Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tater_salad posted:

I was asking if anyone else has a recommendation. "Buller" Is a quote from the movie ferris bullers day off.

"Bueller".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Ah, gotcha : )

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are the ads that pop up in games targeted via an algorithm like web browsing? Because I will start downloading random poo poo to trip it up and get me away from idle games.

Also the face that Homescapes is still a match 3 and not a Grow style game about solving problems by using tools in the correct order is disappointing

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Got me intrigued. What are some Grow style games?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ape Agitator posted:

Got me intrigued. What are some Grow style games?

Pretty much just that old flash Grow series ported to Android I think ):

But Homescapes loves to have ads where there's a backyard full of things broken/on fire/whatever the gently caress and you use items in the right order to fix it all. But nah it's still actually just a match 3 game

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Thanks! Didn't know about them but grabbed the $1 pack of them because they look like fun

Edit: any good "shipwrecked on an island, grab a stick and some coconuts and make a nuclear rector" games? How is Don't Starve and DS Shipwrecked? Their icons look pretty tiny for a phone game. Maybe something more streamlined than DS?

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 11, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ape Agitator posted:

Thanks! Didn't know about them but grabbed the $1 pack of them because they look like fun

Edit: any good "shipwrecked on an island, grab a stick and some coconuts and make a nuclear rector" games? How is Don't Starve and DS Shipwrecked? Their icons look pretty tiny for a phone game. Maybe something more streamlined than DS?

As a heads up that pack has banner ads on it even after paying $1. I don't have any issue with it because I played the poo poo out of those games in highschool and have no problem giving the guy money finally. But I know that's a deal breaker for some

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Len posted:

As a heads up that pack has banner ads on it even after paying $1. I don't have any issue with it because I played the poo poo out of those games in highschool and have no problem giving the guy money finally. But I know that's a deal breaker for some

Yeah, I checked the reviews and saw so I knew going in. The convenience of one package to try out games someone enjoyed is with some banner ads.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just got a bluetooth controller for my tablet and i need a way to increase the deadzone slightly, as this brand-new controller has slight drift going to the upper-left. a quick search for an app or a way to change deadzones in android itself, so does anyone got a recommendation?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I was looking for a topic but didn't see one (and we don't have a generic gacha game thread) but do any other goons play Honkai Impact 3rd? I checked it out after seeing a dozen ads for it on other games a few months ago and have just been playing it daily since. It's gacha garbo so there's that - but it's got some pretty fancy visuals for a mobile game and the actiony gameplay makes it stand out from the usual turn-based action bar lot; plus, unlike the vast majority of games like this, there isn't any real PVP. There are a few competitive game modes where the whales have clear advantages; but there isn't forced combative PVP where you get stomped into oblivion because you didn't roll the latest big boy shiny toy.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Nuebot posted:

So I was looking for a topic but didn't see one (and we don't have a generic gacha game thread) but do any other goons play Honkai Impact 3rd? I checked it out after seeing a dozen ads for it on other games a few months ago and have just been playing it daily since. It's gacha garbo so there's that - but it's got some pretty fancy visuals for a mobile game and the actiony gameplay makes it stand out from the usual turn-based action bar lot; plus, unlike the vast majority of games like this, there isn't any real PVP. There are a few competitive game modes where the whales have clear advantages; but there isn't forced combative PVP where you get stomped into oblivion because you didn't roll the latest big boy shiny toy.

Some people on the Gran Blue Fantasy SA discord play it.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I gotta say. The Room: Old Sins is my favorite in the series so far. The haunted dollhouse gimmick is alot of fun.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

I gotta say. The Room: Old Sins is my favorite in the series so far. The haunted dollhouse gimmick is alot of fun.

I like The Room 3 better but Old Sins is a close second. I really want to play more games like The Room series but every one I've tried has been underwhelming and doesn't quite scratch that itch. But The Room is just so good that I keep replaying them all after enough time has passed that I forget most of the puzzle solutions.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Largepotato posted:

Some people on the Gran Blue Fantasy SA discord play it.

Good to know, I'll check there. I had been secretly hoping there were enough to get its own thread or something, but alas. Another game's discord will do.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Has anyone spent any time with Gate 6? It looks sorta cool but its gacha.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hey all I am currently in hospital and bored. Probably still here a week or two. Any good free rpgs or story games?

I'd ask for cheap ones but card is effed and I'm not sorting that out till I am out and can walk again.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

NLJP posted:

Hey all I am currently in hospital and bored. Probably still here a week or two. Any good free rpgs or story games?

I'd ask for cheap ones but card is effed and I'm not sorting that out till I am out and can walk again.

You can pay for android apps with PayPal.

But to answer your question, Shattered Pixel Dungeon will eat a lot of hours.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

NLJP posted:

I've been playing Rogue Adventure. It's a slay the spire clone that has enough personality that it's not just a carbon copy. Lots classes and cards have factions that scale with themselves (like 2 damage per Beastman in your deck).

I also like to link Cats who Stare at Ghosts once in a while. It's a slow start but there are a ton of unfolding mechanics as your cat bops ghosts and explores the house.

Neither game is going to give you any kind of story but the gameplay is engaging. I've got nothing to contribute in the story side of games.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
On the story side, Florence is short and sweet.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I've been playing Rogue Adventure. It's a slay the spire clone that has enough personality that it's not just a carbon copy. Lots classes and cards have factions that scale with themselves (like 2 damage per Beastman in your deck).

I also like to link Cats who Stare at Ghosts once in a while. It's a slow start but there are a ton of unfolding mechanics as your cat bops ghosts and explores the house.

Neither game is going to give you any kind of story but the gameplay is engaging. I've got nothing to contribute in the story side of games.

cant stop playing the cat game

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

On the story side, Florence is short and sweet.

Florence hit me right in the gut. Such a great game.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I thought Florence was superficial and cloying at best, so YMMV.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Montalvo posted:

I thought Florence was superficial and cloying at best, so YMMV.

I can understand that, but did you notice that there's some moments where your assumptions about who is performing the actions you're doing might strongly colour your reading of the scene/story? There's at least something to discuss there which takes it beyond a lot of computer game narratives already. Anyway, YMMV as you say.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Any chance of getting a spot open on greater goon in AFK arena? Getting bored of my pubbie clan. Lemondrop_SA ingame

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
AFK arena question: I’ve just gotten a yellow Shemira. Should I start leveling her now? My setup looks like this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yDfgnxo

Right now I have:
Yellow hogan/saveas
Rare+ Lucius and Belinda
Rare Tasi

It seems like I should try and work Shemira in since I’ll need her eventually, but I don’t know who to replace with her. Maybe Tasi? But her Cc seems generally helpful? Just unsure.

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes

tildes posted:

AFK arena question: I’ve just gotten a yellow Shemira. Should I start leveling her now? My setup looks like this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/yDfgnxo

Right now I have:
Yellow hogan/saveas
Rare+ Lucius and Belinda
Rare Tasi

It seems like I should try and work Shemira in since I’ll need her eventually, but I don’t know who to replace with her. Maybe Tasi? But her Cc seems generally helpful? Just unsure.

I would just sit on your Shemira until about 160-ish, then she becomes a straight swap for Saveas

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
161 to be exact, it's an insane boost to her power and lets her completely replace Saveas as your primary carry. Make sure you're buying her from the lab store so you can get her ranked up ASAP.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
I've been stuck on 160 for ages, Shemira already regularly outperforms Saveas. That 161 unlock looks annoyingly tasty though..

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I've been playing a lot of Legendary: Game of Heroes lately. It's a dumb grindy match 3 but I'm weirdly having a lot of fun with it? Who loving knows.

Anyway, is there a goon guild for it that I should be aware of? My current guild is sadly pretty inactive.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

valuum posted:

I've been stuck on 160 for ages, Shemira already regularly outperforms Saveas. That 161 unlock looks annoyingly tasty though..

Saveas with a full gear outfit of upgraded gear is your best/easiest to procure carry to 160. Once I got Shemira to 161 and started getting Mythic gear, I jumped like 3 chapters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks thread for reminding me that The Room exists. I played all of 1 and some of 2, so I picked up 3 with my survey bux and have been having a great time. I forgot how great they make it feel to push and pull all the bits and bobs trying to figure out what to do. This one feels very Myst-like too in that you're moving around rooms and finding puzzles inside each room. I'm really digging this one so far!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Osmosisch posted:

I can understand that, but did you notice that there's some moments where your assumptions about who is performing the actions you're doing might strongly colour your reading of the scene/story? There's at least something to discuss there which takes it beyond a lot of computer game narratives already. Anyway, YMMV as you say.

You're right. My post was a bit too blunt -- the game does have great art and music. I just think the way in which relationship elements were gameified was a bit on the nose.

Anyway -- I'm going to cancel my Play Pass subscription. I barely touched any of the games I wanted to play and the selection is pretty poo poo compared to Apple Arcade, which I can now run on my MacBook.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Montalvo posted:

Anyway -- I'm going to cancel my Play Pass subscription. I barely touched any of the games I wanted to play and the selection is pretty poo poo compared to Apple Arcade, which I can now run on my MacBook.

I had a fandor sub for a year that was 2/mo and I totally forgot I had it, the entire year. I'll most likely cancel when it jumps up 5 a month next sept unless it becomes this vast collection in 12 months..But for the price they charge now it's...fine. It'll get me to try a ton of things I wouldn't have for better or worse.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thanks for the afk arena tips! Still a while from 161 so sounds like it’s basically keep doing what I’ve been doing for now.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Any chance of getting a spot open on greater goon in AFK arena? Getting bored of my pubbie clan. Lemondrop_SA ingame

Don't really have any idle members right now, longest idle is about 2 days currently, so if they remain offline for a bit longer we can open a spot. Otherwise we should get 5 more slots on next guild level, but that may be a couple weeks out.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I just 100% the konami picross so I am craving something new. Recently been thinking about a civilization building game that is single player. Maybe casual? Not really looking for huge combat focus.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

AlexJade posted:

I just 100% the konami picross so I am craving something new. Recently been thinking about a civilization building game that is single player. Maybe casual? Not really looking for huge combat focus.

Try The Battle Of Polytopia, it's free with dlc tribes. It also works offline and has multiplayer mode as well. Probably my favourite android game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.midjiwan.polytopia

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just left the AFK Arena guild so there should be a spot there now.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Defenistrator posted:

Try The Battle Of Polytopia, it's free with dlc tribes. It also works offline and has multiplayer mode as well. Probably my favourite android game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.midjiwan.polytopia

Just downloaded this and it seems pretty fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
That Rogue Adventure game is pretty fun but I'm finding it quite easy, compared to Slay the Spire. I haven't unlocked everything yet though so I'll probably spend a bit more time with it.