Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Legit excited for Postal 4. Postal 2 and it's first expansion were pretty enjoyable. Postal 3 was garbage. The second (fairly recent) expansion to Postal 2 was very well done I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Didn't one of the expansions have Milo loving Yiannopoulos playing himself in it? gently caress that noise

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The fact that jumping too much in this game literally causes you to die of a heart attack makes me laugh every time I hear it

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
From the Elon Musk thread-

lancemantis posted:

He’s done a really good job of embedding himself in nerd aspirational nostalgia

A marketing masterpiece

He can’t really fail them because everything he really deals in is their fantasies

I love how that quote would fit perfectly for Croberts too.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Polygon: Star Citizen turns 7, celebrates with a big update for multiplayer

Charlie Hall posted:

The team behind the Star Citizen project has released a substantial new update for its multiplayer game. Referred to as alpha 3.7, this version of the persistent universe (or the PU, as it’s called) includes underground caves, ship rental, and more. The full patch notes are available online.

As of Oct. 11, the Star Citizen PU now includes vast subsurface cave systems on planets, moons, and asteroids. Players can enter those caves and use a handheld mining tool to extract resources. Extraction was previously only available to those who had purchased specific pre-release starships capable of mining on the surface of stellar bodies.

The update also includes the addition of so-called “Quantum Enforcement” devices, which allow players to pull ships out of faster-than-lightspeed travel. The system is similar to the interdiction mechanic available in Elite: Dangerous and is expected to add some new gameplay for those interested in piracy.

Alpha 3.7 adds the ability to rent ships with in-game currency. Previously the only way to fly most of the ships in the multiplayer game was to purchase them with real-world cash. Alpha 3.7 also includes a new map for the PU’s first-person shooter module (Star Marine) and enhancements to its in-fiction flight combat simulator (Arena Commander).

Star Citizen began as a Kickstarter campaign in 2012, earning more than $2.1 million in funding. Since then, it earned more than $237.8 million from additional backers, $46 million from a private investor, and additional income from promotions with companies like Intel. It remains the single most highly-funded crowdfunding venture — video gaming or otherwise — of all time.

Since its inception the Star Citizen project has split into two distinct games. The first, called Squadron 42, is a single-player experience starring Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson and other A-list actors. That game isn’t expected to enter its beta phase until late 2020. The PU game, on the other hand, is playable, in active development, and has no release date.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Can't wait for Joe Blobbers to show up in the comments section!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
This sort of thing is all too familiar to me. Like my personal nightmare.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

From the Elon Musk thread-

I love how that quote would fit perfectly for Croberts too.

I liked how musk is rethinking rain detection with neural networking.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

First contest entry via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/heletzac/status/1183846718695202818

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

What happens if Peter Molyneux and Elon Musk hit it off at a party?

Happy Spooktober and sweet dreams.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

:prepop:

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

Pfft, selling us RDR2 at a full $60 for an "unfinished" game?

Luck is on your side folks -- Star Citizen is selling it at a discount. Go figure.

We're so lucky!

e:

The audacity of this guy telling Aunt about uninformed liars out there. He is a paid shill or obtuse.

rePool fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2019

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I've been reading the various Star Citizen threads for a few years now, basically just popping in now and then and skimming some posts to see what the latest nonsense is, because trying to follow these threads leads too madness.

And while I've sometimes felt the urge to finally post here I've never done it, until now, this post right here broke me

Spatial posted:

The fact that jumping too much in this game literally causes you to die of a heart attack makes me laugh every time I hear it

I couldn't believe it, I thought it had to be some running gag, so I went too Google, typed in "Star Citizen H" and was delighted when it auto completed the word heart attack.
I so a clicked a video, and watched a montage of a streamer dropping dead every time he sprinted a few feet, and I just started laughing.

Who, who thought this was a good idea? Why wasn't a sprint metre or simple stamina system good enough?
This kind of crap would be unacceptable in a survival game, so why add this too a shooter/space game?

I love this game so much.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

-

Nothus posted:

Cars have had rain sensors since the 90s. And I thought Apple were masters at reselling old tech to idiots at a mark-up.

Teal posted:

they're aren't reselling old tech

they're selling something substantially worse than the old tech

You could almost just merge these threads...

Has Chris ever called anyone a "pedo guy" on twitter? (Ben doesn't count)

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

I thought Charlie Hall had given up on Star Citizen.

https://www.polygon.com/game/star-citizen/2822

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Pulsarcat posted:

Who, who thought this was a good idea? Why wasn't a sprint metre or simple stamina system good enough?
This kind of crap would be unacceptable in a survival game, so why add this too a shooter/space game?

Originally you could sprint as much as you wanted, but our very own PGabz made a lot of videos of goofy movement and wallclipping, and backers complained endlessly that people running everywhere was breaking their immersion, so CIG implemented the heart rate thing.

As usual for the worst parts of the game it was a collaboration between idiots who value their spaceship RP more than having a good game, and a company willing to cater almost exclusively to whales.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I still can't get over that comment from earlier. I love that none of these people understand that this doesn't work because everyone has the fantasy of being the shithead space capitalist lording over like 10 other players
and nobody has the fantasy of being lorded over by the shithead space capitalist
the numbers are not there sis

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's hard enough to find a tank in lfg channels in classic wow, nobody is gonna respond to your ads to roleplay a space peasant

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's because in their head the game will be better than real life replacement and more than anything they want to be someone's lovely boss who tips waiters by leaving a fake $100 bill that says "here's your tip: go to college!! ".

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

"There needs to be enough players with entry level ships so that they see it as a positive and privilege to be invited to work on my larger ship and become part of my crew. Their reward (apart from wages) will be to explore and adventure in places they would never survive solo. All in all it's a win win situation to own and crew a larger ship which will then be part of a fleet."

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Mirificus posted:

"There needs to be enough players with entry level ships so that they see it as a positive and privilege to be invited to work on my larger ship and become part of my crew. Their reward (apart from wages) will be to explore and adventure in places they would never survive solo. All in all it's a win win situation to own and crew a larger ship which will then be part of a fleet."

This is the part that gets me every time.

These people think that once this game goes live, people are going to beg for the privilege of being on the crew of their Big Boy ship. Instead of realizing that loving no one is going to have any interest in doing that.

It'll just be a universe full of libertarian kingpins in their megayachts sitting around wondering where all the peasants are.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

jfc

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

brb trying to convince my friends to spend twenty minutes sitting in pre-arranged chairs watching their virtual personas eat food and we all pretend we have super sore muscles and are real life cave miners with families and stuff-

Wait- Why is it the only thing anyone wants to do on these mining expeditions is mining and then converting those resources to money? That's not immersive at all! Pretend you got hungry damnit spend more time not doing the thing you came here to do!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Originally you could sprint as much as you wanted, but our very own PGabz made a lot of videos of goofy movement and wallclipping, and backers complained endlessly that people running everywhere was breaking their immersion, so CIG implemented the heart rate thing.

As usual for the worst parts of the game it was a collaboration between idiots who value their spaceship RP more than having a good game, and a company willing to cater almost exclusively to whales.

Dear Lord, their development cycle is straight up that episode of the Simpsons where Homer designed a car, they are just adding whatever the loudest idiot tells them too add, and then getting shocked that their game is a shambling abomination.

Mirificus posted:

I so love how this guy thinks that people will keep playing a game that's so anti-fun at the start that their only option is to work for someone like them on board their space yacht.
Like, the only thing stopping us from killing and eating our bosses is the fact we need the money too pay bills and finding a new job before we literally starve too death on the streets is hard as hell.

There are thousands of other games too play, so that comment they made in a different post "not everyone gets to be Captain of the ship" is hilarious, because yes, yes we do, we all get too be captains, or heroes, or mayors or whatever, that's the magic of video games.

I've seen this sentiment made by other people, like they are utterly convinced that players will be as obsessed with the game as they are, too the point they will be willing to spent several real life days sitting in space jail just too keep playing, rather than just play a different game.

Yavuz
Oct 9, 2019
The only way Star Citizen will work, in an internal economic sense, is if CIG launches a coup and takes over the government, then institutes mandatory Star Citizen sessions.

and even then it probably still won't work

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pulsarcat posted:

There are thousands of other games too play, so that comment they made in a different post "not everyone gets to be Captain of the ship" is hilarious, because yes, yes we do, we all get too be captains, or heroes, or mayors or whatever, that's the magic of video games.

I've seen this sentiment made by other people, like they are utterly convinced that players will be as obsessed with the game as they are, too the point they will be willing to spent several real life days sitting in space jail just too keep playing, rather than just play a different game.

It's that faux-toughness a certain segment of the gamer population has, but only with respect to video games. "You need to WORK for it! You casuals want everything handed to you! I'm hardcore! Git gud!" Thus is their litany, yet in real life they're sitting in mountains of their own filth, with the view of their 4K monitors obscured by clouds of flies. They're all hard as nails libertarian elites - but only in virtual worlds. The real world chews them up and spits them out with such regularity it gives them PTSD that extends into their virtual ones. Hence the constant crowing to make sure CIG hard-codes limitations on the things that laid them low in real life, such as other people cooperating.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The bandwagon for hating SC was like 4 years ago, now all that's left is this thread and a few sad people on Reddit. No one gives a poo poo about SC anymore, it's not thought about at all by most gaming fans and news outlets besides the occasional "Star Citizen is X years old today" articles.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

rePool posted:

The audacity of this guy telling Aunt about uninformed liars out there. He is a paid shill or obtuse.

I understand he was the same for NMS, so if he is a shill, he has switched paymasters.

Perhaps he is just one of those guys who falls head over heels in love with games and refuses to see anything wrong at all with them and will not accept any criticism.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kilus aof posted:

I thought Charlie Hall had given up on Star Citizen.

https://www.polygon.com/game/star-citizen/2822

It probably means Star Citizen is now good.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, Cobra TV is using the "what is release anyway?" defense.

I think its really time someone did a review of SC as though its a released product.

I'm sure it will bring the "ITS ALPHA" horde screaming in, but they can't have it both ways. Either its a partially finished buggy alpha or its a quality product that can be considered released.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Pulsarcat posted:

I so love how this guy thinks that people will keep playing a game that's so anti-fun at the start that their only option is to work for someone like them on board their space yacht.
Like, the only thing stopping us from killing and eating our bosses is the fact we need the money too pay bills and finding a new job before we literally starve too death on the streets is hard as hell.

The really funny thing is you can crew on someone's ship, wait for them to fly out of the no fire zone, and then shoot them and take the ship.

It's been said many times before- if this game ever actually released, it'll be a griefers paradise...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The really funny thing is you can crew on someone's ship, wait for them to fly out of the no fire zone, and then shoot them and take the ship.

It's been said many times before- if this game ever actually released, it'll be a griefers paradise...

I sneaked on a ship about a year or so ago. Waited for the pilot to take off. Shot him in the head at point blank range while he was sitting in the pilot chair, multiple times. He didn't die. Then he, flickered, glitched, then teleported out of the seat, shot me once, and i died.

Semper fidelitus.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

It's that faux-toughness a certain segment of the gamer population has, but only with respect to video games. "You need to WORK for it! You casuals want everything handed to you! I'm hardcore! Git gud!" Thus is their litany, yet in real life they're sitting in mountains of their own filth, with the view of their 4K monitors obscured by clouds of flies. They're all hard as nails libertarian elites - but only in virtual worlds. The real world chews them up and spits them out with such regularity it gives them PTSD that extends into their virtual ones. Hence the constant crowing to make sure CIG hard-codes limitations on the things that laid them low in real life, such as other people cooperating.

This is one of the reasons why I don't feel bad laughing at some of these people, they are legitimately awful.

There's this group that tossed big bags of money at this game, not because they think it will be a great space game, but because they want to lord their space wealth over other people and to have control of how and when others have fun.

They didn't sign up to be virtual captains, but rather real life landlords and paymasters.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I hope that's still the case if this game gets released, the melt down the moment one of them loses their thousand dollar ship will be a sight we tell our grand children about.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pulsarcat posted:

I've been reading the various Star Citizen threads for a few years now, basically just popping in now and then and skimming some posts to see what the latest nonsense is, because trying to follow these threads leads too madness.

And while I've sometimes felt the urge to finally post here I've never done it, until now, this post right here broke me

I couldn't believe it, I thought it had to be some running gag, so I went too Google, typed in "Star Citizen H" and was delighted when it auto completed the word heart attack.
I so a clicked a video, and watched a montage of a streamer dropping dead every time he sprinted a few feet, and I just started laughing.

I love this game so much.

You have to understand that in the early years when money began pouring into the project, Chris would get on camera at least once a week and fan the flames of backers dreams more and more.

Eventually the pitch for Star Citizen went beyond simply a game to become an all-encompassing simulation of life in space, through which neckbeardes could live out all of their sci-fi fantasies fully and forever. So naturally your spaceman would have all sorts of bodily functions fidelitously modeled in the game, including personal hygiene, eating/drinking and urination/defecation.

The heart attack mechanic is the only one of these that they have managed to put into the game, and it has of course been hilariously broken for years now. But Citizens still fantasize and theorycraft about them, right down to what spaceship has the best bathroom facilities.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Zzr posted:

Why the whole UI is always shaking like it follows your head ? That's a horrible design.

I think it's meant to be a UI that's attached to your helmet visor, which is double stupid because if your helmet fits properly it wouldn't be bouncing around like that.

It's the designer going "oh that seems realistic" without doing the strenuous research of getting a helmet and wearing it for a jog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

jizzy sillage posted:

I think it's meant to be a UI that's attached to your helmet visor, which is double stupid because if your helmet fits properly it wouldn't be bouncing around like that.

It's the designer going "oh that seems realistic" without doing the strenuous research of getting a helmet and wearing it for a jog.

They did seem to be making a big deal a few years ago about how to deal with head bobbing and motion sickness issues, which was a quite interesting analysis and solution (segment starts at 12m):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7GG0y8Jmcs&t=720s

But then they do this with the visor UI, and it's been like that for a long time, so what the actual hell, did they fire all the people who were trying to solve the motion sickness? Did they attach the visor UI to the 3d model of the helmet and left it like that even though it is in direct contrast to the solution they were designing years ago?