Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
Could you even get dressed with just that?
I will try this for certain next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Idea: I level up to lotion as much as my 1 rateing allows me to to improve my morale
Result: It joins in with perception and visual calculus to tell me I suck.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I have two achievements now. I'm the best cop.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I can't loving believe that of all my skills the one that deals with technology is reprimanding me

goty

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

chaosapiant posted:

Also a heads up, you don't even need to use all your points it looks like. You could do a 1/1/1/1 if you really want to.
You need a signature skill though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay I done hosed up real bad and need someone to tell me the culprit. The back end of my copy of Dick Mullen and the False Identity fell apart and the pages scattered to the wind, give me some closure here.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i gotta say, as an alcoholic, that they loving nailed the entire opening sequence of what it's like to try and wake up with an extreme hangover. that liminal state where you're still asleep but you're alert enough to know it's going to hurt to wake up, so you're trying as hard as you can to just float along in the darkness until the last possible moment, loving spoke to me. if it's possible to die in the opening sequence because you just don't want to wake up hard enough, i wouldn't even be mad

I also really responded to Slyvie telling you that at the hostel, “you wanted to run your experiment in how bad it could get.” That is EXACTLY the kind of alcoholic I am; I rarely even hear in meetings people nailing it like that.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SelenicMartian posted:

You need a signature skill though.

authority

beats
Oct 21, 2010
I figured everyone would go INT/PSY so went with 1/2/4/5 and it's been really cool. You're not a total loving dunce, you just work out stuff by being able to sense who's scared or uneasy, who's about to break or pull a weapon, and see ton of details about the enviroment or people's clothing and posture and poo poo like that. Hopefully when the shooting starts, I'll be able to pull off some cool guy poo poo instead of murdering some bystander. We'll see.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I can't loving believe that of all my skills the one that deals with technology is reprimanding me

goty

Hey, gently caress you Interfacing, Authority told me Honour points are totally real AND it gave me 25000 honor points for sticking my thumb up my rear end!

Wait.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
I thought Yakuza 0 would be my crowing videogame disco achievement, but I was wrong. Composure is indeed the most important stat.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I love how they made reading random books actually interesting and not just lore dumps like every other RPG

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I read a harsh, dry, overly long realist novel from what was probably supposed to be Not-Russia and it literally killed me.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I just died reading a postcard lmao

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Basically everything is a one hit physical or psychological kill if you minimize the skills that affect mental and physical toughness, right?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

sean10mm posted:

Basically everything is a one hit physical or psychological kill if you minimize the skills that affect mental and physical toughness, right?
You can take meds.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Managed to kill myself by jumping into a door. Loving this game.

Also punched a kid

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just put an extra point in Volition or Physical Resistance (or whatever the physical health stat is called) if you plan on going 1 in either Intelligence or Physical. It's really worth having that second point of mental/physical health.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

You can take meds.

Yeah but I constantly fail at things and run out. :v:

Having 2 endurance instead of 1 really takes the edge off.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I died because talking to a lonely truck driver made me think of my ex-something hunting me.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I don't really know what i'm doing in this game! it's perfect. I've decided to try to be a better person and cop but it's a struggle because my character is very thick.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im making it a small mission to gently caress up this racist truck drivers life now. First I tell him to gently caress off, then I intimidate him into snitching, then I just casually drop that he was the one that snitched. get owned

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sean10mm posted:

Yeah but I constantly fail at things and run out. :v:

Having 2 endurance instead of 1 really takes the edge off.

I suspect the ceiling fan is going to, statistically, be the deadliest killer in the game.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I love it that coach physical instruments sounds like a poster from Bodybuilding.com. If you have high Phys Instru you can even shame the giant racist at the docks and chide him for skipping leg day, and everyone proceeds to laugh at him. You can then kick his rear end using a punch and a flying kick. If you invest a lot of points in Phys Instru your posture starts to change, and start to look like someone whom just left the gym after a heavy weight session .

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

I don't really know what i'm doing in this game! it's perfect. I've decided to try to be a better person and cop but it's a struggle because my character is very thick.

hnngh kim help i'm trying to solve the murder but i'm dummy sicc and the clap of my massive ventricles keeps alerting the grim reaper

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, the interrogation of Klaasje is like... Possibly one of the best pieces of videogame writing. Ever. I just sat there on the roof for a minute after it was done, just mulling it over, mulling over my own decision... This game cannot possibly be real, man.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

one more

John Constantine's French Cousin, Jacques: Yeah there isn't anything explicitly supernatural going on, or is there, right. The department had a special cabinet file. You were the one assigned to handle it. Nobody else managed to get results from that thing. Other detectives joke about you, but they don't want to admit that they respect whatever loving weird poo poo you do that solves the even weirder poo poo. You can't help it, you just happen to be there. As your colleagues love to quote you, it is a spinal thing.

Signature Skill: Shivers

-----------------

Demian Doux, An Interpretation Of Dirk Gently: the protagonist of Douglas Adams' other oeuvre, a bit adapted. Jacques above is right: there is some metafuckery beyond human ken going on, but unlike Jacques, monsieur Doux prodigious intellect made him realize a small part of the greater picture. Jacques' understanding is an intuitive, metaphysical one; Doux's is intellectual. Having seen himself as a cog of the great universal machine of eternity, a bit of nervous breakdown ensued, but he finally understands that things are much more out of control than he could ever possibly realize. A case only gets solved if the Powers That Be want it so. Likewise, his extremely poor physical conditions are merely holistic consequences of the cosmic work he does.

Signature Skill: Inland Empire

The Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr. Edition. 6/1/1/4. You have voices chattering away with useless trivia every god drat second of the day and it is never any help except when you are able to miraculously assemble ludicrously tiny details to solve every problem around you in ridiculously impossible ways. However, the voices never shut the gently caress up and combined with your complete sociopathy and disregard for social norms you push away everyone who ever cared about you while looking like a crazy hobo to society at large, all of which taken together push you to abuse a wide variety of narcotic substances and drink like an opium addicted whale. Also, despite your constant intoxication you are miraculously a crack shock, amazing pickpocket and lockpicker without peer to help you in those situations when The Voices don't just tell you the answer.

Signature Skill: Encyclopedic Knowledge.

So far this has been very fun. Don't worry about having -/1/1/-, you can heal your way through or level up skills, it has not been a problem for me at all.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 16, 2019

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

The_White_Crane posted:

Something I think is underappreciated is their decision to put all the text in a narrow, full-height box at the side of the screen, rather than the classic long landscape box at the bottom.
It is so much closer to the experience of reading a book than the few weird ultra-long lines you get in that landscape presentation.

Linus Torvalds famously replies to comments on the internet hard-breaking at a 72 character width. It seems weird at first but when you are reading through the replies eventually it comes down to you only reading his stuff because it's so much easier to read then letting things word-wrap naturally.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do I Day 1 spoilerGet on the roof to get around the semenese gentleman.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The_White_Crane posted:

Something I think is underappreciated is their decision to put all the text in a narrow, full-height box at the side of the screen, rather than the classic long landscape box at the bottom.
It is so much closer to the experience of reading a book than the few weird ultra-long lines you get in that landscape presentation.

I feel like this game was made for me partially for this reason. I read forum posts on my phone like 16 hours out of the day, and I like to read text in short broken up in short easy to read paragraphs

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Diogines posted:

The Sherlock Holmes - Robert Downey Jr. Edition. 6/1/1/4. You have voices chattering away with useless trivia every god drat second of the day and it is never any help except when you are able to miraculously assemble ludicrously tiny details to solve every problem around you in ridiculously impossible ways. However, the voices never shut the gently caress up and combined with your complete sociopathy and disregard for social norms you push away everyone who ever cared about you while looking like a crazy hobo to society at large, all of which taken together push you to abuse a wide variety of narcotic substances and drink like an opium addicted whale. Also, despite your constant intoxication you are miraculously a crack shock, amazing pickpocket and lockpicker without peer to help you in those situations when The Voices don't just tell you the answer.

Signature Skill: Encyclopedic Knowledge.

So far this has been very fun. Don't worry about having -/1/1/-, you can heal your way through or level up skills, it has not been a problem for me at all.

Also needs Visual Calculus for proper Sherlocking.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Turtlicious posted:

how do I Day 1 spoilerGet on the roof to get around the semenese gentleman.

In the backyard there's a door to the kids' hideout, go through there and up to the roof. From there you can spot a jacket, if you click on it you can challenge yourself to grab it, this will get you into the harbor.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

okay I'll admit my weakness, if I have an above 70% chance of passing a test I'll save scum

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oof, listening to the scab leader describe "that" was... not cool.

Edit: I've almost managed to gather the entire tracksuit

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 16, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Stroth posted:

Also needs Visual Calculus for proper Sherlocking.

Yes! It falls under the -/-/-/4? I don't know how much I miss but I am guessing with 4 you find most of the clues?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I dont know if you can really make a sherlock holmes build in this game because hes basically loving superman. Youd need max in all stats. As is you just have Encyclopedia Brown

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i wonder what kind of gibbering maniac you'd become if you cheat engine'd max in all attributes and skills from the beginning

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Al! posted:

i wonder what kind of gibbering maniac you'd become if you cheat engine'd max in all attributes and skills from the beginning

I actually tried that out for a bit. It was.... impressive. In a schizophrenic disassociation kind of way.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

HORMELCHILI posted:

I dont know if you can really make a sherlock holmes build in this game because hes basically loving superman. Youd need max in all stats. As is you just have Encyclopedia Brown

Mr. Downey Junior's portrayal of him has poo poo social skills AND is a high functioning alcoholic/opium addict with poor willpower, emotional maturity and impulse control. So except for his kung fu abilities it totally fits.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nero Wolfe - 5/5/1/1

The essence of the brilliant but lazy detective, Wolfe mostly stays at home and leaves all the practical, hands-on work to proxies like his assistant Archie while he takes care of his orchids and eats huge gourmet meals. Other than sheer size he's not physically impressive and he essentially does no practical work at all. He is a master of solving cases by pure reason and logic, then manipulating the guilty party into either confession or outright loving suicide.

Signature Skill: Logic, including the intellectual vanity-related downsides. With an extremely large side of Suggestion.