Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Just realized the real reason they're mad about closed door hearings is that they can't publicly grandstand for their paymasters and sow confusion by screaming about Uranium One/Obama/Not focusing on real problems/Benghazi/Steele Dossier/Fusion GPS

Yeah open hearings let them try to create a competing narrative for the Fox news crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Open testimony from cooperating witnesses is really counter-productive at this point since all it does is give GOP ghouls a platform to discredit them or spout more lies from. There's no point in the pony show behind closed doors so I would guess a lot more information is actually exchanged.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Paradoxish posted:

I really want to believe that Gaetz was just standing in a corner of the room really hoping that nobody would notice him.

I can't stop giggling at the idea of him in a corner hiding behind a tall potted plant that he brought in.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xander77 posted:

I'd say that's definitely the case though.

"Free speech" as written into the constitution was very much about the whole liberal "marketplace of ideas" that the left loves to mock.

Is slavery a good thing or not? I dunno, let's hear from both sides of the issue and let the white males decide. That sounds like an exaggeration, but it's not.

Pretend I've summarized a huge chunk of On Liberty if you want a basic rundown of the logic involved in every idea, no matter how vile, being given a fair hearing.

(Btw - written just before the Civil War. Slavery was not the paramount concern for a British philosopher at the time, but the most prominent example of public debate he could think of, with evolution theory being introduced at the same time)

Retroactively, a fairly commonly cited example of "vile ideology actually gains in power when given room for debate" is Nazism, obviously (hence the Paradox of tolerance, before it was mostly stolen by the right to use against the mooslim hordes).

I can't really accurately chart how these principles were abandoned: probably some combination of actually leftist ideas being popularized in the US again and disdain for right-wing propaganda / radicalization.

But right now, there's a definite popular sentiment of "Nazis don't deserve a platform to spread their lies, every public or private organization should ban radical right-wing speech". Which... fair enough on its own. But the left always though of the right (and the center-right liberals) as basically fascist and fascist book-lickers anyway, and hasn't been shy about stating as much.

The combination of the two - nazis don't get to speak and everyone to the left of me is a nazi - is worrying.

I get that that's a right-wing talking point, but gently caress it - they have a lot of talking points, they're bound to get somewhere close to the truth in their claims of persecution at least once in a while.

Source your quotes, but in case you are posting this in good faith...

"Freedom of speech" has always been about the government not silencing speech, and the concept that it is actually "freedom from criticism" is an intentional change that the far right is trying to push. Someone saying something then getting bundled off to prison is against both the letter and spirit of the idea of free speech. However, one person saying something and then immediately getting dogpile by people who think that idea is stupid is free speech working as intended. The original person is not being blocked from saying anything, but they ARE being forced to deal with the repercussions of what they are saying. "Well that is just my opinion" has always been a bullshit cop out, because your opinions define who you are as a person, and people are allowed to judge you for who you are.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

FizFashizzle posted:

Do you think Trump can avoid that final straw for the next year?

Maybe. Trump isn't the one propping it up in all honesty. His economic team is doing all the plunging, and trying to keep things moving. He will likely do something that causes markets to go down, but the plunging team will just try and artificially offset the damage.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I can't stop giggling at the idea of him in a corner hiding behind a tall potted plant that he brought in.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The real weird thing is how the entire house GOP is basically Nunes, Gaetz, McCarthy, Jordan, and Meadows, even though it's less and less since he's kinda stepping back.

It's just so weird how they're the only ones willing to stick their necks out.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

The real weird thing is how the entire house GOP is basically Nunes, Gaetz, McCarthy, Jordan, and Meadows, even though it's less and less since he's kinda stepping back.

It's just so weird how they're the only ones willing to stick their necks out.

Note how they're all incredibly stupid, even by GOP standards.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
it is extremely concerning that some on the left have taken the position that some speech should not be permitted, he posted, on the last of the discussion forums standing on the internet, which only remains due to the fact that the libertarian dipshit who founded it embraced aggressive moderation for a larf.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

For those who don't listen to Citations Needed they recently did an episode on "free speech".

https://soundcloud.com/citationsneeded/episode-88-the-mythical-bygone-glory-days-of-free-speech

As always it's a great listen.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

That video absolutely will lead to murdered journalists and I'm surprised there's a sizable chunk of people in here dismissing it as unserious.

That Trump himself is amplifying that video... oh boy.

shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/laraseligman/status/1183771877682098177

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

are you equating Kathy Griffin pulling a dumb stunt with the very real (and already carried out multiple times) threat of fascist violence in the US

gently caress off

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lmao, got it, Trump Dylan Roofing it up is the same as that.

While he hands out and sells shirts with "Rope, Tree, Journalist some assembly required"

And openly advocates for violence against his detractors.

gently caress off.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
The President's proxies show a video of him gruesomely murdering his enemies at the same time that in real life he's hiring paramilitaries as his private security and tweeting about civil war. Eh, whatever, that's Fark stuff.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

He's also started saying he'll just stay president forever, why not!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

You're absolutely right, impeach Kathy Griffin

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Super-Id posted:

gently caress your where’s Hunter bullshit you fat gently caress, no one loving cares about Hunter Biden. Where’s the god damned president? Who the gently caress are you? Why are you in the white house.

Yeah I almost remember when the United States had a leader instead of a troll fighting his battles on twitter. I still get this sinking feeling now too that Trump isn't an aberration but a sign of where we are headed in the post social media hellscape. I feel like the way people sign their lives and souls over to anything that seems convenient and trendy and builds enough momentum on social media it's anyone's for the taking that is capable of exploiting this apparent loophole in the human psyche for their own personal gain. A lot of bad actor types and large corporations were among the first to notice it, but it's very apparent now to those willing to see it.

I read this article on CNN about BTS and it's ARMY fanbase and at it's most extreme doesn't sound all that far removed from how the Chud's seem to organize and think as a group. It's all about showing unyielding devotion to a sort of symbol, attacking anybody that dares criticize or go against said symbol, blindingly following and cheering for any statement or act that the symbol commits, spending hours refreshing and retweeting the same videos or retweeting their tweets to jack their view counts and social media "trending" and all to the incredibly easy exploitation of their record label Big Hit Entertainment who can just kind of sit back, watch and subtly direct it to shut out any real competition and keep a steady stream of profits coming in.

It just doesn't seem that far removed from the sort of thing the Trump campaign and now Administration has been able to harness for it's own personal gain. Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro too. It's less about what Peterson has to say which is often borderline incoherent quasi-philosophical ramblings and practical life advice I'm not even sure he himself believes in, but appears to somehow vaguely take the shape of what I call the "saying the things people want to hear" phenomenon or at the very least having that aspect attributed to them in spite of their rough incoherence. It's sometimes not even about the quality or incisiveness of what you have to say anymore but how your able to harness and manipulate a certain kind of people using social media and a particular flash point instance, which for Peterson was that debate he had before his second book came out going viral. Trump it's hard to say when he really started building momentum fast, but it seemed to happen around the start of the RNC primaries.

Trump's recent rallies have that aspect to them too. I tried to explain it to a friend today, but it's like he's in the like post viral phase of his cult of personality where his base does all the legwork for him and you could almost describe it as a self-perpetuating circle jerk. He just has to show up, rally off his greatest hits and say things loudly and his base just goes loving nuts. He doesn't even have to project charisma or coherent policy of the kind that he used to even to get his cheers, the purpose of showing up to the Trump rally is understood implicitly among his base to be to blindly cheer at specific intervals, he's just there to be the catalyst and symbol of this end goal and seems vaguely aware of it, or at least Steven Miller and his inner circle is. Steve Bannon absolutely was.

Obviously the end result of this is a presidency and base behind it without any specific policy aim or purpose beyond going to rallies, cheering and jeering along with Trump in a 2 minutes hate kind of thing and signal boosting him on social media as much as possible. That's it.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 14, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CommieGIR posted:

While he hands out and sells shirts with "Rope, Tree, Journalist some assembly required"

gently caress off.

I don't think he sells those, but they've definitely been at his rallies

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

sit on my Facebook posted:

You're absolutely right, impeach Kathy Griffin

We kinda did. Maybe she's picked up a new job lately, I don't care enough to Google it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress off.

I'd also like to point out that despite the, er, quality of her work, Kathy Griffin is an artist doing An Art in this photo and not the President of the United States doing An Fascist Propaganda; whereas the president is not an artist and *is* doing a propaganda.

It's important to understand and deconstruct the balance of power that exists among subjects of art and propaganda. Imagine that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lmao that Kathy Griffin apologized

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember when they claimed Barron saw the pictures and was hysterical because he thought his father had been decapitated?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when they claimed Barron saw the pictures and was hysterical because he thought his father had been decapitated?

Remember when Ken Jennings got harassed for making fun of how fake that story was?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/abfrancois/status/1183774488820887552

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you think this story doesn't end with the GOP constructing death camps and gas chambers you're fooling yourself.

https://twitter.com/abfrancois/status/1183774488820887552

EDIT: :argh:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1183779243588763649

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The one really confusing thing is the way the left trashes the "two sides to every story" type journalism while seemingly pining for the Fairness Doctrine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

lmao that Kathy Griffin apologized

it owns so hard that people have yet to figure out after that that you can, and should, never apologize to these freaks. She loving apologized and got all weepy about it and they still made her lose her gay little new years party (I mean that clinically not insultingly, the CNN new years party with her and Cooper was the most mainstream example of sloppy queens and their friends in one place and I felt v. seen by it)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

greasy

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kale posted:

... cheering and jeering along with Trump in a 2 minutes hate kind of thing and signal boosting him on social media as much as possible. That's it.

Born in a Mansion, plenty of slaves. Tweeting and Yeetin is all he craves.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

His Anointed Holy Emperor, Donald the First of His Name, Praise Jesus!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

OAquinas posted:

His Anointed Holy Emperor, Donald the First of His Name, Praise Jesus!

Why would Donald praise his gardener?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
*Unreal Announcer Voice* HOLY poo poo

https://twitter.com/EricColumbus/status/1183777204813160448

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god i hate religious reactionaries. brutish loving animals. all they know how to do is break and hurt. too bad trump is cool with them since they support him and vote for him and than he helps the ones in other countries hurt more people.

Between this and that monstrous Barr speech that somebody posted yesterday, I’m reminded of all the times SA, and DND specifically, hosted secularism/atheism threads that pretty much immediately devolved into everyone dogpiling on the 3-4 pro-secularization people who stuck around, and making Dick Dorkins jokes and bad-faith connections to proto-incels, redditors, racists, and misogynists.

Just like every other Obama-era punch to the left, it was predicated on the arrogant belief that liberalism had won and that the GOP was in decline, and that seriously going after the state/local-scale orgs that were furiously setting the stage for an all-out culture war was unnecessary/counterproductive at best and bigoted at worst. We, like benign conquerors, needed to make sure not to rock the boat or shut out our friends of faith.

Horseshit. We’re going to lose Roe because of this kind of thinking. They’ve taken every inch of goodwill and principled benefit-of-the-doubt that magnanimous, anti-boat rocking liberals have given them and carved out miles and miles of entrenchments. Around the world we’ve seen fascist after fascist rise to power on the promise of stomping out the queers and the secularists and those who would oppose traditional values, and be embraced by the US Government for it.

Aggressive, confrontational secularization- like the kind that groups like the Satanic Temple preach is critical and necessary, and it’s going to be more important as climate change forces the world into chaos and cooperation.

KillHour posted:

It's all the same sophomoric mentality SA had back when we were all in highschool/college and thought shock humor and photoshoping Darfur orphans was the pinnacle of comedy. Except we all woke up at some point and realized we're goddamn adults who have to do adult things and care about the world and they just kept hiding behind irony and lovely memes.

Somebody still hasn’t been to GBS

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Between this and that monstrous Barr speech that somebody posted yesterday, I’m reminded of all the times SA, and DND specifically, hosted secularism/atheism threads that pretty much immediately devolved into everyone dogpiling on the 3-4 pro-secularization people who stuck around, and making Dick Dorkins jokes and bad-faith connections to proto-incels, redditors, racists, and misogynists.

Just like every other Obama-era punch to the left, it was predicated on the arrogant belief that liberalism had won and that the GOP was in decline, and that seriously going after the state/local-scale orgs that were furiously setting the stage for an all-out culture war was unnecessary/counterproductive at best and bigoted at worst. We, like benign conquerors, needed to make sure not to rock the boat or shut out our friends of faith.

Horseshit. We’re going to lose Roe because of this kind of thinking. They’ve taken every inch of goodwill and principled benefit-of-the-doubt that magnanimous, anti-boat rocking liberals have given them and carved out miles and miles of entrenchments. Around the world we’ve seen fascist after fascist rise to power on the promise of stomping out the queers and the secularists and those who would oppose traditional values, and be embraced by the US Government for it.

Aggressive, confrontational secularization- like the kind that groups like the Satanic Temple preach is critical and necessary, and it’s going to be more important as climate change forces the world into chaos and cooperation.

your thoughts on why we must preemptively nuke Iran, on grounds you're scared of them, are not particularly useful to a left movement, Mr. Harris

e. seriously though the "aggressive secularization" people from the early 2000s all hitched their carts to the Iraq war in a way that left them hopelessly incapable of wielding any kind of moral authority. you are living in the aftermath of that brutal, hilarious demonstration that secularism is just as willing to cheerlead religious violence as a snake-handler like Pompeo, it'll just drop a few more liberal cultural signifiers in the speech about why the blood of the infidel must wash the world clean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DandyLion posted:

Why would Donald praise his gardener?

WHY SHOULD I PRAISE YOU?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why are right wingers back?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The one really confusing thing is the way the left trashes the "two sides to every story" type journalism while seemingly pining for the Fairness Doctrine.

The fairness doctrine owns the chuds that’s the only reason. Libs own the scene at CNN and MSNBC, they still report like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Nonsense posted:

Why are right wingers back?

Ever since Nancy's impeachment investigation announcement they've been posting in the thread more, it's weird.