Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Agreed 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been chatting about this film a lot with people, and it's really weird how they criticise the film for being heavy-handed while also completely understanding its message. It seems like some really weird intellectual snobbery to consider it a failing of a film that it communicates its message clearly. If Joker has something to say about austerity and class war it's a huge plus point in its favor that you're not likely to miss that.

Maybe I just really hate the perspective that every film is a puzzlebox to be solved to reveal what it's 'really' about.

I agree with this as far as critique goes. However, it's reminded me that for as heavy handed it is about the class war stuff, it is not at all heavy handed about its stance on violence. At best, it's left to your own interpretation about the righteousness of the violence that Joker and the rioters inflict on their victims.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

JOHN SKELETON posted:

The two comedian guys coming over to talk to Arthur in his apartment is a good scene until Arthur is laying on the floor and the little person is trying to get away, and suddenly there's like a comedic beat and the tone makes no sense anymore. What am I supposed to be feeling here?

I dont know if it was purposely meant as comedic. It felt tense to me because of how erratic Arthur is. The little person is trying to escape as fast as he can before Arthur changes his mine. When Arthur stops the man it almost seems like he may change his mind and kill the witness.

I really liked the movie overall. I like the fact that Arthur gets his gun from a friend and Arthur says he isn't allowed to have guns (implying he can't purchase one because of his mental illness).

I do have a dumb question about the end did he kill the psychiatrist?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I do have a dumb question about the end did he kill the psychiatrist?

He was leaving bloody footprints behind him so I think it's safe to say he did.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Ashmole posted:

(implying he can't purchase one because of his mental illness).

lol this is barely true today, much less 1981. I think it’s just illegal for all of Gotham since his buddy was also pretty concerned about the police finding out he was involved with this gun.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

beanieson posted:

lol this is barely true today, much less 1981. I think it’s just illegal for all of Gotham since his buddy was also pretty concerned about the police finding out he was involved with this gun.

I mean, Arthur says "you know I can't have one of these" or something to that effect.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ashmole posted:

I dont know if it was purposely meant as comedic. It felt tense to me because of how erratic Arthur is. The little person is trying to escape as fast as he can before Arthur changes his mine. When Arthur stops the man it almost seems like he may change his mind and kill the witness.

I think that scene is supposed to be the scene you get he is "the joker", like that scene is weird and out of character for arthur but plays out exactly like it would in some other movie with the joker.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Ashmole posted:

I mean, Arthur says "you know I can't have one of these" or something to that effect.

Pretty sure it was more “you know that’s not allowed” and not something specific to Arthur, but whatever.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hey i haven’t seen this yet, so I need to ask here. My kid (12) wants to see this with his friends. The IMDb page doesn’t really give me a good idea of how bad it is.
For reference the most “questionable dad movie” he’s seen was blade which he liked.

So what say you, cd? Yay or nay?

I'd say yeah. It's more complex than Blade and I saw Robocop when I was 10-ish which is way more visually upsetting than anything in Joker. I think he might just be bored. I don't know how well Joker would work for a 12 year old. I'm not a parent so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I think let kids see what they want to see. If they're old enough to get it they'll get it, and if they aren't they won't get it. But yeah, I think an average 12 year old would be bored by Joker. But if they're smart they might learn some life lessons about not picking on outcasts and that the 1% suck. I would certainly talk to him about it afterward, tho.

Desperado Bones posted:

I don't recall exactly when it happens. I think is when his mother ends in the hospital. He is having a low moment, removes all the food from the fridge and climbs in, right then he gets the call from the show

I really want to watch it again, I kinda feel I missed a few things you guys have mentioned.

I didn't even make the connection to the comic book fridge thing and I doubt it was even intentional because I don't think Todd Phillips is that good, but wow if that was intentional it's loving brilliant.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 12, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s probably worth thinking about that all the offscreen implied violence is against women and all the onscreen explicit violence is against men.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s probably worth thinking about that all the offscreen implied violence is against women and all the onscreen explicit violence is against men.

Meaning?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's kind of sad that some people didn't guess that Joker's girlfriend was fake delusion being that is how movies often treat the chemistry of the male protagonist's love interest.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Not 100% sure, I was bringing it up as a factor for discussion. But if this movie is based off of Taxi Driver, that movie was defined by its Madonna complex and Travis’s weird attitudes towards women.

Also I just remembered him killing his mom is onscreen so maybe I’m just an idiot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I mean the camera is aimed at his face while he does it but I don't think that counts.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

iamsosmrt posted:

I agree with this as far as critique goes. However, it's reminded me that for as heavy handed it is about the class war stuff, it is not at all heavy handed about its stance on violence. At best, it's left to your own interpretation about the righteousness of the violence that Joker and the rioters inflict on their victims.

Even if you think both are justified, the movie explicitly tells you that they’re doing it for different reasons. I think it’s that conflict that actually keeps the movie interesting outside of Joker origin things.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's kind of sad that some people didn't guess that Joker's girlfriend was fake delusion being that is how movies often treat the chemistry of the male protagonist's love interest.

It’s kinda laughable that it’s supposed to be a twist the way she says his name without ever hearing it made me think she was either spying on him or it was all a delusion. The delusion is backed up by how much her daughter disappears whenever they were together.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ruddiger posted:

without ever hearing it
Why assume they've never met before the movie?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gary oldmans diary posted:

Why assume they've never met before the movie?

I forgot the elevator scene that established them as friends who have conversations and pass compliments to each other.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

well why not posted:

Jurassic Park surely pumped the palaeontology departments applications a few years after its release.

No loving question.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ruddiger posted:

I forgot the elevator scene that established them as friends who have conversations and pass compliments to each other.
That's not nearly the same as not being acquainted. Particularly for 2 people who live near each other with relative anchors that would suggest they've lived near each other for a long time.
But I guess you did forget the scene a few minutes prior to that when a parent acted harshly to Arthur for interacting with her child instead of being quiet.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's not nearly the same as not being acquainted. Particularly for 2 people who live near each other with relative anchors that would suggest they've lived near each other for a long time.
But I guess you did forget the scene a few minutes prior to that when a parent acted harshly to Arthur for interacting with her child instead of being quiet.

Why would the previous scene have anything to do with the elevator scene if they were already acquainted? It’s to show he’s stunted when it comes to interacting with strangers. He breaks into hysterics when confronted on the bus. He’s speechless when Zazie acknowledges his presence on the elevator. His only “joke” with her up to that point was pretending to blow his brains out. I don’t know how you can go from that to “you’re so funny ARTHUR!” And not think something’s up.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

ruddiger posted:

Why would the previous scene have anything to do with the elevator scene if they were already acquainted? It’s to show he’s stunted when it comes to interacting with strangers. He breaks into hysterics when confronted on the bus. He’s speechless when Zazie acknowledges his presence on the elevator. His only “joke” with her up to that point was pretending to blow his brains out. I don’t know how you can go from that to “you’re so funny ARTHUR!” And not think something’s up.

honestly my first thought was “this is poorly written” lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso >Joker (And Joaquin Penis was good?)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm shitposting while I'm catching up with the thread because I finally saw this movie, and I just saw these:

CelticPredator posted:

It’s from Tommy Wiseau.

"You're tearing me apart, Penny! -TW"

loving lmao

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I really didn't like De Niro as the talk show host. He really grated on me. Other than that I thought it was good. The political message seemed a little mixed but considering the protagonist it tracks thematically. I wouldn't be upset if it won something for photography.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Necrothatcher posted:

Maybe I just really hate the perspective that every film is a puzzlebox to be solved to reveal what it's 'really' about.

And you're posting here? :haw:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really didn't like De Niro as the talk show host. He really grated on me. Other than that I thought it was good. The political message seemed a little mixed but considering the protagonist it tracks thematically. I wouldn't be upset if it won something for photography.

Do you mean you felt it was like a poorly executed role or that you just didn't like the host? I wasn't a fan of the character, but I thought he played it fairly believably and well. My only complaint was that I think he was a little too dismissive when Joker confessed to the murders. I mean dismissive of the gravity of the situation.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

iamsosmrt posted:

Do you mean you felt it was like a poorly executed role or that you just didn't like the host? I wasn't a fan of the character, but I thought he played it fairly believably and well. My only complaint was that I think he was a little too dismissive when Joker confessed to the murders. I mean dismissive of the gravity of the situation.

I do agree with that, I was expecting a "Ok, let's go to commercial..." after Joker said that.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

iamsosmrt posted:

I couldn't imagine anyone watching his show and laughing. I get he was supposed to be bad and vapid but it was a little too over the top.

Like the other standups they show performing aren't gut-bustingly hilarious but they tell actual jokes a person might laugh at.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

I couldn't imagine anyone watching his show and laughing. I get he was supposed to be bad and vapid but it was a little too over the top.
I feel like anyone who has watched more than ten seconds of Fallon could tell you otherwise.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"So you guys hear about these super rats running around now? Lemme tell ya, you wanna see a real super rat infestation just look at the dang White House! Folks,"

Uproarious appluase, 10+ million views on YouTube, half of a 24 hour cable news cycle dedicated to demanding an apology/cheering on their bravery for telling Comedy With A Message.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

“Super cats” is probably the worst joke I’ve ever heard

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Pirate Jet posted:

Except for mom

beanieson posted:

“Super cats” is probably the worst joke I’ve ever heard

The parking lot jokes got some chuckles from the crowd.

Knight2m fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 13, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I appreciated that Murray Franklin's comedy was the same bland, banal crap served up by Johnny Carson and Jay Leno. He wasn't supposed to be funny per se. He was supposed to be the kind of comedian that gets tabbed for mainstream night shows.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Why would the previous scene have anything to do with the elevator scene if they were already acquainted?
You keep arguing that her knowing his name must be synonymous with them being close friends. That's not how anything works.

ruddiger posted:

His only “joke” with her up to that point was pretending to blow his brains out. I don’t know how you can go from that to “you’re so funny ARTHUR!” And not think something’s up.
I did think that's strange. Much like I think it's strange to see you shift the goalpost from the name thing to this other thing while pretending the discussion is about the same thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They should’ve replaced deniro with svengoolie.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 13, 2019

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what the gently caress am I seeing here

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I had no idea that Ron Jeremy was DC canon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think there's anything inherently strange about a neighbour knowing your name regardless of how much you've actually spoken to them.

I wouldn't have been surprised if his mother told everyone in the building about her funny gorgeous son before she became a total recluse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Joker finally inspired someone to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpak5lFxvs