Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arc Light posted:

NY Times investigative reporters tracked down evidence that the Russian Air Force has been intentionally bombing hospitals in Syria, complete with audio recordings from pilots and JTACs confirming coordinates:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/13/world/middleeast/russia-bombing-syrian-hospitals.html

So does the leadership bother to come up with a cover story or are the officers just all-aboard with slaughtering civilians? I know the US isn't all that resistant to crossing the line but Russians seem to peg the needle at not giving a single gently caress about human life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Was it just recently where the government allowed pork producers to self-police their inspections?

Yea I’m done eating pork.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fallom posted:

Russians seem to peg the needle at not giving a single gently caress about human life.

You should go ahead and accept the reality that the US doesn’t either.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Was it just recently where the government allowed pork producers to self-police their inspections?

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-pork-industry-hogs-plants-trump-regulations-20190403-story.html

ayup

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Like last month during this same infrastructure week

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

The US is still in a phase where it claims that hospital bombings are accidents so I'm gonna go ahead and think we're operating on different levels of intent here.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 13, 2019

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chichevache posted:

Parrots are assholes. The African Grey will be a fascist.

Fascist Parrot would be a decent band name.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

colachute posted:

You people are loving delusional if you think there's no difference between Russia committing numerous countless war crimes and supporting a genocidal regime who commits even more, and the U.S. Yes, we've accidentally bombed weddings, yes, we've accidentally bombed a hospital or two (one of which we had troops in heavy contact and the pilot or JTAC got the grid wrong). Whereas the Russians and Syrian Air Force intentionally bomb hospitals far from any active hostilities when their troops are nowhere near them. Yeah, we've hosed up, but the intent wasn't loving there.

Saying we're equally bad is loving insane.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 13, 2019

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Bored As gently caress posted:

You people are loving delusional if you think there's no difference between Russia committing numerous countless war crimes and supporting a genocidal regime who commits even more, and the U.S. Yes, we've accidentally bombed weddings, yes, we've accidentally bombed a hospital or two. But the intent wasn't loving there.

Saying we're equally bad is loving insane.

If I accidentally bomb your wedding you don’t give a poo poo about intent.

Who gives a poo poo about intent when you’re killing innocent people?

“Yeah we smoked like 30 innocent people but we aren’t like Russia because we smoked 30 people on accident. Won’t happen again, promise.”

When you *accidentily* kill civilians *over and over* then you don’t have an excuse. You’re a war criminal.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The intent does matter in the eyes of The Hague, though.

And even if it was exactly the same, you're comparing a single apple on the one hand (the U.S.'s) to an entire loving orchard (Russia and Syria). The scale of it happening intentionally by Russia and Syria is completely insane, and our massive fuckups are a drop in the bucket compared to that. Even setting aside intent, comparing them isn't at all fair because the difference in frequency and scale.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

You’re right. I need to put my threshold a little higher on “how many innocent people do we need to kill before we are no better than people who do it on purpose?”

More than 100? More than 1000? I dunno I’ll compare body counts later.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

The intent does matter in the eyes of The Hague, though.

And even if it was exactly the same, you're comparing a single apple on the one hand (the U.S.'s) to an entire loving orchard (Russia and Syria). The scale of it happening intentionally by Russia and Syria is completely insane, and our massive fuckups are a drop in the bucket compared to that. Even setting aside intent, comparing them isn't at all fair because the difference in frequency and scale.

If you don't really give a poo poo whether you make a "mistake" when planning things, resist to no end the idea that you might have made a "mistake" when someone calls you out, and more recently stop bothering to track whether the "mistakes" are even happening, I don't think you get to keep pointing to intent as a defense.

I wouldn't put up the US's body count of innocents over the last couple decades against anybody, by the way. It's six or seven figures easily, not a ton of players in that league.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The US, easily having the capability to not murder civilians continues deliberately performing military actions that not just kill the occasional bystander, but wholesale extended families.

Yes we aren’t running up the high scholar count, and yes we paint that as a good thing. In either case our capacity to be moral and just means that our accidental indiscretions are heinous and cruel.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
“Just following orders” I say, as a hellfire levels a crowded tent. Was it a tent of insurgents or a wedding? Not my business.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

M_Gargantua posted:

“Just following orders” I say, as a hellfire levels a crowded tent. Was it a tent of insurgents or a wedding? Not my business.

You killed 13 people, including two children.

But don’t worry Russia killed way more people last month. On purpose.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
This is a really weird argument.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

You killed 13 people, including two children.

But don’t worry Russia killed way more people last month. On purpose.

Yes cole I believe intent is a key part of my estimation of the attitudes of the people at the working level, and there seems to be a clear difference in unit culture between the US and Russia. The callousness seems to be more omnipresent, even considering my low opinion of some of the people I’ve served with

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fallom posted:

Yes cole I believe intent is a key part of my estimation of the attitudes of the people at the working level, and there seems to be a clear difference in unit culture between the US and Russia. The callousness seems to be more omnipresent, even considering my low opinion of some of the people I’ve served with

Its 2019. Even Bernie Sanders is pretty much a nazi.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Chichevache posted:

Its 2019. Even Bernie Sanders is pretty much a nazi.

By some arguments, maybe. Except we have real neo-nazis to compare against so that’s the stupidest straw man argument you could have posted. Maybe he’s a terrible man corrupted by years of politics, but at least he probably won’t shoot someone in their own home

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Welp, time to pull the plug.

I asked the admins to delete GIP. I think we had a good run.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

McNally posted:

Mashallah

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fallom posted:

And that’s why it’s okay that it happens.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McNally posted:

gently caress he’s not kidding

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886332&perpage=40

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McNally posted:

Good.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
RIP GIP

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

colachute posted:

And that’s why it’s okay that it happens.

Why do you keep doing this? Do you genuinely believe I’m trying to argue that a life lost by negligence is better than a life lost by intent? Because I don’t think I’m arguing that, I think I’m commenting on differences in military culture and wondering how it gets to the point that the entire chain of command down to the working level knowingly and intentionally does these things.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Fallom posted:

Why do you keep doing this? Do you genuinely believe I’m trying to argue that a life lost by negligence is better than a life lost by intent? Because I don’t think I’m arguing that, I think I’m commenting on differences in military culture and wondering how it gets to the point that the entire chain of command down to the working level knowingly and intentionally does these things.

That’s what I’m saying. I’m saying that allowing intent to be used to justify killing innocent civilians is why these things get done intentionally.

The military is the only organization where you can whoospie-daisey your way out of any type of culpability for killing innocent people.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

By some arguments, maybe. Except we have real neo-nazis to compare against so that’s the stupidest straw man argument you could have posted. Maybe he’s a terrible man corrupted by years of politics, but at least he probably won’t shoot someone in their own home

And this came from the "good cop" in his department

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Jesus Christ if you chucklefucks are going to take an obvious joke literally and attack the guy for making it maybe I should pull the loving plug just so I don't have to deal with you insufferable shits anymore.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I think Russia's level of concern for civilian casualties was made clear when somebody tried to do a terrorism and Moscow killed all their hostages for them.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Jesus Christ if you chucklefucks are going to take an obvious joke literally and attack the guy for making it maybe I should pull the loving plug just so I don't have to deal with you insufferable shits anymore.

lol just quit being mod

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
what is dead may never die

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just put the dog thread somewhere safe before it all goes down in flames.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lol just quit being mod

What, and let you fuckers win? I'd rather have a stroke.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
post the discord and your twitters its been a pleasure

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

New modding tactic- roll a 20 sider. That number post on the page is now up for moderation. Flip a coin. Heads- ok. Tails- 6 hour.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

o7

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

F

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
jesus gently caress, you guys

alternately

jesus, gently caress you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

McNally posted:

What, and let you fuckers win? I'd rather have a stroke.

please don't make me read cspam McNally, that's cruel and unusual punishment