Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i just love how he comes right out and says that the baby should suffer from AIDS to punish the promiscuous mom (who, in this hypothetical, has already been "punished" with HIV herself). the pro-life right would be pushing for mandatory late-term abortions for all pregnancies out of wedlock if they were convinced it was the best way to traumatize harlots

sure thats exactly why they did forced sterilizations and outright stole thousands of babies from native americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I tend to agree with this, i live in the deep south so i know, and am related to, folks like this. While many of them are die-hard misogynists, i think cspammers (and educated online types, generally) underestimate the number of these folks that are either unable or unwilling to think past the most surface level about issues like this. Critical examination is a skill, and in many communities, especially amongst older people, it isnt simply a skill that wasnt taught or focused on, its one that was actively discouraged and stamped out.

I guess calling them "pea brained" was a bit too much, it definitely isn't just a case of inherent intelligence but a project to defund schools and overall just eliminate the concept of critical thought from peoples brains.

It comes as a given that most of us, by virtue of posting in a comedy subforum devoted to left politics, at least comprehend the concept of critical examination of ideas, but some housewife or gas station clerk or farmhand in the middle of nowhere? There's a drat good chance they barely skated by in the minimum required education, didn't absorb any of the lessons taught to them, and basically live life without any sort of critical thought.

Telling them that contraception will prevent abortions doesn't do anything. They won't make the connection between a prevented pregnancy and the lack of an abortion. They will be stuck in a mental lock of "but abortions murder babies", and think that you're trying to distract them by bringing up what to them seems like something that doesn't have any connection to the situation. Similarly, with universal healthcare and expanded welfare for families with children, they won't hear you go "well if you want to avoid murdering babies, you need to support these services so babies once born can receive the care and necessities they need" because, again, to their minds that doesn't have any connection to the situation.

Critical thinking would lead them to easily understanding this. Sure, many of them might also just hate women having the right to have sex, but many of them don't even think that far ahead - with the state of sex education in this country is it any wonder that stories of people who have no idea why pregnancy occurs exist? Unfortunately critical thinking isn't something you can instill upon someone with a few well-stated phrases (Sorkin BTFO).

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Religious indoctrination is a real thing and these people literally believe in angels and demons and exorcisms and completely batshit stuff that their batshit families were indoctrinated to believe too.

The guy who shot up the Planned Parenthood was a perfect example. He called himself a god warrior for the babies or some poo poo. These nutjobs are true believers.

Yes they are also misogynistic but they misogynistic in addition to believing that abortion is literally murdering children. It's not one or the other.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Shipon posted:

for some reason the floor i work on has only single-occupancy restrooms but are gendered male and female

absolutely no one follows that though, they're all treated as genderless bathrooms because why would it matter with only one toilet in each

it’s always pissed me off when a single occupancy bathroom has an assigned gender. what’s the point???

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Militant Lesbian posted:

The dynamic is... strained. Drag queens are generally gay men for whom their feminine persona is just an act, a exaggerated caricature of femininity they put on for entertainment purposes, and take off whenever it’s convenient. Compare that to trans women, for whom being a woman is who they are, all the time. We’re not pretending to be women, we are women, and just want to be treated as women. A lot of drag queens can be remarkably lovely to trans women about this, often treating us as just gay men who are just taking the drag thing too seriously, and not respecting us as women. Some queens are respectful, but enough of them are lovely to us that the relationship is problematic at best, and why trans women often don’t feel welcome in predominantly cis-filled gay spaces and clubs.

Just to add but it’s been established in the psychology community for years (even with the GID controversy but hoo boy) that being trans is an entirely separate thing from cross dressing. Most cross dressers are straight men that in no way actually feel a disconnect with their gender. It’s considered a paraphilia (fetish). One study a professor talked about suggested that cross dressers tend to skew to more traditionally “masculine” types in careers like the military, police, and firefighting. And cross dressers tend to display an extremely exaggerated feminine personality, but not because they actually want to be that, but because they get a kind of enjoyment sexual or not from playing a role. Trans people even when doing similar things superficially aren’t doing it for the same reasons at all.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nottherealaborn posted:

it’s always pissed me off when a single occupancy bathroom has an assigned gender. what’s the point???

Oh my god every country gas station.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nottherealaborn posted:

the mens room will of course be significantly dirtier than the womens room

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

BraveUlysses posted:

But probably have less piss on the seat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BraveUlysses posted:

I used to clean bathrooms as part of a lovely retail job.

This is NOT guaranteed.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BraveUlysses posted:

Adorable post.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Nottherealaborn posted:

most likely the same supposed rationale of bathroom bills-- a man might go in there, wait for a woman to enter, and lock the door and rape her? i mean, rapists aren't gunna adhere to gender designations but you might argue a dude going into a unisex bathroom is unremarkable, while a dude going into a ladies' room might be noticed, and that's a kind of deterrent

im a guy, so im hesitant to dismiss that kind of fear outright.* but it becomes a completely incoherent, ignorant argument in the context of trans folks

* i sometimes wonder if maybe we progressives should more seriously consider with some of the crazy poo poo deep-red cons say in the culture wars --- like, in the same way we should seriously consider trump calling everyone else crooked and stupid. maybe in some of these shithole states a bunch of men would just strut into ladies' rooms, claiming to be trans, and proceed to peep and assault the women, if they (erroneously) thought there was a loophole that made it legal. maybe the people warning us are the ones who know, deep in their heart, that they'd totally be the ones doing that?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

most likely the same supposed rationale of bathroom bills-- a man might go in there, wait for a woman to enter, and lock the door and rape her? i mean, rapists aren't gunna adhere to gender designations but you might argue a dude going into a unisex bathroom is unremarkable, while a dude going into a ladies' room might be noticed, and that's a kind of deterrent

im a guy, so im hesitant to dismiss that kind of fear outright.* but it becomes a completely incoherent, ignorant argument in the context of trans folks

* i sometimes wonder if maybe we progressives should more seriously consider with some of the crazy poo poo deep-red cons say in the culture wars --- like, in the same way we should seriously consider trump calling everyone else crooked and stupid. maybe in some of these shithole states a bunch of men would just strut into ladies' rooms, claiming to be trans, and proceed to peep and assault the women, if they (erroneously) thought there was a loophole that made it legal. maybe the people warning us are the ones who know, deep in their heart, that they'd totally be the ones doing that?

Don't worry, those guys who think there's a loophole will never, ever even sort of look like a trans person. It'll be obvious that they're just rapist dipshits long before they set foot in a woman's restroom.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I used to clean bathrooms as part of a lovely retail job.

This is NOT guaranteed.

i too have done this job and statistically speaking the mens room was usually worse

Resting Lich Face posted:

But probably have less piss on the seat.

doubt it, theres a loving shitload of idiot men who just piss in a toilet without lifting the seat, which means of course there's piss all over it

and fat loving dudes who have asses so big they leave poo poo stains on the back edge of the seat

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

BraveUlysses posted:

and fat loving dudes who have asses so big they leave poo poo stains on the back edge of the seat

how dare you disrespect the office of the president

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My experience with cleaning restrooms isnthat the men's is consistently dirtier, but the women's room is capable of being much nastier when it's at it's worse compared to the men's at it's worse

Dickbutt Ouroboros
Nov 13, 2002

handbandit?
Son of a bitch!

BraveUlysses posted:

i too have done this job and statistically speaking the mens room was usually worse

doubt it, theres a loving shitload of idiot men who just piss in a toilet without lifting the seat, which means of course there's piss all over it

Hey now, some of us are just aggressive shitters and get splashback!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dickbutt Ouroboros posted:

Hey now, some of us are just aggressive shitters and get splashback!

hey skidmarker

splashback is on the bottom of the seat bruh

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC you're literally more likely to be sexually harassed by a Republican politician than by a trans person in public bathtrooms

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

BraveUlysses posted:

So let me enlighten you on a very common phenomena in the ladies room: the accursed hoverbitch.

Hoverbitch doesn't understand that skin is real good at keeping bad stuff out so she's convinced that sitting on the toilet seat will give her some horrible jungle disease or some poo poo. To remedy this hoverbitch decides to awkwardly squat over the toilet. This is difficult; as sometimes a piss takes a while and to squat at the height of a public toilet requires some real strong thighs to do so steadily which most don't have. Hoverbitch pisses ALL over the seat in the process.

I have to wipe piss off the seat almost every time I use a public restroom.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thank you for naming this woman I have hated for so many years

Now I can finally execute my revenge

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao nooo

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

there we go

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

And yet these same bigots didn't have a problem with men and women using the same toilets just a generation ago.

Always just an excuse to for bigots to hurt people.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

So let me enlighten you on a very common phenomena in the ladies room: the accursed hoverbitch.

Hoverbitch doesn't understand that skin is real good at keeping bad stuff out so she's convinced that sitting on the toilet seat will give her some horrible jungle disease or some poo poo. To remedy this hoverbitch decides to awkwardly squat over the toilet. This is difficult; as sometimes a piss takes a while and to squat at the height of a public toilet requires some real strong thighs to do so steadily which most don't have. Hoverbitch pisses ALL over the seat in the process.

Why do you wipe it if your skin is so great? :smug:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Don't shame me for not wanting to put my rear end on a toilet seat.

I'm a guy though, so there's a lot more control over where the piss goes...

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

OhFunny posted:

I'm a guy though, so there's a lot more control over where the piss goes...

Is it though?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Shipon posted:

I guess calling them "pea brained" was a bit too much, it definitely isn't just a case of inherent intelligence but a project to defund schools and overall just eliminate the concept of critical thought from peoples brains.

It comes as a given that most of us, by virtue of posting in a comedy subforum devoted to left politics, at least comprehend the concept of critical examination of ideas, but some housewife or gas station clerk or farmhand in the middle of nowhere? There's a drat good chance they barely skated by in the minimum required education, didn't absorb any of the lessons taught to them, and basically live life without any sort of critical thought.

Telling them that contraception will prevent abortions doesn't do anything. They won't make the connection between a prevented pregnancy and the lack of an abortion. They will be stuck in a mental lock of "but abortions murder babies", and think that you're trying to distract them by bringing up what to them seems like something that doesn't have any connection to the situation. Similarly, with universal healthcare and expanded welfare for families with children, they won't hear you go "well if you want to avoid murdering babies, you need to support these services so babies once born can receive the care and necessities they need" because, again, to their minds that doesn't have any connection to the situation.

Critical thinking would lead them to easily understanding this. Sure, many of them might also just hate women having the right to have sex, but many of them don't even think that far ahead - with the state of sex education in this country is it any wonder that stories of people who have no idea why pregnancy occurs exist? Unfortunately critical thinking isn't something you can instill upon someone with a few well-stated phrases (Sorkin BTFO).

i think you're underestimating people here a bit. i know that the system has damaged the courage of our minds, but i've found that seriously talking to regular people like they're adults (even talking to children like they're children is a bad idea) tends to yield at least mildly positive results. i don't think its so much an issue with critical thinking and it more has to do with education and the media hammering you into a shape that fits into modern day capitalism. most people have never been exposed to an actual left argument, they haven't even imagined alternatives to the way things are because a vast amount of money is spent every day to discourage that sort of thinking. i don't think their minds need to be changed so much as they just need to be exposed to an alternative viewpoint, especially on a personal basis. its the hardest way to do things, imo, but it gets the best results

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
hoverdouche is a thing too. thats when you go into the mens room and find out bomber brown wasnt on target and there is either poo poo or poo poo smear from the poo hitting the seat and rolling in.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That would not surprised me but I'd figure it's more dudes too fat to know where their butthole is

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The trick is roundhouse kicking the seat off to pee freely.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

maybe in some of these shithole states a bunch of men would just strut into ladies' rooms, claiming to be trans, and proceed to peep and assault the women, if they (erroneously) thought there was a loophole that made it legal. maybe the people warning us are the ones who know, deep in their heart, that they'd totally be the ones doing that?

yeah that's basically the case

like when mike huckabee made a joke about "if i knew i could just pretend to be a lady, i would have spent a lot more time in the girls' shower in high school" and a lot of people in the audience laughed too hard or just straight up agreed with him

or when some other unhinged dude (the name escapes me, i think it was a duck dynasty person?) went on a rant about how he hoped the liberals DID take all the guns away, so that some violent burglar could break into liberal's homes and murder them and rape their wives & kids

the 2016 RNC was wild. it was the mask coming off with the exultation of a person that truly believes they don't have to hide anything any more

i think it has to do with the uncritical nature of their upbringing - if you're only ever told "worship god or else YOU GO TO HELL" that sets the expectation that the only reason to do a thing is to avoid a punishment / horrible fate, which then inhibits people from realizing there's better reasons we don't all indulge in psychopathic murderer fantasies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And yet these same bigots didn't have a problem with men and women using the same toilets just a generation ago.

Always just an excuse to for bigots to hurt people.

ah yes, the three genders

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shipon posted:

This is like those cletus safaris and you're the reporter going "please tell me more about your very real economic anxiety -- sir, sir-- please stop sieg heiling it's ruining the video copy, here I want you to say that the jobs are gone because you believe the elites in Washington have abandoned traditional American values"

They don't care about saving babies, they care about hurting the people that their authority-worshiping theocratic worldview tells them are supposed to be hurting.

quote:

I voted for him, and he’s the one who’s doing this...I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting

They're not too stupid to know GOP policies hurt people, that's why they like the GOP.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yes but those are different people from the insane hyper-religious types that believe they're god warriors for the babies. Again, it's not either/or.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes but those are different people from the insane hyper-religious types that believe they're god warriors for the babies. Again, it's not either/or.

The great thing about conservatism is that you can hold mutually contradictory concepts in your head forever, by just breaking the world into good guys and bad guys.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Brother Entropy posted:

ah yes, the three genders

they didn't mind "colored" men and women sharing the same restrooms

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Suspicious posted:

they didn't mind "colored" men and women sharing the same restrooms

They don't see non whites as human. They see (white) women as human, but property. They believe they're inherently correct and morally right snout all things and as a matter of course that anyone that isn't them is Evil™. They're all going to watch the next American holocaust unfold gleefully.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JoelJoel posted:

They don't see non whites as human. They see (white) women as human, but property. They believe they're inherently correct and morally right snout all things and as a matter of course that anyone that isn't them is Evil™. They're all going to watch the next American holocaust unfold gleefully.

in louisiana i've heard people refer to the children in black families as "litters"

you know, like dogs or cats

i am never ever moving back to louisiana

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in louisiana i've heard people refer to the children in black families as "litters"

you know, like dogs or cats

i am never ever moving back to louisiana
But HPH, don't you miss having swamp rear end for ten months out of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you just wad a lil bit of toilet paper and slide it into your crack, like a sponge

really cuts down on the smell