Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's my spread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Here's mine. It's very hard for a movie to get a half-star or five-star rating from me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

3, 3.5 and 4 are perfectly tied with 56 movies each. 1.5 usually means "this movie was horrible, but there was at least one interesting idea or performance" and 4.5 is "this movie would probably be a 5 for anybody else but I have one little nitpick." Movies often "graduate" from 4.5 to 5 after I reevaluate them later.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 29, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think my spread essentially comes down to:
(5) A drat masterpiece
(4) Generally excellent but not "holy poo poo" excellent
(3) Flawed, but salvaged by a few good ideas, performances, etc.
(2) Most definitely Not Good, but one or two redeeming elements
(1) poo poo for the toliet

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

No real hard and fast rules on how I rate (50% because I tend to review when I'm tired as poo poo, 50% cuz an impulse score is usually better than overthinking it), because I can generally find something I don't like in a movie I love or vice versa.

My hardest thing, really, is the "it's okay, I guess?" range of 2-and-a-half to 3 stars.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

For context, I have 2,478 movies logged, but only reviews for 754, because I only give star ratings to films I've seen since joining Letterboxd, and I also usually don't give star ratings to short films (I adopted K. Waste's 'Likes' system for that).

Even for only accounting for 30% of films I've logged, I'm a little surprised with 4 stars being my most common score. I watch a lot of good movies.

I save 5 stars for movies I love and would consider an all-time. I don't give out 5 Star reviews for films I watch for the first time, the highest they can get is 4.5.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Cross post from the October Challenge, but it's cool news worth posting twice:

Letterboxd just announced a partnership with JustWatch.com

Premium members can go in their settings and choose a Preferred Streaming Services. You can then sort any list, including your watch list, by what's available on any of your Preferred Services or specific ones.

You can still sort by genre, decade, and other qualifiers:

This is immensely handy. Especially for streaming services that have bad interfaces or infinite choices, like Hulu or Tubi.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Holy poo poo this is gonna change my life

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I can finally see what's available on Netflix! And I can use the Letterboxd watchlist as my watchlist without needing a secondary website to check what's available where! This is amazing, I'm going to get a subscription right away.

Edit: But I thought this was already available for the US, what changed for you guys?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My relationship with the like button is this: the star ratings are for how objectively good I think it is, but the like button is for how much I enjoyed it. So there’s a considerable amount of extremely low rated movies that have a heart next to them, and a handful of five star movies that I just didn’t connect with emotionally.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Edit: But I thought this was already available for the US, what changed for you guys?

It didn't work, and had maybe 1/8th of the options.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hopefully they can get this to work so I can finally pull the trigger on a paid membership. Like they admit in the announcement, some of their features have been janky at best.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

It didn't work, and had maybe 1/8th of the options.

yeah I think they used "gowatchit" instead and it wasn't nearly as good

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm probably a bit more generous with films since I'm fairly picky.

5 - loved it, among the best I've seen
4 - Really enjoyed it, just not a masterpiece
2.5 - Not half bad, but not half good either :stat::wal:
2 - Actively disliked, but found enough to sort of like
1 - Trash, only thing between .5 and 1 is that I might like one scene or something

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 30, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I keep forgetting to write actual reviews for movies on this but making stupid lists is incredibly fun, and probably my favourite feature of the site.

Here is my latest:

https://letterboxd.com/foskoff/list/movies-seen-with-my-guide-dog-puppy/

After Thursday I can add The Joker to this. Can't wait to see what the dog thinks of it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Is there any way to block reviews from a specific user? I'd be so happy if I never came across another one of Todd Gaines' 'Here's a sentence fragment of a scene. Here's another scene fragment. An item was there. Someone did thing. Haircut,' entries.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gonna change my Letterboxd top four in honor of this shirt

https://twitter.com/nightpromoting/status/1181329980409688064?s=21

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Is there any way to block reviews from a specific user? I'd be so happy if I never came across another one of Todd Gaines' 'Here's a sentence fragment of a scene. Here's another scene fragment. An item was there. Someone did thing. Haircut,' entries.
No, and it's one of the most annoying things about Letterboxd. You can block someone, but it just stops them commenting on your reviews and their comments on other reviews are hidden... But there's no way to essentially "erase" someone from your experience on the site like there is on Twitter, Facebook, etc.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darthemed posted:

I try to use mental powers to make block work like this all the time. Someone (hopefully not one of y’all) likes the absolute shittiest performative woke reviews by some rear end in a top hat and that means they stay in the “reviews your friends like” bottom of the home page for days.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Are we still posting our rating distributions? I use Criticker so I don't know if I'm technically invited, but:

Like a lot of people my ratings skew kind of high because I try to only watch movies I'm going to enjoy. If you want to know why I have 100 movies rated 87 and about half that many (51) rated 85, or why I have 82 movies rated 82 and half that many rated 81, well, join the club. My brain works weirdly I guess.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Surprisingly positive on average

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

When you guys rate movies, do you use 50/100 as "an average movie", or "a mediocre/bad movie"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

piratepilates posted:

When you guys rate movies, do you use 50/100 as "an average movie", or "a mediocre/bad movie"?

3 stars is my "yeah it's fine. Nothing really stood out", 4 is "I really enjoyed this" and 2 is "this is noticeably weak". I try to keep the center point actually on the center

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

I generally reserve two-and-a-halfs-out-of-five for movies that I'm actively ambivalent about. If my internal view boils down to a whole lot of "I liked this, but that? Eh", it gets a middle grade, with a Like or not if it skews slightly one way or another.

Usually that rating is a lowkey reminder to re-watch it when I feel like it, because a non-zero percentage of the time I've watched it when I'm tired or otherwise not super into the film-watching experience, which isn't the best frame of mind to review stuff.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 12, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
On Criticker (though I haven't used it in forever), 50 is awful, because a 50% grade is an F in every school I went to.

On a 5 star scale, though, 2.5 is just mediocre- like a C+, can't quite recommend.

Yes this makes no sense.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I pretty much use the wrestling star system scale:

* - not good
** - average
*** - good
**** - excellent
***** - amazing, movie of the year contenders

Then there’s half star increments as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Above 50%: I liked this movie
Below 50%: I did not like this movie

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

Three stars for me is “It’s fine.”

3.5 It’s fine with one or two stand-out aspects.

2.5 I didn’t like it but there’s some things I appreciate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

0 stars - absolute garbage
1/2 star - barely a movie
1 star - bad
1 1/2 stars - bad but maybe had a good idea/scene or an actor who stood out
2 stars - okay
2 1/2 stars - good
3 stars - pretty good
3 1/2 stars - really good
4 stars - great
4 1/2 stars - really great
5 stars - the best

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

1/2 Star - Shameful
1 Star - Absolute Garbage
2 Star - Bad
2 1/2 Star - Below Average. Still enjoyable to some.
3 Star - Average/Fine
3 1/2 Star - Above Average, Notable
4 Star - Fantastic, Memorable
4 1/2 Star - All time favorite material. Absolutely great.
5 Star - Masterpiece

I'm only really, really stingy with my 5 Stars. And I'm also probably really unreliable with my own ranking system as a fan of bad movies. Where the hell do you rank Troll 2, Miami Connection, or Blood Beat? They're awful, awful films that I love dearly. The perfectionist in me wants to score them low for consistency, but they're 5 stars in my heart. :allears:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Several Goblins posted:

Where the hell do you rank Troll 2, Miami Connection, or Blood Beat? They're awful, awful films that I love dearly. The perfectionist in me wants to score them low for consistency, but they're 5 stars in my heart. :allears:

That's easy for me: I just give a film like Blood Beat 3 stars (because it's not an amazing 5 star movie) but I mash the like button and in my narrative review I make a note that a guy is attacked by a pantry and knocked out by a can of Tab.

If I or anybody looking at my profile wants to find good cult films, the best way to do that is to find movies with three stars or lower that still have the like button activated. Three stars and no like? It's probably a very average slog. Three stars AND a like? It's probably got a sex scene involving a can of V8 and fun to watch despite its many flaws. The Like button is important!

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 13, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
for the case of bad movies that you like, i rate it what it deserves with stars and give it a heart if i'd willingly watch it again

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

InfiniteZero posted:

That's easy for me: I just give a film like Blood Beat 3 stars (because it's not an amazing 5 star movie) but I mash the like button and in my narrative review I make a note that a guy is attacked by a pantry and knocked out by a can of Tab.

If I or anybody looking at my profile wants to find good cult films, the best way to do that is to find movies with three stars or lower that still have the like button activated. Three stars and no like? It's probably a very average slog. Three stars AND a like? It's probably got a sex scene involving a can of V8 and fun to watch despite its many flaws. The Like button is important!

You are absolutely correct and I need to utilize the Like button far more. I only started using the diary button this year. :shobon: I treated Letterboxd like Criticker for too long and only ever rated stuff. Didn't bother with the extra fluff till I signed up for Pro.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

If Miami Connection was truly a bad movie you wouldn't be thinking of giving it 5 stars, if your heart gives it 5 stars then why not your brain too?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How enjoyable/interesting something is is king. Competency isn't that important.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

I try to keep the center point actually on the center

Me too.

Teenage Fansub posted:

How enjoyable/interesting something is is king. Competency isn't that important.

I feel the same way. I'm not a film critic. I'm just evaluating how engrossed I was in what I watched.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alright Thanos

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
This is RYM's film section rather than Letterboxd, but I always loved this random guy's commitment to keeping his ratings distribution as uniform as possible:

At one point I'm pretty sure he had exactly 200 for each

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Allyn posted:

This is RYM's film section rather than Letterboxd, but I always loved this random guy's commitment to keeping his ratings distribution as uniform as possible:

At one point I'm pretty sure he had exactly 200 for each

this is some serial killer poo poo

do you think he gets really mad when he watches a good movie because it means his OCD will force him to watch some garbage made for TV Lifetime movie to balance out his scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Several Goblins posted:

You are absolutely correct and I need to utilize the Like button far more. I only started using the diary button this year. :shobon: I treated Letterboxd like Criticker for too long and only ever rated stuff. Didn't bother with the extra fluff till I signed up for Pro.

For sure. There's plenty of movies I have seen that are objectively Good movies that I just don't want to see again.

This year I gave Fighting With My Family 4 stars because it's really good at what it wants to be--a coming-of-age underdog sports film that deals heavily with family--but those types of movies, in general, rank low on my interest. So it doesn't get a Like Heart, and it's low on my 2019 Ranked list.

Servoret posted:

Me too.

I feel the same way. I'm not a film critic. I'm just evaluating how engrossed I was in what I watched.

This doesn't insinuate that you're objective. It insinuates you mostly watch films you find average.

My ratings gravitates towards 4 star reviews, but I also stream most of my movies from Criterion Channel, which is curated, and has a higher quality ratio of films available.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 14, 2019