Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think all these backup stories are in https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Vignettes-Vol-Chris-Claremont/dp/0785108122 and https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Vignettes-Vol-Chris-Claremont/dp/0785117288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aside from the story I called loving dark, the rest were in Uncanny (and maybe New Mutants).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Synthbuttrange posted:

There was a backup story in 'Classic X-Men' where Xavier's original paraplegic body still has his original conscious in it and he's just spending his entire time in a shiar museum/conference center while his young walky clone is out and about with his space-bird girlfriend and he just gets bitter about it. :v:

drat I want to read this now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Synthbuttrange posted:

There was a backup story in 'Classic X-Men' where Xavier's original paraplegic body still has his original conscious in it and he's just spending his entire time in a shiar museum/conference center while his young walky clone is out and about with his space-bird girlfriend and he just gets bitter about it. :v:

Maybe he can join up with the clone X-Men from that one New Mutants issue.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

There are a lot of these that I would consider some of the best X-stories ever done. Also, Classic X-Men is a kind of thing we'll never get again, which kind of sucks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dang, I finally found it. It was in Classic 31, but I definitely misremembered and made up details in my head though. It was just Charles being a sulky idiot because he’s just an idiot human compared to all the other aliens in the place, and it was before he got cloned.

In my defense I was very young and stupid when I read it

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 15, 2019

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Aphrodite posted:

Rogue touches their corpse I guess?

They did mention that it was theoretically possible for a power-mimic to step in for one of The Five, but that it hadn’t been tested. So now I’m imagining a scene where somebody has just attacked the Five, mortally wounding Goldballs. Rogue steps in to absorb his powers, they do the whole ritual, Rogue lays an egg, and a new Goldballs hatches... but he’s all Cronenberg-ed out and starts throwing around evil gold balls that hatch monsters or something.

In any case, I think some kind of backlash against the Resurrection Protocol will happen sooner rather than later. It seems like the type of plot device that is destined to be destroyed– “too good to be true.”

Rick posted:

Xavier's original body is M.I.A. It was infected by the Brood so Moria and the Shi'Ar made him a new body that was also younger and transfered his mind into it.

I mean you could probably assume they disposed the body but my X-Men Fantasy Booking always maintained that the original body is out there somewhere.

Speaking of Xavier’s brain, whatever happened with all that Red Onslaught poo poo? That’s about when I fell off the wagon.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 15, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The AXIS inversion magic turned him into a human for a bit then he went back to Red Skull when they undid it.

He gets captured, breaks free, captured again, they surgically remove the Xavier brain from him, and Hydra Cap kills him.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 15, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wonder if all these mutant husks are coming from Husk. Can she husk up a dna match to someone else?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
So this Xavier is totally biologically distinct from the Xavier that got killed by his surrogate son. Dead Xavier's brain was then jammed into a distinct clone of a deceased Nazi's brain and used for Nazi stuff, but then temporarily became a good guy/maybe Xavier due to nonsense magic. This Nazi clone Xavier brained Nazi presumably died at some point? I don't think this was the same Skull in pleasant hill but I barely remember that event. From there real Xavier was astral for a while but somehow got his brainsoul jammed into a genetically engineered bioweapon that was designed to kill mutants but rebelled and became 3 guys, well 2 guys and a lady, and then later on sort of kind of became Sephiroth? I lost track of the bioweapon at that point. What happened to Xavier brain Nazi? What happened to Fantomex part 2 and 3?

Comics are great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Red Skull clone that had Xavier's brain was killed by Hydra Cap. The brain fragment was incinerated.

The Fantomex/X stuff was just completely dropped when Rosenberg took over.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Aphrodite posted:

When they go to the moon Cyclops is thinking about the end with Jean and the machine and everything as if it was really her and not the clone.

iirc, pretty much the entirety of AvX proper (less so some of the tie-in X-books) was written as though the Phoenix hadn't appeared since the original Dark Phoenix Saga and that the real Jean Grey died in that story, but also everyone was somehow aware of the post-DPS retcon that the Phoenix was a separate alien force and not just a manifestation of her powers.

I get that the Phoenix continuity is fairly convoluted, and I don't recall how much the series explicitly contradicted (as opposed to just ignored) other Phoenix stories, but it was a weird and annoying way to approach the premise. in any case, iirc, pretty much all of the Phoenix continuity AvX freely ignored has since been acknowledged in subsequent X-books, so even if it was intended to retcon anything out, it didn't stick.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 15, 2019

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

What's the mutant status of Longshot, Spiral, Shatterstar and the X-Babies these days?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

bagrada posted:

What's the mutant status of Longshot, Spiral, Shatterstar and the X-Babies these days?

Longshot was created in a tank in the Mojoverse. Not a mutant.

Spiral was originally a normal human named Ricochet Rita who was tortured into insanity and given extra arms and teleportation magic by Mojo. Not a mutant.

Shatterstar is the child of Longshot and Dazzler and partially inherited his mother's powers. Could technically be considered a mutant.

The original X-Babies were the X-men of the time de-aged and then grown back up so that Mojo could mold them and control them when they returned to adulthood. They were all mutants.

The second batch of X-Babies were genetically engineered and grown in vats the way that Longshot was. They aren't mutants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Shatterstar is the child of Longshot

And father of!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aphrodite posted:

And father of!

We don't like to talk about that part. :doh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I doubt it will probably come up anytime soon, but have any recentish comics dealt with Carol Danvers relationship to the X-Men? She's not a mutant but she was pretty close to them and was part of the team for awhile in the Claremont days.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

jng2058 posted:

Spiral was originally a normal human named Ricochet Rita who was tortured into insanity and given extra arms and teleportation magic by Mojo. Not a mutant.

Shatterstar is the child of Longshot and Dazzler and partially inherited his mother's powers. Could technically be considered a mutant.

The original X-Babies were the X-men of the time de-aged and then grown back up so that Mojo could mold them and control them when they returned to adulthood. They were all mutants.

The second batch of X-Babies were genetically engineered and grown in vats the way that Longshot was. They aren't mutants.

Me, 5 minutes ago: I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT THESE STUPID loving CHARACTERS.

Me, now: Yeah so I guess I have massive holes in my knowledge about these stupid loving characters...

I know opinions have shifted on him in the last few years, but I guess I never gave a poo poo about Shatterstar enough to ever know this about him. I think there was always some hints about his origin in the early X-Force stuff but that's about when I stopped reading regularly the first time.

Aphrodite posted:

And father of!

And maybe that's best.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Well, dang. First Wakanda, now it's Mutants in Spaaaace!

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Skwirl posted:

I doubt it will probably come up anytime soon, but have any recentish comics dealt with Carol Danvers relationship to the X-Men? She's not a mutant but she was pretty close to them and was part of the team for awhile in the Claremont days.

It's brought up re: Rogue as a plot point in the newest Captain Marvel ongoing, and I think it's mentioned in Mr and Mrs X as well? But of those are very personal points and I don't know if there's much that touches on her dynamic with them on the whole, though.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Yeah. Captain Marvel fights or teams up with Rogue every now and then. Beyond that, they don’t really cross over much.

That said, the Captain Marvel book from earlier this year was pretty good, and it made Rogue look good too.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Billzasilver posted:

That said, the Captain Marvel book from earlier this year was pretty good, and it made Rogue look good too.

I'm shocked, shocked, that Kelly Thompson would make Rogue look good.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

jng2058 posted:

Aphrodite posted:

And father of!

jng2058 posted:

We don't like to talk about that part. :doh:

Thanks. I liked Longshot so much when I was a kid that I spent way too much money on a set of his limited series from the local comic store. Kind of glad now that I didn't keep up with things.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's cloning and time travel by the way, not getting it on with his mother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bagrada posted:

Thanks. I liked Longshot so much when I was a kid that I spent way too much money on a set of his limited series from the local comic store. Kind of glad now that I didn't keep up with things.

You should check out Longshot Saves the Universe by the by. It's a good and short mini.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah. Captain Marvel fights or teams up with Rogue every now and then. Beyond that, they don’t really cross over much.

I meant with the rest of the team, she was good friends with a chunk of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does that make Laura not a mutant?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ImpAtom posted:

Laura's considered a mutant due to her foot claws; technically Gabby isn't a mutant, though it'd be a simple matter to give her an extra power of some sort.

Also I'm pretty sure Longshot's luck powers make him a mutant even if he wasn't conventionally 'born' - I want to say this came up in later Claremont stories, during the Australian outback era maybe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If she's not part of the just announced Wolverine title (I know Logan will be the main character) I will loving riot, or at least not buy the book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no way that "can't have the same power as their parents" thing is still current.

That was a bullshit tax dodge not a real argument.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

If she's not part of the just announced Wolverine title (I know Logan will be the main character) I will loving riot, or at least not buy the book.

I worry they might decide Fallen Angels is her book so she doesn't need to be in it aside from wandering by now and then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I worry they might decide Fallen Angels is her book so she doesn't need to be in it aside from wandering by now and then.

Oh, I somehow didn't realize she was in that. I was thinking of it as the other Psylocke book. If Laura is prominent enough in another X book I'll rescind my fatwa on Wolverine.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I think the new definition of mutant is anyone with an X-gene. So clones are in. But Deadpool’s operation didn’t change his DNA, so he’s not a mutant.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I somehow didn't realize she was in that. I was thinking of it as the other Psylocke book. If Laura is prominent enough in another X book I'll rescind my fatwa on Wolverine.

If I remember right, Bryan Edward Hill is writing that which is a little funny as he's also writing DC Laura in Cassandra Cain over in Batman and the Outsiders.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I might be stretching here but does the fact that Cyclops, Jean, and Wolverine have connecting bedrooms imply they’re all together?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I might be stretching here but does the fact that Cyclops, Jean, and Wolverine have connecting bedrooms imply they’re all together?

I thought House of X #6 made it pretty clear they're all in a foursome with Emma Frost.

This was someone else's joke, but I can't find the tweet. I thought I quoted it in this thread but it's probably in a different one.

"Don't you ever talk to me, my brother my other brother, my father, my wife, my time displaced son, my daughter from an alternate timeline, or my wife's boyfriend ever again"

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Is it possible the 4th method of mutant reproduction is just cloning, nothing in Hickmans resurrection setup seems to preclude repeated cloning.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

HidaO-Win posted:

Is it possible the 4th method of mutant reproduction is just cloning, nothing in Hickmans resurrection setup seems to preclude repeated cloning.

One of the early Powers issues mentions issues the Apocalypse timeline discovered with repeated cloning. Unstable/defective clones are apparently a thing, although more so when you're trying to chimerise a bunch of mutant abilities onto one genome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HidaO-Win posted:

Are they gonna resurrect Joseph?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Are they gonna resurrect Joseph?

Come to that, are they gonna resurrect Madelyne Pryor?