Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

I always figured given its tolerances and biology its body must be really exotic in composition, like silicon and mineral based.

Lots of fullerite-encased hurlantium, the dense binary fans of which are a notable delicacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I’d imagine you’d get sick, mutate, and gestate monsters like the dudes in Prometheus and Covenant if you ate xeno meat.

I doubt you could dilute it to make psychotropic consumables either. Once it’s in your system it’s slime city.

E: I forgot in the comics they harvest “royal jelly” from alien queens so they can make steroids.
For what it’s worth, in the comic “Aliens: Colonial Marines” (no relation to the game, predates it by a couple decades) it’s discovered that using royal jelly can cause crazy, Prometheus-style mutations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

For what it’s worth, in the comic “Aliens: Colonial Marines” (no relation to the game, predates it by a couple decades) it’s discovered that using royal jelly can cause crazy, Prometheus-style mutations.

But is there anything about how the Xenos taste?

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
So what happens if I rub it on my hog?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

You grow a tiny retractable mouth inside your peehole.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
:aaaaa:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xenomrph posted:

There's also a short comic in Aliens Platinum Edition (with fantastic artwork, probably the best one in the collection) that shows a group of reptilian aliens enter a hive to harvest xeno eggs which are sold and eaten on their world.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Xenomorph edibles get you high as poo poo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You don't know that.

You know, I do get a strange craving for lobster when I watch those movies, like man if you could just like lure those things to a vat of drawn butter and give them a few taps with a flamethrower before they fall in.. :distonk:

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Mister Speaker posted:

There's also a short comic in Aliens Platinum Edition (with fantastic artwork, probably the best one in the collection) that shows a group of reptilian aliens enter a hive to harvest xeno eggs which are sold and eaten on their world.

Holy poo poo, blast from the past-- that's the super short one where the art was all super stylized and kinda Heavy Metal/Moebius-y, yeah. I remember specifically being bugged by how one of the aliens had A) a three-tier bendy inner mouth with a stinger and B) a little pointy dick. Anybody?

E: Hey, found it. A lil' weinomorph.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 16, 2019

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Given how the head of a Xeno resembles a giant schlong, it should be a given that grinding up and snorting dead Xenos would give you a wicked hard-on.

I mean, that was the whole basis of hunting Rhinos to near extinction, right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SimonCat posted:

Watching "Chariots of the Gods" 1970. The makers of Prometheus must have watched this a lot. Skip to 1 hour in to see stone carvings of an Engineer who visited ancient South America.

That's a creepy landscape at 1:00:00 in the video. Cue it up there and spend the next few minutes expecting to see an Engineer starship parked just out in the open. I totally buy that the people who lived there carved some crazy poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Uh, does that second jaw have a knife?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I'd like to thank this thread for making me spend entirely too long today thinking about boiling a xenomorph like a lobster, cracking it open and dining on the sweet tender filling dying in an agonizing way because I didn't soak it in baking soda and water for 24 hours to neutralize the acid blood

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Code Jockey posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for making me spend entirely too long today thinking about boiling a xenomorph like a lobster, cracking it open and dining on the sweet tender filling dying in an agonizing way because I didn't soak it in baking soda and water for 24 hours to neutralize the acid blood

Per Ash in ‘Aliens, the acid blood neutralizes on its own after death. :eng101:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Per Ash in ‘Aliens, the acid blood neutralizes on its own after death. :eng101:

But you boil live lobsters in water. :ohdear:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Couldn’t you just shove a bottle of tums down a xenomorphs mouth to neutralize the blood and then roll them in breading and fry them? :thunk:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is from a while back, so sorry.

But I am fine with how Burke dies in the film. His final act is one of cowardice and putting others in danger, as he runs away and locks the door behind him. (It has been a while since I saw the films, but this is what I remember). And then he encounters an Alien, and whimpers before either being cocooned/killed off screen. Alone and unlamented.

Sure, the scene where he is cocooned, and forced to blow himself up would have been nice, whilst also giving Ripley a chance to prove herself the better person. It's fine the way it is.

Whilst I agree that he deserves to die, some people are saying we deserve to see him die, wheras I think he deserves to die a whimpering coward alone and off screen whilst the movie moves on with the more important people. But I understand where they are coming from.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst I agree that he deserves to die, some people are saying we deserve to see him die, wheras I think he deserves to die a whimpering coward alone and off screen whilst the movie moves on with the more important people. But I understand where they are coming from.

Agreed. Knowing he's in close quarters with a xeno is enough; it's a signifier of a terrible fate that's worse when left to the imagination, like 90% of the others we see (the worst of which is arguably Lambert's tapering, distant screaming in the first film). Cutting away from Burke keeps the tension/uncertainty ratcheted up while keeping the action going, as having the bad guy killed overtly would have pre-relieved all the tension before the already tense scene in engineering was over and the good guys escaped. If his fate is unseen, you imagine whatever awful poo poo you want to have happened to him since there's no way he's surviving outright. Otherwise the movie would make you flip to rooting for aliens for killing the bad guy right in the middle of rooting for the Marines to kill the aliens, and then flip right back. Him appearing later would also do the same thing, only in a different scene that's also built on tension and a ticking clock. Here lies Burke, thought of profits and died

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is from a while back, so sorry.

But I am fine with how Burke dies in the film. His final act is one of cowardice and putting others in danger, as he runs away and locks the door behind him. (It has been a while since I saw the films, but this is what I remember). And then he encounters an Alien, and whimpers before either being cocooned/killed off screen. Alone and unlamented.

Sure, the scene where he is cocooned, and forced to blow himself up would have been nice, whilst also giving Ripley a chance to prove herself the better person. It's fine the way it is.

He essentially died the same as Nedry in Jurassic Park. You don't see exactly what's happening in the Jeep but you're imagination is probably way more gruesome than what social effects could show.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

as having the bad guy killed overtly would have pre-relieved all the tension before the already tense scene in engineering was over and the good guys escaped.
This is something a lot of horror doesn't get. Dramatic things happening relieves tension, especially things that wrap up a plot thread. Even if the thing happening isn't related to the main ongoing tense thing it will still relieve the tension from that main thing. This includes things like: big explosions, bad guys visibly biting it, finally getting a good long look at the monster, A Humorous Interlude etc. It's not that you can't have these in a film, you just need to time them right so you don't short circuit the real payoff for a cheap thrill

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

pooch516 posted:

He essentially died the same as Nedry in Jurassic Park. You don't see exactly what's happening in the Jeep but you're imagination is probably way more gruesome than what social effects could show.

Nedry gets disemboweled in the book, in graphic detail. Like he full on holds his own intestines, it's pretty insane.

Aliens related, back in the 90s there was a Rhino Alien figure and it was pretty kickass.

Well it's getting a modern remake that comes out next May and holy poo poo

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember how in 2018's The Predator, the predators wanted to enhance their race with autism?

So they’re trying to be like goons?

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Nedry gets disemboweled in the book, in graphic detail. Like he full on holds his own intestines, it's pretty insane.

Aliens related, back in the 90s there was a Rhino Alien figure and it was pretty kickass.

wild boar alien or bust :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

paid money to post posted:

Can't afford 30-50 models as once

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

paid money to post posted:

You can see cops any day and they probably have a higher bodycount than the xenomorphs

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

thinkin about those xeens

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I had the original as a kid and a bunch of the other animal-variants. I remember them coming with mini comic books showing their origins.

The remake better have the spring-loaded battering-ram-head action of the original

Edit—oh wait that was the bull variant

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

wuffles posted:

I had the original as a kid and a bunch of the other animal-variants. I remember them coming with mini comic books showing their origins.

The remake better have the spring-loaded battering-ram-head action of the original

Edit—oh wait that was the bull variant

The Rhino Alien had the same ram-head gimmick. They’re both the same toy but with different extraneous bits and new paint - if you put them side by side, the core torso pieces are identical.

Same thing with the Gorilla and Mantis Alien toys - the torsos are identical.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Just like real life

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

TOOT BOOT posted:

thinkin about those xeens

:hmmyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Holy poo poo, blast from the past-- that's the super short one where the art was all super stylized and kinda Heavy Metal/Moebius-y, yeah. I remember specifically being bugged by how one of the aliens had A) a three-tier bendy inner mouth with a stinger and B) a little pointy dick. Anybody?

E: Hey, found it. A lil' weinomorph.

that looks Heavy Metal/2000ADish because it's Bisley

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I've been rewatching a few movies recently that happen to have Bill Paxton in them

Tombstone
True Lies
Navy Seals
Predator 2
Nightcrawler
Frailty

Bill Paxton was Pure and Good

:(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Laterite posted:

I've been rewatching a few movies recently that happen to have Bill Paxton in them

Tombstone Excellent movie
True Lies [
Navy Seals
Predator 2
Nightcrawler
Frailty

Tombstone - Excellent movie. The whole cast is really good and Michael Biehn is great as Johnny Ringo.
True Lies - Classic Bill Paxton being a complete shithead.
Navy Seals - Haven't seen it and had no idea Paxton was in it. Again, Michael Biehn.
Predator 2 - The classic Bill playing an rear end in a top hat. But he completely redeems himself and is a hero.
Nightcrawler - Haven't heard of this one.
Frailty - I just watched this a night or two ago and it's just so creepy. Bill Paxton plays an excellent dad who is completely insane (or is he).

Laterite posted:

Bill Paxton was Pure and Good

:(

He truly was. If someone asked me who my favorite actor was... I'd probably say Bill Paxton. I can't think of anyone else who has a decent range like him who is likable and you can also hate.

:rip: :(

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 17, 2019

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Watch Near Dark :cool:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He’s in this movie called the Vagrant that’s pretty hilarious.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Watch A Simple Plan. Sam Raimi directing Bill Paxton and Billy Bob Thornton, it can't not be watchable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nightcrawler is a kickass movie and Paxton was great in it

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got strong feelings about Deep Rising?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFEVXIyu00
'Cos I freaking love this film, and it feels like it would fit in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Deep Rising loving slaps. IMO a great blend of horror & action, with enough humor to keep things fun.