Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

First question, is that constant dollars?
Second question, who gives a gently caress about the median?

It's genuinely a better metric to use than the mean when there's extreme outliers like the ultra-rich. Slash the Gini coefficient in half and it's far less of an issue. But Trump doesn't know any of this or particularly care. It's just a number he can wave around to distract people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Angry_Ed posted:

Almost certainly not adjusted because of how much wages have stagnated since the 70s.

Also the unemployment only represents those actively in the workforce or recently lost from it so it's lying with selectively used statistics

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Or they could tell the district and board numbers fuckstains to pound sand and feed the loving kids.

Yeah. They should have done this. but it's really not surprising they didn't. Schools aren't really a liberal bastion of enlightenment and good ideals despite generally being a force for good. A lot of public schools are, either by district mandate or necessity, incredibly money-grubbing institutions which will do all kinds of shady poo poo to make a few extra dollars here or there. It might all boil down to property tax effectively limiting what schools are capable of affording, but it plays out in a lot of gross ways: like refusal to close for unsafe conditions, being highly litigious about any debts, failure to invest in necessary infrastructure upkeep, etc., etc..

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Impeach the pres.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

What is inflation?

poo poo is like crowing about all-time highs on the S&P 500. If you think that its significant in and of itself then you're as dumb as a bag of bricks.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

showbiz_liz posted:

They didn't even do that, they just let us take the regular meals and expected the balance to be paid later. And this was in North Carolina, which even then was not exactly the nation's most liberal state.

Which begs another question: these are public schools so, why do the lunches cost anything? Why aren't they just you know....provided along with the cost of the public school? This stupid poo poo in America where everything has to involve money changing hands is really stupid and we need to examine it more. Why was I at 8 years old expected to pay for my lunch at a place I was compelled by law to be anyway? Right? Let's look deeper here.

Ershalim posted:

Yeah. They should have done this. but it's really not surprising they didn't. Schools aren't really a liberal bastion of enlightenment and good ideals despite generally being a force for good. A lot of public schools are, either by district mandate or necessity, incredibly money-grubbing institutions which will do all kinds of shady poo poo to make a few extra dollars here or there. It might all boil down to property tax effectively limiting what schools are capable of affording, but it plays out in a lot of gross ways: like refusal to close for unsafe conditions, being highly litigious about any debts, failure to invest in necessary infrastructure upkeep, etc., etc..

Yeah see that's dumb as hell, and we should try to do better. But of course we're undermined by charter school assholes who don't want their tax dollars supporting public anything and etc etc.

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

The average American has one testicle and one ovary.

On average people unintentionally eat two spiders per year. This metric is skewed by one individual who lives in a cave, who ingests 14 billion spiders annually.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I'm suprised in the 30 seconds since I've seen this someone hasn't made/linked an 'Official Statement by the President: "Impeach the Pres"

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Angry_Ed posted:

No, it's not constant dollars.

The median is a decent single number statistic though. It's incomplete because it leaves out the low and high end, but for our current situation that's way better than something like the arithmetic mean (which is the one that says "Jeff Bezos made 10 billion dollars, 999 other people made nothing, the average per capita income was 10 million dollars").

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well, if you insist

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

bobjr posted:

If kids can’t afford to move out despite working of course the average household income will go up

Yeah I have no idea what data he’s talking about but multigenerational households will gently caress that number up hard.

It’s just safe to assume he’s lying.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

VH4Ever posted:

Which begs another question: these are public schools so, why do the lunches cost anything?

If they didn't charge for it most schools wouldn't be able to afford to serve it.

Also because the cheapest option for everyone, overall, is for parents to give their kids something to bring into school and not have the school provide it at all.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Do it. Push the button. No balls.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

VH4Ever posted:

Which begs another question: these are public schools so, why do the lunches cost anything? Why aren't they just you know....provided along with the cost of the public school? This stupid poo poo in America where everything has to involve money changing hands is really stupid and we need to examine it more. Why was I at 8 years old expected to pay for my lunch at a place I was compelled by law to be anyway? Right? Let's look deeper here.

The answer as always is because of tax cuts to help rich people. Especially when the local school starts bringing in non local kids to fill classes and the residents complain of their tax dollars being wasted.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It will never not be funny to me that Republican operatives and right wing nutcases made up all these crazy conspiracy theories about Benghazi and Hillary's emails because the average GOP voter falls for that poo poo and that poo poo WORKED! But what they didn't count on was the Republican candidate/President ALSO falling for it hook, line, and sinker.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Just a heads up, the hard dollar amount *is* the highest it's been, however adjusted for inflation it doesn't look all that impressive. It's also barely up a few grand, adjusted for inflation, from loving *1999*

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4280594-median-household-income-june-2019

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah see that's dumb as hell, and we should try to do better. But of course we're undermined by charter school assholes who don't want their tax dollars supporting public anything and etc etc.

Like you said, it's dumb as hell. But it also answers your question, too. The way it works is that poor areas have lower property values (usually) which results in lower funding for schools, which results in less people moving to the area and subsequently continues to bring the property value down. So the schools that need to be publicly funded for school lunches usually aren't in a very classic poor get poorer (and then charged for having debts in the first place) situation. It's one of America's favorite constructions: a gently caress barrel.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ripoff posted:

Yeah I have no idea what data he’s talking about but multigenerational households will gently caress that number up hard.

It’s just safe to assume he’s lying.

it's safe to assume the numbers are real, the fault lies in assuming trump is responsible for it when he's doing everything he can to gently caress over the economy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pasty Doughboy posted:

On average people unintentionally eat two spiders per year. This metric is skewed by one individual who lives in a cave, who ingests 14 billion spiders annually.

Median, not mean.

It's just... not all that impressive. We're finally seeing gains from the 90s, because the last period of real, sustained wage growth was right before the dotcom burst. It's actually not great if we're only seeing gains at what is almost certainly the tail end of a growth period and it tells us very little about overall trends. That number won't be interesting until we see what happens to it after the next recession.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Taerkar posted:

The answer as always is because of tax cuts to help rich people. Especially when the local school starts bringing in non local kids to fill classes and the residents complain of their tax dollars being wasted.

Which I mean really is the root problem for a lot of society's ills, right? Lots of people are just selfish, myopic children and capitalism rewards such behavior so here we are. I'm just saying that from the federal level on down, if we funded schools like we ought to be, this ceases to be a problem. That we have kids being shaken down for money on penalty of being shamed and starved is embarrassing. We should do better.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
I just cannot deal with the fact that our president uses social media in one day than I do in two months.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ershalim posted:

It's one of America's favorite constructions: a gently caress barrel.
America: The gently caress barrel is adjacent to the crab bucket.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I live in Ohio where school funding is voted on, and there are a lot of people who go “well I don’t have kids/mine already graduated, why should my money go to the schools?”

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Income != buying power

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

America: The gently caress barrel, which abuts and is part of the United States of America.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Saying the quiet part loud again. "Please equate this to the Hillary email thing, it's the only way I know how to win!"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/dlippman/status/1183859897366130689

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Pasty Doughboy posted:

The vast majority of Americans have more than the average number of limbs.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

bobjr posted:

I live in Ohio where school funding is voted on, and there are a lot of people who go “well I don’t have kids/mine already graduated, why should my money go to the schools?”

Yeah, this is the case in most municipalities in the country. It's one of the reasons that charter schools aren't always a bad thing -- democracy is, historically, kinda poo poo at fixing public problems because there's usually a direct personal incentive to vote against the public good (3 extra dollars a month?!) And if there isn't, it's easy to convince bigoted people that there is.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

VH4Ever posted:

Which I mean really is the root problem for a lot of society's ills, right? Lots of people are just selfish, myopic children and capitalism rewards such behavior so here we are. I'm just saying that from the federal level on down, if we funded schools like we ought to be, this ceases to be a problem. That we have kids being shaken down for money on penalty of being shamed and starved is embarrassing. We should do better.

Absolutely. It's just another symptom of the problems we face but it's also one of the most callous ones. Cruelty to kids should be something that affects most anyone but since they and their families have been otherized it becomes 'just' to regressives.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Sir Lemming posted:

Saying the quiet part loud again. "Please equate this to the Hillary email thing, it's the only way I know how to win!"

It was understandable when for the first six months of his presidency it was all about how THE EMAILS ELECTION WAS RIGGED BY CROOKED HILLARY THE EMAILS VOTER FRAUD THE EMAILS and Fox News did the same because that's all they had thought to prepare since they didn't really expect Trump to win. But it's hilarious that this is still, literally all the GOP can do, just a cold 27 years straight of but, but, but CLINTON!!!!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
This isn't exactly politics, but an interesting agricultural tidbit: pregnancy rates for beef cattle are precipitously low this year. This is probably because of the long winter and flooding putting stress on the animals, they then fail to conceive.

My dad is a cattle rancher, his pregnancy rate is usually around 85-90% but the heifers we just checked were down around 50% which is abysmal. The vet said it's widespread, low pregnancy rates all over the Great Plains.

What this means is beef prices are probably going to skyrocket next year.

edit: more like late next year and early 2021. These are next year's calves would mostly come on the market spring 2021.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 15, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

bobjr posted:

Can confirm this. The irony is that they're voting against their own interests since school district is the #1 indicator of property value in the state.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

This isn't exactly politics, but an interesting agricultural tidbit: pregnancy rates for beef cattle are precipitously low this year. This is probably because of the long winter and flooding putting stress on the animals, they then fail to conceive.

My dad is a cattle rancher, his pregnancy rate is usually around 85-90% but the heifers we just checked were down around 50% which is abysmal. The vet said it's widespread, low pregnancy rates all over the Great Plains.

Finally some good news.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Or they could tell the district and board numbers fuckstains to pound sand and feed the loving kids.

That's obviously not a sustainable solution, although I agree in the short term it is the correct course of action.

Schools are not sovereigns, they cannot print their own money, so they have to manage their budget carefully. If "lunch debt" is a problem, that money comes from somewhere else, and it's not like schools are flush with cash to just throw around willy-nilly. This means possibly diverting funds from maintenance, support staff, equipment, teachers, etc. The entire funding system is broken, and while that could take a long time to fix in a meaningful way, the one thing that could be done right now is for higher levels of government, either state or federal or both, to underwrite the provision of food to all children. If there's outstanding "lunch debt," that fund will pay it off, the school doesn't have to worry about their budget, and all children get to eat a proper meal.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Why does this guy look like Patrick Bateman and Paul from American Psycho? :stare:

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Hold up did he tell a joke? Like Biden's campaign is as recoverable as Hillary's emails? Because like that's a decent joke and now I'm disturbed. Or maybe it's Poe's law

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Suddenly $8 for 12 oz of Impossible Beef sounds pretty good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Pellisworth posted:

Good. gently caress the meat market.

Also the Beyond Meatballs at Subway are legit as hell and every time I go in there there's tons of people ordering it. The Impossible Whopper is aight too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Mahoning posted:

Can confirm this. The irony is that they're voting against their own interests since school district is the #1 indicator of property value in the state.

The current parents who vote against it also hurt themselves. I have a friend who teaches in a district where they removed a lot of buses due to the vote failing, and PTA meetings are apparently full of parents mad about how they bus their kid used is gone so now.