Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Xavier’s dream isn’t worth poo poo if it gets all the mutants killed. Magneto’s dream isn’t worth poo poo if it gets all the mutants killed. Apocalypse’s dream isn’t worth poo poo if it gets all the mutants killed.

None of them even deserve to be leaders unless they start offering survival.

That’s what this new story is all about. A new method for Xavier to apply his ideals while still offering any realistic chance of staying alive. It’s the core idea of evolution itself, change or die.

Krakoa represents going one step beyond that. Not just surviving, but making a real life. Like Magneto said, forming a new world where success doesn’t come from brute force and aggression, but creativity and teamwork and communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Is this all part of a lengthy interconnected storyline like the lead-up to Secret Wars, or just a flat-out soft reboot?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wanderer posted:

Is this all part of a lengthy interconnected storyline like the lead-up to Secret Wars, or just a flat-out soft reboot?

I guess no matter how it ends it's probably safe to call it a reboot since they are bringing back everyone who died.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

You could argue that, and you'd be wrong, but no one's stopping you etc. :buddy:

Generations are always changing and shifting in ways that the old guard don't foresee or like; that's always been true. And so incremental change does occur. But what you're talking about with Greta Thunberg is still the same sort of activism that progressives have always deployed. It has a particularly confrontational and condemnatory tone to it, but the anger of the young towards the old -- and vice versa -- is not a brand new thing that's just happening now. Thunberg hasn't issued any ultimatums. She hasn't offered any bargains and threats. It's enlivening to see someone like her act as the voice of a tired and angry community, yet whether any real change comes from it still relies on whether the assholes in charge give enough a poo poo about the noise that she's making. Same as with the Parkland activists before her, and Malala Yousafzai before them, and Columbine activists before her, and etc.

I'm not knocking it, by the way, I love and admire what they do. But I don't understand what point you're trying to make by citing this sort of activism as a comparison to Krakoan extremism when it is still ultimately just people...not being nice perhaps, but still playing within the rules, coloring within the lines, and hoping that the people in power will change their mind through the sheer force of your persuasion. That's still the classic X-Men credo, not this radicalized version.

Incidentally, you're confusing "wanting peace" with "being nice." The fact that Xavier wanted peace and harmony does not mean he was bending over backwards to be accommodating and polite to humankind. But he ultimately did believe in humankind's capacity for change and the fact that not every person was a bad seed just because a lot of them were. If that's not patently "heroic" enough for this cynical new world then well. Sucks. But that was once his dream regardless and no amount of fancy words will obfuscate that.

And just a point of fact: this attitude of his also applied towards mutantkind as well, the hope that not all of them will be as hate-ridden and violent as Magneto forever. 'Cuz lest we forget, time used to be that mutants caused just as much problems for other mutants as humans did. But that doesn't quite fit in with this current mutant unity theme so hey we'll just breeze past it I guess.

What you're missing there is that the X-Men are a power fantasy. You're right, people are not making those threats, because they don't have the power to. X-Men has always been a power fantasy but what that fantasy entails has changed over time. The old fantasy of "what if we had strength and community enough to stand against the people oppressing us and force ourselves to be heard" is still there. It's just taking a different tactic because the world itself has changed around it and what was once considered reasonable isn't anymore.

Xavier absolutely used to bend over backwards for humanity. It was in fact a major trait of his. He expected mutants to accept the prejudice and cruelty and be better than it no matter how many atrocities were thrown at them. He wanted peace and he tried to go at it through the Model Minority method which is something that stopped being meaningful since the Claremont era or before. Xavier wanting peace has not changed, or at least not that we're shown. He's just no longer willing to demand mutants sacrifice themselves in hopes that humans will be kind to them.

As far as "mutants cause problems too" thing, you're right. I'm not clear why you think they're 'brushing over it' considering that it is addressed multiple times in Hickman's run. However it's also important to note that the vast majority of X-Men focused villains are mutants who believe they have to act a certain way for their survival. Yes, you have the occasional Sabertooth, but X-Men has remarkably few "I want to be evil to be evil" villains. There is a reason so many of the mutant villains eventually end up heroes or on teams. If you give the mutants a place where they are not fighting for their survival every moment of the day then, shock and awe, a lot of them are less shitbirds.

There are obviously going to be cracks. Eventually Apocalypse, Sinister, or one of the other morally ambigious assholes is going to cause trouble. The utopia can't last. But it isn't because they're glossing over it or anything like that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 12, 2019

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I disagree with the idea that Xavier previously had mutants bend over backwards for humans and be model minorities. Most X-Men stories consist of the X-Men swooping in and being justifiably violent towards those that oppress them. The basic story structure goes, rear end in a top hat wants to do something racist> X--Men come in and start blasting people with Punch Lasers and stabbing them with claws> Moral lesson> Fin. The X-Men have never tried to stop Sentinels by tut-tutting them, they scrap them as a first resort.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The x-men will slaughter robots with no problem. But I think that when they deal with human enemies, they’re always much more polite than they should be.

What I remember from the cartoon is that they were dealing with Trask dad, who was developing the master mold system. By the season finale, they convinced Trask dad that mutants were good. But then he died, and Trask son continued to be a murderous villain for the entire rest of the series.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
All this talk of Xavier's Dream seems to ignore the entries in Moira's diary where she details that she's corrupted him/our understanding of the Dream to whatever her plan for survival ultimately entails.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aw poo poo, I just realized we didn't get any explanation at all for why Jean's wearing the Marvel Girl costume and acting like a newbie. Is she in any of the books going forward?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The key was that you'd see characters inheriting similar but not identical powers, was the thing - but since this was the '80s and early '90s, there weren't nearly so many time-displaced or alternate future kids of extant characters running around, so it was mostly a moot point.

Also.... no, Franklin's just about always been considered a mutant, dude. The fact that he wasn't wearing an X or anything never changed his mutanthood (the way Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were explicitly made nonmutant). Like, this was a thing in the '80s when the Mutant Registration Act was a big thing in the comics:

That's Franklin there on the right, in the 'Tattletale' costume he was wearing while hanging around as the unofficial fifth member of the Power Pack. His being a mutant was a pretty integral part of the Onslaught storyline. Dude's always been a mutant, man.

Yeah, Franklin has been a mutant for as long as I've been reading comics which stretches back to the 80s. Power Pack to Days of Future Past and Days of Future Present, to Onslaught, and Hickman has even mentioned that he is a mutant a couple times in his Fantastic Four/FF run before it was mentioned again in the House of X.

Billzasilver posted:

Do you think Hickman is on team Magneto Was Right?

Hickman's work has always had a healthy amount of cynicism to it, with the exception of MAYBE his Fantastic Four run? So I think yes, kind of, is probably the right answer.

We'll see but I think what was interesting about the Magneto / Xavier interactions is Xavier became more like Magneto but I think Magneto also moved toward Xavier. Magneto's shown a willingness to differ to Xavier and he also backed Jean Grey's "killing humans is a high crime" proposition by Jean, both these things make me think he's softened some of his approach.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Aw poo poo, I just realized we didn't get any explanation at all for why Jean's wearing the Marvel Girl costume and acting like a newbie. Is she in any of the books going forward?

Given she's very eloquent in the Quiet Council scene, I think it's just slightly dodgy characterisation. Maybe there'll be a twist, but I think Hickman's take on Jean is just that she's more of an ingenue than she was under Taylor or Morrison.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Phenotype posted:

The costume thing appears to be Hickman just having a thing for that outfit, but I agree that it feels wildly out of place. She's gonna be in both the main X-men title and X-force.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

galagazombie posted:

I disagree with the idea that Xavier previously had mutants bend over backwards for humans and be model minorities. Most X-Men stories consist of the X-Men swooping in and being justifiably violent towards those that oppress them. The basic story structure goes, rear end in a top hat wants to do something racist> X--Men come in and start blasting people with Punch Lasers and stabbing them with claws> Moral lesson> Fin. The X-Men have never tried to stop Sentinels by tut-tutting them, they scrap them as a first resort.
Kicksplode punch laser goesfast awesomesauce aside, there have been countless X-Men stories where Xavier (or Jean Grey, or Cyclops, or Alex Summers, or Storm, or Dani, or etc. etc. etc.) give impassioned speeches about turning the other cheek and peaceful co-existence. They've given the speeches in high schools, at concerts, at the Hague, at the United Nations, in the middle of battles, on television, at universities, in Central Park, in outer space, in churches. It's baked into the Claremont-onwards DNA of X-Men books. They're constantly trying to rehabilitate criminals and pulling back from attacking government officials and giving speeches about how That's Not Who We Are and etc. but yes, when giant robots come in to exterminate them, they do not try to reason with them. You've got a perfect grasp of the franchise.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Laughing Zealot posted:

The costume thing appears to be Hickman just having a thing for that outfit, but I agree that it feels wildly out of place. She's gonna be in both the main X-men title and X-force.

He's said in an interview that the X-Men outfits will be from a wardrobe that consists of all their outfits (I think he may have hinted at new ones, too?) and not a static costume, which has been the case in the past. Honestly, I don't blame him for favoring the traditional one. I think all of Jean's costumes have sucked and the traditional is probably the only one looks the best, aside from her Phoenix costume of course.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Strange Poon posted:

He's said in an interview that the X-Men outfits will be from a wardrobe that consists of all their outfits (I think he may have hinted at new ones, too?) and not a static costume, which has been the case in the past. Honestly, I don't blame him for favoring the traditional one. I think all of Jean's costumes have sucked and the traditional is probably the only one looks the best, aside from her Phoenix costume of course.

Now I want an issue where they're going to some sort of formal UN thing because they're a recognized nation and Storm wears her 80's punk outfit.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Strange Poon posted:

He's said in an interview that the X-Men outfits will be from a wardrobe that consists of all their outfits (I think he may have hinted at new ones, too?) and not a static costume, which has been the case in the past.

:psyduck: what the ever living gently caress. This is the REAL earth shattering change he brought to the Marvel Universe.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Billzasilver posted:

:psyduck: what the ever living gently caress. This is the REAL earth shattering change he brought to the Marvel Universe.

Yeah, the idea, near as I can tell, is moving away from the idea of 'costumes' and into the realm of 'this is what fashion is for mutants.' Considering Hickman's whole deal with this run seems to be establishing mutantkind as a viable subculture, it's a useful and interesting approach IMHO.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jumbo Carnation is probably the resurrection I'm looking forward to the most.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Will the mutant who's power is to be forgotten be remembered and brought back to life?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Strange Poon posted:

Her X-Men: Red costume is really fitting and Pepe Larraz makes it look badass. Then again, Larraz makes everything and everyone look badass.

Jean just really sticks out like a sore thumb right now because no one else is wearing their teen year outfits so the whole "everyone is in classic costumes" excuse doesn't really work out for her and instead just seems to single her out for being particularly infantilized in this run. She literally went from being decked out in battle armor to wearing a cheerleader-esque miniskirt. Which, depending on who you talk to, is either some other stroke of Hickmanian genius that will pay off...at some point...in the future...or just a weird creepy annoying thing Hickman is really bad at doing.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 13, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know it was well received but I didn't read that stuff because Jean sucks. Is her face looking so young in X-Men Red just artist's choice or a story point?

It's supposed to be older original Jean, right? The caption would seem to suggest that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

I know it was well received but I didn't read that stuff because Jean sucks. Is her face looking so young in X-Men Red just artist's choice or a story point?

It's supposed to be older original Jean, right? The caption would seem to suggest that.

Die in a fire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Search your feelings. She's the worst member of the Grey-Summers group and that includes Vulcan.

Edit: Okay even I can't go that far. But she's #2.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 13, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Jean Grey does suck, but that's because for the first years of her existence she had no personality beyond "the girl."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

The young jean grey book was great. Should’ve kept her instead of bringing back old jean.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, the idea, near as I can tell, is moving away from the idea of 'costumes' and into the realm of 'this is what fashion is for mutants.' Considering Hickman's whole deal with this run seems to be establishing mutantkind as a viable subculture, it's a useful and interesting approach IMHO.

Now I want Kitty to appear in the different X-books just to showcase all of her atrocious old costumes. :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Will the mutant who's power is to be forgotten be remembered and brought back to life?

I assume Charlie is backing people up on some sort of unconscious level, so he probably has one of the forgotten mutant, if he can remember to resurrect him at some point is a different question.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

I assume Charlie is backing people up on some sort of unconscious level, so he probably has one of the forgotten mutant, if he can remember to resurrect him at some point is a different question.

Didn’t they mention he plans to bring back everyone from Genosha?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like to imagine the costume directive it just that whatever artist is drawing whatever X-Men character can just draw their favorite costume.

"Why is Rogue in her purple space suit? She wears that on Wednesdays."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

BrianWilly posted:

Her X-Men: Red costume is really fitting and Pepe Larraz makes it look badass. Then again, Larraz makes everything and everyone look badass.

Thanks for this, that was exactly the costume I was thinking of, it's like a more practical, armored version of her costume from the 90s cartoon. Which I always thought made a lot of sense for Jean -- she doesn't do a lot of kickpunching like some of the other X-men, so she doesn't really need the skintight jumpsuit. Makes more sense for her to be wearing some armor in case someone shoots at her while she's busy doing magic mind stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Marvel Girl costume is great.It's 70's as hell and I dig it.

And it's her best costume outside of the X-Factor costumes, but I'm a sucker for those on anyone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I wouldn't even mind if the X-Men really were just pulling random old costumes out of their closets every other week and so Jean would wear that one day, sure, and then next issue she's wearing the New X-Men leather thing, and then Cyclops just shows up wearing his time-displaced teenage Champions suit to a Great Captains meeting or something. That'd be hilarious. But that's not really what's been happening, and it doesn't look like it'll happen in the future either, so......

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I've seen speculation that Jean's been reverted to a 'Legacy' persona for whatever reason, which seems...kinda hosed up? Also kinda weird that nobody else has noticed.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I feel like the "Red" costume plus the old school mask with a unified color scheme would be the platonic ideal of a new, more mature, "superhero" Marvel Girl.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Is there any decent way to watch the 1992 series these days? I was a little old for it when it aired.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Is there any decent way to watch the 1992 series these days? I was a little old for it when it aired.

It will be on Disney+ in a month.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Transistor Rhythm posted:

https://youtu.be/wD_Xb512Avc

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Having just read the initial factor run I must agree Jean and Scott's costumes at the end of the series are my favorites for them and it sucks they only had them for a short time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m reading Inferno, and I wouldn’t mind the O5 wearing their X Factor costumes for a mission.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I've seen speculation that Jean's been reverted to a 'Legacy' persona for whatever reason, which seems...kinda hosed up? Also kinda weird that nobody else has noticed.

there's "speculation" and there's "it may as well have been blatantly spelled out on the page in one of the House of X issues" and i felt like i was going crazy because nobody else picked up on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt notice because idgaf about jean.