Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
If i die because of a trump induced terror attack please say a trump for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kurtofan posted:

If i die because of a trump induced terror attack please say a trump for me

no

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
lol the us government just can't be trusted to be consistent in anything, with allies or with enemies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Erdogan, welcome to the #resistance

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gh0stpinballa posted:

whats on the tweet that got taken down upthread

Yeah it's gone and it sounded good. Too good, apparently

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

trump reviving ISIS is a pretty inevitable plot twist in retrospect

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
lmao the surprise return of isis

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

psychofishhead posted:

it’s so cool that this guy can be on his best days indifferent to the troops and on his worst explicitly calling them pussies and the people who holler the most about respecting troops and flags love him more and more every day.

I’m not being sarcastic btw I think that’s some legit skill coming from a New York rich boy, the arch nemesis of Dale Flyover State. I wish I had that hustle

the people who holler the most about respecting troops lately are the libs

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/carlbeijer/status/1182831390380953606?s=21

do it you cowards

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
fun fact: there's no way to kick someone out of nato

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

fun fact: there's no way to kick someone out of nato

There is, it just requires some balls and NATO lost theirs gradually ever since the Cold War died down.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nato should be disbanded.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurtofan posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Erdogan, welcome to the #resistance

Erdogan discovers one weird trick to reduce the number of MAGA hat wearing vets wandering around the US.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

they've started assassinating civic and political leaders in NE syria, obviously to disrupt civilian organizing. who could have given them a list of names i wonder.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gh0stpinballa posted:

they've started assassinating civic and political leaders in NE syria, obviously to disrupt civilian organizing. who could have given them a list of names i wonder.

Thats the ISIS playbook :thunk:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I actually kind of wonder if NATO is somehow disbanded if the EU will throw together a regional military

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grapplejack posted:

I actually kind of wonder if NATO is somehow disbanded if the EU will throw together a regional military

the eu couldn’t even make money work what the gently caress makes you think they’re gonna manage a collective army

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

the eu couldn’t even make money work what the gently caress makes you think they’re gonna manage a collective army

necessity is the mother of invention

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

An EU army would have to work sort of like Allied command did during World War 2, but without the impulsive necessity of a war you're just adding an extra layer of politics on top of everything where everyone fights over who gets to be Obergruppenführer.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Spergin Morlock posted:

necessity is the mother of invention

Remember that at every level of botched reform they'd say they'd fix it once it became necessary. Now look at the euro.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

genericnick posted:

Remember that at every level of botched reform they'd say they'd fix it once it became necessary. Now look at the euro.

True

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

France can't go more than two years without loving something up abroad and if NATO isn't there to bail them out by God they'll make their own NATO

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

An EU army would have to work sort of like Allied command did during World War 2, but without the impulsive necessity of a war you're just adding an extra layer of politics on top of everything where everyone fights over who gets to be Obergruppenführer.

Nah it'll just be run by some goldman sachs execs and be a debt collecting force

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

France can't go more than two years without loving something up abroad and if NATO isn't there to bail them out by God they'll make their own NATO

I keep forgetting France rejoined NATO in 2009. lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

It would also be a ineffective army since it would be focused on invading the nearest brothel instead of doing any actual fighting.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/_Caki__/status/1182970157335040000?s=20

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

psychofishhead posted:

it’s so cool that this guy can be on his best days indifferent to the troops and on his worst explicitly calling them pussies and the people who holler the most about respecting troops and flags love him more and more every day.

I’m not being sarcastic btw I think that’s some legit skill coming from a New York rich boy, the arch nemesis of Dale Flyover State. I wish I had that hustle

the people who holler about respecting troops and flags never actually cared about the troops and flags. never. not since day loving one

what they actually loved was war and imperialism, plundering other countries for American profit. but their opposition could point to the human stories of all those dead foreign children we were killing, whereas the protagonists of the imperialist perspective were corrupt billionaires with political ties, who are a much less sympathetic group

so they started adopting injured soldiers into their narrative so that they could claim that any opposition to war was disrespectful to the dead and crippled troops fighting overseas for American business

trump is just smart enough to know it's a bullshit front, but not smart enough to know why they're putting up the bullshit front

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1182770015587553280?s=20

i hope the Saudi's pay using a giant novelty check

Trump thinks the US empire should be run as an explicit tributary system. I'm here for it as that's got to be a doomed endeavor right?

so is the US military split over this?

seems chill, I'm sure this'll work out fine. The CIA is already fighting the President and everything is still fine.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1183043973323067394

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/barbarastarrcnn/status/1183044366585225216?s=20
same convo as the above tweet

Basically US officials are leaking to the press that dropping support for the Kurds is a surrender to Russia

Which, even if successful to stop the current assault, long term still seems bad for the Kurds since a deal with the regime is their only hope unless they commit to being a US airstrip

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Atrocious Joe posted:

Trump thinks the US empire should be run as an explicit tributary system. I'm here for it as that's got to be a doomed endeavor right?

so is the US military split over this?

seems chill, I'm sure this'll work out fine. The CIA is already fighting the President and everything is still fine.

War has changed

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seems a little late to be coming to this conclusion.

Atrocious Joe posted:

It could only ever work for countries that are rich but also can't defend themselves. Like, Saudi Arabia. If he pressed it elsewhere you'd have NATO dissolving itself, and the US being kicked out of Okinawa.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Oct 12, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/Servetaksoy20/status/1181385965396475906?s=20

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Seems a little late to be coming to this conclusion.

I'm guessing they're still holding out hope that US commanders decide to just go along with them, cuz of how often Trump eventually changed his mind after a few weeks. But yea, I don't think there is a point to delay too long on this when you have jihadi assholes executing your people on the highways and releasing ISIS bastards from the prisons as well.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CrazyLoon posted:

I'm guessing they're still holding out hope that US commanders decide to just go along with them, cuz of how often Trump eventually changed his mind after a few weeks. But yea, I don't think there is a point to delay too long on this when you have jihadi assholes executing your people on the highways and releasing ISIS bastards from the prisons as well.

Yeah you can''t just take back a whole offensive all along the border. Everything else Turkey has done up to this point in Rojava was peanuts.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

as with most things, Trump is just saying the quiet part loud. whenever the US goes to war on behalf of another country, we make sure to get paid in some way. although it's often in terms of vague investments that turn out not to pan out in the long run

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Wonder if enough US special forces guys fought in Syria and get disgruntled over this that some of the national security blob might be getting the idea of doing an Operation Resurrection with the them if impeachment fails.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's no way the Natsec blob hasn't been stockpiling astroglide for this. None of those ghouls have ever given a drat what soldiers think, operators or otherwise. Would you care for the opinion of your socket wrench?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wonder if enough US special forces guys fought in Syria and get disgruntled over this that some of the national security blob might be getting the idea of doing an Operation Resurrection with the them if impeachment fails.

They are most likely MAGA hat wearing Trump supporters