Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Adept Nightingale posted:

Like everything to do with this game, Garriott has no interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think Garriot is mostly interested in weird (sex) parties and space?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

garriott seems more like the type of dude that would legit just rather play video games than do any sex

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

So did every Garriot game after Ultima flop? I mean even Ultima games were flopping towards the end there.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Garriot was the kind of coder who'd vanish into his office for a month, ignore calls, and emerge with a fully formed game-- which was fine when that was how lots of games were developed, less so after the Apple II stopped being the target market.

Nobody told him that, though.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Social Animal posted:

So did every Garriot game after Ultima flop? I mean even Ultima games were flopping towards the end there.

Tabula Rasa

quote:

Richard Garriott sued NCsoft for $24 million for damages relative to his termination from the parent company NCsoft. Garriott's allegation states that NC Soft terminated his employment, then fraudulently reported his termination as willful resignation in order to preserve the right to terminate Garriot's stock options unless he exercised them himself within 90 days of termination, forcing Garriott into a decision to purchase stock with which a loss was incurred worth dozens of millions in profit for Garriott. Additionally, the news of the termination was issued while Garriott was confined to quarantine from a space flight, which was originally intended to be a publicity move to further promote the game and increase revenue. 

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bieeanshee posted:

Garriot was the kind of coder who'd vanish into his office for a month, ignore calls, and emerge with a fully formed game-- which was fine when that was how lots of games were developed, less so after the Apple II stopped being the target market.

Yeah basically this. In the eighties, games were made by one guy locking himself in a room for three months. LB did this and the games were great. In the nineties, games were made by a small team; Garriot tried leading teams and didn't do so well. Nowadays games are written by big teams, which apparently he has zero ability to wrangle.

A dude posted:

Tabula Rasa, from what I heard, was decent but not great. Lineage is okay if you're into the Korean grind-like-its-your-job thing. City of Heroes was the best MMO the history of the universe, although LB didn't have any hands-on involvement.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ironically, today it is again possible to make a successful game all on your own - look at Stardew Valley. People like Garriot and Roberts don't want to go to that trouble themselves anymore, though.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That's Starr Long.

Garriott is loving off to the Arctic and envisioning the gamification of life.

(That and his passion for anything Ultima-related burned out well before Ascension.)

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 13, 2019

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I thought he was more into space than arctic? What is he doing up there?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I thought he was more into space than arctic? What is he doing up there?

Pretty sure he wants to one up the other rich guys.

Rich guy: "I've been on vacation on every continent, and 194 countries!"

Richard: "I've been on vacation on every continent, 195 countries, AND SPACE!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ironically, today it is again possible to make a successful game all on your own - look at Stardew Valley. People like Garriot and Roberts don't want to go to that trouble themselves anymore, though.

Stardew Valley took several years to make, though, not 3 months. It's a level of discipline almost nobody has, let alone segway man.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Six AM posted:

That lum dude loving sucks and has always sucked

the thing with Lum the Mad is that he didn't always suck, that's the worst of it.

Lum isn't a developer, or a designer, or an artist, or even a customer support rep. he's a journalist who made his name by asking the hard questions. Lum turned an extremely fine critique towards the minutiae of a brand-new industry that attracted giant piles of idiots claiming they would build perfection in a virtual world.

you would be able to dig your own dungeons, train your own dragons, get pregnant to roll new characters, engage in siege warfare, master hundreds of craft skills, have sex, lead armies, fly solo, create your own spells, build your own castles, own your own towns, master your own destiny - play your game, your way, in your world, as the master of all you surveyed.

Lum started the trend of pointing and laughing at the morons over-promising and under-delivering; he rightfully mocked Dawn and Red Dragon Software and all the other idiocy that ran rampant in this industry at its heyday when everyone wanted a piece of the pie.

He also heavily criticized existing properties.

Lum gave a poo poo, a whole big pile of shits, about making MMOs something great. He basically ran a fan site that became the single source for all discussion about UO - because of his passion for improving the industry and not letting Origin / Garriott off the hook for any decisions they made.

Lum was not just a critic; he was the arbiter by which MMOs were measured.

For him to turn all of his credibility in to this mess is... not a good look.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thursday Next posted:

This was before anyone really knew how to make money off that kind of internet credibility. He has to eat too.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

The author of the loving SOTA book wasn't even given a copy of his own book lmao

I just had to type that out to make sure it was real

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This was before anyone really knew how to make money off that kind of internet credibility. He has to eat too.

He can work at McDonald’s. His ethics are worth his family to starve to score internet points with anonymous forum idiots.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Isn't he just, like, a programmer on this game? What's with the hostility?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Node posted:

The author of the loving SOTA book wasn't even given a copy of his own book lmao

I just had to type that out to make sure it was real

And then he was banned from Shroud of the Avatar. :cripes:

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I tried googling how much Garriot is worth and mostly all I see is he paid 30 million to go to space. So the guy is probably worth 100M+ if he has 30 million to toss away like that. Owns a castle, he probably just wants the old fame he had back in the 80s and early 90s. But he's old now and doesn't get it. Not sure if it's all about money with this guy or if he's just out of touch like Will Wright and spore.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DropsySufferer posted:

I tried googling how much Garriot is worth and mostly all I see is he paid 30 million to go to space. So the guy is probably worth 100M+ if he has 30 million to toss away like that. Owns a castle, he probably just wants the old fame he had back in the 80s and early 90s. But he's old now and doesn't get it. Not sure if it's all about money with this guy or if he's just out of touch like Will Wright and spore.

I don’t know how much he is worth but supposedly NCSoft paid a huge chunk of that space fee for publicity.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had heard that his space travel publicity stunt for Tabula Rasa, had left him broke.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I said come in! posted:

I had heard that his space travel publicity stunt for Tabula Rasa, had left him broke.

Yeah, but afterwards he sued NCsoft for a shitload.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
RIP in piss, SCAM. :qq:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Already planning for next year:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

His family takes most of summer off to go to France, so schedule it around that, you plebs!

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
If I go, can I toss the mayor's underwear into the communal stone soup pot?

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Thursday Next posted:

Hey man, credibility alone doesn't pay your light bill

I did enjoy making fun of Lum the Mad when he strolled in here yapping about Richie Rich shooting uzis at home invading villains, but I challenge anyone who would turn down a job offer by Lord British to cast the first stone.

Ok that was a figure of speech y'all put the stones down, jeez

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I must confess, pre-SotA I probably would've Lum'd myself to Garriot.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hell, same

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Absolutely. Garriot is one of the few designers who had name recognition from that early time of PC video games. Off the top of my head would be Lord British, Peter Molyneux, Roberta Williams, Will Wright, John Carmack, John Romero, and Sid Meier. I think anyone involved in modern gaming would follow these guys, assuming they were working in good faith and not trying to grift whales for cryptocurrency.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe

Canuckistan posted:

Absolutely. Garriot is one of the few designers who had name recognition from that early time of PC video games. Off the top of my head would be Lord British, Peter Molyneux, Roberta Williams, Will Wright, John Carmack, John Romero, and Sid Meier. I think anyone involved in modern gaming would follow these guys, assuming they were working in good faith and not trying to grift whales for cryptocurrency.

Peter Molyneux preceded Garriot in driving his goodwill and credibility deep into the Stygian Abyss. His credibility is gone at this point.

John 'Make You His Bitch' Romero shot and lost his wad with Daikatana even further back.

Roberta Williams achieved fame by adding pretty pictures to Adventure games, and notoriety by making Adventure games insanely hostile to the player.

Warren Spector is pretty cool though.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

Of these six though I'd say only two have proper current experience or have not presided over one (or more) fuckups in the last decade. One is Carmack, but I'd only trust him with tech, not game design. The other is Sid Meier.

Peter Molyneux is a grifter extraordinaire. This thread is dedicated to LB. The other three have been basically out of the industry for a decade or more now making backing them as leads risky.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Then there are the Coles and the Two Guys from Andromeda. I think the former pair are working on another Hero U game; I really, really hope it works out for them.

I backed out of backing SOTA because I had no faith in people from that era having any solid idea of how to develop in a modern environment.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Lonjon posted:

Peter Molyneux preceded Garriot in driving his goodwill and credibility deep into the Stygian Abyss. His credibility is gone at this point.

John 'Make You His Bitch' Romero shot and lost his wad with Daikatana even further back.

Roberta Williams achieved fame by adding pretty pictures to Adventure games, and notoriety by making Adventure games insanely hostile to the player.

Warren Spector is pretty cool though.

warren spector recently made underworld ascendant that had painful launch.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/692840/Underworld_Ascendant/
apparently publisher jumped in and is actually salvaging the mess?

but out of origin rockstar developers warren still has the best track record.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Bieeanshee posted:

Then there are the Coles and the Two Guys from Andromeda. I think the former pair are working on another Hero U game; I really, really hope it works out for them.

I backed out of backing SOTA because I had no faith in people from that era having any solid idea of how to develop in a modern environment.

Didn't the andromeda guys try to kickstart another space quest? Did that ever materialize?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mike12345 posted:

Didn't the andromeda guys try to kickstart another space quest? Did that ever materialize?

6 years late, but in the final beta phases!

... According to the last update 4 months ago.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Dark Off posted:

warren spector recently made underworld ascendant that had painful launch.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/692840/Underworld_Ascendant/
apparently publisher jumped in and is actually salvaging the mess?

but out of origin rockstar developers warren still has the best track record.

Did this actually get fixed? It got absolutely razed to the ground at launch and I forgot all about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Also for whatever it’s worth but Romero’s image has been rehabbed somewhat. It’s clear, watching YouTube videos and reading Master of Doom, that he was largely responsible for why Doom / Doom 2 were such great games to play.

We’ll see how his new game turns out to be. I’m honestly cautiously optimistic.