Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
remember, if you're about to attempt a difficult physical feat, remove your shoes and pants

and maybe consider doing that in the game as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

GreyjoyBastard posted:

remember, if you're about to attempt a difficult physical feat, remove your shoes and pants

and maybe consider doing that in the game as well

especially when grabbing the RCM cloak

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013

Barely portrayal because that particular slur is censored in both VO and writing
Unless there's some super hidden setting to turn that off...or my game's bugged

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So my 1263 cop got a Thought that gives him +2 Physical Instrument when not wearing a shirt so I am doing that. Working on Cop of the Apocalypse and Lonesome Long Way Home, but finished Anti-Object Task Force and Coach Physical Instrument, the aforementioned Thought that wants me to be shirtless.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I just spent fifteen minutes arguing with my brain before I even aquired pants. This is loving amazing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the communist thought is worthless

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

what does it do?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I've found one early area it helps in. +2 to the Volition check for asking Joyce for money.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Davincie posted:

what does it do?

+4 exp for leftist checks, -1 to Authority and Visual Calculus

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I am completely paralyzed, staring at the character creator.

Send help.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Hmm I seem to be missing out on getting skill points for reaching 100 exp - it just resets to zero. It worked fine initially but now I can't seem to level anything up. Any ideas?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Send help.

You can get a lot of situational bonuses for things you do in gameplay, for things like having an NPC be sympathetic to you for something you said earlier, throughly investigating a crime scene, etc. Your build goes a long way but there’s enough ways to shore up your approach you shouldn’t stress too much.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just build a character you think would be interesting, losing some skillchecks is just part of the game. Also some of them can lead to funny dialogue.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
...I successfully made a leap so I could retrieve my coat. That trapped me in an area which lead to my death from being told I lost my gun and then patting my pockets. Even though I had two +Morale items in my inventory, or so I thought.

I think I should go back and finish exploring the area near the crime scene for more information.

Hogama posted:

I did this before turning off the fan, but I had enough Health to soak the 1 loss and it came back to me as a +1 Health gain after I stood there dying for a moment. Also, turning the fan off right afterwards let me try again with a +3. Best to do it without the pants on, though.

I did try with the fan already off. (I also a moment later failed the same 83% VC check twice in a row.)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
So what do the skill numbersactually mean? I started with 6 int and can boost them a further 7 points, it seems like 6 is already quite high for skill checks, Medium 11 is 83%.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

...I successfully made a leap so I could retrieve my coat. That trapped me in an area which lead to my death from being told I lost my gun and then patting my pockets. Even though I had two +Morale items in my inventory, or so I thought.

I think I should go back and finish exploring the area near the crime scene for more information.

I did try with the fan already off. (I also a moment later failed the same 83% VC check twice in a row.)

Yeah thanks to my saves I had to restart. Seemed a good idea to redo the thinker but with 2 psyche and 3 motor instead of 1/4 because living with 1 morale is loving harsh. Interesting to see all the authority prompts I now get.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 15, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/di7ydx/disco_elysium_the_short_review/

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I'm fiddling around indecisively at the character creator. A lot of the time with RPGs I like to try and get creative with a build that fits a character I have in mind, but then in practice it doesn't work out. I'm getting the feeling from everything I've read that this isn't really an issue in this game - different builds will make things happen in wildly different ways but there's nothing like "haha yeah that character sounds fun on paper and it's a cool idea but realistically you'll be hideously gimped; if you're going to go for a scientist character with the repair and hack skills you REALLY need to spec sniper; yeah the beam sword works thematically but you just don't have the survivability at that range" or whatever. Is this a pretty accurate assessment?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What does this even mean, Inland Empire!?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

garfield hentai posted:

I'm fiddling around indecisively at the character creator. A lot of the time with RPGs I like to try and get creative with a build that fits a character I have in mind, but then in practice it doesn't work out. I'm getting the feeling from everything I've read that this isn't really an issue in this game - different builds will make things happen in wildly different ways but there's nothing like "haha yeah that character sounds fun on paper and it's a cool idea but realistically you'll be hideously gimped; if you're going to go for a scientist character with the repair and hack skills you REALLY need to spec sniper; yeah the beam sword works thematically but you just don't have the survivability at that range" or whatever. Is this a pretty accurate assessment?

Failure can lead you down amazing paths and give you perks you wouldn't have been able to acquire otherwise. Many of the checks can be redone once you get something that gives you a bonus to the roll.

So just go in, do your thing and see where it goes.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

garfield hentai posted:

Yeah I feel like in a lot of CRPGs you're balancing non-combat and combat skills and they don't really interact with each other, but in this case everything you do in the game uses the same mechanics so you don't have that problem. I only started playing it today so I can't tell you if some are vastly less interesting than others later down the line but so far everything honestly seems interesting and rewarding in its own way

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Having to double click to run is killing me. It should be a toggle.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Infinity Gaia posted:

What does this even mean, Inland Empire!?

A skillcheck somewhere else changes that.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Only about an hour in but calling in to report your badge missing and getting roasted by your colleagues is probably the funniest dialogue I've had in a video game, period

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Quick question: How much Drama or Encyclopaedia do you need to understand that snow does not contain "vital nutrients", especially not nitrogen and sulphur? :cripes: Because it seems like that should be a "0" to pass for a cop with "GOOD" Intellect.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

For the next person to randomly wander in to the thread to find out "Should I get this game?" here is my concise review.

1. Yes.
2. Yes, really.
3. Why are you still reading? Was "yes" not sufficient the first two times?
4. It is excellent, the writing is interesting and I love just about everything about it and also it is very, very funny.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Send help.
If you want to play Sherlock Holmes go all in on Intelligence.
If you want to be a drug smoking hippie, go in on psyche.
If you want to play Kungfury, go all in on Physique.
If you want to be Jon Wick and/or Dirty Harry or [stealth based detective I can't think of from movies/games, inset here], go all in on dexterity.

Also I got most of the stat names wrong but they renamed them from standard RPG names, despite them being the same thing except for psyche which is kind of like a wisdom/willpower/charisma hybrid?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Carecat posted:

So what do the skill numbersactually mean? I started with 6 int and can boost them a further 7 points, it seems like 6 is already quite high for skill checks, Medium 11 is 83%.
They're simply the base number you get for any checks on that skill. Attribute + Skill Points + Modifiers +2d6 checked against a difficulty.
I linked this before it came out, but just to reiterate:

I've already seen some PASSIVE checks of difficulty 17; a 6 needs to roll 11 or 12 to make that roll, which is only an 8.3% chance.
Much of the time the game doesn't even let you know you've failed a passive roll, but sometimes it does (likely to let you know just how badly you fared and why you'd want more skill points invested).

garfield hentai posted:

Go with whatever whims you have. A lot of the time you'll simply have to find alternate routes to the same goal. Your smart mechanic cop might be horrible with people but he's got solid logical evidence to twist arms and sleight of hand to steal his way past obstacles that can't be swayed. Your brute gunslinger cop can't easily analyze clues but he can just intimidate people into cooperating and muscle blockades out of the way if "diplomacy" fails. And you still have your partner to help out where he can.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks for the feedback. Pretty much settled on going with a "insane person who's just smart enough that people take his crazy rambling seriously" thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Psyche seems to be the most important one for giving you clues on what to say to people so far. Intellect hasn't come up all that much in conversations.

Edit: And Motorics, especially Reaction Speed and Perception.

Electro Chemistry comes up a lot as well, but you can mostly ignore its advice.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 16, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Hogama posted:

I've already seen some PASSIVE checks of difficulty 17; a 6 needs to roll 11 or 12 to make that roll, which is only an 8.3% chance.

i've found a 20 check for conceptualization, so they can go higher

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Pretty sure I saw a 21 check at some point.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Psyche seems to be the most important one for giving you clues on what to say to people so far. Intellect hasn't come up all that much in conversations.

Edit: And Motorics, especially Reaction Speed and Perception.

Electro Chemistry comes up a lot as well, but you can mostly ignore its advice.

I went into Intellect and Encylopedia, specifically, and one time it chimed in with the exact type of book Kim was writing things in and my response was basically. "Thanks, that's really helpful."

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah failure can be good. About failure and boules my Physique 6 guy failed a check to throw a ball, originally had an 80+% chance until I actually watched the old men play. Then my chance went down to ~40%. Failing had the old men say what a beautiful shot. My Physical Instrument on the other hand was disappointed in me. And now I get +2 Physical Instrument when not wearing a shirt.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ive been having like 5 encyclopaedia popups per conversation, its seems to be working out for me. logic also pops up a bunch but its mostly to guide me to which conversation option to pick

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Can you actually beat the huge guard guy if you pump everything into physique? I just avoided him entirely.

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah failure can be good. About failure and boules my Physique 6 guy failed a check to throw a ball, originally had an 80+% chance until I actually watched the old men play. Then my chance went down to ~40%. Failing had the old men say what a beautiful shot. My Physical Instrument on the other hand was disappointed in me. And now I get +2 Physical Instrument when not wearing a shirt.

Ahaha, if you pass that check you actually throw the ball way into the ocean, which pisses both the old guys off. Seems failure might be the best play there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there any penalty anywhere in the game for being a classic RPG kleptomaniac? There's tons of clothes and money lying around...

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Broken Cog posted:

Can you actually beat the huge guard guy if you pump everything into physique? I just avoided him entirely.

Ahaha, if you pass that check you actually throw the ball way into the ocean, which pisses both the old guys off. Seems failure might be the best play there.

Oh yeah speaking about that guy, who I have not actually come across. One of the old men mentions him, and my guy picks up how much trust the old man has in his physical capability. So my Physical Instrument chimes in saying this guy sounds like a good rival and I should go and slay him.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I went with 3324 and Pain Threshold as my Signature Skill... Seems to be appropriate for a Sorry Cop so far.

Lemon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 16, 2019

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Is it actually possible to find your badge?

This is like a once in a generation RPG, holy poo poo. This is how skill checks should work, and how to do a skill-heavy investigation game as a CRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i passed the skill check to not make my dude look like an arrogant piece of poo poo on my first try. :smuggo:

now he just looks incredibly sad.