Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why the gently caress have they not be removed before now?

Rick Perry is in charge of it. Rick loving Perry is in charge of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

joat mon posted:

In case you haven't met your RDA for WTF for today:

Very separate church and state

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Schiff kicked Gaetz out of the Fiona Hill deposition. Gaetz tried to crash it, Schiff kicked him out because he's not on any of the three committees holding it, Gaetz then whined to the parliamentarian who sided with Schiff.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Why the gently caress have they not be removed before now?

Remember how we got all upset during the Cuban missile crisis? Turkey is to the Soviet Union what the Caribbean is to us.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1183770520782888961?s=21

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
She the one with a pipe-dream cure-all medical startup built on a house of cards? I feel like there was a Netflix docu on her

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the author is a dumb enough that i genuinely was worried he can't function in life, but someone in another thread pointed out he lives in the same building as Holmes' parents, so i nominate him for some private tutoring with madame guillotine

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

the author is a dumb enough that i genuinely was worried he can't function in life, but someone in another thread pointed out he lives in the same building as Holmes' parents, so i nominate him for some private tutoring with madame guillotine

I mean people should be allowed to become visionaries, but they just shouldn't be allowed to collect investment money on it with overoptimistic promises. Although not all her tests were physically possible, some of them could have been 10-20 years away. It's also that her Entrepreneurship 101 pitches with fast development timelines and skyrocketing revenue projections somehow fooled very established investors (who granted were no within their area of expertise).

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah that Holmes documentary just put on display the lies upon lies upon lies and the blind urgency of people who should've known better to believe it.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Holmes is confirmed as one of the major con artists of the early 21st century.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Scamming billionaires out of their money is cool and good but yeah much better to go the Moviepass route and

1) spread the loot around as widely as possible and
2) get away with it

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 14, 2019

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TLDR but what I did read was some thirsty capitalist type doing the thirsty capitalist equivalent of sliding into her DMs by way of an editorial.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EBB posted:

Holmes is confirmed as one of the major con artists of the early 21st century.

You say this in a world where Donald Trump got elected president.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the rich have so much loving money that they'll throw it at barely vetted scams

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
People who absolutely did know better but threw that better judgment out of the window on the slim chance of scoring some Steve Jobs cosplayer strange.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

that loving theranos article posted:

Among many other people, just Google my name and “Michael Milken” or “Frank Quattrone," two individuals whom I view as heroic capitalists, 

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

bengy81
May 8, 2010
The weird thing about Theranos to me is that for people to fully buy into it, they have to look at the existing market and decide that none of the major major diagnostic companies are trying to do what she wants to do. Which is a loving crazy thought to have. Like most major tests can already be run on as little as 5 uL of blood and results can be back in an hour or less. It's crazy to think that the market is just gonna be happy and not try to innovate further.
Or people putting money into it dont get why nurses do full draws when tests are ordered.

Its willful ignorance at best.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The myth of the disruptor is strong. It plays on the smart people galaxy, the common “I’m an engineer / doctor, I’m very good at my field of expertise, and that smartness applies everywhere.”

Also works on rich people.

Basically, this XKCD comic, except someone goes “sure, give me money!” instead of “gently caress off!”

The con artists will then reinforce that by going “oh we’re too disruptive for them!” Or “first they say you’re crazy, then they fight you, then you win.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfaJZAdfNE

(It’s at 1:40)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, don’t underestimate just how many old (and nearly all white) men can be duped into believing a charismatic and striking young woman. Especially one who adopts the look of other visionaries.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Also, don’t underestimate just how many old (and nearly all white) men can be duped into believing a charismatic and striking young woman. Especially one who adopts the look of other visionaries.

Case in point: Tulsi Gabbard

Also since Turkey has literally invaded Syria when will we see a counterattack? Will be interesting to see how whether Russia favors their naval base or the S-400 sale, or if the S-400 was even delivered

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 14, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I remember the 1st big slap that Theranos got from USDA along with some known HIPAA violations I think. Their response was the general "move fast break things / we're being disruptive these regulations are too stifling" kind of approach.

This was a year or two before the wheels came off but I remember reading the initial news of the complaint and Theranos's PR statement on it and thinking "oh man they are going to be so so hammered if they don't unfuck themselves ASAP". I deal with HIPPA, biosafety, HIPAA, IRB / IBC poo poo for a living and they don't gently caress around once you get on their radar.

E: It was obvious that if there were any professionals on the biology side over there that they were so far down the corporate ladder that they never had a chance to actually make a difference in anything. Anyone trained in that area who was part of management would have known that you can't blow off that poo poo like they did.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I pretty much distrust anyone who says their big utopian solution is right around the corner.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston
HBO made the documentary, The Inventor, there was also a book by the guy who first wrote an article calling out Theranos on their bullshit, Bad Blood. They're both pretty good, also the book is being made in to a movie by the same director who made Vice and The Big Short. I really liked those films and I think the Theranos story would work really well with his directing style.

Edit:

That Works posted:

E: It was obvious that if there were any professionals on the biology side over there that they were so far down the corporate ladder that they never had a chance to actually make a difference in anything. Anyone trained in that area who was part of management would have known that you can't blow off that poo poo like they did.

There was one guy fairly high up that was hand picked early on, very respected in his field and I think a professor. He did just that, tried to make them realise the mistakes they were making and to just confess the tech didn't actually work and just start over.

He was bullied, forced out and had his name dragged through the mud to such an extent that he ended up killing himself :(

Churchill fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 14, 2019

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Bad Blood audiobook is excellent commute listening :drac:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Churchill posted:

HBO made the documentary, The Inventor, there was also a book by the guy who first wrote an article calling out Theranos on their bullshit, Bad Blood. They're both pretty good, also the book is being made in to a movie by the same director who made Vice and The Big Short. I really liked those films and I think the Theranos story would work really well with his directing style.

Edit:

There was one guy fairly high up that was hand picked early on, very respected in his field and I think a professor. He did just that, tried to make them realise the mistakes they were making and to just confess the tech didn't actually work and just start over.

He was bullied, forced out and had his name dragged through the mud to such an extent that he ended up killing himself :(

I like that director as well, I'd definitely check that out.

I've kinda avoided the documentary poo poo about all of it because I constantly have to deal with people doing bad science poo poo to the extent that I now teach a class on Pseudoscience so it kinda almost seemed like work to watch it. Heard it was good though. One day I'll give it a ago.

loving :smith: about the professor. gently caress those people.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

That Works posted:

I like that director as well, I'd definitely check that out.

I've kinda avoided the documentary poo poo about all of it because I constantly have to deal with people doing bad science poo poo to the extent that I now teach a class on Pseudoscience so it kinda almost seemed like work to watch it. Heard it was good though. One day I'll give it a ago.

loving :smith: about the professor. gently caress those people.

ABC News did a podcast on the whole thing. It was a brutal takedown of the whole company top to bottom and it’s investors. Especially brutal towards Sonny whatever his name is and Elizabeth.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It appears that Pompeo's blockade didn't work.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1183873835969470466

Whatever Kurds are left, their savior is going to have to be Mike Pence. RIP.

https://twitter.com/RiegerReport/status/1183869569091489792

And Bad Blood is an extremely good read. The whole thing was based on lies and sales pitches, which is cool and all, gently caress it, eat up venture capital IDGAF. Then Holmes crossed the line of actually testing people and trying to get the poo poo into Walgreens aaaaand nope, gently caress you, enjoy prison.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

"So you Kurds won't accept White Jesus into your hearts? I guess you're going to die then."
-Pence

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I don't even know what the gently caress reality is anymore.

https://www.newsweek.com/gop-liz-cheney-fox-news-turkey-invaded-syria-because-democrats-impeachment-inquiry-trump-1465003

quote:

"I also want to say that the impeachment proceedings that are going on and what the Democrats are doing themselves to try to weaken this president is part of this," Cheney, who represents Wyoming and is the daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney, argued.

"It was not an accident that the Turks chose this moment to roll across the border," she claimed. "And I think the Democrats have got to pay very careful attention to the damage that they're doing with the impeachment proceedings."

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I'm not drunk enough for this article

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

:siren::siren:THE TURKS ARE ROLLING ACROSS THE BORDER BECAUSE TRUMP GAVE THEM PERMISSION :siren::siren:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Shut the gently caress up Dick Cheney.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

:siren::siren:THE TURKS ARE ROLLING ACROSS THE BORDER BECAUSE TRUMP GAVE THEM PERMISSION :siren::siren:

I want to read the alt history where Trump handles the Suez crisis.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Shut the gently caress up Dick Cheney.

It's worse, it's his hellspawn child who is currently Wyoming's rep to Congress. If you listen to or read her statements you can tell she's a completely wretched person.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well Liz, you do you and I'll do me. By which I mean I'm going to celebrate when your piece of poo poo mass murdering dad finally dies.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

FrozenVent posted:

Just heard on NPR that Kurds are throwing their lot in with Assad, deal struck with him.

Edit: Here's CNN on it: https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/middleeast/syria-turkey-kurds-civilians-isis-intl-hnk/index.html

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I want to read the alt history where Trump handles the Suez crisis.

You mean the מצב תעלת סואץ.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I mean the kurds are land locked so its their only option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Don’t forget Mattis was on the board for Theranos as well, and Theranos had a flag in their office that they claimed had flown in Afghanistan (it hadn’t)

Also they did fraudulent STD testing on people with falsified results

Also also Liz Cheney totally sold out her lesbian sister to score political points