Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Sam is gonna go out and celebrate with a big kiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1183595131775131654?s=19

I dunno guys dvoa seems like a foolproof stat to me all of a sudden

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Spoeank posted:

From a neutral 3rd party perspective your defense looks really really good. The patriots have defeated hot garbage and super poo poo while y'all have actually beat some good teams.

Although starting to think the Rams are going to go down the Falcons route of post superbowl seasons.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Weird how the supposed worst division ever has the 2 best teams in the AFC in it, and a 3rd smoked the Cowboys today.

Guess we know where teams are truly forged in fire.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Kalli posted:

Weird how the supposed worst division ever has the 2 best teams in the AFC in it, and a 3rd smoked the Cowboys today.

You know the Pats are the greatest champions of all time, I know it, and in their heart of hearts everyone here knows it

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kalli posted:

Do you _really_ think the bills are the 2nd best team in the AFC. Be honest.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

adaz posted:

Absolutely not, but at the same time the Bills are weirdly good as far as we know and I don't know what to think about them.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

adaz posted:

I was looking up beatpaths! so I could own you with truly advanced analytics, but I see it stopped updating in 2011 and I was immediately struck with how old I am,

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spoeank posted:

I wish the 91 Eagles had an offense :sigh:

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kalli posted:

I was looking up beatpaths! so I could own you with truly advanced analytics, but I see it stopped updating in 2011 and I was immediately struck with how old I am,

Well advanced metrics (DVOA) has them at 19th which feels a bit low.

dont google beatpaths is my pro tip

Grittybeard posted:

Absolutely not, but at the same time the Bills are weirdly good as far as we know and I don't know what to think about them.

They have a good defense and a.. work in progress? offense. They might be the bears of the AFC. But their schedule is probably good enough to get them to 11 wins because lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Bills may have a better defense then the Patriots, and a downright lovely offense.

They can basically be the Bears from last season, but it's extremely funny and cool that they're currently 2nd in the AFC and their only loss is to the Patriots. And yeah, they're probably going to be like 8-3 at some point this year.

The actual playoff standings apparently:

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Texans
6. Raiders @ 3. Chiefs
5. Bills @ 4. Ravens

NFC
1. 49ers
2. Saints
6. Vikings @ 3. Packers
5. Seahawks @ 4. Cowboys

Wanna see that Bills - Ravens game.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 14, 2019

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

DVOA has them at 3rd but I can see the argument - unlike the Patriots the Bills D usually has to carry games by its lonesome.

Jsut realized that Bills / Cowboys turkey day game is looking a lot better now than it did at the start of the season.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

adaz posted:

DVOA has them at 3rd but I can see the argument - unlike the Patriots the Bills D usually has to carry games by its lonesome.

Jsut realized that Bills / Cowboys turkey day game is looking a lot better now than it did at the start of the season.

I'm just adjusting with the eye test. Like the Patriots defense is comically stomping teams, but they're playing just plain bad offenses. Like yeah, they're making those offenses look nightmarishly bad, but the Bills are also putting up real good performances against the likes of the Patriots offense and the Jets with Darnold and a Titans O that is alive when facing the Falcons.

I'm just saying we should put some respect on the Bills' D.

Also lol, FO's playoff odds calculator puts the Patriots at over 40% to win the Superbowl after today's games and the Dolphins at 75% to get the #1 pick: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

Kalli fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 14, 2019

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The Bills are probably the 5th/6th best team in the AFC, but if the offense gets going they’ll rise

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

adaz posted:

At this point they seem just as likely to do anything of relevance in January/February as every other non-first best team in the conference, so yeah sure put whatever number you want beside them. 19-0 ain't getting Eli'd this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-YfuVQmX8

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The Pats have mostly kicked around the NFL's soup cans to this point. I guess that probably has more to do with KC slipping up than anything.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

New England is going to lose to one or two of the Ravens/Texans/Chiefs

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

This is important because the collective chip on the patriots’ shoulder will be fueled by nobody believing in a 15-1 team

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
the dolphins are gonna have to get past the bengals for the number one pick

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

a patagonian cavy posted:

the dolphins are gonna have to get past the bengals for the number one pick

The Dolphins were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Washington, they should have no trouble losing to the Bengals.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Do NFL teams actively tank like they do in the NBA?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

It's harder in the NFL, since careers are shorter and there's so much less game tape to generate.

Maybe the ownership/GM/coaching would rather lose, but there are a lot of soon to be free agents on those teams who know the cameras are watching.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They used not, but the browns introduced the concept to the NFL and showed it doesnt work anywhere as well as the NBA but teams are all doing it now for some reason

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sweet thursday posted:

You know the Pats are the greatest champions of all time, I know it, and in their heart of hearts everyone here knows it

Wrong, it’s the 46-56 Browns.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This was a magical series for the Bucs

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/14/nfl-week-6-devlin-hodges-fmia-peter-king/?cid=rotoworld

quote:

Tampa could never have had a worse sequence of 10 offensive snaps—could they?—than in the final two minutes of the first half Sunday: strip-sack and fumble recovery; strip-sack and lost fumble; 15-yard completion to Evans; incompletion; Evans drops bomb from Winston; incompletion; false start; false start; false start; punt. Is there an adjective worse than brutal? If so, that’s what that 10-play stretch was.

This led to the Panthers attempting a free kick field goal to end the half.

oh and in a surprise to no one King is very much on the "talking to war criminals is cool and good" bandwagon

quote:

Finally, good for Ellen DeGeneres for talking to all people, not just those she knows she’ll agree with. We have gotten to a point where the simple act of DeGeneres sitting at a football game with former President Bush and smiling and having civil discourse is a mortal sin. That’s where we are. People who disagree should talk, not threaten and dog-cuss on social media. And of course I understand the past of Bush, and how DeGeneres should be angry about some of his past proclamations and decisions. But that doesn’t mean they can’t associate and even be casual friends. I was astonished to hear and read the debate about whether two people 180 degrees apart politically and socially should converse. OF COURSE THEY SHOULD! What are we teaching our children when we see someone with a different view on something important and we say, “Honey, we don’t talk to that person. That person disagrees with us, so when you see that person, don’t talk or be friendly in any way. You will never talk to that person.”

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 14, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Now this is either a mistaken URL paste or a joke about the Bucs that goes over even my head

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Alaois posted:

Now this is either a mistaken URL paste or a joke about the Bucs that goes over even my head

oh yeah oops. don't post in lecture

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Keenan13Allen/status/1183752686383984640?s=19

Seems bad.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
With the WSH win, it is no longer possible for two teams to go 0-16 in the same year. MIA plays CIN in Week 16. gently caress.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I love that teams really have to try for tanking cause so many teams want to do it lol. Normal rear end league.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

seiferguy posted:

I love that teams really have to try for tanking cause so many teams want to do it lol. Normal rear end league.

Probably time to do away with draft order imo and just make it a pure lottery. Maybe do some minor weights for the worst teams but actively encourage teams to be bad is problematic for a competive sports league. Also, as the browns are currently proving, high draft order + picks != success!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

adaz posted:

Probably time to do away with draft order imo and just make it a pure lottery. Maybe do some minor weights for the worst teams but actively encourage teams to be bad is problematic for a competive sports league. Also, as the browns are currently proving, high draft order + picks != success!

The best proposal I’ve seen for draft ordering is to give teams points towards the higher picks for wins after they’ve been mathematically eliminated. So if you go 0-10 and can’t make the playoffs by week 11, winning your next six and finishing strong gives you the best possible draft position.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

adaz posted:

Imagine the last two decades with New England randomly getting top picks.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
So many more first round Rutgers WR and CB busts

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Imagine watching NFL officiating then saying the NFL should have a draft lottery.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Have teams draft the refs.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

adaz posted:

Not gonna lie, I think this problem will be self resolving when the dolphins, Browns, and Washington continue to be miserable bad.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Imagine the last two decades with New England randomly getting top picks.

Would it really matter? Teams like the Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, & Steelers consistently pick towards the very bottom and are good year over year. Other teams pick near the top and are bad year over year. The science, such as it is, seems to indicate its better to have more draft picks rather than higher draft picks. The exception to this is QBs and the desperate need for them would lead to more hilarious mitchell trubisky esque trades.

Zoran posted:

The best proposal I’ve seen for draft ordering is to give teams points towards the higher picks for wins after they’ve been mathematically eliminated. So if you go 0-10 and can’t make the playoffs by week 11, winning your next six and finishing strong gives you the best possible draft position.

Eh, that just discourages end season tanking? I want to get rid of it completely. The point of the draft was supposedy to help balance competitive advantage among teams. Unfortunately we're seeing that for some teams that just doesn't matter (i.e. browns) and for others its encouraging them to just be really bad intentionally which further excaberates the problem.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I'd say no because it's too hard to come out the other end with a decent amount of good players. There's no minor league to stash guys in; and with individual player usage being a smaller portion of the whole compared to the nba, and needing more players to fill out a team you can't just grab the nfl's version of lebron or zion and suddenly expect to be good. Which is why everyone's saying that if miami wins the tua sweepstakes they're still going to be hosed until probably the end of his rookie deal.

Maybe teams suck on purpose by not doing every single move to compete in the short-term, but I think that's different from tanking. Like, would it matter to miami if they signed... michael crabtree? dj swearinger? It's not really useful to make those short-term bets when you absolutely know it's not going to result in a meaningful push for the team, same reason why they don't fire head coaches immediately after 0-3 starts or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

With the WSH win, it is no longer possible for two teams to go 0-16 in the same year. MIA plays CIN in Week 16. gently caress.

0-15-1 for both teams in the most egregious display of match-fixing ever to be seen in the NFL. Give the tanking conspiracy nerds the off-season talking point they really want.