Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Skill-tree dishonors go to Arkham Origins for needlessly gating skills you could freely buy in the previous game...

This was an extra big sin because it required you to buy all the health upgrades (I think even both the melee and gun health) before you could buy anything remotely interesting.
I'm not amazing at games, but I played and re-played the first two Arkham games tons and I got good enough at the combat that the health upgrades were the last things I brought.

Also, they locked some of the more fun abilities (including pulling a weapon out of a goon's hands and dissembling it) behind side quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RareAcumen posted:

Wasn't the flamethrower in Far Cry 3 good? I assumed it was, but I didn't play that game so I dunno.

IME, any time you have the flamethrower in FC3/4 you spend more time setting yourself on fire and eating bullets from enemies that laugh off its piddly flame, at least until you've managed to set an entire field or building on fire and then suddenly the enemies freak out and maybe fall into the fire and die.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shai-Hulud posted:

The ending was a bit of a "Huh...thats it?" moment because i was expecting it to be giant fight against your brother. On the other hand i'm pretty happy that it wasn't a big boss battle because combat isn't really the strong suit of that game, especially against stronger enemies.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the fight with esseJ was a lot of fun tbh and it could have been similar to that

Yeah, I'm a little bit torn. On the one hand I thought it worked fine on its own, on the other after [finally] beating esseJ something like that might've felt satisfying. Sorta leaning towards liking it how it is, because the bosses always leave me half satisfied and half angry because they feel tailor made to point out the flaws - spending almost 2 minutes loading/running back to the location takes away a lot of the satisfaction in finally winning when you've had to do it 8 or 10 times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Veotax posted:

This was an extra big sin because it required you to buy all the health upgrades (I think even both the melee and gun health) before you could buy anything remotely interesting.
I'm not amazing at games, but I played and re-played the first two Arkham games tons and I got good enough at the combat that the health upgrades were the last things I brought.

Also, they locked some of the more fun abilities (including pulling a weapon out of a goon's hands and dissembling it) behind side quests.

I really didn't like that. I am generally not a super pro in any game but I only upgrade health if I am consistently getting wrecked. Being forced to upgrade health is lovely because if they really wanted me to have more health then they could have just awarded it after story missions. It made me think they were having issues balancing the game, forcing the better upgrades to come later in the playthrough.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There shouldn’t have been any RPG elements, upgrades should have been fixed milestones in the storyline.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Playing through Freespace 2 again and hot diggity drat it still owns bones zipping between cruisers hearing beam cannons blasting away

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

There shouldn’t have been any RPG elements, upgrades should have been fixed milestones in the storyline.

The bad part of this is when games don't give you everything until late in the game. With RPG elements and side content if I want to earn everything early I can.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MLB The Show 2019 is one of the PS Plus free games this month.

Generally average EA baseball game packed full of deck building microtransactions for the online play, but one small thing I love is they included all the names from this:

https://youtu.be/oymWAeqv_-c

as voiced options in the Create a Player mode. Hearing Bobson Dugnutt being called to the plate never gets old.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Show is a first party Sony title, not EA.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As with any weapon in the game, the Flamethrower in The Last of Us has the potential to be super good if you can upgrade it enough.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I'm a little bit torn. On the one hand I thought it worked fine on its own, on the other after [finally] beating esseJ something like that might've felt satisfying. Sorta leaning towards liking it how it is, because the bosses always leave me half satisfied and half angry because they feel tailor made to point out the flaws - spending almost 2 minutes loading/running back to the location takes away a lot of the satisfaction in finally winning when you've had to do it 8 or 10 times.
I found the combat in general to be largely just a chore without much challenge involved or thought required. The bigger fights (Former, the prime mold or whatever, esseJ partly though that one was merely a bullet sponge instead of actively lovely) were just dire garbage with every single annoyance I had with the game combined into a section with zero redeeming qualities. I'm glad there was no fight against the brother, since I feel it would have entirely ruined any sense of pacing and story flow. The final progression section getting to him was a nice showcase of your powers against the regular enemies, which worked as well as anything with the game's combat mechanics could have.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Chad Jihad posted:

Playing through Freespace 2 again and hot diggity drat it still owns bones zipping between cruisers hearing beam cannons blasting away

The whole atmospheric improvement the beams added in the second game was amazing. Cap ship fights went from boring pew pew exchanges to beams of doom with flak bursting everywhere.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dr Snofeld posted:

Warframe has the Ignis Wraith which, if modded correctly, can melt through dozens of enemies in half a second. I find it hard to justify using anything else.

Does it keep saying "I've come up with a new recipe"?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Taerkar posted:

The whole atmospheric improvement the beams added in the second game was amazing. Cap ship fights went from boring pew pew exchanges to beams of doom with flak bursting everywhere.

A little thing to aid the big thing of the massive beam cannons: the entire first proper mission is set up to let you see just how powerful those weapons are. The Belisarius and the Pstamtik face off, and Command immediately tells you to just back the gently caress off. If you do, you see the rad light show. ...If you don't, you probably get cut up by the rad light show.

Freespace is one of the few games where I feel like the 'give you control while events that could be a cutscene happen' approach works. It really lets you appreciate the scope of everything that's going on around you if you can get right up near it and/or accidentally get blown up by it.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

There's a timeline where Freespace is a successful IP still and I wish it was this one

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cleretic posted:

A little thing to aid the big thing of the massive beam cannons: the entire first proper mission is set up to let you see just how powerful those weapons are. The Belisarius and the Pstamtik face off, and Command immediately tells you to just back the gently caress off. If you do, you see the rad light show. ...If you don't, you probably get cut up by the rad light show.

Freespace is one of the few games where I feel like the 'give you control while events that could be a cutscene happen' approach works. It really lets you appreciate the scope of everything that's going on around you if you can get right up near it and/or accidentally get blown up by it.

In the first game it would be 'They'll slowly reduce the HP of the other ship and you would have to kill the ship yourself' so you might be expecting that to happen again. By the end of the first Freespace game the player would probably have at least half of the enemy ships (not fighters) in the game as kills.

Then the front of the Pstamtik starts to glow and this high pitched whine starts before incredibly bright death eats the Belisarius in seconds.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aubergine Mage posted:

There's a timeline where Freespace is a successful IP still and I wish it was this one

I mean, Freespace was a successful IP. It wasn't a blockbuster, sure, but it was widely accepted as the king of flight sims back when that was a prominent genre. It probably could've survived the collapse of that genre, too (which I recall hearing was partly Freespace's fault, other developers got cold feet about competing with Freespace 2 because it was that loving good), but then Interplay collapsed for other reasons, leading to selling off the developer and the IP to different people.

Apparently Interplay got back the rights to Freespace at some point (and also still exist, which surprised me). But the last I can find out about it is that they put all their IPs up for sale in 2016. I can't find out who bought them, if anybody, which is a depressingly quiet end to that story.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Cleretic posted:

I mean, Freespace was a successful IP. It wasn't a blockbuster, sure, but it was widely accepted as the king of flight sims back when that was a prominent genre. It probably could've survived the collapse of that genre, too (which I recall hearing was partly Freespace's fault, other developers got cold feet about competing with Freespace 2 because it was that loving good), but then Interplay collapsed for other reasons, leading to selling off the developer and the IP to different people.

I do wonder how a Freespace 3 would stack up against Elite Dangerous or Eve or something given how flight sims aren't big now. You'd think someone would be willing to take a chance on kickstarting it if they could get the rights

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Aubergine Mage posted:

I do wonder how a Freespace 3 would stack up against Elite Dangerous or Eve or something given how flight sims aren't big now. You'd think someone would be willing to take a chance on kickstarting it if they could get the rights

I have to imagine Star Citizen ate up the whale money and made everyone else leery.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

volition sneaking a joke about wanting to make fs3 into saints row 4 evoked a deep melancholy

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The Chad Jihad posted:

You should try House of the Dying Sun, if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheMostFrench posted:

You should try House of the Dying Sun, if you haven't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

That game was so drat good. I loved how your fighter could be a complete glass cannon. I would use the AP rounds and do super-close gun runs on ships ten times my size, it was so satisfying. I started playing it again in VR the other day and that makes those moments even cooler.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Cleretic posted:

Apparently Interplay got back the rights to Freespace at some point (and also still exist, which surprised me). But the last I can find out about it is that they put all their IPs up for sale in 2016. I can't find out who bought them, if anybody, which is a depressingly quiet end to that story.
Yeah, Interplay still technically exists but all the talented developers left shortly after the company was bought by Titus Software (of Superman 64 fame) in the early 00s. Titus went bankrupt in 2005, but Herve Caen is still bumbling around as the CEO of Interplay and... yeah, that's about it. They haven't done anything in about 15 years.

Freespace itself was developed by Volition, who are currently with Deep Silver.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I found out Homeworld loving 3 was announced, by the same devs that made Deserts of Kharak (which was made mostly by the original devs?) so naturally I had to replay all the games in story-order and I noticed for the first time that your veteran units in Kharak get proper names and ranks as they survive and gained experience. :) It did however make me extremely overprotective of all my lovely light units

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biplane posted:

I found out Homeworld loving 3 was announced, by the same devs that made Deserts of Kharak (which was made mostly by the original devs?) so naturally I had to replay all the games in story-order and I noticed for the first time that your veteran units in Kharak get proper names and ranks as they survive and gained experience. :) It did however make me extremely overprotective of all my lovely light units

I liked that a lot- I was similarly overprotective of my units in Homeworld 1 because there were so few Higaarians left that it felt wrong to throw away any lives. When it’s pre-burning of Kharak, you need a different way to form that level of attachment.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ItBreathes posted:

I have to imagine Star Citizen ate up the whale money and made everyone else leery.

It's part of why I was so hopeful for Star Citizen at first because it had been so long since FS2.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I liked that a lot- I was similarly overprotective of my units in Homeworld 1 because there were so few Higaarians left that it felt wrong to throw away any lives. When it’s pre-burning of Kharak, you need a different way to form that level of attachment.

I still love the original Homeworld. I was also very overprotective of all my units due to the story, and would go out of my way to make sure missions got completed with minimal losses and maximized salvage gains. Even when doing so required massive time investments.

ETA: I keep hoping that Disney will greenlight a new Starwars space flight sim game. It's been 20 god drat years since X-Wing Alliance came out.

PremiumSupport has a new favorite as of 18:05 on Oct 15, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My Homeworld story ends with a giant asteroid blowing up my fleet because all my attempts to stop it failed. I ended up trying to just convert my whole fleet into kamikazes I was that desperate but nope.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I could just sit and order my fleet around in space, watching their maneuvers, listening to their radio chatter, for a long time. Especially Deserts of Kharak had great radio chatter, as I recall.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kharak had AMAZING radio chatter, you could zoom in on your little (giant) quad-cars and they'd be in the middle of a conversation about the war or whatever. It owned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Breach in starboard fusion chamber.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Kharak is burning :geno:.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

MLB The Show 2019 is one of the PS Plus free games this month.

Generally average EA baseball game packed full of deck building microtransactions for the online play, but one small thing I love is they included all the names from this:

https://youtu.be/oymWAeqv_-c

as voiced options in the Create a Player mode. Hearing Bobson Dugnutt being called to the plate never gets old.

I was at a friend's place and had some time to kill so I made the shortest, widest pitcher I could and gave him a 60mph knuckleball. It was the chillest game experience because I couldn't predict where it was going to go, so I just lobbed it in. Made me consider buying a ps4 just for that.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

ilmucche posted:

I was at a friend's place and had some time to kill so I made the shortest, widest pitcher I could and gave him a 60mph knuckleball. It was the chillest game experience because I couldn't predict where it was going to go, so I just lobbed it in. Made me consider buying a ps4 just for that.

if you give your round boi pitcher certain sidearm/submarine animations he'll clip through the mound.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

PremiumSupport posted:

I still love the original Homeworld. I was also very overprotective of all my units due to the story, and would go out of my way to make sure missions got completed with minimal losses and maximized salvage gains. Even when doing so required massive time investments.

ETA: I keep hoping that Disney will greenlight a new Starwars space flight sim game. It's been 20 god drat years since X-Wing Alliance came out.

I 100%ed pikmin 2 without a single pikmin dying. They are extremely manipulatable and many parts can be cheesed with olimar's fist attack upgrade he finds early-midway through the game, and the gamecube controller can soft-reset the console by holding 4 buttons for a few seconds. No achievements or social board to post it to, I just couldn't stand to see them die. The sad noises and fading away of a shrieking ghost was unacceptable. My friends still bring this one up even though it was about half my life ago at this point. There was a big learning curve but once you get reliable tactics down per individual enemy and hazard you just keep executing them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Olaf The Stout posted:

I 100%ed pikmin 2 without a single pikmin dying. They are extremely manipulatable and many parts can be cheesed with olimar's fist attack upgrade he finds early-midway through the game, and the gamecube controller can soft-reset the console by holding 4 buttons for a few seconds. No achievements or social board to post it to, I just couldn't stand to see them die. The sad noises and fading away of a shrieking ghost was unacceptable. My friends still bring this one up even though it was about half my life ago at this point. There was a big learning curve but once you get reliable tactics down per individual enemy and hazard you just keep executing them.

That sounds just loving miserable

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

brb gonna boot up pikmin 2 and make sure to get as many of them killed as I can

perfectly balanced, as all things should be

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you for saving the little pikmin, Olaf The Stout

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I refused to play pokemon, or many rts kind of games really, because units dying made me sad or freaked me out too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JPrime posted:

if you give your round boi pitcher certain sidearm/submarine animations he'll clip through the mound.

Ah, the ol' dirtball.