Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe the refs just hate Trey Flowers, cut him imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Does Detroit have a soccer team or something?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hand Row posted:

Apparently the rule does include prolonged contact to the neck. Still loving poo poo, but I’ve also never seen a defensive line grab the inside a lineman’s shoulder pads for that long.

That is a pretty standard pass rush move.

Get access to their chest, bend around the corner, accelerate around.

It is also an excellent way to stop the Packers favorite pass block tech, the hug technique.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I was mad enough after the Vikings - Packers game to post this in the Farthouse.

Darth Brooks posted:

This but they're refs and the caption reads ""We gotta flag that. If we let her stand it might cost the Packers tha game."

Yes, I'm still salty about the Phantom OPI's.

What seemed like a knee jerk reaction is becoming more credible each game.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Parallelwoody posted:

Does Detroit have a soccer team or something?

No

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lost season

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1184160597086232578

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm happy the refs helped the better team win

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Packers fans, honest question here, do you ever get nervous about the idea of what might happen if the ref help just dried up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MJeff posted:

Packers fans, honest question here, do you ever get nervous about the idea of what might happen if the ref help just dried up?

*shakes magic 8 ball* ask again later.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

MJeff posted:

I'd like more help tbh. One Super Bowl since 2010 is pretty bad help really.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

MJeff posted:

Last night was a gift, no doubt, but the Packers don't generally get ref help. See the Fail Mary game and the Eagles game this year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Leon Einstein posted:

See the Fail Mary game

lol, way faster than I expected.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1184180523150860288

There's the extra-strength hollow apology, because this time they're not even acknowledging the really bad one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I’m not sure any apology is going to suffice. They aren’t going to redo the game or give you the win so it’s gonna be hollow regardless

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The last time a game was replayed because of a ref screw up was the pine tar game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I’m not sure any apology is going to suffice. They aren’t going to redo the game or give you the win so it’s gonna be hollow regardless

No, that's the point. This is like I swear to God the sixth one of these the Lions have gotten. They're monopoly money at this point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's pathetic the packers don't even need ref help to beat the bears no matter who they have at qb

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

MJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1184180523150860288

There's the extra-strength hollow apology, because this time they're not even acknowledging the really bad one.

NFL exec- "You hate to see it."

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

MJeff posted:

No, that's the point. This is like I swear to God the sixth one of these the Lions have gotten. They're monopoly money at this point.

The Lions should be like Iowa State and have a wall of apology letters just to emphasize the bullshit nature of them

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

blackmongoose posted:

The Lions should be like Iowa State and have a wall of apology letters just to emphasize the bullshit nature of them

drat, how was I beat to this?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MJeff posted:

i dont really care about football too much anymore, packers have provided me with so much fun and winning, two super bowls that i can remember. two incredible qbs. im just happy to be enjoying the ride

5-1 bitch

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

nerve posted:

i dont really care about football too much anymore, packers have provided me with so much fun and winning, two super bowls that i can remember. two incredible qbs. im just happy to be enjoying the ride

Yeah it’s felt like playing with house money for a decade now. If the Packers never won another football game in the rest of my life I’d still be a happy Packers fan having enjoyed two Super Bowl wins and two HoF QBs.

Hell, at this point I’d be genuinely excited for a Bears or Vikings Super Bowl win. gently caress the Lions of course, but the Bears and Vikings are cool.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

smdh at any fan of any team that feels fortunate and satiated in a world where the patriots exist

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

PupsOfWar posted:

smdh at any fan of any team that feels fortunate and satiated in a world where the patriots exist

I grew up a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. The idea that a team I root for could win not just one but TWO championships is so foreign to me it feels like a biblical miracle.

In high school I had a teacher who was a lifelong Cubs fan. We used to commiserate over how completely hopeless our teams were over lunch breaks. I was so happy for him when the Cubs finally won a World Series. :unsmith:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MJeff posted:

LOL, just last week the refs tried to job us out of a win in Dallas.

I admit, those were bad calls last night, but your problem is with the refs and the league. The Packers sure as poo poo didn't force them to make those bad calls. We don't have an equivalent of Jerry Jones with special guest war criminal George W. Bush sitting in the a suite above the game making phone calls to the NFL office and poo poo.

BGrifter posted:

Hell, at this point I’d be genuinely excited for a Bears or Vikings Super Bowl win. gently caress the Lions of course, but the Bears and Vikings are cool.

Bears can only win a Super Bowl if they have a metrosexual head coach. Get rid of this Ditka worship bullshit. I live in the Chicago area and need these fans to learn to shower.

Also, gently caress the Vikings. No Super Bowl for you!!!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

LabyaMynora posted:

LOL, just last week the refs tried to job us out of a win in Dallas.

The weird thing is that the media tried to push a narrative like it was a close game and the Cowboys almost came back and won. Well, mostly just Skip Bayless, but how are you gonna say they were an onside kick away from winning when they lost by 10?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

BGrifter posted:

I grew up a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. The idea that a team I root for could win not just one but TWO championships is so foreign to me it feels like a biblical miracle.

In high school I had a teacher who was a lifelong Cubs fan. We used to commiserate over how completely hopeless our teams were over lunch breaks. I was so happy for him when the Cubs finally won a World Series. :unsmith:

gently caress da Cubs

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The Packers have been getting away with holds on the line for years, almost a decade, at a way bigger scale than any other team. I’m biased but I’m also right.

There’s “if you look at any play, you can find holding” and there’s what the Packers do grabbing in a guys frame

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

GNU Order posted:

There’s “if you look at any play, you can find holding” and there’s what the Packers do grabbing in a guys frame

Of course the previously legal move that Flowers was doing was blocking that technique, so penalty it must be!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

remember the short-lived reality show where dick butkus poorly coached a bad high-school team in pennsylvania

i looked it up (via PA high school sports records) a while back and apparently those guys became real good immediately after butkus bailed out on them, which i always felt was very funny

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 15, 2019

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

remember the short-lived reality show where dick butkus poorly coached a bad high-school team in pennsylvania

i looked it up (via PA high school sports records) a while back and apparently those guys became real good immediately after butkus bailed out on them, which i always felt was very funny

I remember it. From what I read, he didn't really coach the team. Just showed up on gamedays and for practices they needed scenes from. Some other guy was the real coach.

Butkus also left the team in the middle of the year when the show was done filming.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MJeff posted:

MJeff posted:

lol, way faster than I expected.

Oh, OK, so it wasn't a honest question.

GNU Order posted:

The Packers have been getting away with holds on the line for years, almost a decade, at a way bigger scale than any other team. I’m biased but I’m also right.

Haven't we already gone over this repeatedly in TFF? You're not even a new poster, you should know the deal already with that without it having to be explained again.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

MJeff posted:

1. My feeling on it is that it wouldn't affect the overall W-L for us. We've lost games because of bad calls, we've won games because of bad calls, and I've always been of the opinion that you have to play to win by more than what 1-2 poo poo calls will do to your team. And I think that applies to nearly every team in the NFL.

2. This does not apply to the Lions, who have been on the negative end of the 1-2 poo poo calls for what seems to be a statistically aberrant amount of close games, like, far beyond other NFL teams. We bitch about the Fail Mary and whatnot, but that Lions-Cowboys playoff game a few years back was :stare:

Also, I've tried to defend Bevell before, but Lions should have been launching it deep repeatedly against our trash backup safety.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

SOL > REFS

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

When the Nats win the world series this year I will finally know true victory.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

Haven't we already gone over this repeatedly in TFF? You're not even a new poster, you should know the deal already with that without it having to be explained again.

As far as I’m concerned the jury is still out

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I think it's cool that Green Bay is 5-1

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think it's cool that Green Bay is 5-1

:yeah:

Samadhi