Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I'm saving up for like 4 years to get a used 2019 in like 2023 with cash, I guess. Because no way I am financing a car ever again.

Mazda giving out 1.9% financing on miatas for 72 months, considering inflation, that's pretty stellar. Just something to think about if your situation is stable. Better to finance than to obliterate your savings anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

If it has an LS/LT swap, then hells yes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Joe Mama posted:

If it has an LS/LT swap, then hells yes.

You mean a 6.6 swap? :colbert:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Toe Rag posted:

Do you have extremely bad credit or something? Used car are a little different but with new cars you can usually borrow at pretty low rates.

I’m not necessarily financially savvy but you’d probably be better off putting whatever cash you save into a 5-year CD and getting a loan anyway. That way it helps your credit, and the interest you get from the CD will be near to or even more than what you paid in interest on the loan.

I don't want to pay 30k+ for a car is all. I buy slightly used cars with cash. My current non-NA-Miata car is a 2015 golf sportwagen I let someone else eat like 16k of value loss on over 3 years.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ShaneB posted:

I don't want to pay 30k+ for a car is all. I buy slightly used cars with cash. My current non-NA-Miata car is a 2015 golf sportwagen I let someone else eat like 16k of value loss on over 3 years.

Yeah, but now you have the privilege of owning a cheap German car out of warranty.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, but now you have the privilege of owning a cheap German car out of warranty.

Yep, it's great honestly.

Never change, AI.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My 96 hell Miata ended up not liking the new lifters. loving God drat piece of poo poo. They're deflated and not inflating. No oil pressure in the top end. The oil pressure sender shows pressure. I'm completely out of ideas. I've replaced the oil pump, and there's oil in the head, so I don't know what's working, what isn't

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Maybe one of the oil passages is plugged?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

Maybe one of the oil passages is plugged?

Maybe? It doesn't help me that this is all that I can find on the oiling system.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Yep, it's great honestly.

Never change, AI.

:rolleyes:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Isn’t that the opposite of how you’re supposed to do it with German cars :v:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what sort of balljoint splitter I should get if I need to pull all the arms from an NC.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

track day bro! posted:

Anyone know what sort of balljoint splitter I should get if I need to pull all the arms from an NC.

Pickle fork and 5 pound hammer? also new boots if you do that.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BloodBag posted:

Pickle fork and 5 pound hammer? also new boots if you do that.

I mean I kinda don't want to do that because we're swapping a mint 15,000 mile subframe onto a car that spent most of its life in northern scotland. So I'm trying to get all the arms off the nice subframes without damaging stuff as it's almost brand new, the old stuff we didn't give a poo poo and just cut through the old arms.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've not done that job on a Miata, but is it possible to whack the part the stud bolts through with a hammer so the vibration causes the joint to just fall out? I know that works on Jeep steering knuckles, but that's quite a different situation.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Generally not a good idea in case you mushroom the shank and gently caress up the threads. A fancy type of puller or separator is best. Pickle forks only if you dgaf.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He means hitting whatever the taper seats into, not the end of the joint itself - like smacking the knuckle to get a tie rod to release.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Suburban Dad posted:

Generally not a good idea in case you mushroom the shank and gently caress up the threads. A fancy type of puller or separator is best. Pickle forks only if you dgaf.

*Reminder that I have no idea what I'm talking or how a Miata suspension goes together. I should probably just be ignored entirely*

If done correctly, the method I use shouldn't have you anywhere near the threads. For example, if doing a tie rod end, you'd whack a big flat section of steering knuckle away from the where the stud goes through. After a couple raps the joint should just fall out of the hole in the knuckle.

I'm having trouble finding a video demonstration, but this is the closest I found. Note that he is much closer to where the stud goes through and risks deforming the hole. I'd be aiming several inches away, but the principle is the same. (Should start at 3:44)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NypleL4qrQ&t=224s

I should probably stop giving advice based on different suspension setups now.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Tbf I've only really worked on mr2's which are mcstrut and only have a single balljoint

I need one of these basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRDaRw-Bpyw&t=259s

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I should've bought this instead of my NC: https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-1991-mazda-miata-with-turbo-kit/6996878789.html

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

um excuse me posted:

Maybe? It doesn't help me that this is all that I can find on the oiling system.

Oil comes up through a restrictor into the head, and passes along the oil gallery to the HLA feeds and the cam bearings. Check the restrictor, and you can sometimes take out the plug in the head to check said gallery, also a place to check pressure delivered to the head itself.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That is helpful, thank you. I bought a cheapo oil pressure gauge to check output pressure. If that reads fine, I will move onto the restriction and galleries. Maybe just feed some mechanics wire through and see if it gets stuck on something that isn't a sharp bend?

Anyone here ever successfully reuse a head gasket? I've spent almost $100 on head gaskets and can't keep replacing them every single time the head comes off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When I was futzing with the Civic inward advised by Honda.Net thatbyiu could totally trace the head gasket on a sheet of cardboard and that would work for short term use.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't get me wrong, this is a temporary solution until I'm sure the engine doesn't have to be torn down again. With the exception of replacing the gasket. The gasket the car currently has probably has 3 miles on it.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 11, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I managed to get the radio kind-of installed by fabricating my own mounting bracket out of sheet aluminum. The other thing left now is to hook up the reversing camera (yeah I know, but it can be helpful to really maximize the range of motion when parking in very tight spots). Are there any existing holes between the trunk and the passenger compartment large enough to stick an RCA connector through? I'm hoping to pull this off without having to drill anything or ripping apart the interior.

E: This is an NB

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 11, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Anyone here ever successfully reuse a head gasket? I've spent almost $100 on head gaskets and can't keep replacing them every single time the head comes off.

The Sloppy Mechanics way to reuse head gaskets, at least on a LS, is to spray some copper sealant on it, reuse the TTY head bolts, and send it with 14 pounds of boost.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The 14 lbs I’d boost helps to seal it in place you see.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
NB started to overheat on the highway, coolant was boiling in the reservoir. No leaks at all as far as I could tell. After it cooled down, I checked the radiator and it was still full. Was able to drive home with no blips on the temp gauge. Just a bad radiator cap? Note: currently my heater core is bypassed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Elysium posted:

NB started to overheat on the highway, coolant was boiling in the reservoir. No leaks at all as far as I could tell. After it cooled down, I checked the radiator and it was still full. Was able to drive home with no blips on the temp gauge. Just a bad radiator cap? Note: currently my heater core is bypassed.

If the coolant is circulating and the thermostat is open but the coolant still boils, the problem is usually the radiator cap not keeping enough pressure on the system.

You could also have an air bubble somewhere.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
MOSFET went on my NC and holy hell this job looks like a nightmare, has anyone done it?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
My oil guages keeps dropping on braking but my dipstick reads full :/ I've read the fake on off guages are bad and I'm pretty sure that's what mine is, 99 audm nb. Should I be concerned? It's not every time either, it's mostly when coming to a stop

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I figured out it's when rpm drops. My oil was full when I left home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVIB5WYq330

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, all NBs have a fake gauge driven by a switch.

I don't see how it would be possible for an engine to deliver rapidly fluctuating oil pressure like that, so I'd start by replacing the "sending unit" which is just a pressure-activated switch.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Could take a moment to swap in a 90-93 gauge that actually reads out pressure. You'd also need a same generation oil gauge to make sense of it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

um excuse me posted:

Could take a moment to swap in a 90-93 gauge that actually reads out pressure. You'd also need a same generation oil gauge to make sense of it.

90-94 also he would need the sender also.

underage - clean the sensor connector and/or replace it. Id also clean and tighten all grounds.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
She, and I'll try clean out the grounds and reseat everything. Thank you

If I see an na getting wrecked I'll see if they'll sell the guage

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

underage at the vape shop posted:

I figured out it's when rpm drops. My oil was full when I left home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVIB5WYq330

Yeah even when you put in a real pressure sender and mod the gauge to actually show pressure like i did its not fluctuating like that while idling.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Installed a pair of cravenspeed door bushings today. No. More. Door. Rattles. Worth it.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I have a coverking silver guard plus for an NC. Bought it in 2014, and used it for a few months before moving to a place with a larger garage. It's been in storage since. Will send it to a goon for the cost of shipping. Ih8philly at Google's mail.

Gone!

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
OK I'm liking my NC better now with Koni yellows and progress springs/sways; it pretty gud. Why doesn't Mazda just make them like this out of the box?