Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

black rod in the back with so much soul
attacks, wrangles MPs with a big black pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

lol

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1183695131918192641

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

britain is so cool

why didn't blair advertise this poo poo when he tried to build 'cool britannia'?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Missing some servo-skulls to complete the picture.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm trying to find a picture of someone wearing the top hat they used to wear in parliament when they wanted to make a point of order.

quote:

We recommend a new procedure for raising points of order during a Division. At present, we have the opera hat, and, although some Members may feel that they look particularly fetching in it, it makes the House of Commons look ridiculous when someone wearing the hat is trying to raise a point of order from a seated position while everyone else is milling around and going to vote.

Mr. Desmond Swayne (New Forest, West): The point is that everyone is milling around. If we must get rid of the opera hat, there must be some means by which a Member can indicate in the melee that he or she wishes to make a point of order.

Mrs. Taylor: We dealt with that point in the report by suggesting that Members, having indicated to the Clerk or the Chair that they wish to make a point of order, should be able to do so. We suggest that a Member should do so from a position on the second Bench, as close as possible to the Chair and the Clerks' Table so that he or she can be heard by the Chair and by the Official Report without obstructing the movement of Members to the Lobby. I understand that the hon. Gentleman wants to be sure

4 Jun 1998 : Column 555

that Members will still be able, in rare circumstances, to make points of order, but we have offered an alternative that might be used.
Mr. Bennett: I accept that it is difficult to make a point of order during a Division. When we put the hat on, most of the rest of the House is amused by our appearance. However, although having a special place to stand is perfectly all right for the person making the point of order, it often happens that once a Member has made a point claiming that something is absolutely outrageous, another Member wants to rebut it quickly. If one is standing in the far corner, it will not be easy, after hearing a point of order, to rush to the second Bench to make a point.

Mrs. Taylor: It is not for other Members to rebut points of order, but for the Speaker.

If we adopt the new procedure, what should happen to the top hats that have been in the Chamber until now? I understand that we have two hats here normally. Perhaps one could be displayed in our archive near the old annunciator downstairs. I am sure that many Members would like the other as a souvenir, but I do not think it best to do that with it. Perhaps we should find a way to raise money for charity by disposing of the hat. Perhaps Madam Speaker could give some thought to that.

Mr. Dennis Skinner (Bolsover): We could put it in the Dome.

Mrs. Taylor: My hon. Friend makes an intriguing suggestion, and I will convey it to my hon. Friend the Minister without Portfolio. Wherever the hat goes, we will make sure that any money raised is used for a very good purpose.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmhansrd/vo980604/debtext/80604-19.htm

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
its collapsable too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH0wvkZmGKQ&t=1040s

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

pounded in the dome by parliaments opera hat, a tingler of division by baron chuck of tingledon

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Please be standing for the Cap of Maintenance

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What is a cap after all but a soft mace for your head.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1183673365359411200?s=19

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
All shall wear the cap!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Oh so that's where the magic hat in Harry Potter comes from

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubL0vxc3dBo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
fellas wyd if your girl's best friend come into your room with nothing but the cap of maintenance

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I put on my wig and magic cape

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Avirosb posted:

Congratulations, you are now Arthur, and your job is to rescue Britannia from Bojo La Fey.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

alexander bojoris le fayffel brexit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
can we still call merlin

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/bbcpolitics/status/1183695636857622528?s=21

ITS HAPPENING

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i put on my pole and brexit hat

e:

Avirosb posted:

fb

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

with my pole and magic heeeeel-met!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

with my pole and magic heeeeel-met!

Pole and magic helmet?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Shinjobi posted:

can we still call merlin

Yes, but the call will be answered by the Dominic Cummings character from the Brexit movie. Cumberbatch-Cummings.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

uh how does this guy expect britain to negotiate without having picked up the lanterns of brexit

poty has issued a correction as of 17:26 on Oct 14, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

it's kinda weird that I can't seem to think of some piece of media that dealt with brexit anxieties in any way, like even b movie action flicks now feature drone warfare but brexit doesn't get even a dumb remark?
all I can think of is that brexit netflix movie with cucumberbatch guy

the Amazon series Carnival Row is about a fantasy Victorian London stand-in dominated by insane xenophobia and racism and ruled by cynical morons. Their politicians are a bit better than real London's at least, they are merely incestuous instead of pedophiles.

There was one scene where a group of Kobolds is accidentally deported to a country that was completely obliterated in some undefined catastrophe after the police mixed up their paperwork.

Other than that the show is real mediocre and the plot is stupid so I can't recommend it even if it does seem appropriate for the times

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
'tis a silly country

https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/1178989208335196160

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1183698823450943488

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/1183718235411058688

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im clive cheeseman, esq

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

alnilam posted:

Pole and magic helmet?

*silently mouths "thank you"*

My pole and magic HEL-MET!!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Magic helmet :rolleyes:

ty manifisto

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

love to hold 1.25% of a hereditary position

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I used to laugh at the ceremonial guards around the world who do weird stuff, like how India and Pakistan have a dance contest at the border when they change shifts. But now I realize they're all just doing their take on the weird poo poo the British made them do when they were colonized.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Brexit, or How to LARP a Country

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I used to laugh at the ceremonial guards around the world who do weird stuff, like how India and Pakistan have a dance contest at the border when they change shifts. But now I realize they're all just doing their take on the weird poo poo the British made them do when they were colonized.

All the countries molested by the British empire should get together and do group therapy or something

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

All the countries molested by the British empire should get together and do group therapy or something

they do that but it always turns into a cricket match for some reason

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

GABA ghoul posted:

Get together and level post-Brexit Britain.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GABA ghoul posted:

Yeah that was the Cold War. It didn't end well.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Is this Brexit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL9iyYIb_e8

I like Brexit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Squalid posted:

the Amazon series Carnival Row is about a fantasy Victorian London stand-in dominated by insane xenophobia and racism and ruled by cynical morons. Their politicians are a bit better than real London's at least, they are merely incestuous instead of pedophiles.

There was one scene where a group of Kobolds is accidentally deported to a country that was completely obliterated in some undefined catastrophe after the police mixed up their paperwork.

Other than that the show is real mediocre and the plot is stupid so I can't recommend it even if it does seem appropriate for the times

I watched one episode and it was boring so I didn't watch more also amazon produced two perfectly decent shows with The Boys and Good Omens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Captain Splendid posted:

I never thought the day would come where I'd say Iggy Pop was my favourite DJ but, honestly, his show is just wall-to-wall awsome music.

Iggy Pop dropped the f-bomb live at 11 in the morning today. If that doesn’t just make you proud to pay the licence fee what would