Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also to whom it may concern, here's a guide to headshots on the weirder enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My Catchmoon does not care where its head is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It also comes down entirely to how much you love certain gameplay aspects. I really like doing spy missions and Fortuna poo poo, so Ivara was trivial and was able to just get baruuk when he was released without any extra effort. If you hate that stuff then eesh. :v:

Hildryn I bought outright because there was no way to get her beforehand for about a week I think?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah the first week she was in the market but exploiter wasnt available yet iirc

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSNeoman posted:

Also to whom it may concern, here's a guide to headshots on the weirder enemies

lmao that you just shoot it in the dick.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i bought hildryn immediately because i knew she would be dope as gently caress and it turns out she was

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same.

Then I bought her flexing animations to put on everyone.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Turtlicious posted:

lmao that you just shoot it in the dick.

The Wolf of Saturn Six has a weak spot right in his grundel too.

Mesadoram posted:

My Catchmoon does not care where its head is.

Mine does, cause then it shoots 4 bullets out to kill 4 other dudes.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Anora posted:

The Wolf of Saturn Six has a weak spot right in his grundel too.

?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

aegof posted:

Somebody effortpost about Baruuk, please, because I have not been feeling him.

Baruuk's innate damage resistance is absurd. 90% from his 3, up to 50% from losing restraint, and 40% while he has serene fists out. Investing in defense mods on top of that gives him sky high effective health, from the hundreds of thousands up to about two million if you go hard enough. If you want to chill out in the Ropapolyst laser or afk sortie 3 ambulas in between drop ships, he's your guy. His exalted fists ignore walls and are devastating for the majority of content in the game. His drawbacks are his 1 & 2 sucking and his fists not scaling against armored, level 100+ enemies. Also your companion will die all the time because percent damage resist isn't shareable.

To build him you want 225%+ strength, neutral-ish range and efficiency, and are encouraged to dump duration. He can tank using any of health, shields, or energy. Energy is his highest base stat and Quick Thinking gives him the highest effective health, but energy is generally harder to regenerate than health or shields. I prefer shield tanking with Redirection, Adaptation, and Arcane Aegis. The flat regeneration from Arcane Aegis is significantly better than the percent hp you get from Arcane Grace, due to low base health, and is easier to maintain with its 20s duration. Health tanking works fine and is the go to route without arcanes, just be sure to stick with Adaptation because you won't be getting anything out of fiber mods.

Shield Tank Build (3 forma)

Tennoware

For a health tank, swap Redirection for Vitality and Arcane Aegis for Arcane Guardian and Arcane Grace if you have them. Any extra sources of regeneration like Magus Repair or Magus Elevate will go a long way. Umbral Vitality isn't worth the forma and capacity hit considering his low base hp. The strength gives 23 daggers from his 3. Streamline and Stretch are flex slots, ready to be swapped out if/when he gets decent augment mods. Enemy radar in the exilus is very useful with the whole punching through walls thing.

Desert Wind (5 forma)

Tennoware

5 forma and 4 legendary mods is a weighty build, but you really feel the difference from having it maxed out. Sticking with a lower investment build will still feel fine, but leave you relying on your guns a little more often. When downgrading stick with raw damage, crit, and attack speed. Status is very low value, set mod bonuses don't work, and reach only effects the actual punches, not the waves.

Elude, his 1, is rarely worth using. It cripples your energy regen options due to being a channeled ability and both deactivates its defensive effect and doubles in energy cost whenever you fire a weapon, which is really bad. While dodging stuff with Elude is good for eroding restraint, having it active at the same time as his 3 will double the range of the disarming daggers which creates negative synergy as the disarmed enemies switch from spraying you with bullets to walking over for slow melee hits. It's also just not necessary to dodge stuff when the other parts of Baruuk's kit give him extreme mitigation with little to no drawback.

Lull is technically a crowd control ability, but functionally it's used with highly negative duration to turn energy in to restraint loss. It puts enemies to sleep, which is a weak control effect, and is both blocked by line of sight and unable to be recast until the previous instance wears out. Modding for low duration reduces the recast timer and enables its use as a spammable restraint eroder in crowds.

Desolate Hands is Baruuk's bread and butter ability. The daggers grants 90% damage resistance at or above 9 stacks and fire off frequently to disarm enemies and erode restraint. You might be tempted to dump range to hold on to stacks longer, but it's better to keep range at a decent level and benefit from the passive restraint erosion. 225% strength gives you 18 daggers and surpassing that mark is the ideal way to maintain stacks without having to recast too often. Daggers will also spread to teammates (but not companions) for half of your total capacity, so hitting 18+ lets you share up to the full 90% damage resistance amount.

Serene Storm is the the payoff for eroding restraint with your other abilities. You get exalted fists that fire off giant energy pulses that ignore walls and generally make a mess of enemies. Slam attacks, slide attacks and a few other combos have built in CC effects that are underwhelming. Mostly you're firing off single hits or short combos that mulch through everything in the direction you're facing. The fist weapon itself has sky high crit chance, but abysmal status chance that prevents it from making good use of Condition Overload and scaling against very high level enemies. It also only increases combo counter from point blank hits, which is another limit on its scaling.

Putting all the pieces together, his playstyle looks like:
1. Put daggers up at the start of the mission and refresh below 9 stacks.
2. Shrug off damage and shoot stuff as restraint erodes.
3. Pull out fists after awhile for mass murder fun times.

He excels at brute forcing any kind of tank check, but there's no place in the game where that is especially rewarding. He's still a strong general purpose frame because he has outstanding tools for both staying alive and killing lots of stuff, which is the most basic goal of the game. Like pretty much all tanks he can handle all of the games common content when paired with a strong weapon.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
As a 2-month old player, I think I also have some perspective from newer players.

The power of an account is based off not your warframe roster, nor your weapons, but from your mods. That means progressing through the star chart in order to be able to hit up some very powerful mods that are nigh mandatory on your primary rifle, primary shotgun, or secondary. Your power is also based off the rank of those mods, which is based on how much endo you've accrued through your play.

A newer player has a limited loadout of weapon damage mods. They're going to have the basic %damage and %elemental mods, but they're going to lack the multishot mods, the hybrid elemental mods, and the various nightmare mods.

The choice is even more limiting for their warframe mods. They are going to have the basic attribute mods for duration/efficiency/range/power. They're not going to have the corrupted mods that are necessary to really min-max their abilities. They're not going to have the Augur set mods that further boost attributes. They're not going to have the weird exotic utility and survivability mods like Adaptation/Quick Thinking/Natural Talent/Rage.

Therefore, if recommending frames for newer players, you'd go for ones that are tanky, have a large room for error, and are not reliant on these more exotic mods. This is why Rhino is such a good choice: with simple Intensify and a Steel Fiber mod, tapping the iron skin button gives you an instant 2000hp health buffer, giving a huge amount of room to maneuver.

Other "lenient" warframes I'd recommend, even if they're slightly more advanced than Rhino, are Wukong and Nezha. Frost is also very lenient, as is Oberon.

Even though Mag and Volt are "starter" frames, I honestly wouldn't recommend them to newer players. They are "caster" frames, and so are more dependent on having a good loadout of mods in order to use effectively. Nova I'd also say is tricky to use, even if I've recently fallen in love with her.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
The most lenient 'frame is Inaros, full-loving-stop. Dude has enormous amounts of HP and ridiculous damage absorption potential, and he's invincible while draining HP from enemies with his Devour ability. It's hilarious when combined with his Sandstorm ability. His Desiccation ability also allows him to channel his inner Dale Gribble, hurling cursed pocket sand in the faces of his enemies, blinding them and stealing their health, while sneering at their gold-fringed flags as he sweeps in for stealth finishers. Top all that off with Hunter Adrenaline and he'll never run out of energy, either, meaning Inaros will remain the God-King of the Deserts of Mars for the rest of eternity, raising a withered and desiccated middle finger to the Golden Skymen until the heat death of the known universe.

Also you can make him look like Pharaohman from Megaman 4, and the most important thing about Warframe is re-creating Robot Masters from Megaman.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
"He who is without mods, should spend more time asking for them on Discord"
- Ancient Tenno proverb

Also, Mesa Prime is MR2. Just throwing that out there.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Inaros' kit really fits his lore. You get him just a little set up and you see how he could just hold down a single spot forever. Forever.

Screaming Idiot posted:

the most important thing about Warframe is re-creating Robot Masters from Megaman.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I still think the number 1 best tip for newer Warframe players is just go on Public and do quests, especially once you get past Mars. Most players at this point are pretty decent, and most of the time you'll run into a level 15+ who will blow past the mission.

Also try to learn the movement controls so you can stay near the player killing things, even if you aren't, as you still get the XP as long as the symbol with three dots in a triangle is lit up on your buff bar.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yes, but Inaros really needs Hunter's Adrenaline/Rage. HA comes from Cetus Ghoul purge events (once every few week), Rage from Orokin Void containers (ugh). Inaros also requires you to farm ducats (fairly easy), wait for Baro (once every fortnight), and progress through a questline that can be quite difficult for newer players.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Inaros needs, like, twenty bucks because gently caress waiting for Baro to return from his Orokin derelict stuffed with cocaine and hookers, gently caress Denial Bursas, and gently caress not being an undying Martian God-Emperor with a shotgun.

Yeah, I know, it's bad to whale, but DE deserves the cash and Inaros is basically a cheat code.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Today I got to Mars (and reached MR3) and did a quest that took me to a very different looking zone. It was a sabotage quest in what I think was an Orokin facility, and it was the first quest that had regular enemies that didn't die almost instantly.

Anora posted:

Also try to learn the movement controls so you can stay near the player killing things, even if you aren't, as you still get the XP as long as the symbol with three dots in a triangle is lit up on your buff bar.

This is the main thing I miss since I switch to keyboard + mouse. I may kill stuff far more easily now, but moving around was a lot easier with controller. I may switch back to controller if I'm ever playing a melee-heavy frame at some point.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I don't follow many people on twitter but I just now saw this: lots of DE people stopped using it like 3 days ago, straight up no posts retweets or likes

something big is up

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DE releasing its own Twitter alternative.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Phobophilia posted:

Yes, but Inaros really needs Hunter's Adrenaline/Rage. HA comes from Cetus Ghoul purge events (once every few week), Rage from Orokin Void containers (ugh). Inaros also requires you to farm ducats (fairly easy), wait for Baro (once every fortnight), and progress through a questline that can be quite difficult for newer players.

Hunter Adrenaline is extremely common, and should be a near 100% drop from clan chat.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I don't follow many people on twitter but I just now saw this: lots of DE people stopped using it like 3 days ago, straight up no posts retweets or likes

something big is up

https://twitter.com/soelloo/status/1184197444814417924

Danielle posted yesterday?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Goa Tse-tung posted:

something big is up
Something big is up indeed - most of them are probably going heads down on the mainline for the end of the month. The main warframe account is still as retweeting/responding as usual.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Stop saying Ivara is slow. If you aren't supermaxing her ability strength while using the augment that makes her move faster in Prowl, which is an extremely obvious interaction, then what are you even doing?

No, really. Infiltrate scales. Her prowl animation actually adjusts with it. You end up sprinting in stealth. Eat poo poo, Loki. :psyduck:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just roll everywhere in prowl

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Goa Tse-tung posted:

something big is up

i think this week is also Canadian Thanksgiving holiday week

like, Monday was the holiday

Edit:

Malah posted:

Stop saying Ivara is slow. If you aren't supermaxing her ability strength while using the augment that makes her move faster in Prowl, which is an extremely obvious interaction, then what are you even doing?

No, really. Infiltrate scales. Her prowl animation actually adjusts with it. You end up sprinting in stealth. Eat poo poo, Loki. :psyduck:

yeah, she still can't get back to 100% run speed without some power donation or growing power shenanigans but it really helps

I think I'm up to like 87% move speed with umbral intensify, blind rage, trans fortitude, augur secrets, power drift but that's also with double energizes. Get maybe six or seven minutes uninterrupted stealth for vaults without pickpocketing energy orbs, but it's a bit more touch and go to perma stealth an entire map

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 16, 2019

Malah
May 18, 2015

It has to be the most contradictory scaling in existence, because if you're using Prowl then you by definition do not care about how fast you're going ... and, yet, here we are?

I have to wonder how long that interaction existed. I certainly never noticed until I could manually check the number going up and down on the stat screen, and it was actually because I accidentally left it on a loadout doing an arbitration and went "hey, wait, why am I going so fast in Prowl?"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Berke Negri posted:

i think this week is also Canadian Thanksgiving holiday week

like, Monday was the holiday

oh yeah lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Malah posted:

It has to be the most contradictory scaling in existence, because if you're using Prowl then you by definition do not care about how fast you're going ... and, yet, here we are?

I have to wonder how long that interaction existed. I certainly never noticed until I could manually check the number going up and down on the stat screen, and it was actually because I accidentally left it on a loadout doing an arbitration and went "hey, wait, why am I going so fast in Prowl?"

I legit never knew until the ability / arsenal rework went through and one day I realized the number on prowl was green mousing over it when I just had like 130% str or whatever

letting you see augments in ability tooltips has been a real good low-key change people probably already don't think we never had

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

this is the baruuk build i use pretty much always

gnoma posted:

He excels at brute forcing any kind of tank check, but there's no place in the game where that is especially rewarding. He's still a strong general purpose frame because he has outstanding tools for both staying alive and killing lots of stuff, which is the most basic goal of the game. Like pretty much all tanks he can handle all of the games common content when paired with a strong weapon.

Tulip posted:

phone posting is bad for effort, but here's the core

Thanks guys, I gave stuff like this a try and had some fun.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I knew about the Ivara movement speed but it's only effective for the 15-20 seconds you're actually in a vault. The rest of the time you spend teleporting between objectives and praying you don't hit one of the many magic invisible killboxes that DE likes to put everywhere. :v:

Malah
May 18, 2015

Why would anyone use Ivara for spy missions when Wukong is broken and available from the dojo? Mine only has two loadouts nowadays: Simaris farming and Arbitrations.

Unironically also why anyone complaining about Ivara's farm is an idiot. Nobody actually has to play spy missions anymore if you don't want to, just use Cloud Walker and ciphers.

Malah fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 16, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Malah posted:

Why would anyone use Ivara for spy missions when Wukong is broken and available from the dojo? Mine only has two loadouts nowadays: Simaris farming and Arbitrations.

He is a gross boy and I like the frog lady

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Using Prowl throughout an entire mission is also a really chill time. See how many stealth kill affinity bonuses you can get without the finicky stealth system dicking you over.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

kirbysuperstar posted:

He is a gross boy and I like the frog lady

kuva ivara also looks better than any frame and even when you can't be seen, knowing how you look is the most important thing

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Berke Negri posted:

kuva ivara also looks better than any frame and even when you can't be seen, knowing how you look is the most important thing

Heck yeah

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

if you don't care how you look i get that, maybe everquest or one of the zombie anarchy online MMO HMO threads are more your speed

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

curious how ivara prime in two months will look like

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Bunch people in this thread that didn't figure out how to do vaults in a naked rear end excalibur.

Like, just figure out the Corpus Vaults and do those, they're all like a minute long at most, and have SUPER clear paths to get to the end without seeing a camera, and only one needs anything close to timing.

Speed and a decent AOE are the best thing for vaults, speed for obvious reasons, and AOEs for knocking out Cameras. My three favorite frames for vaults are Nova, Equinox, and Loki. Nova with +range actually trivializes Corpus vaults in a way that makes the others look clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nukong is a relatively new development and there's no ciphers for sortie spy. Before that you could limbo and cipher your way through normal spy. You can always spoiler and cipher your way through everything there too. Once you know what you're doing in the tiles it's all easy and removing the need to have that knowledge in advance is why Ivara is so good. I bought her for perfect captures but trivializing sortie spy was a massive secondary benefit.