Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
are there legit sources for american support for HTS or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

What makes you think the Russians and Turks are enemies in this?

I didn't, it was more that the whole thing is so hosed I can almost half imagine that happening. And like I said, I've been up to my eyeballs in 16th-19th century Russian history lately, so it rubbed off.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I didn't, it was more that the whole thing is so hosed I can almost half imagine that happening. And like I said, I've been up to my eyeballs in 16th-19th century Russian history lately, so it rubbed off.

With all that knowledge do you think that the turkreich is still bitter about the caucusus being annexed by russia?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Suddenly, Sanctions. :catdrugs:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

This is tepid dogshit that they wanna pretend are crippling sanctions so Trump can tout them to the media and preempt a real sanctions package like the Graham bill from going through with veto-proof majority.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

cargo cult posted:

are there legit sources for american support for HTS or whatever

No. The USA designates them a terrorist organization and makes no distinction between HTS and their precursors like al-Nusra Front. The US repeatedly assassinated important leaders in Syria's al qaeda branches and set opposition to them as a precondition of any aid.

I don't most of the people here or in c-spam who say the US supports HTS or al qaeda would actually care about that. Generally them try and rhetorically conflate all of the Sunni Arab rebels with al qaeda and insinuating all rebel factions are the same. Often they will suggest that the American train and equip program started in 2014 was actually arming al Qaeda, ignoring all the effort that went into preventing exactly that from happening, and the speedy termination of the program once it was determined it was not actually possible to keep American trained rebels from deserting to al Nusra and taking their gear with them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Squalid posted:

and the speedy termination of the program once it was determined it was not actually possible to keep American trained rebels from deserting to al Nusra and taking their gear with them.

That program was dead on arrival because they tried to get the people who joined to not fight assad which completely defeats any purpose.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

well this'll stop the bombs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Regime is reoccupying bases previously occupied by the Kurds.

Tabqa Airbase : Reoccupied

SAR Flags being raised all over Kurdistan.

Al-Ya'rubiyah: SAR Flag Raised
Al-Hasakah: SAR Flag Raised
Al-Raqqah

British SF Troops leaving Syria

Journalists are leaving Northern Syria for fear of post-war regime vengeance.

Additional regime troops waiting for Americans to leave Kobani before they come en masse. Literally crazy that the Americans are driving out as the regime is driving in.

Tal Tamir is going to be a major item of intrigue this week as the SAA and TFSA are within 5 km of each other.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

anna ivanovna is dramatically underappreciated

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Woohoo!? Assad's forces are finally coming to the ¿Rescue? of the Kurds!?! All give thanks and praise for Assad?!?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Warbadger posted:

Probably not if it hasn't already. Decent chance the Kurds (and US foreign policy, of course) are going to be the only losers in this partition.

Hopefully Assad doesn't run his own ethnic cleansing campaign.

Uh, Assad realistically can’t ethnically cleanse the Kurds. To do so, 99% of the time, you need a replacement population to go in and take the now-unoccupied territory. Turkey has that spare mobile population, Assad does not.

Plus Assad and the Kurds have been on poor but acceptable terms the past 8 years. They have to put up a picture of Assad in all their businesses and get to keep their homes and businesses, a much better deal than the Turks would "offer" them. Plus they’re a pretty small minority so Assad can easily buy them off like he did with Syrian Christians, and I imagine he will do so. Idlib will be awful but I’m guessing the Kurds will be allowed to do their own thing after turning over the oil fields and putting up the "correct" flag and portrait. Hell they might even be allowed to continue doing schooling in Kurdish, although I imagine Arabic will be gradually and progressively more mandatorily reintroduced.

This whole poo poo was a debacle but I didn’t see it ever playing out better for the Kurds than this. They were never getting an independent country, especially after they failed in Iraq.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If assad wanted to genocidw the kurds he would have waited a while longer to provide aid to the kurdish cause.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Squalid posted:

No. The USA designates them a terrorist organization and makes no distinction between HTS and their precursors like al-Nusra Front. The US repeatedly assassinated important leaders in Syria's al qaeda branches and set opposition to them as a precondition of any aid.

I don't most of the people here or in c-spam who say the US supports HTS or al qaeda would actually care about that. Generally them try and rhetorically conflate all of the Sunni Arab rebels with al qaeda and insinuating all rebel factions are the same. Often they will suggest that the American train and equip program started in 2014 was actually arming al Qaeda, ignoring all the effort that went into preventing exactly that from happening, and the speedy termination of the program once it was determined it was not actually possible to keep American trained rebels from deserting to al Nusra and taking their gear with them.
so the extent to which the US "created" ISIS or al nusra or whatever was limited to turning iraq into a lawless incubator for jihadis?

did KSA/Turkish/Jordanian intelligence arm jihadis or serve as a prophylaxis for american intelligence to do the same?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Trusting Assad to just never want to ethnically cleanse anyone he feels threatened by, for any reason, is pretty foolish.

But it is true, that Assad has a lot of better things to do right now (like making sure Turkey doesn't annex even more of his rightful clay) than to gently caress around with something like that right now. The Turks, on the other hand, apparently don't have better things to do so yea...I suppose this is not too surprising.

I do wonder, tho, just what do those US troops, that are still standing in the way of govt. ones, think their exit plan is? Cuz at some point those airfields of theirs are gonna get taken over along with all the air support they can call in and at that point they will be royally hosed if they don't evac immediately instead of holding down the fort for the Turks lol.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

If assad wanted to genocidw the kurds he would have waited a while longer to provide aid to the kurdish cause.

Assad's choice is "Do I want to genocide the Kurds now, and lose big chunks of land to the Turks, or just grab land now and maybe kill Kurds later?"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Kurds have basically run out of people who they can even remotely trust, so it's not like long-term reliability of whatever allies they can find would be much of a concern at this point.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

CrazyLoon posted:

Trusting Assad to just never want to ethnically cleanse anyone he feels threatened by, for any reason, is pretty foolish.

But it is true, that Assad has a lot of better things to do right now (like making sure Turkey doesn't annex even more of his rightful clay) than to gently caress around with something like that right now. The Turks, on the other hand, apparently don't have better things to do so yea...I suppose this is not too surprising.

I do wonder, tho, just what do those US troops, that are still standing in the way of govt. ones, think their exit plan is? Cuz at some point those airfields of theirs are gonna get taken over along with all the air support they can call in and at that point they will be royally hosed if they don't evac immediately instead of holding down the fort for the Turks lol.

The SAA is not going to open fire on any American soldiers, surrounded or not. They’ll get the Turkish outpost treatment, and probably cut off from food and resupplies until the US decides helicopter supply runs are too expensive and evacs them. Most likely the troops will withdraw well before that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah when someone wants to kill you today, allying with someone who wants to kill your tomorrow or the day after is the smart move

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

CrazyLoon posted:

No one is going to stop US Forces from exiting the country. Despite the geopolitical stand off, Turks aren’t going to risk loving with US troops, and the SAA is already letting them by. The only ones who could interdict would be ISIL, and they’re not really in a position to do much aside from random killings and primitive IEDs at this point.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Assad's choice is "Do I want to genocide the Kurds now, and lose big chunks of land to the Turks, or just grab land now and maybe kill Kurds later?"

I don't see why Assad would do this. The Kurds haven't been totally friendly to Assad but they haven't overtly opposed him either. Genocide is actually a pretty demanding task, and is guaranteed to send the Kurds into open rebellion against him just when he's getting some measure of control over Syria.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Even with regime troops present, surely the Kurds still have a load of weapons lying around?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I don't see why Assad would do this. The Kurds haven't been totally friendly to Assad but they haven't overtly opposed him either. Genocide is actually a pretty demanding task, and is guaranteed to send the Kurds into open rebellion against him just when he's getting some measure of control over Syria.

Because organized and armed minority groups with an interest in self governance and recent armed opposition to the government are rarely friends of the dictator leading the government.

It's probably not going to happen right now, but at some point the Kurdish political movement or the Kurdish population will need to be disassembled or displaced. Assad seems willing and able to use either solution, if you haven't noticed.

^That is part of the problem with leaving the Kurds alone, actually.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 15, 2019

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Syria has been ripped apart and bled dry by war for eight years now, so it's not like Assad would have the strength to start and win another civil war immediately after this one has ended even if he had the inclination. He got in this whole mess by being too heavy-handed in his rule without having the power to back it up and he doesn't seem to be completely stupid, so would he really repeat his biggest mistake just like that?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

Syria has been ripped apart and bled dry by war for eight years now, so it's not like Assad would have the strength to start and win another civil war immediately after this one has ended even if he had the inclination. He got in this whole mess by being too heavy-handed in his rule without having the power to back it up and he doesn't seem to be completely stupid, so would he really repeat his biggest mistake just like that?

Compared to the groups he is finishing off presently the Kurds are small fry. He has the power to do whatever he wants with them. He didn't win this war by moderation, he won it by killing or driving out the opposition and is still very capable of doing those things.

He isn't going to just leave a rival faction completely intact because they formed an alliance of convenience.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Warbadger posted:

Compared to the groups he is finishing off presently the Kurds are small fry. He has the power to do whatever he wants with them. He didn't win this war by moderation, he won it by killing or driving out the opposition and is still very capable of doing those things.

He isn't going to just leave a rival faction completely intact because they formed an alliance of convenience.

Yeah, but it's also not entirely in his hands either. He's reliant on foreign backing to keep the war machine running and at least Russia has little interest in further instability, and would rather prefer a stable but weakened Syria that has to keep relying on them. Hence why they brokered the current alliance, most likely.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, but it's also not entirely in his hands either. He's reliant on foreign backing to keep the war machine running and at least Russia has little interest in further instability, and would rather prefer a stable but weakened Syria that has to keep relying on them. Hence why they brokered the current alliance, most likely.

that's a pretty generous term to use to describe what the Syrian Kurds seem to be accepting.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

A tweet a while back said that the terms for the SAA moving in was that Kurdish units be placed under their and Russian command so they won't have any independent communication or coordination and will spend their time surrounded by hostile forces. They don't have to be disarmed to be rendered powerless.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yup, that's the clincher. Kind of takes away the leverage the Kurds might have had to make the regime stick to its word in the future.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

Yup, that's the clincher. Kind of takes away the leverage the Kurds might have had to make the regime stick to its word in the future.

The lion of syria always sticks to his word! Assad or we burn the country!!/

Savy Saracen salad fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 15, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Savy Saracen salad posted:

The lion of syria always sticks to his mind word! Assad or and we burn the country!!

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

There is no way Turkey and Russia are at odds here, except if this is the most retarded timeline.
Most likely, Putin just clowned on Trump who is essentially an amateur in comparison. I bet that's all a deal between Russia and Turkey.

If we examine what Erdogan wants, its basically all internal politics. First, a win war, obviously. Second, need somewhere to put all those refugees because the times are changing in Turkey in that regard.
Third, that buffer zone. But in particular, making sure that there is never, ever a Kurdish state. Remember that Turkey is actively fighting the PKK and vice versa. Turkey bombs random dudes in the South weekly, and the PKK shoots or explodes people at a similar rate, and this will never stop. Erdogan could never accept a Kurdish state at his border, he would have to go to war or resign immediately. This is sadly a majority opinion in Turkey.
But that's mostly it. Neither genociding all Kurds nor expanding the borders are actual concrete political goals. It's all about those three above for Mr. Wannabe Sultan.

Now what has occurred?
There will never be a Kurdish state. Check. There's a buffer zone, check. And all refugees will be "returned" ""home"". Check. Oh and also, Erdogan "won" a "war" against the Kurds (should put more quotation marks here).
And Putin? He ends the war in Syria by kicking out the US, implying the US was the reason for all this poo poo in the first place, which is what everyone thinks anyway.

Literally everyone is happy except the Kurds, of course, and the US is completely and utterly humiliated.

This leads me to Trump. Either he is in on it, or he is not. In any case, what a colossal betrayal this is... I mean what the hell. Dismantling YPG positions just weeks before this invasion makes me think that he is in on it.

But on the other hand, this looks soooooooo bad for the US. I mean, the designated US ally gets absolutely hosed, and Putin and Erdogan basically throw "Israel and the CIA out of Syria" (yes this is how this is termed). And the best part, after the US leaves, we can all go back to good ol peace and fascism, showing once and for all who is the true evildoer in this world.

Further, the sanctions make look Trump even worse. At least roll with it and pretend it was your plan from the beginning to end Kurdistan without a genocide.

In short: Lol Trump

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

But it is. Russia is Assad's friend, not the Kurds' friend. Russia has made it very clear they back him in restoring his control over Syria by force and have been willing to get their hands very dirty in the process. Keep in mind the largest and most aggressive probing of Kurdish territory was performed by Wagner, which is a Russian military proxy.

It really just comes down to how far Assad thinks he needs to go to remove the Kurds as a political and military factor for the foreseeable future. He might just marginalize them - maybe even use them as a wedge in the sectarian divide if they play ball and cooperate completely. But he also might decide he's better off being rid of them (or at least those of consequence).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Warbadger posted:

But it is. Russia is Assad's friend, not the Kurds' friend. Russia has made it very clear they back him in restoring his control over Syria by force and have been willing to get their hands very dirty in the process. Keep in mind the largest and most aggressive probing of Kurdish territory was performed by Wagner, which is a Russian military proxy.

It really just comes down to how far Assad thinks he needs to go to remove the Kurds as a political and military factor for the foreseeable future. He might just marginalize them - maybe even use them as a wedge in the sectarian divide if they play ball and cooperate completely. But he also might decide he's better off being rid of them (or at least those of consequence).

Russia isn't Assad's friend either, they just want a forward base area in Syria and see him as the best option, plus keeping him in power is a prestige project at this point to prove that they can still wage a proxy war against the west and come out on top. And from that perspective they're right.

However, a strong Assad who has crushed all possible opposition is less valuable than an Assad who will still be more or less reliant on them for the foreseeable future, which is why they'll try to keep things stable but keep the central government weakened to the point where Assad won't dare to go against their interests.

Randarkman posted:

that's a pretty generous term to use to describe what the Syrian Kurds seem to be accepting.

Well, the Kurds are an extremely junior partner for sure, but at least for as long as Turkey is invading I think that an alliance is the most accurate term to use.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Too bad the Rojava project didn’t succeed. The bad guys always win it seems.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

caps on caps on caps posted:

except if this is the most retarded timeline.
I have some bad news for you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia apparently has MPs on the ground in the Manbij countryside, so it's not just regime forces in the way now.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Russia apparently has MPs on the ground in the Manbij countryside, so it's not just regime forces in the way now.

Yeah, the Russians are having fun playing around in the US base at Manbij.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1184107312690139136

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

caps on caps on caps posted:

In short: Lol Trump

Remember back when the chuds would froth about how badly Obama had let the US be humiliated when did things like follow diplomatic protocol in Japan or Saudi or basically not act like a roided up WWE wrestler when dealing with anyone? Even though Obama was casually droning the poo poo out of half the drat world?

So now they elected someone WWE adjacent and just holy loving lol is the US getting played left, right and center. It'd be genuinely funny if the consequences fell on Trumps electorate rather than on the Kurds and the Yemenis and god knows who else Trump's total and utter failure at being a functional human being is hurting all over the globe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

mediadave posted:

Yeah, the Russians are having fun playing around in the US base at Manbij.

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1184107312690139136

lol this is just sad