Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
God drat do I miss WinCo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Winco even has bulk tea and honey. Winco is good praxis.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

therobit posted:

Winco is good but bagging your own groceries kind of sucks.
I moved to Germany and you bag your own groceries everywhere here. And at some stores, like Aldi, the cashiers are fast as all hell and get really pissed if you don't bag your stuff fast enough. In practice what you have to do if you have more than a handful of things, is rapidly dump everything back into a shopping cart, then bag them separately after you've paid.

edit: it's basically this except imagine the dude in the video is 2-3x as fast on the till - https://www.reddit.com/r/germany/comments/dby8vn/welcome_to_aldi/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Everett finally did the plastic bag ban, now everyone pays for paper bags.

Thankfully my brother grabbed a big handful of plastic bags before the change so we can keep lining our little garbage bins for another year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just use 3/5 gallon compostable bags. You can get a box of 500 of them for cheap at Costco.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My only beef with Winco is they only take debit cards but otherwise yeah they're good.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

seiferguy posted:

My only beef with Winco is they only take debit cards but otherwise yeah they're good.

If they took credit cards they'd have to pay the fees that the companies charge and they'd have to raise the price for all of us

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Just use 3/5 gallon compostable bags. You can get a box of 500 of them for cheap at Costco.

Or get reusable bags from fred meyers
They're like 2 bucks apiece and sturdy as hell

Spergin Morlock fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 10, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

im on the net me boys posted:

If they took credit cards they'd have to pay the fees that the companies charge and they'd have to raise the price for all of us

couldn't they just charge an equivalent fee to what they'd pay out? Or did Credit Card companies successfully lobby to make that somehow illegal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like if the fees were that significant, credit cards wouldn't be taken by literally every other grocery store in the universe. I don't know why winco needs to be special about it, but it's really loving annoying to be "put groceries on the credit card" broke and run into that on top of it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

couldn't they just charge an equivalent fee to what they'd pay out? Or did Credit Card companies successfully lobby to make that somehow illegal.

They didn't have to lobby to make that illegal, they just put it in the merchant contract.

All those minimum payments or transaction surcharges that you see at mom & pop gas stations are technically a violation of their agreement, but snitches get stitches.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

pseudorandom name posted:

They didn't have to lobby to make that illegal, they just put it in the merchant contract.

All those minimum payments or transaction surcharges that you see at mom & pop gas stations are technically a violation of their agreement, but snitches get stitches.

That used to be the case, but there was a court settlement that in 2013 that requires merchants be allowed to charge a fee equal to what they pay for processing, up to 4%.

I also think most larger retailers realize that accepting card expands the pool of customers enough that it is still worth the fees in the long run, but I'm not 100% sure the Winco customer base (at least at the store near me) will be as sensitive to that. It's budget store. And not taking credit has not changed my shopping behavior, despite the fact that I make nearly all of my purchases on a travel miles card, so grocery may be a different story than other retail, or perhaps taking debit is enough. If I had to pay in cash I probably wouldn't bother shopping there, because who carries cash these days?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Javid posted:

I feel like if the fees were that significant, credit cards wouldn't be taken by literally every other grocery store in the universe. I don't know why winco needs to be special about it, but it's really loving annoying to be "put groceries on the credit card" broke and run into that on top of it

Most stores generally don't mind raising the price a bit but WinCo is run with the idea of being the cheapest grocery store so they're sensitive to those fees. Grocery stores are already a low margin business, so a 2.6% fee is actually a lot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Javid posted:

Have you noticed that grocery prices are higher pretty much anywhere else?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

WinCo and Walmart tend to be more or less on par, some stuff is cheaper at one and some at the other in my experience cross shopping (since they're across the street from each other here)

Freddie's is more expensive but you're basically paying to not be in Walmart at that point

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Javid posted:

WinCo and Walmart tend to be more or less on par, some stuff is cheaper at one and some at the other in my experience cross shopping (since they're across the street from each other here)

Freddie's is more expensive but you're basically paying to not be in Walmart at that point

walmart produce is gross though. i'm not sure how they manage to ALWAYS have half rotten fruits and vegetables on display

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Spergin Morlock posted:

walmart produce is gross though. i'm not sure how they manage to ALWAYS have half rotten fruits and vegetables on display

Also Wal Mart keeps prices low by exploiting people that work for them and pretty much everyone at every step of the supply chain to keep shareholders and the Waltons richer than god. WinCo is a worker coop that doesn't have to answer to insane shareholder demands. No ethical consumption under capitalism et al but I know where I'd rather spend my money.

E: I will acknowledge that I am privileged enough to basically never be at "too broke to buy groceries without using a credit card though" and I can empathize with a person who has to deal with that poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

On the whole I definitely prefer to avoid Walmart even with equal ish prices, but WinCo has neither a meaningful sporting goods section nor certain somewhat nichey food items I happen to like, so I have to go in a couple times a month.

"Groceries on credit" is a rare, unplanned thing, but it does happen and being locked out of the good groceries is just an extra gently caress you on an already lovely day.

E: from my trucking days I have anecdotes of Walmart bidding on trailers of produce that had exceeded the temperature limits for that load, which they then sell, so I literally just will not buy unpackaged plant matter there now that there's a WinCo directly across the highway

Javid fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 11, 2019

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Winco owns because they're the cheapest place to stock up on lovely Totino's party pizza.

therobit posted:

I do 90% of my shopping between Costco and Winco. Winco is good but bagging your own groceries kind of sucks.

Be glad they didn't adopt needing a quarter if you want to use a shopping cart like the budget Euro groceries on the east coast.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
if you want a real adventuredeal just get some meat from grocery outlet

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
There's usually some marked down steaks at half off

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just buy a cheaper cut from a more reputable place and use a pressure cooker, slow cooker or immersion circulator to make it tasty.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I don't know if I'd go to Gross Out for fresh steak, but their wine selection is generally unbeatable for the price.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
groc out is legit. it's where i get my unpopular ice cream flavors.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Anti-referendum 88 folks want to prove affirmative action is racist by... hiring the proud boys as body guards?

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/10/15/41688528/washington-affirmative-action-opponents-enlisted-the-proud-boys-for-security

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

LOL did it have to be referendum #88?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I hope we see alot more of these dickholes lose their guns in the future.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...d6-78f877977340

quote:

SEATTLE — Police have seized military-style firearms from an avowed neo-Nazi in Snohomish County in what is believed to be a first-of-its-kind case in Washington state.

“We actually, I firmly believe, prevented a massacre,” said Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes, whose office was involved in the investigation.

Records filed in King County court show officers from the Arlington and Seattle police departments seized five military-style rifles, three pistols, and other gun parts from a residence on Jordan Trails Road in Arlington.

According to court documents, the weapons belong to Kaleb J. Cole, who is the suspected leader of The Atomwaffen Division in Washington state.

Authorities claim Cole has been amassing firearms and training with weapons in Western Washington. Online videos show Atomwaffen members firing guns and moving through rooms at “devils tower,” a graffiti-scarred building at an abandoned cement plant near the City of Concrete.

“This is a hate-filled human being but one who, unfortunately, possesses a large number of weapons,” said Holmes.

Cole is not charged with a crime but is named in an Extreme Risk Protection Order (ERPO) filed earlier this month in King County court. In the civil paperwork, prosecutors and the FBI convinced a judge that “Kaleb Cole poses a serious threat to public safety by having access and possession to firearms and a concealed pistol license.”

The judge issued an order requiring Cole to surrender all firearms to the police.

Atomwaffen, which is a German for “atomic weapon,” is a small but extreme organization that seeks inspiration from Adolph Hitler and Charles Manson, who ordered mass murders to attempt to trigger a race war.

Its white supremacist members claim they will not start the war, but they are arming themselves in preparation.

Atomwaffen members have been charged in five murders in other states.

The FBI has clearly been watching Cole, although a spokesperson for the bureau’s Seattle office declined to comment.

Documents filed in court show that Cole traveled to Eastern Europe in December of 2018 on a trip to honor the sites of some of World War II’s most horrific scenes.

Cell phone photos retrieved by Customs and Border Patrol agents when Cole re-entered the U.S. show him posing in front of the Nazi death camp Auschwitz. In the photos, Cole is holding up the Atomwaffen flag at other locations, and other photos show him holding guns.

“Cole has been permanently banned from entry into Canada as a result of his [admitted] membership/affiliation with the Atomwaffen Division,” the Border Patrol report stated.

Earlier this year, the Seattle FBI approached Seattle/King County’s Regional Firearms Enforcement Unit operated by the Seattle City Attorney, King County Prosecutor, and Seattle police.

Agents sought an ERPO to disarm Cole, but the federal government has no such tool.

“The fact is the federal government came to us. There’s no other mechanism like our firearms unit that’s in existence. There’s no one else in the state that’s doing this,” said Holmes.

It’s the first time the Feds have sought an ERPO in Washington state, and it’s believed to be one of the first instances in the nation.

King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg, whose deputy prosecutor Kim Wyatt argued the ERPO case before the judge, said the order to surrender guns is the right tool when law enforcement does not have enough evidence to file a criminal charge.

“In this case, the joint terrorism task force had assessed Mr. Cole and said he was somebody who was doing more than thinking and talking about his extremist, violent beliefs, but that he was actually acting on it,” Satterberg said.

Holmes said the case marks an important milestone since he started working with his domestic violence prosecutor, Chris Anderson, on the pilot project that formed the firearms enforcement unit.

That unit has now seized nearly 1100 firearms since 2017, mostly from accused domestic abusers.

The fact the FBI recognized an ERPO’s ability to stop a threat is significant.

“We can actually prevent some of these massacres,” said Holmes.

KING 5 has been unable to reach Cole for comment. The order that he does not possess any firearms remains in effect for one year.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I don't see the article mention any evidence he was planning a terrorist attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to file another ERPO in a year, at which time the NRA's lawyers will get it lifted.

Unless they have evidence he was planning to act.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
My dude, you need to go read up on Atomwaffen. They are literally a right wing terrorist group, under active crackdown by the feds.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

How does that change what I posted?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

The salt over the dude who got red flagged in Washington would be compounded if this comic was posted as a response.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

porkface posted:

I don't see the article mention any evidence he was planning a terrorist attack.

I wouldn't be surprised if they attempt to file another ERPO in a year, at which time the NRA's lawyers will get it lifted.

Unless they have evidence he was planning to act.

Presumably they aren't so stupid as to have the entire basis of their confiscation be on his membership in Atomwaffen

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Presumably they aren't so stupid as to have the entire basis of their confiscation be on his membership in Atomwaffen

Yeah it strikes me that it is unlikely a judge would go along with that as being the only reasoning. This guy has to have said or done something that indicates he may commit an act of violence in the near future.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Considering how often their discord chat logs get leaked, something tells me opsec and infosec aren't near whatever wheelhouse these morons have.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Ok I wasn't sure if I missed something or if we were just reading into it.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I'm sure the violent armed white supremacist criminals in no way indicated they would commit a crime in the near future

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Considering how often their discord chat logs get leaked, something tells me opsec and infosec aren't near whatever wheelhouse these morons have.

I assume its this. Atomwaffen morons openly cheer about the people they murder in their discord and it wouldn't surprise me if they;re also dumb enough to plan new attacks in chat.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

seen today in Vancouver: guns with assigned genders?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

seen today in Vancouver: guns with assigned genders?

Ah yes, the two gunders.