Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mirconium posted:

That says up at the top that this is a Ranting Echo Chamber so I'm gonna put this here instead of in its own thread:

Suppose you see some guy in a lifted truck on a highway onramp. He mashes his pedal and you realize he is "rolling coal". You can see plumes of inky soot owning the libs. You feel so owned your lungs cramp a little. Then the truck's rear promptly steps out under load because duh and it goes off the ramp and into a ravine.

I'm sure the STRENGTH of the sentiment varies, but I personally would think 10 times before calling an ambulance to pry his bleeding body out of the wreck. I'd do it. But I'd REALLY doubt the decision. I'd be on my deathbed like "maybe I should've left that guy there, I don't really think I did the right thing" Most in the audience should probably agree that rolling coal is incredibly idiotic.

Then you go on your merry way to your buddy's garage. He shows you his shiny new full exhaust system on his R1. That new exhaust system is on a similar scale of terribleness for the environment to rolling coal.

STOP DECATTING YOUR EXHAUSTS YOU DUMB SHITS

The common refrain for this is usually "It's only a 600 CC engine, it's fine, stop being such a prius driver."

a) wrong
b) gently caress you
c) you piece of poo poo

Good published research from the US on motorcycle emissions that is not sitting in a filing cabinet somewhere in the EPA isn't that easy to find, but like most motorcycle research, we can usually find helpful analogues from Taiwan and other east asian countries.

So, how bad are the emissions from a decatted 125 CC Sym made in 1992?

Chan, Chang-Chuan, Chiu-Kuei Nien, Cheng-Yuan Tsai, and Guor-Rong Her. "Comparison of tail-pipe emissions from motorcycles and passenger cars." Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association 45, no. 2 (1995): 116-124.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10473289.1995.10467347

(Cars 1, 2, and 3 are various 90ies vintage engines I4s, 1.6-1L in size, study was from 1995 so the cars and bikes are both newish and in good working order)

Headline numbers? An uncatalyzed 125 CC 4 stroke scooter produces ~double the NOx, 3-6 times the carbon monoxide, and 6-20 times the unburned hydrocarbons. The only metric where motorcycles are better is CO2, and here it is not by as much as you'd figure.

(California numbers btw, and California is a state with unusually onerous motorcycle regulations, show that motorcycles drive 1% of the vehicle miles and produce about 10% of the smog-generating chemicals https://www.latimes.com/news/la-hy-throttle11-2008jun11-story.html, so this isn't some weird asian problem, this is YOUR problem)

Keep in mind this is a comparison of 90ies car tech to 90ies motorcycle tech. Catalytic converters have gotten MUCH BETTER SINCE THEN. Euro 4-5 will make these numbers drastically worse in terms of a pound-for-pound comparison both of a decatted vs catted motorcycle and of a decatted motorcycle vs car. Keep in mind also, a 125 sym from 1992 is going to be one of the least noxious types of engine in terms of nitrous oxide emissions because it's tiny and compression is low. The higher the compression of an engine, the more NOx you should be expecting. And everybody who puts a full exhaust system on a motorcycle obviously also does a power commander to richen the fuel-air mix, skyrocketing the unburned hydrocarbons. Plus consider the engine size, 5 x for a 600, 8x for a 1000.

A liter bike with a full exhaust system and a power commander is something nobody has researched, as far as emissions go. But let's be honest with ourselves and say that it producing more than 20 times the emissions of a car in terms of NOx, 200+ times the unburned hydrocarbons, and 50+ times the monoxide is not an unreasonable estimate. 200 times. God loving forbid you take the cat off a two stroke.

The more contrarian among you in the audience may be saying: wull... wull... the 2 stroke still sucks poo poo even if has the cat on! Yeah. No poo poo. Stop riding two strokes, they're really bad for the environment. But also, yeah, no poo poo. That's why euro 5 is A THING. All those bigass catalytic converters that you're so happy calling ugly and heavy ARE MORE EFFECTIVE THAN THE ONES FROM THE 90IES. THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT. THAT'S WHY THEY ARE HUGE.

So the next time some BikeBandit cautionary tale swaggers up to you with his noise-violation-mobile and takes another 5 years off the lifespan of your eardrums, here's a helpful visual:

This man stands in a football field. Parked on the football field are 200 mid-range American sedans. He bought them, parked them, put them in neutral, and turned them on. They're idling. When he walks over to his bike he explains to you that he's rigged up a clever system. Every time he revs his engine, the engines on all 200 cars also rev. IT GOT HIM A WHOLE 10 HORSEPOWER. EVERYWHERE IN THE REV RANGE! He's going to leave them parked here, and go for a nice ride. See you later breh.

Get hosed

Edit/PS: I would only think twice, not 10 times, about calling an ambulance for a full exhaust bro though. Full exhausts are callous child-like indifference to the welfare of yourself and others. Rolling coal on the other hand is malice aforethought.

I will never read this long rear end poast :D :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

A sensible position. Also let's ban all motorsport.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Do they make 2-strokes with catalytic converters? How many miles until you have to replace them, like 100?

It is possible to make really awesome stock exhausts that sound great, my 250 Husky is amazing, and my FZ6 really isn't bad, little sewing-machine esque, but not bad when you step on it, plus it let's you sneak out of the campground at 5am to hit the road.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
nice wall of text but my bikes don't sound like poo poo

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Elviscat posted:

Do they make 2-strokes with catalytic converters? How many miles until you have to replace them, like 100?

It is possible to make really awesome stock exhausts that sound great, my 250 Husky is amazing, and my FZ6 really isn't bad, little sewing-machine esque, but not bad when you step on it, plus it let's you sneak out of the campground at 5am to hit the road.

I was actually surprised too, but apparently. Presumably the design isn't affected too much if it's after the tuned pipe. vOv

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Can we talk about unfiltering your posts to waste bandwidth?

dont call the tool an ambulance

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I was trail-riding at a pretty fast pace behind my buddy yesterday- he wanted to know if his exhaust note changed after his Rekluse blew up and he replaced it with the stock clutch.

I couldn't even hear the stupid tinny YZ250 exhaust over the bark, bellow, and grunt of my FE250.

Does anyone know off-hand how the gently caress the FE-250's 50 state legal? I can't find a cat on it anywhere, is it integrated into the muffler? Did KTM find some sort of bizarre US emissions loophole for small engines?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Elviscat posted:

Do they make 2-strokes with catalytic converters?
I worked on one, once. RZ350 from the mid 80s.

quote:

How many miles until you have to replace them, like 100?
There was a light on the dashboard to tell you when it was clogged up and overheating, so probably yeah.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Elviscat posted:

My Genuine Stella scooter (in my av) is an ‘08, 150cc 2-stroke and it had a catalyzed exhaust. It was also tuned super lean and restricted intake/exhaust wise to squeeze it past emissions. That’s a 1970s-evolved-from-1940s engine design - the Stellas were Vespa PX150 clones. The default move on those was to replace the exhaust and retune the carb basically to 1970s Vespa spec to get it running right - when I did it, it was a change from ~45mph to nearly 60 and what felt like 1/3rd more power.

They stopped selling the 2t Stella in 2009. Genuine’s Rattler 110cc was probably the last >50cc 2t for the sale in the US and I’m sure it was catalyzed. 50s are still around. They’d all be catalyzed.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I have zero interest in removing the catalytic converter or changing the exhaust/pipes on any motorbike I buy.

If anything, I love the idea of a quieter bike, and ideally would want an electric (but can't afford the initial outlay right now for an electric).

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I care more about my bike not being hobbled both in performance and driveability (surging etc) than I do about the impact it has on the environment. On this bike the cat meant the exhaust got extremely hot, on the previous one it made changing the oil even more of a pain. Both reasons to get rid of it.

However my next bike I'll probably keep stock as changing such stuff is expensive, there's a lot of misinformation about what does/doesn't work and even though my bike isn't that loud it does still make me a hypocrite as I absolutely hate it when other people make noise.

Elviscat posted:

Does anyone know off-hand how the gently caress the FE-250's 50 state legal? I can't find a cat on it anywhere, is it integrated into the muffler? Did KTM find some sort of bizarre US emissions loophole for small engines?

It could be in the pipe. For some reason 690/701 supermotos have it in the pipe while Duke/Vitpilen with the same engine have a huge cat under the engine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

High Protein posted:

I care more about my bike not being hobbled both in performance and driveability (surging etc) than I do about the impact it has on the environment. On this bike the cat meant the exhaust got extremely hot, on the previous one it made changing the oil even more of a pain. Both reasons to get rid of it.

However my next bike I'll probably keep stock as changing such stuff is expensive, there's a lot of misinformation about what does/doesn't work and even though my bike isn't that loud it does still make me a hypocrite as I absolutely hate it when other people make noise.

It could be in the pipe. For some reason 690/701 supermotos have it in the pipe while Duke/Vitpilen with the same engine have a huge cat under the engine.

A cat doesn't cause surging, the ultra-lean mixture used to meet emissions regulations and help the cat work properly does. Just removing the cat doesn't solve surging, and any steps that do help stop it work just as well with the cat still in place.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A cat doesn't cause surging, the ultra-lean mixture used to meet emissions regulations and help the cat work properly does. Just removing the cat doesn't solve surging, and any steps that do help stop it work just as well with the cat still in place.

The surging I mostly meant as a reason to perform a tune and, as such, not adhere to the regulations anymore. I've also read that fattening up your mixture might cause the cat to overheat and fail due to fuel burning up in there. However this might fall under the 'misinformation' part.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

High Protein posted:

The surging I mostly meant as a reason to perform a tune and, as such, not adhere to the regulations anymore.

Some great loving logic, right here.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Some great loving logic, right here.

How so? I'd say annoying behavior during normal usage, such as surging or excessive heat, is a more legitimate reason to bypass emissions soft- or hardware than marginal power (or noise) gains.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I was trail-riding at a pretty fast pace behind my buddy yesterday- he wanted to know if his exhaust note changed after his Rekluse blew up and he replaced it with the stock clutch.

I couldn't even hear the stupid tinny YZ250 exhaust over the bark, bellow, and grunt of my FE250.

Yours doesn't have a cat because catalytic converters are not required emissions equipment for motorcycles. https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=620bf9f924a835822fd4c718d18607cf&rgn=div8&view=text&node=40:19.0.1.1.2.5.1.13&idno=40

I think the more interesting question is how does the 450/500 do it because it also has no cat and has roughly the same emissions standards. I assume the answer is that they run super lean and sip fuel from the factory. 450/500s usually get 50-60mpg stock and when folks remove the reeds in the intake add on a more free-flowing exhaust or drill out a couple of the baffles in the stock exhaust and then put on a new ECU or JD tuner, they get 25-35mpg. I expect there's a similar increase/doubling in emissions but I don't know.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My transition visor came in and it sure is handy, though I'm sure it ups my dad scale. Also, I forgot how nice having a crystal clear brand new visor is, I should buy replacements more often (except the trans one is pricey)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm a fan of quiet street bikes and dirt bikes ridden on public lands and say go crazy if its for closed course.

When I have a bike that does both, which direction I lean usually depends on the price and how the engine performs with said emissions equipment.

The real halo here is electric bikes. They can't come fast enough.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I’m down for ebikes that are affordable but I’m not gonna pay double for worse stats than an ice

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It finally happened. A young American guy asked me which brake to use on his Honda Today 50cc, equipped with what looks like a 3" front drum, and when I said both he replied "My dad rides bikes and he told me the front one is super dangerous" and I had to patiently explain reality for a good ten minutes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slavvy posted:

It finally happened. A young American guy asked me which brake to use on his Honda Today 50cc, equipped with what looks like a 3" front drum, and when I said both he replied "My dad rides bikes and he told me the front one is super dangerous" and I had to patiently explain reality for a good ten minutes.

With the clientele you have, how have you not had that conversation already?!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

I have zero interest in removing the catalytic converter or changing the exhaust/pipes on any motorbike I buy.

If anything, I love the idea of a quieter bike, and ideally would want an electric (but can't afford the initial outlay right now for an electric).

Exactly this.

Plus loving with the exhaust too much means I’ve gotta gently caress with the carb more and oh my god just give it a stock tune and a stock exhaust please.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The front brake death thing was never a thing here I don't think. Layer Dan definitely lives in middle earth though.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

High Protein posted:

How so? I'd say annoying behavior during normal usage, such as surging or excessive heat, is a more legitimate reason to bypass emissions soft- or hardware than marginal power (or noise) gains.

Just the notion that by having a tune done you're not complying with emissions regs anymore so you might as well go the whole hog and do the cat too. That might not be the way you meant it but one of those things is much worse than the other.

To the OP re: keeping cats, I'm with you, man. I am constantly giving people poo poo on FB in car groups I'm in when they decat or ask about doing it. It's loving antisocial and for what? Ooh, I get flames out of my exhaust now!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
The main argument for quiet, efficient bikes is so NIMBYs don't realise you're out having fun in the dirt and get your local lanes closed

Can't wait for a lightweight electric dirt bike with over 100 mile range

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I dunno, my personal argument is that I don't like earplugs and I already lost about 20% of my hearing to being on a rifle team in high school, but to each their own.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mirconium posted:

I dunno, my personal argument is that I don't like earplugs and I already lost about 20% of my hearing to being on a rifle team in high school, but to each their own.

Electric bikes won't make the wind any quieter though.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah, but I like to ride earplugless around town and stuff, windrush doesn't get that loud til you're at highway speeds.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

what?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As someone who lost like 50% of their hearing to repeatedly ruptured eardrums, wear the ear protection. You know what’s even more uncomfortable than earplugs? Being deaf

Losing your hearing isn’t some magical volume knob that means you are less susceptible to loud noises damaging your hearing. If anything you’re MORE susceptible because you can’t hear it and how loud it is as well as someone else can

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Hold on though, didn't someone recently post a youtube of a dude having a sympathy crash with a Grom, and the dude was on a Ruckus and did an endo? I don't think I'm making this up. Front brakes are death levers.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hold on though, didn't someone recently post a youtube of a dude having a sympathy crash with a Grom, and the dude was on a Ruckus and did an endo? I don't think I'm making this up. Front brakes are death levers.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Are you ready for the dumbest crash(es) in motorcycle history?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6xZY9dZy6w&t=392s

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Oh, yeah, I mean that's why I like quiet bikes, if I'm just puttering around town, but I have a quieter bike, I can leave my earplugs out, but I don't want to lose any more of my hearing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Rex with the aftermarket (catless, but it was catless stock too, sorry chief) exhaust is quieter - for me - than the Weestrom was

It may be different for people behind me. But it's also obviously not an open pipe or anything dumb like that. My brother's first bike was a z750 with a farmer-rear end slipon with the baffles removed and it was loving obnoxious for both me and him.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mirconium posted:

Oh, yeah, I mean that's why I like quiet bikes, if I'm just puttering around town, but I have a quieter bike, I can leave my earplugs out, but I don't want to lose any more of my hearing.

If your exhaust is even vaguely close to legal then it is no risk to your hearing whatsoever.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

HUH?

My FE250 very obviously uses every single dB of the legal limit and it's just about perfect.

Some of the new helmets like the GT-AIR really do get even highway wind noise down to below the hearing-damage threshold.

I'm terrible at properly following hearing conservation guidelines, but I also get mandatory audiograms every year, and I haven't really deveated from the baseline I set about a decade ago so...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If your exhaust is even vaguely close to legal then it is no risk to your hearing whatsoever.

Weeeellllllll in the USA the federal motorcycle exhaust noise limit is (roughly, as it varies depending on the bike's model year and displacement) 82dB at 50 feet. Four feet from the exhaust pipe it's going to be significantly louder than that, and 85dB is the point where OSHA requires employers to make hearing protection available to employees as it will cause hearing damage with chronic exposure. It is possible for your exhaust to be street-legal but still pose some danger to the rider's hearing.

Of course, the wind noise over your helmet at freeway speeds can hit over 100dB so that's a much more significant danger than all but the most obnoxious rear end in a top hat exhaust systems.

Mirconium posted:

hearing loss is progressive, so every time you go out and ride fast without ear plugs you're adding another .02% to that figure fyi

I always wear earplugs unless I'm literally going around the block, and in that case I make an effort not to go past like 50% throttle. Maybe I am a little more picky about hearing protection but idk, I also work in a machine shop and fly small planes so my overall noise exposure is a lot higher than most of the somethingawful white-collar computer toucher crew

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 20, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My dream future motorcycle though is an electric bike with a microturbine generator on it so that I could cruise out to the woods on a couple gallons of diesel and then ride around in electric drive without disturbing the peace. Somebody get on this please

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Weeeellllllll in the USA the federal motorcycle exhaust noise limit is (roughly, as it varies depending on the bike's model year and displacement) 82dB at 50 feet. Four feet from the exhaust pipe it's going to be significantly louder than that, and 85dB is the point where OSHA requires employers to make hearing protection available to employees as it will cause hearing damage with chronic exposure. It is possible for your exhaust to be street-legal but still pose some danger to the rider's hearing.

It's also going to be quieter up the pipe from the exhaust outlet, where the rider's sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

My dream future motorcycle though is an electric bike with a microturbine generator on it so that I could cruise out to the woods on a couple gallons of diesel and then ride around in electric drive without disturbing the peace. Somebody get on this please

Microturbine aside (because I think it'd be a maintenance nightmare) I'm kind of wondering when we'll see an honest hybrid bike effort, where you'd pair a 500cc motor with a huge electric motor and lithium ion battery pack with a 1kWH capacity. Use the torque from the motor to get you moving/up long hills and the 500cc motor to keep you running.

I'd buy it because the worst goddamned thing in the world is getting stuck on a blazing hot summer day in traffic in a non-lane-splitting state notorious for its poo poo humidity levels. God, I'm glad I left Georgia. Riding up North here has been a loving dream and I'm literally looking forward to getting on the bike again instead of dreading the sun.