometimes he's just contrarian for the sake of it and it's so stupid

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
If the football podcast scene wasn't already diluted, The Athletic has released football related podcast that are also available for free.

Here are the ones they have right now. To find the RSS feed, google search the title of the podcast with "simplecast".

General:
The Ornstein & Chapman Podcast
- Mark Chapman and David Ornstein break open the week's biggest stories and take you deep into the inner workings of the football machine.

Zonal Marking
- The Athletic’s Michael Cox & Ali Maxwell break down the tactical & technical details of football past & present, focusing on a single subject each episode with the help of expert guests

Team:
Arsenal - "Handbrake Off"
- The Athletic's Amy Lawrence and James McNicholas are alongside Ian Stone to bring you a weekly podcast on Arsenal Football club. They'll be joined by club legend Lee Dixon to discuss some of the most fascinating stories from Arsenal's past every single week, as well as expert insight from inside The Emirates

Aston Villa - "1874"
- The Athletic's Gregg Evans joins Villa fan and broadcaster Dan Bardell to bring you the definitive word on Aston Villa football club every single week.Subscribe for big name interview from inside the club, plus breaking news and opinionated comment.

Chelsea - "Straight Outta Cobham"
- The Athletic's experts on Chelsea - Simon Johnson, Liam Twomey and Dom Fifield are alongside Matt Davies-Adams to take you behind the scenes at Stamford Bridge and bring you the very best insight on all the latest goings on at Chelsea Football Club

Everton - "Gwlad Tidings"
- The Athletic's Greg O'Keeffe and Paddy Boyland bring you the very best insight into the goings on at Everton every single week, including breaking news and big name guests. Plus they'll be looking back at some of the greatest moments from the club's illustrious past, from title wins to Goodison Park cult-heroes

Liverpool - "The Red Agenda"
- The Athletic's James Pearce and Simon Hughes are alongside Steve Hothersall to bring you the very best insight into Liverpool Football Club every week. Plus, big name guests and breaking news from the red half of Merseyside

Newcastle - "Pod on The Tyne"
- Taylor Payne is joined by The Athletic's George Caulkin and Chris Waugh to discuss the latest goings on at St. James Park, including big name guests and breaking news. Plus, they'll be sharing some of their favourite tales from one of England's most fascinating football clubs.

Norwich - "On the Ball"
- The Athletic's Michael Bailey is joined by a host of guests to bring you all the latest insight from Norwich City every single week. Hear interviews from big names inside the club that you won't get anywhere else

Tottenham - "The View from the Lane"
- The Athletic's Jack Pitt-Brooke and Charlie Eccleshare are joined by a hosts of guests to bring you all the very best coverage from inside Spurs. Tune in every week for big name guests, breaking news and the best insight you'll find on Tottenham Hotspur.

Leeds - "The Phil Hay Show"
- The Athletic's Phil Hay joins Dan Moylan to bring you expert insight into the goings on at Elland Road every single week. Plus, breaking news and big name interviews, including the manager himself.

Edit:

oliwan posted:

Ronay usually isn't as bad as this forum like to put for me, but today he was really bad on the pod

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What did he come up with this week?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xabi posted:

What did he come up with this week?

Didn't understand why the others view mourinho so negatively. When Barney mentioned his treatment of Eva Carneiro as an example, ronay literally goes "yeah that was not nice behaviour, but..."

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
barney ronay seems like a guy who is occasionally on a massive grumpy coke downer

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I’m gonna miss Barry

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Yeah I’m probably going to be off fw until he gets back. The ramble boys are doing an alright job with the main shows I think

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Blasmeister posted:

I’m gonna miss Barry

Where is He? Leave?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That podcast with Ornstein for The Athletic wasn’t half bad. Not the most interesting lads to listen to but I’d be up for more “off the pitch” type content.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

algebra testes posted:

Where is He? Leave?

He's going on holiday to India, I think for like a month?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Krieger posted:

He's going on holiday to India, I think for like a month?

Missed opportunity for a spin off podcast IMO

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sneaks McDevious posted:

Missed opportunity for a spin off podcast IMO

I feel like trying to have a recording setup and other people around would ruin the experience he’s after. But yes, Barry is gold.

I sometimes listen to Max and Barry’s talkSPORT show “The Warmup” just for extra Barry. Also available as a podcast.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1201484427936903168?s=19

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

You’re the sheepdogs, you go and get your sheep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ZeeBoi posted:

You’re the sheepdogs, you go and get your sheep

What club was that supposed to be at again?

Didnt they all have to shout 'sheepdog' too?