Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

big money changing hands for donated blood is also hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^ ^ ^ Yeah, my sister is a bigtime platelette donor. :(

FCKGW posted:

take my whole body and grind it to paste, idgaf. I’d rather there be a 1% chance of my liver saving a life than letting it rot in a box.
The wealthy aren't 'life.' I know it seems like it at first, if you don't get a good look at 'em, but they're actually quite the opposite. Extending the viability of the wealthy in fact harms actual life.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

love too "donate" my plasma for fifty bucks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

you can donate your liver without dying, it has three lobes and is able to regenerate back to full size if you just take one.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

you can donate your liver without dying, it has three lobes and is able to regenerate back to full size if you just take one.
Rick Sanchez thinks his liver is the hardest working in the universe. It's actually mine. I do not believe I can spare a centimetre, nor can any CSPAM poster.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgakov posted:

but what if it means a killer cop (so, a cop lol) escapes investigations because the victims are getting sliced up for profit??

:negative:

This was happening either way.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

but what if it means a killer cop (so, a cop lol) escapes investigations because the victims are getting sliced up for profit??

:negative:

Tubgoat posted:

^ ^ ^ Yeah, my sister is a bigtime platelette donor. :(

The wealthy aren't 'life.' I know it seems like it at first, if you don't get a good look at 'em, but they're actually quite the opposite. Extending the viability of the wealthy in fact harms actual life.

"But what if I give that homeless person $5 and he buy booze instead of food?"

I don't care. I chose to give it away and hope it will be used for good and if it's not, not my problem any more I'm in a pine box baby.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FCKGW posted:

take my whole body and grind it to paste, idgaf. I’d rather there be a 1% chance of my liver saving a life than letting it rot in a box.

The picture becomes fuzzier when you realize that helping the rich profit causes indirect harm likely of a greater scale. A rich person becoming richer is not a neutral thing and indirectly causes great death and suffering. If donating my body had a 5% chance of saving a life and a 95% chance of only letting a corporation accrue $100k in profits, it isn't clear that's a situation with a net positive likely outcome.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ytlaya posted:

The picture becomes fuzzier when you realize that helping the rich profit causes indirect harm likely of a greater scale. A rich person becoming richer is not a neutral thing and indirectly causes great death and suffering. If donating my body had a 5% chance of saving a life and a 95% chance of only letting a corporation accrue $100k in profits, it isn't clear that's a situation with a net positive likely outcome.

This post, plus the fact that the homeless would be infinitely better served by an endless supply of drugs than a wealthy person another single second of life on this planet.
Also, gently caress you if you choose burial instead of cremation.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I specified that my corpse be used to "somehow menace the rich" but did not specify anything about the organs

on the one hand, my friends may choose to replace my organs with fireworks or a stereo to play spooky ghost noises, do I want to limit their creativity?

on the other, I cannot proof my body against being tampered with by capital to absolve my murderer and empower the rich if I am not strict, hmmmm

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Epic High Five posted:

I specified that my corpse be used to "somehow menace the rich" but did not specify anything about the organs

on the one hand, my friends may choose to replace my organs with fireworks or a stereo to play spooky ghost noises, do I want to limit their creativity?

on the other, I cannot proof my body against being tampered with by capital to absolve my murderer and empower the rich if I am not strict, hmmmm
Have your corpse left to rot for a couple days in the sun in a sealed bag with some swamp water, launch it over the wall of a gated community.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Xaris posted:

the problem is, everyone knew and knows what FB does with ad metrics is wrong, they all knew video ads were garbage. There was no real deception because everyone knew it--they just don't care. You know drat loving well that the marketing headhonchos at Pfiezer paying millions for video ads all knew they were getting inflated poo poo, but it's also good on their record as well. Its a lavish job at all levels.

so internet advertising is just another parasite, like the FIRE sectors, on the productive economy?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Atrocious Joe posted:

so internet advertising is just another parasite, like the FIRE sectors, on the productive economy?

capitalism in inherently parasitic

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

capitalism in inherently parasitic
But even within a somehow-idealised, regulated capitalism, marketing departments are still especially parasitic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I suddenly feel a lot better about no longer volunteering my body for organ donation.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Xaris posted:

i dont really understand the advantages of using ground human skin for plumping lips

it really does not seem like that would do anything and just necrotic tissue

you say slow necrosis, company hears maintenance

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

im going to do a lot of drugs so the rich guy who gets my skin and fat gets sick and dies

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shear Modulus posted:

im going to do a lot of drugs so the rich guy who gets my skin and fat gets sick and dies

this is also my plan

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Chinese research chemicals, but actually time release toxins triggered by wealth

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
*rich thinking extremely hard* will going all-in in war-on-drugs-2 to protect skin, fat, and organs from for-profit damage + locking people up for-profit prisons, or turning drugs into a legal big pharma operation, turn a higher profit?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Sounds like something regulators and our elected officials should tackle, not really on me to opt-out of a system that could be doing good.

I got a brother-in-law on a waiting list for kidneys and having someone opt-out because there's a chance your organs might not go to someone like him, therefore guaranteeing that they won't go to him, is pretty depressing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

someone post that trolley problem image but with "dying man" on one track and "boomer's stiff dick" on another

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

comedyblissoption posted:

In the rush to harvest body parts, death investigations have been upended

quote:

a half-teaspoon of ground-up human skin is priced at $434.

if anyone in biotech reads these forums PM me, i have a decent grinder and plenty of dick cheese

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

FCKGW posted:

someone post that trolley problem image but with "dying man" on one track and "boomer's stiff dick" on another
Push the fat man

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Except it's not the donor deciding, it's the wealthy, and they will let the needy die for their comfort/appearance in every single iteration.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Sounds like something regulators and our elected officials should tackle, not really on me to opt-out of a system that could be doing good.

I got a brother-in-law on a waiting list for kidneys and having someone opt-out because there's a chance your organs might not go to someone like him, therefore guaranteeing that they won't go to him, is pretty depressing

If they tackle it, then one can always opt back in.

I mean, I get where you're coming from and it's a pretty reasonable opinion, but I think it's not a clear morally black/white situation and that there are downsides to tacitly helping allow the current situation to continue through continuing to provide plenty of donors to be used unethically in this manner.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Shear Modulus posted:

love too "donate" my plasma for fifty bucks

daaaang you're getting a better deal than I was

$30 twice a week was good walking around money but they made 10x that selling it on

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

comedyblissoption posted:

looking forward to gettin merk'ed by the cops, getting my body ground into paste to make a rich dude's boner bigger, and then the coroner declaring undetermined cause of death

Why elaborately cover up something that nobody is ever punished for?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that guy we took the skin off of was no angel

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
Lol if you give a poo poo about your dumb organs and precious carefully cultivated dick cheese

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i will never let jeffery epstein take my dick cheese

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

punished milkman posted:

Lol if you give a poo poo about your dumb organs and precious carefully cultivated dick cheese
It's more about spending millions of dollars in advertising campaigns to convince people that donating their organs is an act of altruism that will help the least fortunate while in reality it seems that's statistically the opposite case most of the time, AND it's profiting bad actors monetarily while covering up evidence of crimes. That's the infuriating part.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/world/2019-07-16-wto-appeals-body-likely-to-collapse-temporarily-at-least/

quote:

US President Donald Trump has blocked new appointments to the seven-member appellate body, accusing judges of overstepping their mandates and ignoring instructions.

With no sign that the block will be lifted anytime soon, the Geneva-based trade tribunal could be reduced to only one judge by December 11, which means it would not be able to hear new cases.

"The organisation is in deep crisis. We have to recognise this," EU trade commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom told a conference at France's central bank.

"If the appellate body collapses, which probably it will in December — at least temporarily — we will have no enforcement. And if you have no rules everybody can do whatever they want."

Less than two months from the collapse of the World Trade Organization.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Trump doing a good thing?! :thunk:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
destroying your body with drugs, unprotected sex and riding a superbike now counts for class warfare

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Teal posted:

destroying your body with drugs, unprotected sex and riding a superbike now counts for class warfare

Tell us more about the horrors of people having sex.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lambert posted:

its how you get children

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lambert posted:

I actually mean that unironically

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Apparently, Donny did his usual thing by announcing they're just about to close on a trade deal with China on Friday. China says that they want more talks before they're ready to sign.

But hey, it did pump the market - keeps working again and again.

https://twitter.com/jendeben/status/1183682658355875840

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Teal posted:

I actually mean that unironically
I feel like so did Lambert, potentially?