Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

People ask me all the time what streaming box I use because of the screensavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The underwater screen saver option isn't there for me, what the gently caress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vince MechMahon posted:

The underwater screen saver option isn't there for me, what the gently caress.
Same. I think we're being gaslit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://youtu.be/4CXIqY-OKS4

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’s not a separate option. It’s part of the Aerial screensavers. It took a few days and changing my update frequency to daily to get them to show up.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

American McGay posted:

Same. I think we're being gaslit.

Same, I clicked through all of them and couldn’t find it

E: I guess I checked the day the update came out so I should probably recheck

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Interesting. I'll have to refresh that macOS screensaver API and see if it picks them up. I use some of them for b-roll footage.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I could watch the kelp forest in loop for a looooong time. Sober even.

Thanks again to the good who posted the MacOS version of the Aerial savers. Our IT department will probably hunt me down if they found out I’m the one causing sudden storage issues on many employees laptops who have the 128 or 256 drives. The caching is pretty huge for the big videos, but oh so worth it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

It’s not a separate option. It’s part of the Aerial screensavers. It took a few days and changing my update frequency to daily to get them to show up.

Is there a way to choose which screensaver you're using?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

Is there a way to choose which screensaver you're using?

Swipe

You can’t choose but you can skip

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The space one with the lightning probably isn’t new but it is awesome.

Is there any point to the Apple Arcade app? Is it just a second App Store?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

smackfu posted:

Is there any point to the Apple Arcade app? Is it just a second App Store?

Apple taking $5/month from suckers.

It is the future. iCloud storage. iTunes. Apple News. Apple Arcade. Apple TV+.

$33 bucks a month from a hundred million people drives up the share price.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Arcade games are good though :confused:

So is Apple music (for me at least).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MarcusSA posted:

The Arcade games are good though :confused:

So is Apple music (for me at least).

:yeah:

:yeah:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also Apple TV+ is going to be free for a huge number of people for the first year.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Apple Arcade seemed cool but then it ate my save files and I cancelled the trial in disgust.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Apple taking $5/month from suckers.

It is the future. iCloud storage. iTunes. Apple News. Apple Arcade. Apple TV+.

$33 bucks a month from a hundred million people drives up the share price.

It is true, it’s just hard because it’s really well executed on Apple’s part:

iCloud storage: people hate losing their info, so $1-3 a month is worth it

Apple Music: $10-15 steaming is replacing purchasing music for most people. I buy some vinyl, but honestly Apple Music is still worth it because I can’t exactly play vinyl in my car (yes they usually come with a digital copy, but it’s super convenient).

Apple Arcade: surprising to me that people like it, but if it’s executed well it’s especially cheap for families. I can see this being super popular for parents

Apple News: this one boggles me a bit as well, but people are overwhelmed with news options, so a service like it will become more and more popular.

Apple TV: definitely the most sparse, but as they said, free for a year.

I’ve been paying for Apple Music and iCloud storage for years , for sure those two are a good value.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Apple Music: $10-15 steaming is replacing purchasing music for most people. I buy some vinyl, but honestly Apple Music is still worth it because I can’t exactly play vinyl in my car (yes they usually come with a digital copy, but it’s super convenient).

Apple Arcade: surprising to me that people like it, but if it’s executed well it’s especially cheap for families. I can see this being super popular for parents

Apple News: this one boggles me a bit as well, but people are overwhelmed with news options, so a service like it will become more and more popular.

I’ve been paying for Apple Music and iCloud storage for years , for sure those two are a good value.

The flip side is that they made it better. iCloud storage used to not be family account and now it is. So we went from having 2 accounts to just one of them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly my take is that I really loving hate subscriptions. It’s one of my least favorite trends of the modern age. I like things it’s attached to but the system as a whole, ugh. Apple at least doesn’t entirely gently caress me over though. Their stuff is usually high value with a consistent level of quality throughout. If I’m going to engage in modern entertainment/technology I may as well go with the company who has given me quality for my money for 10+ years.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m fine paying for their services for the most part, but I will always be irked that they don’t give you a free 5GB of iCloud storage per device you own, rather than 5 per account. That just seems aggressively petty.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, I wasn’t knocking it. Just the truth of why Apple, and every other software company, are moving to a subscription model.

Apple Music and iCloud are great. Apple News had tuned the things they lock behind the sub such that I basically had to, and it’s great. I have three Apple TV’s.

At least they don’t charge an Apple Music sub per HomePod, that would get expensive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I appreciate that all of the new services are family plan by default at least.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

smackfu posted:

I appreciate that all of the new services are family plan by default at least.

:hmmyes:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m fine paying for their services for the most part, but I will always be irked that they don’t give you a free 5GB of iCloud storage per device you own, rather than 5 per account. That just seems aggressively petty.

The $3 per account isn't where Apple is making its billions.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is there some obvious thing I’m missing about YouTube connect? The only way to get mine to show up in the YouTube app on phone is by force closing and reopening the app on the TV. Even closing/opening YouTube on my phone doesn’t really fix it. I can always airplay, but I just want to cast videos and make playlists.

My roommate has a chromecast or fire stick I think and it always shows up regardless

Ultimate Mango posted:

Swipe

You can’t choose but you can skip

Good tip, thanks! Would be nice if we had more control over it all but hey. I noticed you can change while the screensaver is on, and while previewing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I just turned on the Astros Yankees game through the fox sports app and the game has a 4K UHD logo. So apparently Fox Sports is streaming live sports in 4K now?

Is that a first?

I should also say I have no idea how to tell if it’s truly a 4K signal I’m seeing but it looks REALLY good so probably.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mahoning posted:

So I just turned on the Astros Yankees game through the fox sports app and the game has a 4K UHD logo. So apparently Fox Sports is streaming live sports in 4K now?

Is that a first?

I should also say I have no idea how to tell if it’s truly a 4K signal I’m seeing but it looks REALLY good so probably.

Yeah, Fox Sports has been doing 4K for a while now, I think. I seem to recall someone mentioning it a few months ago in one of the sports threads.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
That’s weird because I’ve watched a ton of college football, college basketball, and MLB baseball over the past year on the app and I’ve never once seen that 4K logo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's probably pretty rare. Playoff baseball seems like a high enough marquee event to have it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thursday Night Football goes out in 4K HDR too except 1. It’s an upscale because they use the 4K cameras to crop and zoom and 2. HDR only works on satellite right now.

But!

Omg it looks so much better than my cable feed that neither of those points matter.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

EL BROMANCE posted:

Thursday Night Football goes out in 4K HDR too except 1. It’s an upscale because they use the 4K cameras to crop and zoom and 2. HDR only works on satellite right now.

But!

Omg it looks so much better than my cable feed that neither of those points matter.

It's like how I remember HD broadcasts looked OTA during the early days before stations began compressing it to hell and starving it of bandwidth.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Itunes is now available on most Roku’s apparently

astral
Apr 26, 2004

article posted:

the app also provides access to your iTunes video library.

I'm sure that just made a lot of people happy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

astral posted:

I'm sure that just made a lot of people happy.

Wankers

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NitoTV figured out that there is a pin layout for lightning connection on the Apple TV 4k PCB

Someone else found the external connector hiding behind a flap in the Ethernet jack

https://twitter.com/littlesteve/status/1184961398146650112

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This was sort of asked once before but apparently not answered, and I can't seem to find a straight answer by googling. What determines whether the AppleTV (4K in my case) is allowed to fall asleep during AirPlay? It's not much good to me to AirPlay podcasts to it if I have to fiddle with the remote every 10 minutes or whatever

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

emdash posted:

This was sort of asked once before but apparently not answered, and I can't seem to find a straight answer by googling. What determines whether the AppleTV (4K in my case) is allowed to fall asleep during AirPlay? It's not much good to me to AirPlay podcasts to it if I have to fiddle with the remote every 10 minutes or whatever

I AirPlay podcasts all the time (via Overcast on my iPhone) and never had this happen. I don't think I set anything special for that. When I get a chance I'll check.

E: nope. there's no setting under AirPlay that would affect this. I also have the aTV 4K set to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 18, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

emdash posted:

In the screensaver menu, there's an option for "Show during Music and Podcasts" with Yes or No as the option. If you change it to No does that prevent it from falling asleep?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Mahoning posted:

In the screensaver menu, there's an option for "Show during Music and Podcasts" with Yes or No as the option. If you change it to No does that prevent it from falling asleep?

Good idea. I'll try it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

emdash posted:

This just started happening to me in the last couple of weeks, I think it’s a bug.