Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I didnt notice because idgaf about jean.

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

People didn’t like Jean being scared.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Something I just remembered re House of X 1 and Cyclops saying Franklin has family waiting for him. Canonically Scott Summers and the rest of the O5 were at Reed and Sue's wedding.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Something I just remembered re House of X 1 and Cyclops saying Franklin has family waiting for him. Canonically Scott Summers and the rest of the O5 were at Reed and Sue's wedding.

And later on franklin ends up marrying Rachel

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Hickman answers some questions in his Hickman-y way:

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/10/14/x-men-monday-32-jonathan-hickman-answers-your-house-of-x-and-powers-of-x-questions/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man please add a forums filter that renames Namor to The Fishmann of Chekhov

Ok now I’m curious what is the moment he’s referring to when talking about Jean’s costume?

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 14, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

quote:

Billy-Vell (@williamaximoff) asked: Marvel Girl going back to her old ’60s costume is probably the most controversial wardrobe change in a while, can you talk about why she’s wearing it again, and if there’s any chance she might get a new one(or even go back to another old one)?

Jonathan: I’m not going to lie, this one has been disappointing.

I was pretty sure everyone would figure this out as soon as House of X #1 hit the stands. And while I’m not going to spoil the story for you, I will say go back and look at the most famous time she put this costume back on. That should help.

Can anyone with a better head for this sort of thing help me out here?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also this

quote:

even a strict reading of the law doesn’t change the fact that I showed you three (four if you were watching closely) ways that mutants can reproduce and only one of those is in the ‘traditional’ hetro manner (that’s also leaving out pretty commonplace practices like IVF and surrogacy, which seem to me to support the spirit of the law).

1. Good ol' fashioned fuckin'
2. Egg resurrection?
3. Sinister gene pits?
4. ?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Phenotype posted:

I assume he means the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga, when Jean showed up for the big fight against the Imperial Guard wearing the Marvel Girl getup.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Moira solo book = hell yes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I assume he means the end of the Dark Phoenix Saga, when Jean showed up for the big fight against the Imperial Guard wearing the Marvel Girl getup.

If that's it, she's also wearing it when she rejects the Phoenix in Resurrection.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There definitely had to be some stuff that happened before the start of the story. Jean having an off-screen Phoenix encounter is interesting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I do actually appreciate that his answer to "what about souls and the afterlife and all that stuff, it's canon in the Marvel Universe" is basically "yeah well a lot of things are 'canon' in the Marvel Universe that gets rightfully ignored 99% of the time and this will be too"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
All lot of those Hickman answers are in fact interesting to do satisfy me (for now) but yeah this Jean one seems a bit half-baked. He seems disappointed that no one's figured out something super obvious yet also super genius but it's like...you're the one giving us the clues soooooo...that sounds more like a you problem. :buddy:

And even if someone's figured it out, they'd still have to ask for confirmation since nothing's been mentioned of it in the book.

Alaois posted:

I do actually appreciate that his answer to "what about souls and the afterlife and all that stuff, it's canon in the Marvel Universe" is basically "yeah well a lot of things are 'canon' in the Marvel Universe that gets rightfully ignored 99% of the time and this will be too"
Yeah this was one of the answers I was satisfied by. Xavier has literally done this before, so I'm totally fine with the approach of this being a perfectly viable method of resurrection. It's good that the issue of souls will be explored more, and relatively soon, as well.

My next question though becomes, what happens if one of the Five dies?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Phenotype posted:

Also this

1. Good ol' fashioned fuckin'
2. Egg resurrection?
3. Sinister gene pits?
4. ?

Having the Phoenix make people into mutants?
I'm sure there have been other scientific devices that turned people into mutants.

Speaking of Phoenix....technically the most famous time that outfit was worn (at the end of the Dark Phoenix saga) wasnt by Jean. But by a Phoenix clone.

So clones of the Phoenix running around thinking they are Jean Grey.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

It wasn't just that, he said X-Men #7 would deal with some of that stuff and there would be a line next year about resurrection problems. That was his answer to how the timeline fit with regards to previous X-Men history, though, which is really the best way to do it. There's no way for everyone to have gone through decades of comics history and still be in their twenties (or still sane). It's just gotta get condensed and handwaved at some point unless you want to do a full restart of the universe.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Wanderer posted:

That's obviously what he's referring to, but I'm still not quite sure exactly what he means by that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Barry Convex posted:

That's obviously what he's referring to, but I'm still not quite sure exactly what he means by that.

She says something in #137 about how the outfit represents nostalgia and pride to her; it's how she started, and if given the choice, it's how she'd finish.

That combined with the way she's generally acting throughout H/PoX makes me wonder if, in conjunction with what Hickman said about the resurrection process, if this is a Jean who actually did edit her own memories, or who's otherwise been thrown back or constrained.

It could be an interesting bit of foreshadowing, since Jean has traditionally had a stronger moral compass than Xavier, especially post-resurrection. I could see Moira deliberately trying to keep Jean weak as an attempt to keep her from being a spoiler.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Phenotype posted:

Wanderer posted:

Specifically...

X-Men #137 posted:

SCOTT: You're dressed as Marvel Girl! Why?!

JEAN: I'm not sure -- nostalgia? Pride? I started as Marvel Girl, and that's how I'll finish.

Assuming she had the same sentiments before the Mother Mold mission, it means she knew (as she did before the Blue Side of the Moon fight) that this was a suicide mission and that she was choosing to die as Marvel Girl once again. Which...okay, not exactly intuitive, but I can kinda see where Hickman was going with it.

Of course in the Dark Phoenix books, her costume choices reflected her level of self-control, so that when she starts to lose control again in the fight against the Imperial Guard her costume changes against her will to Phoenix then Dark Phoenix as the barriers Xavier put in her brain start to collapse. So in this case, Claremont did it better since there was more to it than just her stated reason of "I'm going out like I began", in that it was also "I'm consciously rejecting the Phoenix". :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

My next question though becomes, what happens if one of the Five dies?

Rogue touches their corpse I guess?

The Question IRL posted:

I'm sure there have been other scientific devices that turned people into mutants.

Speaking of Phoenix....technically the most famous time that outfit was worn (at the end of the Dark Phoenix saga) wasnt by Jean. But by a Phoenix clone.

So clones of the Phoenix running around thinking they are Jean Grey.

Have they reverted that? In AvX they retconned out the clone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Did they specifically retcon it out? It just felt like Bendis didn't acknowledge it less than write it out but I only read the mainline.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rick posted:

Did they specifically retcon it out? It just felt like Bendis didn't acknowledge it less than write it out but I only read the mainline.

When they go to the moon Cyclops is thinking about the end with Jean and the machine and everything as if it was really her and not the clone.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Aphrodite posted:

When they go to the moon Cyclops is thinking about the end with Jean and the machine and everything as if it was really her and not the clone.

to be fair at the time he did think if was her, and its not like Jean didn't receive those memories any way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but this was present Cyclops at the time, talking about choices and sacrifices Jean made there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I take the answer as being confirmation that this Jean's mind is rebooted from before the first time she died.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s not though. When Jean gets resurrected in HoX, her and Storm repeat an exchange from Inferno.

Jean first made that costume to get away from the original school uniforms. She wore it again to distance herself from the Phoenix. It’s her most independent costume.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Let's be fair first of all that Bendis is really bad at continuity, among other things, so his idea of what's true or not is just going to be "not" in just about every case.

That said, at this point it's probably just best to go with Hickman's mindset: if a writer references it then it's true. If they don't then just don't worry about it.

To be absolutely completely technical about it, the "correct" answer from the last time this was officially answered in any way that actually makes any sense, is that Jean, the Phoenix clone, Madelyne Pryor, etc, are all simply fragments of each other that get separated from time to time. They're all ultimately the same person and our "Jean" has had memories from all of them since the 90s, so for all intents and purposes the metanarrative has been treating them all as if they're Jean. (Unless, as mentioned above, it just doesn't.)

And who knows what the current status of the current Krakoan Jean or her memories is. *~*WaIT aNd SEe*~* and all that

edit:

Squizzle posted:

In an X-Men run where resurrections are narratively and likely thematically central, I rather expect a major setting element called “the Phoenix” to be involved.
I sure hope! Few things would make me happier!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 15, 2019

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In an X-Men run where resurrections are narratively and likely thematically central, I rather expect a major setting element called “the Phoenix” to be involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, I genuinely forget. Did they ever explain what would happen if like, Goldballs accidentally gets crushed by a falling tree or something?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ImpAtom posted:

You know, I genuinely forget. Did they ever explain what would happen if like, Goldballs accidentally gets crushed by a falling tree or something?

Not explicitly, but the data page on The Five did explicitly state that power duplicators like Synch or Mimic could help the Five out; presumably someone could fill in long enough to get Goldballs back on his feet again.

And while it wasn't spelled out, note how the resurrection scene opens on a room with a lot more pods/eggs shown than eventually hatch; I would expect that each of the Five has a husk already incubated and ready for upload ASAP (we know this is the case for Proteus, for example, he always has some backups ready to go in case he burns out his current body due to power usage; that is spelled out in the data pages).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I hope word gets out to Miles about how critical Fabio is now to mutant kind. I'd just kind of like to see his reaction to his friend being one of the keys to some manner of functional immortality (until it all goes horribly wrong.)

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

quote:

The broader point is we bring back characters all the time in much less elegant ways, and this one is actually based on an experience Professor Xavier had in earlier X-Men comics, so it makes sense he would think of something like this. He knew it worked.

What the gently caress. Did Xavier hatch from an egg and get his old memories implanted at some point?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Storm died and came back as a space whale and then got better, maybe he got the idea from that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

What the gently caress. Did Xavier hatch from an egg and get his old memories implanted at some point?

Xavier's original body is M.I.A. It was infected by the Brood so Moria and the Shi'Ar made him a new body that was also younger and transfered his mind into it.

I mean you could probably assume they disposed the body but my X-Men Fantasy Booking always maintained that the original body is out there somewhere.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Question IRL posted:

Technically yes, but no. If you get your powers from outside stimulus instead of being born with it then you're a mutate, not a mutant. They really need that distinction, because otherwise what's to stop the argument that Captain America, Spider-Man or The Hulk are mutants, they just got their power from science.

Though maybe Spider-Man is different cuz who's to say whether the radioactivity gave the spider the ability to give its powers to Peter or like if the radioactivity killed the spider when it was trying to give Peter his powers. It really makes you think, man.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 15, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s old. Mutants have x-genes and in some circumstances it can be dormant and activated by an outside stimulus.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

rantmo posted:

Storm died and came back as a space whale and then got better, maybe he got the idea from that.

Rick posted:

Xavier's original body is M.I.A. It was infected by the Brood so Moria and the Shi'Ar made him a new body that was also younger and transfered his mind into it.

I mean you could probably assume they disposed the body but my X-Men Fantasy Booking always maintained that the original body is out there somewhere.

:psyduck:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Broodwar was loving amazing.

Oh yeah, it was brood infected Xavier who came up with the idea of recruiting the original New Mutants, so there'd be more fresh mutant bodies to also infect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There was a backup story in 'Classic X-Men' where Xavier's original paraplegic body still has his original conscious in it and he's just spending his entire time in a shiar museum/conference center while his young walky clone is out and about with his space-bird girlfriend and he just gets bitter about it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

There was a backup story in 'Classic X-Men' where Xavier's original paraplegic body still has his original conscious in it and he's just spending his entire time in a shiar museum/conference center while his young walky clone is out and about with his space-bird girlfriend and he just gets bitter about it. :v:

That's loving dark.