Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Recurring EE alone sounds like heck

EE on 6. Get 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Recurring EE alone sounds like heck

Resolving Emry and knowing it's safe is just absurd.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

27 actually! :science:

I do think this is a problem for Modern, especially when the decks require such disparate hate to combat

I'm just worried WotC will hit Opal this time, instead of Urza.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mehall posted:

I know it seems like I'm being sarcastic (facetious?) but in actuality I know they'll ban Opal instead of Urza.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tubgoat posted:

Lol, Urza is 24 of those decks. So long, Opal! This is Urza's format now!

Jund is also 15, so long Goyf!

Tron has 16, goodbye Urza lands!

Primetime, your days are numbered too! (also 16)

People complained about a bunch of supposedly underpowered sets, and now that there's actually cards making an impact in older formats, people are complaining that the cards are too good. Hogaak was likely an issue, but the format's still evolving, maybe give it some time? I mean there were folks around here who unironically wanted Death Shadow banned when those decks first started getting popular, Cavern of Souls when humans started being a thing, Hell people were saying Hollow One should eat a ban the 5 minutes that was a deck.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 13, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mehall posted:

Opal has been the lynchpin of two different banned decks in a year and a half, I wouldn’t give it two years until we’re back here again.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Opal has been the lynchpin of two different banned decks in a year and a half, I wouldn’t give it two years until we’re back here again.

Except Opal isn't the lynchpin of the Urza deck. That's kind of the basis of our concern. Opal is a problem card, but it isn't what makes Urza work. It just makes it a bit faster.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateNu posted:

Except Opal isn't the lynchpin of the Urza deck. That's kind of the basis of our concern. Opal is a problem card, but it isn't what makes Urza work. It just makes it a bit faster.

Urza deck will keep on trucking without opal and it’s not even debatable.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

If Urza were a turn 5 combo kill, nobody would care. It's that fact that it often turn 3s an actual kill, and more often turn 3s an unbeatable board position that makes it stupid.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Infinite engineered explosives is a terrifying proposition.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Weird way to spell Faithless Looting :v:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Would banning Opal be more like the Bridge ban where it didn't matter or the Looting ban where it was also paired with correctly banning the broke-rear end wincon from modern horizons, and incidentally kills a half-dozen other decks?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Modern is worse now than it was pre horizons

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Would banning Opal be more like the Bridge ban where it didn't matter or the Looting ban where it was also paired with correctly banning the broke-rear end wincon from modern horizons, and incidentally kills a half-dozen other decks?

Looting needed to go, that was clear prior to Hogaak.

I don't think it's like banning Bridge, because banning Opal does absolutely kill a bunch of possible decks, as well as hurting another set of decks that make use of it but can slow down in favour of more consistency.

I *get* why, if WotC ban Opal, why they did it, but I disagree because the number of decks using it in a very fair way are huge.

Banning Opal from KCI wouldn't have changed all the problems with KCI, and it wouldn't destroy Urza, but it sure as poo poo would hit a bunch of other decks a lot harder.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mehall posted:

Banning Opal from KCI wouldn't have changed all the problems with KCI, and it wouldn't destroy Urza, but it sure as poo poo would hit a bunch of other decks a lot harder.
This is why I'm against banning Opal, also the fact that I'd like to maybe play mine again someday if Karn ever stops being maindeckable in most decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Urza should absolutely be banned but PO’s just gonna pivot to Emry Ascendancy

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Time posted:

I know the top8 alone is a bad metric, but the tournament has 7 pretty drat different decks represented.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just ban Mox Opal and Mox Amber. Urza can live on in Thopter Sword decks, but nobody gets mana acceleration for free anymore.

I wouldn't mind if Arcum's Astrolabe was also axed from Modern as well as Pauper.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ShaneB posted:

I know the top8 alone is a bad metric, but the tournament has 7 pretty drat different decks represented.

I meant from a fun deck perspective

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Time posted:

I meant from a fun deck perspective

Oh sorry this is modern

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

ShaneB posted:

Oh sorry this is modern

i usually like modern regardless of what the format looks like, this one just doesnt have a deck i really like

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Time posted:

i usually like modern regardless of what the format looks like, this one just doesnt have a deck i really like
The following is not a fight-pick or a stealth burn: What sorta decks do you like? Did modern have them better represented at any point?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Time posted:

Oh by a mile.

mehall posted:

I *get* why, if WotC ban Opal, why they did it, but I disagree because the number of decks using it in a very fair way are huge.

Nobody plays Mox Opal in a fair way. That's the point - the card is ridiculously, unprintably busted if your deck can turn it on, but then it forced deckbuilding constraints so you can play your five-color Mox.

also gently caress Astrolabe

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hellsau posted:

Nobody plays Mox Opal in a fair way. That's the point - the card is ridiculously, unprintably busted if your deck can turn it on, but then it forced deckbuilding constraints so you can play your five-color Mox.
Even when you draw it in Affinity, half the time it's still underwhelming, and a quarter of the time it's 100% too little, too late. :v:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

There WILL be a MH2, I'd wager early 2021 at the latest. It was mentioned by name by suits at the last Hasbro earnings talks. It's not a great thing, but at least gives modern content creators something to work with.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ShaneB posted:

There WILL be a MH2, I'd wager early 2021 at the latest. It was mentioned by name by suits at the last Hasbro earnings talks. It's not a great thing, but at least gives modern content creators something to work with.
Cite sources please. This isn't trolling or disbelief, I'd like to know how you, an SA forums poster, are privvy to this. If it's publicly available and I just wasn't paying attention, that is fine too, I would just like a source. Thank you in advance.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tubgoat posted:

Cite sources please. This isn't trolling or disbelief, I'd like to know how you, an SA forums poster, are privvy to this. If it's publicly available and I just wasn't paying attention, that is fine too, I would just like a source. Thank you in advance.

https://investor.hasbro.com/static-files/9d1b0ce1-ad58-435e-8e44-e61c56ecc06e

quote:

Behind a rich release slate and continued strength in digital gaming, MAGIC: THE GATHERING delivered an outstanding quarter and first half of the year. The War of the Spark set was extremely well received by players across formats, driving robust quarterly growth in tabletop and digital. Player engagement expanded, with global increases in total unique players and new players. This in turn drove an incremental increase in Magic: The Gathering Arena games played, with approximately 400 million played in the quarter and 1.1 billion since the game entered open beta in September of last year.

In addition, the Modern Horizons set release during the second quarter exceeded expectations and contributed to higher tabletop revenues during the quarter. This release timing was earlier in 2019 versus last year when a similar release occurred in the fourth quarter.

corporate earnings calls are public info, they're not at all secret. the entire point is they're not. they are corporate execs basically trying to sell the stock market on what a good job they did.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Tabletop revenues are any sales attributed to tournament entries through either major events or events at LGSs or sealed product at the same as well as big-box stores?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Actually, I went 3-1 with Slivers at FNM this week, so this modern format is great.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ShadeofBlue posted:

Actually, I went 3-1 with Slivers at FNM this week, so this modern format is great.
I am unironically very happy for you. What were your matches?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You can tell Ammy is a big brain deck this guy has two engineering degrees!!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

You can tell Ammy is a big brain deck this guy has two engineering degrees!!
Unironic lol. Engineers are idiots, by and large, it turns out. I know you were probably being ironic, but for folks who are lurking, this needs to be said.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Tubgoat posted:

Unironic lol. Engineers are idiots, by and large, it turns out. I know you were probably being ironic, but for folks who are lurking, this needs to be said.

Thanks man

EDIT: What's the deal with the Skyshround Ranger instead of Sakura Tribe Scout? Just dodges removal that cares about names?

fadam fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 14, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Thanks man

I just loving hate their "This thing isn't even remotely math? This means math can solve it perfectly!" attitude and absolute certainty thereof.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

TheKingofSprings posted:

27 actually! :science:

I do think this is a problem for Modern, especially when the decks require such disparate hate to combat
So much death... what can men do against such reckless hate?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Yawgmoth posted:

So much death... what can men do against such reckless hate?
Play Urza, it seems.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
With my Mardu Pyromancer banned out, I'm going to play something like this at my next modern event;

https://youtu.be/XTpqKVB3UWE

Can't shake the feeling Martyr and especially Carrier Thrall aren't good enough but they definitely have used in the context. Also interested in running Asylum visitor, Falkenrath Condemned and big guys to cheat in like Blood Baron.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BizarroAzrael posted:

With my Mardu Pyromancer banned out, I'm going to play something like this at my next modern event;

https://youtu.be/XTpqKVB3UWE

Can't shake the feeling Martyr and especially Carrier Thrall aren't good enough but they definitely have used in the context. Also interested in running Asylum visitor, Falkenrath Condemned and big guys to cheat in like Blood Baron.

Goonspeed, but the last time I encountered Mardu Pyromancer, the loss of Faithless Looting didn't matter in the face of Stoneforge Mystic being unbanned.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Congrats on your day 2! What were your matchups? Any highlights?

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 14, 2019

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
When did this thread become tugboat every other post

Anyway I made day 2 at this scg for the first time going 7-2 yesterday on Jund. Then I went 1-5 today to miss prizes. Rad. Proud to have made a day 2 but this was probably my most disappointing day of competitive magic ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lawnie posted:

When did this thread become tugboat every other post

Anyway I made day 2 at this scg for the first time going 7-2 yesterday on Jund. Then I went 1-5 today to miss prizes. Rad. Proud to have made a day 2 but this was probably my most disappointing day of competitive magic ever.

Congrats on your day 2! What were your matchups? Any highlights?