Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This is also the ultimate wag the dog, US troops aren’t involved, just foreigners, and he was smart to use them as pawns. Turkey is now a pariah and the Kurds have signed their own death warrant joining with Assad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

and very protective

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
what the gently caress is going on in Alabama?

https://twitter.com/JohnArchibald/status/1183786143701258243

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Why are right wingers back?

aect is a fun one because he's gone from "charlottesville was a monstrosity that has changed the game forever, and proves the rot at the heart of conservatism" to "actually antifa are the REAL fascists" based exclusively on people doing posts he didn't like.

culture war is a hell of a drug

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The one really confusing thing is the way the left trashes the "two sides to every story" type journalism while seemingly pining for the Fairness Doctrine.

nobody itt is pining for the fairness doctrine you putz

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

People who have been in charge for 50 years don't like anyone showing up to criticize them in any way

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Greasy" and "Very Protective" are also Don Jr. and Eric's secret service codenames

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

On Oct. 5, a group of Alabama Democratic reformers, backed by Sen. Doug Jones and state House Minority Leader Anthony Daniels, called an executive committee meeting to pass new bylaws — bylaws mandated by the DNC. Those new rules require the party to make room for several constituencies on the committee — LGBT, Hispanics, Native Americans, Asian-Americans, people with disabilities and youth.

Until now the state party has defined diversity only in terms of black and white.

Also, the DNC ordered the Alabama Party to hold elections for new officers by Nov. 2.

But Saturday, Alabama Democratic Party Chairwoman Nancy Worley was determined to undo or stop all those things, thumbing her nose at the national party and all but daring it to bring the hammer down on Alabama.

Alabama having to be dragged kicking and screaming into modern times isn't exactly a surprise.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

General rule of thumb for Democratic Party leadership: they're fuckups.
Also: They're useless
More specifically: For southern/midwestern states: They're republican plants and/or actively working against democratic candidates making any traction.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when they claimed Barron saw the pictures and was hysterical because he thought his father had been decapitated?

lol yeah that rules

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ascii genitals posted:

lol yeah that rules

This is the first time I even remember seeing the picture and I'm having trouble thinking how anyone could look at what appears to be a block of mahogany with steak sauce and corn silk on it and think it's an actual severed head :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/lindseyhilsum/status/1183727018904621056?s=20

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/mitchellreports/status/1183789645223616513

See, it was a non-corrupt quid-pro-quo !

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's weird that our minority leader is C3P0 and our senator is Saru

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wow steps 2 and 3 of the narcissist's prayer all in one go.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Word salad.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1183769989410689024

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1183777935620214786

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1183781492771708928

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

your thoughts on why we must preemptively nuke Iran, on grounds you're scared of them, are not particularly useful to a left movement, Mr. Harris

e. seriously though the "aggressive secularization" people from the early 2000s all hitched their carts to the Iraq war in a way that left them hopelessly incapable of wielding any kind of moral authority. you are living in the aftermath of that brutal, hilarious demonstration that secularism is just as willing to cheerlead religious violence as a snake-handler like Pompeo, it'll just drop a few more liberal cultural signifiers in the speech about why the blood of the infidel must wash the world clean.

What the gently caress does this even mean? This is drivel. Is this because Chris Hitchens said dumb poo poo about Islam, and clearly Chris Hitchens was the drat pope of atheists dontchaknow? You’re an idiot.

I’m sure as poo poo not arguing in favor of neoliberalism, nor the idea (to quote John Roderick) that our interventionism in the Middle East was going to “turn Afghanistan into a Massachusetts”.

I’m thinking right here at home (and apparently in this thread). Atheists in 2019 still can’t say “I’m an atheist” in many liberal spaces without immediately hitching themselves to the baggage of intolerance, or making everybody uncomfortable, and that has hurt the progressive cause in very huge, very clear ways— like every “religious freedom” bill that comes up and does nothing but massively harm kids, queers, and women. I want less “religious freedom” in my country and a lot more “freedom from religion.”

If that somehow makes me like Kamala (:psyduck:) then lemme get my JD and start locking people up.

Edit: oh wait, I just realized you were comparing me to “race realist” Sam Harris. gently caress you.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 14, 2019

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

what the gently caress is going on in Alabama?

[url]https://twitter.com/JohnArchibald/status/1183786143701258243[url]

Democrats have been ignoring local politics for too long and now the power structure is filled with "moderate" idiots at best, and obstructionist plants at worst.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol just lol if this doesn't drive you over the edge of facebook deletion

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1183789521751724032

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
e: oops

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FizFashizzle posted:

The real weird thing is how the entire house GOP is basically Nunes, Gaetz, McCarthy, Jordan, and Meadows, even though it's less and less since he's kinda stepping back.

It's just so weird how they're the only ones willing to stick their necks out.

Rep. Crenshaw's given up on being the face of cool conservativism? He will be missed, I am sure.

Better doesn't equate to acceptable. I can't see this ending well!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

My utter disgust for evangelicals has grown so much due to this administration.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

Rep. Crenshaw's given up on being the face of cool conservativism? He will be missed, I am sure.

Crenshaw is too busy using elevators to hide from angry military veterans.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Edit: oh wait, I just realized you were comparing me to “race realist” Sam Harris. gently caress you.

it's YMB, your best bet is generally to report and move along

e: oh lol FOS already got to this post

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/impeachment-inquiry-10-14-2019/h_d17d7000d801575575597ad603c46d2c

As soon as I saw this headline I knew it had to be this gently caress. Like who else would it be but Gaetz? This guy really needs to be removed from his office already. He's not even remotely interested in acting out the role of a house rep and frankly not even a congressperson. Since the first day he sat in the chamber all he's literally done is act like a complete and utter shithead and blatant Trump stooge. I don't even know how he got loving elected since he seems to have zero interest in acting as a representative or even following any sort of rules of congress as the role lays out for a congress person. Must have been a really chuddy district.

Fake edit: Yeah Wiki article confirms it as the reddest district in Florida. That's how these people uninterested in governing or following the rules of congress keep getting elected.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 14, 2019

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Honestly it was really more of a quo pro quid and like there aren’t even any laws about that you know? So like no biggie

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My utter disgust for evangelicals has grown so much due to this administration.

As someone who has long been an activist against evangelicals my disgust for them has not changed over the past few years, because I've always known exactly who they were.

However, the moderate Christians who have sat on the sidelines and refused to raise their voices against the strain white supremacist Christianity perverting our political institutions..... those are the people who my contempt has grown tenfold for.

I understand now why Jesus said he would rather people be hot or cold, why he said he would spit the lukewarm out of his mouth. Lukewarm comfortable moderates are completely worthless to any society, the only thing they do is consume.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

skylined! posted:

lol just lol if this doesn't drive you over the edge of facebook deletion

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1183789521751724032

These loving tech bros are going to destroy the nation. They're giving racists and Nazis a platform and even worse legitimizing their voices. We're going to be having 'fair & balanced' right wing Nazi talking points shoved in our face every time we go to facebook.com and apps.

Privileged people reading this thread right now: Delete your loving Facebook (and all other social media).

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Super-Id posted:

Honestly it was really more of a quo pro quid and like there aren’t even any laws about that you know? So like no biggie

I mean, what exactly is corruption if not a state of mind? Aren't we all a little corrupt for even thinking it?

What I'm trying to say is no harm no fowl.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Local politics is a social club for old people too insufferable to be invited to anything else. Nothing ever gets done, because it's just 100% catty septuagenarian townies replaying high school popularity games over and over until they die, or accidentally get replaced by a bowtie-wearing Young Republican because everyone forgot to vote.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Local politics is a social club for old people too insufferable to be invited to anything else. Nothing ever gets done, because it's just 100% catty septuagenarian townies replaying high school popularity games over and over until they die, or accidentally get replaced by a bowtie-wearing Young Republican because everyone forgot to vote.

With the added bonus that instead of stealing underclassmen's lunch money they're now stealing everyone's lunch money.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Zuckerberg acting like the Fash won’t put his rear end against the wall with the rest of the Jews when he’s no longer useful.

As a Jewish person myself I literally can’t understand how any Jew would vote in step with the NAZIs, much less work directly with them.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Rabble posted:

Zuckerberg acting like the Fash won’t put his rear end against the wall with the rest of the Jews when he’s no longer useful.

As a Jewish person myself I literally can’t understand how any Jew would vote in step with the NAZIs, much less work directly with them.

He thinks his money will protect him. A lot of Jews made the same mistake last time.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Kale posted:

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/impeachment-inquiry-10-14-2019/h_d17d7000d801575575597ad603c46d2c

As soon as I saw this headline I knew it had to be this gently caress. Like who else would it be but Gaetz? This guy really needs to be removed from his office already. He's not even remotely interested in acting out the role of a house rep and frankly not even a congressperson. Since the first day he sat in the chamber all he's literally done is act like a complete and utter shithead and blatant Trump stooge. I don't even know how he got loving elected since he seems to have zero interest in acting as a representative or even following any sort of rules of congress as the role lays out for a congress person. Must have been a really chuddy district.

Fake edit: Yeah Wiki article confirms it as the reddest district in Florida. That's how these people uninterested in governing or following the rules of congress keep getting elected.

His dad was also a local politician from the area that helped him get off his DUI charge and reinstated his license earlier than legally allowed if you refuse a breathalyzer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rabble posted:

Wealth is a disease

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rabble posted:

Anyone that rich cares about money more than anything else.

Kale
May 14, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

These loving tech bros are going to destroy the nation. They're giving racists and Nazis a platform and even worse legitimizing their voices. We're going to be having 'fair & balanced' right wing Nazi talking points shoved in our face every time we go to facebook.com and apps.

Privileged people reading this thread right now: Delete your loving Facebook (and all other social media).

Every day I'm more and more thankful for the fact that I never really picked up Facebook, Twitter or any other form of social media. I just kind of figured early on the end result of centralizing communication on the internet and limiting the number of characters people could use to communicate a single message in couldn't really lead anywhere good a felt like a Newspeak like experiment of control language along with the platform for communication. It's taking a really long time for the general public to clue in on the fact that social media is well....not good for democracy and civilization in it's current state and that we'd be better off without it or at less centralized forms of communication that empower corporate entities and depower or even indoctrinate the user and individual.

It doesn't help that the mainstream media has what I refer to the "isn't this quaint" approach to highlighting the obvious downsides of social media. Like they'll write these stories where they take something that's obviously bad about social media and try to spin it in a more positive light. The loving talking heads that sit around on panels and jerk each other off about how something is trending on twitter and the again "well isn't that just peachy and quaint" approach to commenting on it. I mean god if it's trending on twitter in some capacity how could it possibly be bad....after all twitter trends are everything aren't they. :bang:

Thing is we really don't gently caress need as many have pointed out in this thread over the last day. There's plenty of less centralized corporate leaning forms of communication that empower the individual user and not just the platform host or whoever has the most followers. Lots of things start off kind of good and then are eventually perverted and go to poo poo and people switch up to something more desirable, I see no reason that social media should be any different other than the mainstream media seems determined to convince people it should somehow be cause they're shareholders are probably also heavily invested in twitter and facebook stock.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 14, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mod sassinator posted:

A bunch of people who disagree with Nazi bullshit delete Facebook --> Facebook's customer base becomes even more skewed towards people who like Nazi bullshit --> Facebook decides they have to stop propping up Nazi bullshit?

Like I'm not a Zuck fan and I don't use Facebook, but I don't think this strategy will really have the impact on Facebook some people are hoping for.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Rabble posted:

I mean it happened in Germany and Poland too. Anytime you give someone the choice that they can either surely be hosed over or supposedly saved, well, self interest usually kicks in. Even if they know it's going to be a lie in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

A bunch of people who disagree with Nazi bullshit delete Facebook --> Facebook's customer base becomes even more skewed towards people who like Nazi bullshit --> Facebook decides they have to stop propping up Nazi bullshit?

Like I'm not a Zuck fan and I don't use Facebook, but I don't think this strategy will really have the impact on Facebook some people are hoping for.

I think the logic is if the userbase shrinks it reflects badly on Facebook as a company...but I too question the efficacy.