Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

So I'm not sure where to even begin, but I figured I'd start here: I'm trying to obtain https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/3248/lapponia-cloudberry-liqueur-lakka for a christmas gift (or maybe not that specific brand but it's gotta have cloudberries), but it won't deliver to the states. I don't know if I just call up liquor stores or what, it's on amazon.uk so I figure it can't be that rare? Any ideas/advice would be appreciated

I have friends in local distribution, I'll reach out to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

slut chan posted:

If you do decide to do your own nog, and you should, everyone and their mother-in-law swears by the Alton Brown Aged Egg Nog recipe.
He also has a quick and easy version. Brown's nog recipes are great; my only criticism is that I advise using way more booze, according to taste.

Klauser posted:

Nog is not my jam but I remember liking the Trader Joe's carton my wife got.
As seen in Brown's recipe, nog is really not that hard to make, and no store bought nog really compares. But if you have to go store-bought, TJ's is the best I've encountered.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Does look pretty easy. Hmm. Might do a test run before the holidays.

I guess, my next question is how to up the quantity. I got a liter mason jar with a spigot that'll probably fill up with the NOG.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 9, 2019

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

He also has a quick and easy version. Brown's nog recipes are great; my only criticism is that I advise using way more booze, according to taste.

As seen in Brown's recipe, nog is really not that hard to make, and no store bought nog really compares. But if you have to go store-bought, TJ's is the best I've encountered.

Seconding this, I've made nog of essentially the same recipe many times in the past. A lot of recipes call for aging it x days in the fridge but it'll still be good without that step.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Does look pretty easy. Hmm. Might do a test run before the holidays.

I guess, my next question is how to up the quantity. I got a liter mason jar with a spigot that'll probably fill up with the NOG.

Alton's aged recipe will give u over 2 liters https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

Alton's aged recipe will give u over 2 liters https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

:eyepop: holy poo poo

Well nvm here's my recipe for the holiday days. Lol 3 full cups of booze heck ya

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah AB's nog recipe is the fuckin poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 10, 2019

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
How are you guys able to devote that much fridge space to something you won't be consuming for several months?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

prayer group posted:

How are you guys able to devote that much fridge space to something you won't be consuming for several months?

I've got it in a nice 4 quart cab in the fridge that sits in a corner, along with a small bottle for saving a quart to seed the next year.

e; My batch yields ~3 quarts, + a quart from the previous batch, drink 3, save 1. Lives in a 4 quart cab for ~3 months, then the last quart goes back to its bottle for ~9.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 10, 2019

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I've got a batch of Kenji Lopez's recipe aging for Christmas myself. Main difference seems to be including whipped egg whites, which seems a bit odd when combined with aging, but we'll see how it turns out!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

prayer group posted:

Well I got a big rear end jar. So there's that.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Ralith posted:

Main difference seems to be including whipped egg whites, which seems a bit odd when combined with aging, but we'll see how it turns out!

I'm definitely trying that out this year. The standard recipe yields great tasting stuff, but it is thin compared to the store-bought "almost a milkshake" stuff that most people are familiar with, and sometimes I really do want that thick texture.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone gets a chance, try out some Rompope. It's Mexican nog. Super thick, super yummy. Very yellow. More yellow then a typical nog.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Friday cocktail chat, anyone doing anything fun tonight? I'm definitely excited for a cocktail after this week, but not sure what yet so would like inspiration 🙂

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cocchi di Torino on the rocks.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I made a sloe gin sour (not fizz) topped with my lemongrass bitters I made. Came out great.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
A hearty pour of oloroso sherry, since I left work at almost 1am and have to be back at 10am to work a double.

My fiance and I have been R&D'ing recipes for a popup we're working on and I've landed on a really good Sherry Cobbler if anyone's down.

1.5oz amontillado sherry (we've been using Hartley and Gibson since it's cheap as hell and surprisingly good)
1.5oz manzanilla sherry (same as above)
1oz lemon
2tsp blueberry preserves (Bonne Maman)

Shake and dump into a rocks glass, ideally a plastic stadium cup if you want to really capture the spirit of what we're doing with this popup.

I'm a big sherry guy. You guys should drink more sherry.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Love the use of preserves! I'm surprised I haven't seen more preserves and jellies in play in drinksmaking, since there's no reason they wouldn't work great, especially for highly seasonal things like Seville oranges. I've been wanting to try out a version of the orange punch I make with some proper Seville orange marmalade to see if I could make an "almost the same thing" version during the off season. It's the same thing with all the various berries that are really only good during part of the summer.

Definitely gonna give that cobbler a try once I can swing by Total Wine and pick up some sherry.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Carillon posted:

Friday cocktail chat, anyone doing anything fun tonight? I'm definitely excited for a cocktail after this week, but not sure what yet so would like inspiration 🙂

This week I made a simple with citric acid, a simple with citric and black pepper, and a simple with leftover liquid making brandied cherries. Reduced it and burnt off the brandy, came out really interesting.

So yeah tonight I'm just drinking old fashioneds as a taste test between simples.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Preserves are so good in cocktails. I dunno about in punches, I feel like the solids would all fall to the bottom of the bowl. If you really wanted to get weird you could emulsify/stabilize the punch in some way, I guess. Xanthan gum?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You could also just strain the solids after you've gotten what you want out of them. But even that might not matter. Nutmeg always settles to the bottom also, might just be fine.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just picked up the Smuggler's Cove book and oh god now I just want to buy 10 kinds of rum and as many liqueurs.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’ve seen a lot of preserve use. Most professional bartenders that use them will strain out the solids and bottle the remaining liquid for use, as the solids can seriously interfere with a pleasant drink (which I did experience with a careless use of jam).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

chitoryu12 posted:

a careless use of jam

Thread title imo

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Finally get a new thread title after 8 years, this is a big day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
gently caress me I could drink Planter's Punch all day long, this may just be my go-to "come home and make a drink" drink.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The proposed new title was too good to not do anything about. FYI, you are encouraged to use the report function to request thread title changes. It's what I did.

And what's your Planter's Punch spec? People are generally all over the place on what that drink even is. Mine is light rum, dark rum, lemon, lime, grenadine, top with soda.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've always found that lime throws off the rest of the drink. Mine is dark rum, orange, pineapple, lemon, grenadine, bitters, in varying proportions depending on how drunk I already am.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Honestly, I've tweaked it to the point where it might not even be Planter's Punch, but I started with the Smuggler's Cove recipe and it evolved into:

- 1 part lime
- .5 part falernum
- .5 part Demerara syrup
- dash grenadine
- 1 part rum (I was using Plantation 5yr)
- dash bitters (Angostura is what I had)
Shake, open pour, garnish with allspice, nutmeg, and a stick of cinnamon

The cinnamon and falernum is really nice together.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
That is indeed pretty far away from a Planter's Punch. Only an ounce of rum?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

prayer group posted:

That is indeed pretty far away from a Planter's Punch. Only an ounce of rum?

In a 3 oz drink, sure, but I normally double it up.

My more normal Planter's recipe is:

1oz lime
1oz Dem syrup
1oz Falernum
Dash grenadine
3oz Rum
2oz pineapple
2oz orange juice

Which is obviously closer to original "rhyme" recipe. So don't worry, I understand how far I've strayed :)

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

COOL CORN posted:

I just picked up the Smuggler's Cove book and oh god now I just want to buy 10 kinds of rum and as many liqueurs.

I got that book last month after promising myself long ago I'd never go Tiki. Now I've got six bottles of rum, falernum, allspice dram and three different simple syrup infusions ready to go with more on the way. My wallet is very angry. At least I haven't started buying new glassware, mugs and fancy garnishes (yet).

yaleforks
Dec 2, 2007

Telamon posted:

I got that book last month after promising myself long ago I'd never go Tiki. Now I've got six bottles of rum, falernum, allspice dram and three different simple syrup infusions ready to go with more on the way. My wallet is very angry. At least I haven't started buying new glassware, mugs and fancy garnishes (yet).

I know that feels. This happened over 2 months, this is just the rum.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiki is good. lovely bars cheaping out on ingredients ruined its reputation, but classic Donn Beach and Trader Vic recipes are shockingly complex and dangerously boozy. It’s the closest the old generation came to alchemy in their mixing.

And never cheap out on the rum!

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

yaleforks posted:

I know that feels. This happened over 2 months, this is just the rum.

So on the scale of Mimosa to The Zombie you're saying I'm hosed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Looking for feedback on a couple cocktails I messed around with:

White Rhino
2 oz rye
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
1/2 oz Italicus
Up with lemon twist

Maniac
2 oz rye
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
1/2 oz Fernet
Big cube with orange peel

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 19, 2019

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
White Rhino I might go closer to Boulevardier/Old Pal spec, 1.5:.75:.75, and maybe even swap the sweet vermouth for dry.

Maniac sounds boozy as hell and Fernet is always so overpowering to me. Chartreuse is also a heavy hitter, and sometimes ($ permitting) it’s nice to lean into that. So I would go more 1.5 rye, .75 green chartreuse, .25 fernet. Otherwise maybe flip it and keep your ratios but add .5 lemon juice

I’m sure they’re both tasty as made, but that’s not what you’re asking. Also I’m not at work so I’m just armchair posting.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Any cocktails you folks like to use that keep well in a flask? I've been taking walks through our downtown and like to have a drink in hand one way and then the other. I've done a few simple things like vodka and tea but didn't know if there were any better ideas.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Gotta be something that is okay as it slowly comes to room temperature, which is tough. Unless you have a pleather-jacketed flask, but I don't know how those hold temps.

Either way, when I take my alcoholism to the movies, I go with B&B. Strong so the low volume doesn't matter much, still great as it warms up. And I bring a straw so it's not so obvious :v:

Old fashioned and its cousins would probably do just fine as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I worry that I'm a broken record here, but have you considered sherry? An oloroso will be around 17%, and drinks nicely cold, cool, room-temp or warm.