Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Star Citizen: Sisyphean Development

Edit: taxxe

Bofast fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

LIRIK (twitch broadcaster) just looked at the new SC trailer. He immediately said "no thanks I'll wait until release" "2027 lol" The SC hopefuls were crying tears of betrayal. It was beautiful.

Got a link to the twitch clip where he says that or whatever? I wanna read all the wailing and gnashing in chat from the SC hopefuls.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

monkeytek posted:

After 7 years it is time for them to realize the Awesome part has long since passed.

I think they need to do a petition like the Elite community. Sure guarantee CIG will fix all.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pharohman777 posted:

Got a link to the twitch clip where he says that or whatever? I wanna read all the wailing and gnashing in chat from the SC hopefuls.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/493607843?t=00h10m51s

If it doesn't jump ahead it starts at ~10:50

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 12, 2019

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sankis posted:

I just can't get over the people who think this is normal (or better!) game development. I'm not in the industry, but I've been following games and games media to know this isn't how games are typically made. They're trying to color in a coloring book where all the lines are constantly shifting, like they're trying to constantly make a vertical slice for demo but are afflicted with a sispyhean curse.

That plus 90% of their development is stuff to sell.

Yeah trying to color in a coloring book whose pages constantly gets ripped out by Croberts who replace them with poorly scanned pictures of various sci fi movies and games

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

you know what, i kinda get it now. we're looking at this from the wrong angle.

you can buy ships from ingame now. let's take a look at this one - it has aquariums, beds and a bar!

how much does it cost?

5 million space dollars.
okay, how much do you make from an average/higher paying mission?

to get that much money, you need to do 808 missions at 7000 credits per mission. 808 missions at 40 minutes each (best case scenario, not accounting for bugs, crashes etc) that's 32,000 minutes or 533 hours.

the ship costs $310. 533 hours of work is way more than $310, even at brazilian minimum wage. $310 is an absolute bargain.

chris roberts is a philantropist.

WTF is a suggested pledge?

Does that mean i can tell CIG what they can do with their suggested pledge and make my own suggested pledge of $1?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just took a look at the tracker, ah, ship sale time...

18k an hour or something.

Pledge more citizens!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lol development is just going to get slower as we get through the holidays and then grind to a halt from a few weeks before the new year and then for like he entire january

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

monkeytek posted:

ownage

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The roadmaps for 3.8, 3.9, and Sq42 Q4, are going to be torn to shreds these next few months ::munch:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Agony Aunt posted:

WTF is a suggested pledge?

Does that mean i can tell CIG what they can do with their suggested pledge and make my own suggested pledge of $1?

It's CIG's careful wording to avoid suggesting they "sell" ships. They've gotten heat from regulators in the past and, of course, their one court win was reliant on the idea that backers pledged for the game's development rather than bought spaceships for future use.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sankis posted:

I just can't get over the people who think this is normal (or better!) game development. I'm not in the industry, but I've been following games and games media to know this isn't how games are typically made. They're trying to color in a coloring book where all the lines are constantly shifting, like they're trying to constantly make a vertical slice for demo but are afflicted with a sispyhean curse.

That plus 90% of their development is stuff to sell.

But the things they've accomplished haven't been done by any other game*!!!!

*nothing CIG has tried to do has actually worked

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Just saw the new alpha trailer, game is looking REALLY good!

Time to buy in!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

I didn't know there was a music video for the legend of Barky Barktona

paging: CodeZombie

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

If this is true I have a loving huge call from back before like... last Citizencon(???) to go find lol

I do believe I called it first good sir.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Inacio posted:

you know what, i kinda get it now. we're looking at this from the wrong angle.
...]

the ship costs $310. 533 hours of work is way more than $310, even at brazilian minimum wage. $310 is an absolute bargain.

chris roberts is a philantropist.

Now you're catching on!!!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

monkeytek posted:

"I mined in first person, I mined in third person, I mined solo, I mined in multiplayer, all that's left for me is to mine in real life!"

:five:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

"I mined in first person, I mined in third person, I mined solo, I mined in multiplayer, all that's left for me is to mine in real life!"

:five:

Then some wit suggested he pay $5000 to mine in real life.

Quality.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
What the Xi'An doors are currently concepted to look like

And it's real. Of course it's real.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Inacio posted:

MSFS 2020
it's going to be loving lit

Star Citizen: oof

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

A ten second animation for one button to pop up. Yep this is a good game.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

It's the helmet flip all over again. If it's worthless and faux-cool, Chris Roberts is all over it. If it has anything to do with making a space game, not so much. Not really his field.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I know whenever I open my front door I want to wait 10 seconds for its transformation into a portal back to my incredibly cool and totally real futuristic abode that leaves all the haters jealous. Every single time, even if I'm opening the door to get my Space Amazon™ delivery.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
By the time the door opens, Space Amazon has already hosed off and left a card telling you which planet your package is being stored at.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

kw0134 posted:

I know whenever I open my front door I want to wait 10 seconds for its transformation into a portal back to my incredibly cool and totally real futuristic abode that leaves all the haters jealous. Every single time, even if I'm opening the door to get my Space Amazon™ delivery.

I want to wake up in my wank pod fully clothed with nothing on me to remind me what happened to get me to said wank pod*

*this has happened to me in the past.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Anyway... cave missions working as intended.

https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/dh16ut/has_anyone_successfully_completed_a_cave_search/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Does it give out an orgasmic sigh of release in the knowledge of a job well done when opening, only to close with a smug sound of slight contempt?

Gimme a bit of wood with hinges any day.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Based on the fluidity (stability and amount of FPS), it's prerendered. No way CI did something that stable and effectively looking.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Looking forward to all the new door glitches.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Fidelity

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I can't wait until they spend backer dollars installing one of these in their office!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Of course they have one at the office, how else would they motion-capture it to put in the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That door is going to cause server crashes non-stop

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, but once they implement SDCLO (Spacecraft Door Component Level Optimization, another thing NO ONE HAS DONE BEFORE that will take 2 years), Star Citizen will be even more advanced than any other game. At least two decades ahead of its time.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Get Smart Title Sequence.GIF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard