Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

I didn't read it lol

Still, I worry that Corbyn stepping down following a poor electoral showing could prompt a successful coup and throw us unceremoniously back to 2015 hellworld.

Honestly, if Labour doesn't win the next election, we're hosed regardless of who's leader after the blood's stopped flowing.

E: 112 yearsd ago in 1907, Marconi started sending radio across the atlantic.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The world doesn't stop existing even after NDB, it is more important than ever to continue fighting if labour don't win the next election.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

The world doesn't stop existing even after NDB, it is more important than ever to continue fighting if labour don't win the next election.

No, it doesn't. But if Labour loses the next election we get another 5 years of conservatives desperately tacking outright fascist to prevent people noticing the con.

That breaks the country worse than brexit, if anything, especially if brexit has already happened and everything got worse unlike what was promised by bozzer legend.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
if labour doesn't win the next election the labour right will go into overdrive trying to take over at all costs

or they'll try kill the party completely so they can join lib dems

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

WhatEvil posted:

Well that's the thing though, yes this is something that consultants and poo poo do currently, but it's mostly a false economy - they fire workers because it's an easy target but it doesn't *actually* make things any more efficient in the way that investment does. Also my thing was predicated on the "Labour gets into power and we get a proper social safety net back in place" thing.

Have we ever had a 'proper social safety net' though? The old systems were just considerably less poo poo than the current one, but by no means an equivalent to the job you just lost due to efficiency reviews.

quote:

In this case even if you do end up needing fewer workers then you can just make people only work 4 days a week for the same money, so, great. If you need that many fewer workers then you can retrain people and make sure they're actually supported properly whilst doing so.

The same staff working fewer days for the same pay is still more than fewer staff working more days though, so it'd be covered by government to encourage companies not to make a gain by ditching staff? A lot of room for exploitation

I'm not trying to shoot you down WE, I wish we lived in a Corbz Utopia and I wish I could literally work super efficiently for one day a week and have 6 off.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

How am I getting both blamed and praised for the headline about that lunatic who shat himself after eating chocolate oranges :psyduck:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

How am I getting both blamed and praised for the headline about that lunatic who shat himself after eating chocolate oranges :psyduck:

Schrodinger's Miftan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remain unconvinced that we get 5 years of tories if labour doesn't win the next election, because it seems highly likely they would end up in a coalition again and even if they didn't they don't, boris doesn't have the acumen required to not come off as a complete transparent moron who hosed up brexit and everything else he touched.

Further, I don't think the labour right has the ability to take the party back, nor do I think corbyn would step down if he thought there was a likely chance of them doing it. I would expect efforts to secure a left wing nomination for any future leadership contest before he resigned and potentially rule changes to ensure that there would always be such a nomination on the ballot in future. The tories are only going to get less popular over time as they become further detached from the needs and desires of everyone under 50, and I see no reason why labour should not immediately threaten to expropriate anything the tories try to sell off if they can form something resembling a government. Good luck finding a buyer when your government is weak and your opposition is outright saying it won't be private for long, we've already seen the effects a threat of nationalization can do to a private utility.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Miftan posted:

By a continual shifting of rhetorical focus.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Miftan posted:

I bet it was the most fragrant poo tho

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
By a continual making GBS threads of rhetorical focus.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Rhetorical feces

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I had like 3 jokes lined up and you fuckers beat me to all of them.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The chocolate orange... with great power comes great responsibility... one does not simply dabble in the art, it requires a heavy commitment...

*grabs a handful of chocolate covered orange peels*

and this... is to go... EVEN FURTHER BEYOND

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
BINKY!

https://youtu.be/0C1z1MtHAU4

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/explore/public_figure/Jess_Phillips

Interestingly YouGob has Jessflaps at 7% of women with a positive opinion of her and 13% of men.

Corbs 22% positive and 58% negative. Lol. loving jokes.

You have to remember that 90% of the time you see or hear about her it's because she's being praised for calling Corbyn a oval office or praising herself. The half second shes no longer useful she'll be monstered.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Also when she has to stand for something other than being "not Corbyn" and has to actually describe a political position, she'll be crushed. She's not as charismatic as Blair was and won't manage to make nothing sound like something.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
She'd be completely undone by someone asking "name a policy". So far we have her refusing to work to get rid of fossil fuels and nothing else.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MoS_Politics/status/1183115510235455488

lol at calling refusing to vote for Boris' lovely deal a 'plot'

E:

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 12, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's certainly in-keeping with the level of plotting boris has thus far demonstrated, with the unfortunate difference that theirs actually work :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I remain unconvinced that we get 5 years of tories if labour doesn't win the next election, because it seems highly likely they would end up in a coalition again

Yes, because the last time the Tories were in a coalition we certainly didn't get five years of Tories anyway.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I miss my Mini sometimes.

Until I remember it had an engine made of cheese that became an endless money pit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Yes, because the last time the Tories were in a coalition we certainly didn't get five years of Tories anyway.

Boris Johnson is not David Cameron.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

CGI Stardust posted:

Couple of bits from a Phillips interview in this article from 2017

She's the British Amy Klobuchar. Technocrats love a centre-right politician whose gig is telling voters they suck and shouldn't want things to improve. It's kinda amazing we've ended up with a system where "telling voters to gently caress off" is a political strategy and not a joke.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Until I remember it had an engine made of cheese that became an endless money pit.
My mate had an incredibly poo poo second hand mini in the 90s, he left it in his dad's garden while he was away at uni and a bush grew through it :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sulphagnist posted:

She's the British Amy Klobuchar. Technocrats love a centre-right politician whose gig is telling voters they suck and shouldn't want things to improve. It's kinda amazing we've ended up with a system where "telling voters to gently caress off" is a political strategy and not a joke.

Well, it isn't a very good political strategy since they keep losing. The system does end up rewarding people who say voters have been hosed over. The tragedy is that the people in question say that voters are hosed due to foreigners and poors getting above their station rather than due to capitalist exploitation.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WhatEvil posted:

give grants/government money.

When the government puts money out to encourage organisations to do some "thing", you end up with something less efficient than capitalism: commissioners. These are bureaucrats who spend hours in a boardroom discussing which business is best business over a paid for lunch and a stack of bids for their grants. Putting the potential for friendships and backhanders aside, there's the unfortunate reality that the bidding organisations will inevitably do the minimum amount required to get the money. They might even do less if the commissioners don't have the budget to chase the legal issues of liability for a contract that failed. If that's not bad enough, we're assuming that the commissioners or whoever set the requirements and objectives of the grant itself had the sagacity to set requirements and objectives that were any good to the end users of whatever "thing" was being established. Attempts to solve this last problem usually introduce all kinds of fudge statistics and annoying questionnaires that only subtract from the efficiency of the whole process.

That's not to say capitalism is the answer, because we all know where capitalism leads, but just to say that state funded incentives and commissioning structures have a lot that can go wrong.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

:siren:THE TWEETMAN HAS DELETED HER TWITTER ACCOUNT:siren:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Firos posted:

What cos of some mild criticism about being racist lol?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Inshallah

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Firos posted:

Close the thread.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Firos posted:

F for Frances, rest in peace

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

OwlFancier posted:

What cos of some mild criticism about being racist lol?

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1183127647292940288?s=20

So it would seem :v:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Fracist Tweets,man

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Looks more of a Shadrach Dingle to me.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
look I know we have very important news events to discuss these days, but I wanted to take a moment for a recent development which has shaken me to the core.

I just had a Chocolate Orange and the whole experience was distinctly underwhelming. Have they changed the recipe so that it no longer tastes of anything? Have I outgrown my childish love of chocolatey sweets? Has Miftan been embedding subliminal anti-Terryist messages into his forum posts? This is very disturbing. More research may be needed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My dad and I keep a classic mini going.

I like how uncomplicated the engine management is compared to my late 00s motorcycle.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ThomasPaine DMd her the Jose pics.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

:woop:

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 12, 2019

Adbot