Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Dramicus posted:

And how would you expect a normal person to know that? I'm afraid I can't say I'm up to date on genocide songs.

because a mass shooter literally used it as his walk-on theme before killing dozens of helpless people and it was all over the news.

and yeah, this is the exact same trolling dude did in the EU4 thread. I didn't gift him the avie but it's earned in blood (and soil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dramicus posted:

And how would you expect a normal person to know that? I'm afraid I can't say I'm up to date on genocide songs.

normal people do not call Turks kababs op

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

can y'all just go back to bitching about mobile games? it was much less embarrassing than trying to find excuses to keep using racist memes

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's because in the ongoing narrative of human existance where words are significant because of their context and past usage, referring to people as kebab means muslim, and the term derives from the phrase "remove kebab" which means ethnic cleansing and it's a whole thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remove_Kebab

Like it's not even a thing like calling Germans krauts or French frogs or the english rosbif, since there's not an older tradition of calling people that so far as I know and the actual meat on a stick from which the name derives is eaten by a much wider variety of people than the term intends to refer to.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

can y'all just go back to bitching about mobile games? it was much less embarrassing than trying to find excuses to keep using racist memes

Nah let em keep going, the faster they out themselves in the name of not being mad the better

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lum_ posted:

because a mass shooter literally used it as his walk-on theme before killing dozens of helpless people and it was all over the news.

You know it's terrible, but "mass shooter who was all over the news" is not a short list of people anymore. Not recalling details of them is not unreasonable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Agean90 posted:

normal people do not call Turks kababs op

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Dramicus posted:

I expect a normal person to go, "Oh I did not know that, I guess I should never ever use that slur ever again then."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

Like it's not even a thing like calling Germans krauts or French frogs or the english rosbif, since there's not an older tradition of calling people that so far as I know

What lol.

Kraut was literally the US wartime slur for Germans. Like Charlie in Vietnam.

"Frog" has been a derogatory term for French people for a long time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Which raises an interesting point; do y'alls subways have cell service or WiFi? The lovely trains in my town drop everything when they roll through tunnels..
Isn't the point of subways to be in tunnels? :psyduck:

Dramicus posted:

It's not necessary to know everything as long as you realize and admit when you've made a mistake instead of just doubling down.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if a person requires more than 2 posts to understand that they should use a word that's a slur then they are 100% mad that they can't use the nword, and should be belittled imo

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Chomp8645 posted:

You make a good argument that food- based slurs are common enough to be tame.

I feel left out as an Italian. All we got is guido. Nobody ever calls us, like, meatballs or something.

If it makes you feel better Russians have a nice slur for Italians. https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%BA%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA

catlord posted:

If you accidentally say something offensive, the proper response is "oh, I had no idea, I'm so sorry" and not "well I didn't know, so gently caress you, I'm going home" and bitching about how it's not fair to get called out for saying something offensive. The guy you were defending is a dick, sorry to say.

I'm sure he was informed that he said something offensive instead of being called a literal Nazi who's only goal in life is to spread right-wing propaganda on video game forums.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I fail to see where I doubled down on anything. I have never used it personally, I just wondered why it was such a big deal. But, please, continue to put words in my mouth.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Remember what I said about vultures circling for woke cred? Lmao blood in the water

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dramicus posted:

I fail to see where I doubled down on anything. I have never used it personally, I just wondered why it was such a big deal. But, please, continue to put words in my mouth.

Insisting that normal people use kabab the describe Turks after being explained why it's bad is doubling down op

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

catlord posted:

If you accidentally say something offensive, the proper response is "oh, I had no idea, I'm so sorry" and not "well I didn't know, so gently caress you, I'm going home" and bitching about how it's not fair to get called out for saying something offensive. The guy you were defending is a dick, sorry to say.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I took part in a genocide for Greater Serbja in the 90s and I have eluded international court ever since.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

Ok "spaghetti twirler" is a good one lol. I hope a Russian calls me that someday.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Poil posted:

Isn't the point of subways to be in tunnels? :psyduck:

Mountanous crowded countries like Switzerland or Japan have subways that go well below and well above the ground.

In my relatively poor Eastern Europe capital we got internet and GSM in underground subway last year

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

I took part in a genocide for Greater Serbja in the 90s and I have eluded international court ever since.

I find that unlikely.

you are however extremly mad about that avatar lmao

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Agean90 posted:

Nah let em keep going, the faster they out themselves in the name of not being mad the better

Well congratulations, you got myself outed. Now what's the next part of your "master plan"?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

catlord posted:

Not empty quoting this.

Also holy poo poo this mobile launch could only be going worse if it turned out one of the characters in the game was called Remove Kebab

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Agean90 posted:

I find that unlikely.

you are however extremly mad about that avatar lmao

Oh, you think I'm mad? *chuckles wisely* I'm laughing, actually.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Average Bear posted:

Oh, you think I'm mad? *chuckles wisely* I'm laughing, actually.

sounds unlikely

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Remember what I said about vultures circling for woke cred? Lmao blood in the water

tell me more about how you have plenty of turkish friends

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It took me so long to write my post because I was trying to think of a joke for a country to call dicks but my brain is under a cold and can't connect dots right now.

From what I've been learning about Russian food lately, we should call them all mayonnaise.

Chomp8645 posted:

What lol.

Kraut was literally the US wartime slur for Germans. Like Charlie in Vietnam.

"Frog" has been a derogatory term for French people for a long time.

Both much older than 1993.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm not joking. I'm 100% serious. In 1994 I committed numerous war crimes against the Bosnian pig dog, narrowly eluding capture and summary execution. For years I've been sowing the seeds of far-right ideology in internet forums, redpilling the masses. But I never foresaw myself facing my toughest enemy yet... cspam alcoholics.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Lmao if you dont have serbian genocide explainer on ignore

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

You know it's terrible, but "mass shooter who was all over the news" is not a short list of people anymore. Not recalling details of them is not unreasonable.

This was the one who wrote "remove kebab" along with dozens of other ~~sassy memes~~ on his rifles and played the song on his livestream, if that helps.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I hope my joking doesn't cloud the fact that I really don't think saying kebab is funny. I think its stale 4chan recycled humor at best.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Mountanous crowded countries like Switzerland or Japan have subways that go well below and well above the ground.

In my relatively poor Eastern Europe capital we got internet and GSM in underground subway last year
Cool, thanks. I didn't know that. I thought subway was always underground, because of the word "sub" (short for subterranean?) and it was only underground when I first learned the word way back in SimCity 2000. :v:

That does sound like a very useful thing to put in. Thinking mostly of the importance of working communications in case something happens, like for example a train breaking down so there are delays and you can contact friends, family or even work to let them know you'll be late.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

wait, so let me see if I have this right

5ish hours ago paradox announced that they're releasing some new mobile game to beta in certain regions. In those 5 hours, we've learned that it's got premium currency that you can spend hundreds of dollars on, that the game itself is just a skinned version of another mobile game already on the market, and that there's stolen artwork so it had to be taken down.

that's basically a bad mobile game bingo in one day, real loving impressive

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

How long did it make it?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
ive never seen someone walk back a position so swiftly

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
guillotine all mobile games

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Poil posted:

Cool, thanks. I didn't know that. I thought subway was always underground, because of the word "sub" (short for subterranean?) and it was only underground when I first learned the word way back in SimCity 2000. :v:

That does sound like a very useful thing to put in. Thinking mostly of the importance of working communications in case something happens, like for example a train breaking down so there are delays and you can contact friends, family or even work to let them know you'll be late.

I thought most everyone called their metropolitan railways their "metro system" and "subway" was more the american term that came out of the mostly underground NYC system? There's tons of metro systems that are mostly above ground or elevated, but no one calls them subways.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
But I am also legitimately a war criminal. I honestly fear someone exposing me in a dedicated QCS thread, causing admins to take action and finally put me before an international tribunal in the Hague. That person would likely finally get the respect they deserve both online and off. I've covered my tracks well, but this is my one weakness.

My assets will be subsequently frozen and I will never get to experience in app purchases on Stellaris: Mobile before I am justly hanged.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Paradox survived far longer than I thought it would from its humble beginnings before finally succumbing to unchecked capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

ive never seen someone walk back a position so swiftly

Are you talking about Paradox or the puppet master racist?