Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone talking about battle themes made me remember this gem.

https://youtu.be/YV_KhJfXtiM

Too bad it's stuck to a bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So I'm playing Indivisible right now and it's loving dope, everything about it is dope but combat is my favorite bit, and I've heard that apparently Valkyrie Profile has the same combat system, is it true?
I really enjoy the fact that the game is actually a tag team beat'em'up with cross-character combos and there's a lot of depth in it. I'd like to play something else like it after I finish Indivisible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jack Trades posted:

So I'm playing Indivisible right now and it's loving dope, everything about it is dope but combat is my favorite bit, and I've heard that apparently Valkyrie Profile has the same combat system, is it true?
I really enjoy the fact that the game is actually a tag team beat'em'up with cross-character combos and there's a lot of depth in it. I'd like to play something else like it after I finish Indivisible.

VP is indivisible but better in every way. Give it a shot for sure. Its on playstation (emulatable), PSP, and mobile. Before you start ask for a bit of advice though because there's a few unintuitive things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
play exist archive :twisted:

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah Indivisible's combat was meant to be like VP1. I love VP1 and 2 to bits and anything that indivisible is missing compared to those games is a mark against it in my eyes. You should give them a try.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

indivisible's combat is like, designed in a way thats better than vp1's but they introduce all this useless cruft instead of making you catually do the cool combat stuff they added

like characters have more moves than vp1 characters but instead of taking advantage of that they have you do crappy platforming mid boss fight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The biggest strike against indivisible's combat compared to VP is that in VP you're forced to do each character's moves in sequence. You can change the order but can't just decide to skip a move entirely. So Lenneth will always launch the enemy into the air, which will make ground moves whiff. This means comboing takes effort, which is fun

In indivisible you get a full combo by rolling your thumb over the face buttons a few times so the whole exercise feels kinda pointless

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

About to dig my PS2 out of my damp mouldy basement that is infested with spiders to the purpose of trying to play vp.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

The Colonel posted:

this but ronically

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm glad to heard that Valkyrie Profile 1's combat is allegedly even better than Indivisible's, I'm looking forward to playing that once I'm done with Indivisible.
What about Valkyrie Profile 2?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

In VP1, Hard mode is actually the easiest one because you have more time to grind, and all your recruitable buddies start at level 1 which lets you give them tens of thousands of free max HP and tons of skill points with the right setup

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All 3 VP games are better, Indivisible is just ultimately less than the sum of its parts especially the back half.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

heck i think people were even praising the phone vp at one point

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I'm glad to heard that Valkyrie Profile 1's combat is allegedly even better than Indivisible's, I'm looking forward to playing that once I'm done with Indivisible.

Same kind of deal, except the battles take place on a 3d plane and the monsters can only move and act while you are moving or recovering AP. When you initiate attacks, your characters snap into a formation similar to VP1 and Indivisible, although you can actually set up pincer attacks if you feel like it. You use positioning and combos to try and sever specific parts of monsters for different kinds of gear/loot. I love it and it was absolutely beautiful for a PS2 game.

To add to EightFlyingCars' post, you can actually only complete the whole story on Hard in VP1. The difficulty selection is sort of like a route selector and choosing other than Hard is sort of a gotcha. You miss a lot by playing on normal.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Jack Trades posted:

VP2 has VP1's combat stapled to a break point system that can be very annoying to manage (and a field of battle).

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pdNw8tb2tc

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
VP2 has you moving around a 3D field and when you attack an enemy your characters line up in the diamond pattern ready to do combos. Enemies have cooldowns and aoe patterns on their attacks

VP2 is incredible but it has a lot of systems and demands that you understand all of them or you'll just hit a brick wall.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Good to know, now I have something to look forward to after I finish indivisible.

One more question. Do Valkyrie Profile do anything interesting when it comes to story/setting? Most of the JRPG story stuff bores me to death. I think the only JRPG that managed to keep my attention all the way to the end was Tales of Berseria, and I've played a lot of JRPGers.
Not that it matters really, if the combat is as you as you say then it probably can carry the whole game on it's own for me.

cheetah7071 posted:

VP2 has you moving around a 3D field and when you attack an enemy your characters line up in the diamond pattern ready to do combos. Enemies have cooldowns and aoe patterns on their attacks

VP2 is incredible but it has a lot of systems and demands that you understand all of them or you'll just hit a brick wall.

Now THAT sounds like my jam.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
My big disappointment with VP2 was the removal of the heartbreaking backstory of the summoned characters, giving you just a text description instead.

Everything else was great and its a delightful take on a prequel.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Good to know, now I have something to look forward to after I finish indivisible.

One more question. Do Valkyrie Profile do anything interesting when it comes to story/setting? Most of the JRPG story stuff bores me to death. I think the only JRPG that managed to keep my attention all the way to the end was Tales of Berseria, and I've played a lot of JRPGers.

Depends what you mean exactly, but VP1 is structured pretty much unlike anything else and has kind of a secret narrative you have to stumble upon to make it to the true ending. If being less boring than Berseria is the bar then VP2 at the very least has nothing to worry about.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I can't speak to what'll get you, but VP is definitely pretty distinct from most JRPGs in story, at least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Valkyrie Profile is very norse mythology inspired and story-wise its mostly just Lenneth bebopping around seeing a lot of hosed up norse people die tragically. And one samurai. It's not really like most JRPGs tone-wise or in terms of structure.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

yes, valkyrie profile is fairly unique when it comes to plotting

at the start of the game you're tasked with gathering warriors to send to valhalla in preparation for ragnarok, and for most of its length that's seemingly it for a consistent plotline - it's less about an epic game-spanning story and more about many small vignettes focused on each of the characters you recruit. since they need to be dead in order for you to recruit them, these vignettes inevitably have you watching over them at the moment of their untimely demise, so it's pretty melancholy overall

but, it turns out there is a larger story behind the catch-em-all warrior gathering, accessible only if you're very careful about time management and who and what you send back up to valhalla at the end of each chapter. if you meet all the requirements (and it's a lengthy process, guide strongly recommended) the entire structure of the game changes and you spend the final act uncovering a treacherous plot within valhalla and revealing the valkyrie's own past

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh that stuff is mostly just like. the very ending. the uncovering stuff happens alongside everything else until you hit the big revelation and from there you just like, do one dungeon with a bunch of boss fights

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's probably some level of hinting that could enable a person to figure out the true ending without just giving away the game but that's one of the few instances where I recommend just using a guide to get a checklist of things to do

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I've only watched a little of Indivisible's combat but I feel like the combat is kind of... sloggy?

Like I feel like VP's combat really worked because fights were largely over in a round or two, with several rare outliers, and it doesn't feel like the kind of system that would feel good if you had to whittle down HP sponges slowly

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's early game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
VP is probably sloggy if you don't know the game inside and out

Knowing how to get great magic staves that don't break, the locations of some early busted weapons, and that buffs are actually insane go a long way to making every combat rocket tag instead of grindy

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, that's fair. It's neat that the game does feature so many shortcuts though, like the weapons like Grimrist or Dragon Slayer that go "If the enemy is weak to this, instakills it"

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it was really fun to just surround a unit and waste them in one move with a 15 hit air combo in covenant of the plume.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There are some really sick combo videos that show off just how flexible VP2's combo system is, but they all contain a ton of spoilers on playable characters so they're not really suitable to show off for new players.

But for those where that's not an issue:
https://youtu.be/bx6s9Zv29ss

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Getting VP1's best ending sounds more intimidating than it really ends up being, the chief gotcha part is that you only have limited opportunities to lower Lenneth's Seal Value, and sending heroes to Valhalla RAISES it, so it's possible to lock yourself out by wasting the events that reduce it before you're ready to freefall. The only other major guide moment is needing to send a single specific character up in either the chapter you get them or the next one, but they don't make it a secret that the character's... SIGNIFICANT.

(The trick, then, is being able to raise a minimum number of characters to cover evaluation each chapter - and the earlier the better, so you have more time to drop that Seal Value without interruptions.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The big problem with recommending Valkyrie Profile 2 to anyone is the fact that the game emulates like crap and was never ported to anything. So you basically need to still have a PS2 lying around somewhere to be able to play it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Powerman 5000 screamed at Square-Enix about Fiend on Twitter because "it sounds just like When Worlds Collide!" and S-E said "cool, we didn't rip your song off and we have lawyers" so they backed down. You can find stuff about it online. Like so: https://kotaku.com/band-says-new-final-fantasy-xiv-boss-battle-music-is-ri-1761120297

Parts of the sound sound VERY Nine Inch Nails too. :iia:

Shadowbringer's theme is better but the expansion in general ruled and the story was better than most FF stories:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZiFh6yPiB8

Though if you want the best FF song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIRYjP1NNM

Phantasium posted:

Meanwhile I'm just remembering that... I think it was a Super Robot Wars where the composer just blatantly ripped off Magus boss theme.

fake edit: yeah, here we go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKt16h-MOls

and then scrolling through the comments apparently the opening is ripping off a smt song

What are you talking about that doesn't sound anything like Ma... :stare:

That's some DOOM-level copying right there.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 14, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The A ending is probably achievable without a guide if you explore the world during your free time but the game has nothing to reward you for going to random locations 90% of the time so most players just won't bother after a chapter or two

(There's a ton of items that reward you for going to locations you aren't explicitly told to go to but they aren't just random exploration, they're all going back in to the place you just recruited a character)

Hyper Inferno posted:

There are some really sick combo videos that show off just how flexible VP2's combo system is, but they all contain a ton of spoilers on playable characters so they're not really suitable to show off for new players.

But for those where that's not an issue:
https://youtu.be/bx6s9Zv29ss

I assume that whatever arcane code makes VP2 run badly on emulator makes it impossible to port but I'd love an HD remaster

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Vp2 has been playable for years, it requires a special ps2 codec though.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tae posted:

Vp2 has been playable for years, it requires a special ps2 codec though.

even with it - it had weird effects going on in the battle.

e:

Found my screenshot folder.

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 14, 2019

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Scoss posted:

I am replaying Tactics Ogre PSP and I've forgotten almost everything, I never beat it the first time. Protips for character building/stuff to watch for welcome, particularly traps to avoid. Most of the google results are people hyper-fixated on endgame results prescribing very specific opening strategies, which seems like no fun.

I remember that Canopus is god, I put daggers and a bow on him and let him assassinate people. I know Archers are OP and Knights stink. I have no idea what to do with my casters, I've seen people advocate for dark magic so I have a dark enchantress, but I have no idea what to make of the other elements. I have a guy classed into Beast Tamer with Axe/Shortbow and I can't quite figure out numerically why he seems to swing like a wet noodle compared to everyone.

the wait time between character turns is affected by how many spaces someone moves, with different characters and classes having different rates. it's really bad for canopus, for example, so while he'll usually go first and can snipe deep within enemy lines on the first turn, you'll be waiting a while for him to go again. this is why the AI hardly ever uses its full movement, which causes maps to get real drawn out

also the AI is a spiteful bastard who will steal item drops at every opportunity so don't be afraid to abuse the turn wheel

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Countblanc posted:

wasn't really sure what thread to post this, but has anyone here messed around with the Super Mario RPG Armageddon romhack? i've wanted to revisit the game but thought it might be fun to spice things up a bit and since the randomizer still seems pretty buggy something like this might be fun.

I'm extremely wary of rom hacks that advertise their difficulty but I'd be super interested to hear what you think. I've been playing the randomizer myself and having a fun time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

I made it to the part where exploding spike enemies constantly interrupted your combos and gave up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kild posted:

even with it - it had weird effects going on in the battle.

e:

Found my screenshot folder.

I'm surprised you made it all the way to the volcano with the game looking like that