Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

It sucks because the real goal should be what if Star Trek but gay and also really gay.

I think you mean what if Star Trek but Riker and also Riker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

To play devil's advocate, if Darmok were done today with modern production values, there would probably be nuTrek haters complaining about the fact that it has knife fights with a monster and spaceship phaser action.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think by "Darmok" he did not mean the literal episode Darmok, but for us to think back to a historical event that applies to the current situation and can be so condensed due to a deep, shared cultural context.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pick posted:

I think by "Darmok" he did not mean the literal episode Darmok, but for us to think back to a historical event that applies to the current situation and can be so condensed due to a deep, shared cultural context.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

me, with your mother

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s a giant new billboard in my city along a major highway that just says “Shaka”. I feel that deeply.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Pick posted:

Shaquita, when she was misgendered.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Admiralty Flag, his posting poo poo, his page sniped

Radium, when the forums fell

Zaurg, his children pizzaless

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

me, with your mother

Her legs wide

MAMIL
Sep 2, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think you mean what if Star Trek but Riker and also Riker.

Nah, keep it simple. One Riker. One bridge.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Powered Descent posted:

Hell, the after-credits sequence is so obviously a joke that even the spergs at Memory Alpha aren't trying to fit it into canon.

Give it time.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

me, with your mother

davidspackage posted:

Her legs wide

:holymoley:

Jows
May 8, 2002

Pick posted:

Picard, his face in his palm

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pick posted:

Maizlish and Hurley at Paramount.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jows posted:

Picard, his face in his palm

:ssh:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Admiralty Flag posted:

Admiralty Flag, his posting poo poo, his page sniped

Radium, when the forums fell

Zaurg, his children pizzaless

Grover at the trench

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Drywall, its load borne

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Rewatched The Thaw last night. Michael McKean is incredible in that episode. I like how they foreshadowed the ending with the simulated brain proposal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's amazing how "stuck in an evil clown simulation" is actually such a good episode.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
"I'm scared"

"I knowwww"

I read a comment somewhere saying they'd take being screamed at by Sisko over being whispered at by Janeway any day and that's pretty much spot on.

Mulgrew is so good. I rewatched her letting the Vidiians go after they stole Neelix's lungs and that's another great bit of acting.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Rewatched Star Trek III in prep for the Greatest Gen's new live show next month.

Man. It's... not good. Like, not terrible. But not good.

It's funny how much it kind of looks like a TV movie most of the time, probably thanks to Nimoy. Lloyd still is the best part though, and it is amazing how much the franchise reused those fukken costumes forever.

I still wish they would have left in the plot about the Klingons having stolen the Bird of Prey from Romulans or something. It would explain why they are just like so bad at using it.

Edit - it's attempts at humor are overshadowed by Star Trek IV and it's attempt at being the worst Trek is overshadowed by Star Trek V and any movie after VI. It's not the most WTF and also not best looking movie, which is still TMP for both.

So it's just like... the blandest Trek movie?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 16, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

Rewatched Star Trek III in prep for the Greatest Gen's new live show next month.

Man. It's... not good. Like, not terrible. But not good.

It's funny how much it kind of looks like a TV movie most of the time, probably thanks to Nimoy.

Yeah, I've said this before but it is impressively ugly.

Nimoy shares a lot of the blame for its look, considering he basically only does wide coverage and close-ups, but it's also telling that Star Trek III is literally the only project that Charles Correll ever worked on as the director of photography. He went on to direct a bunch of lovely TV. Dude really didn't know what the gently caress he was doing with a camera.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat good ship design department though. Excelsior, Oberth and Bird of Prey all introduced.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

drat good ship design department though. Excelsior, Oberth and Bird of Prey all introduced.
The Cinefex article on ST3 opens with a main ILM guy saying how much he hated the design of the Enterprise (from a photographic point of view) and enjoyed blowing it up. I think they were really hoping it would never come back and it would be all-ILM designs in future.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

The Cinefex article on ST3 opens with a main ILM guy saying how much he hated the design of the Enterprise (from a photographic point of view) and enjoyed blowing it up. I think they were really hoping it would never come back and it would be all-ILM designs in future.

They were, but it was only partly because of the design (they were clearly tasteless). The bigger issue was that the Refit model was, compared to ILM's models huge and crazy heavy, and inconvenient to mount. They used a forklift to get it around, while the excelsior was featherweight by comparison and could be man-handled. Also, its electrics were a complete mess, and the design meant the whole thing had to be deconstructed to fix minor problems.

There were a bunch of other issues with it as well - the way the model had been done with illumination spotlights (shone on from outside to give the illusion the ship was lighting itself) was incompatible with the fact that ILM's shooting rig physically moved the model around as well as the camera, so they had to seriously restrict their motion and largely stick to camera movements, which was a very restrictive for them. And the refit had that pearlescent glossy coating to it, which was a pain to light and caused major headaches with the bluescreen mattes - if I recall the TMP special effects had used a different matte technique to the one that ILM used that made it not as much of an issue (though still a problem). In the end they sprayed it with a coating to reduce the gleam, but it was still way too reflective.

All up it just made it annoying as hell to work with.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 16, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Payndz posted:

Yes, Ken Ralston of ILM infamously hated working with the Enterprise model originally built by Abel & Associates, because it was so huge and a giant pain in the rear end to deal with on their motion-control tracks. When he found out that the Enterprise was going to be destroyed, he was overjoyed, because the Excelsior model was much smaller and had been built by ILM to their design specs. And Harve Bennett's plan all along was indeed to move the crew over to the Excelsior.

Then they backtracked on that plan with Star Trek IV. I can only imagine that Ralston's "SON OF A BITCH" could be heard from several floors down at ILM when he got the script and storyboards.

ILM's designs still suck, though. The Oberth makes no sense from a practical perspective, the Excelsior has an engineering hull that looks like a pregnant guppy and the Klingons never had any avian themes to their design until Nilo Rodis just shrugged after a script revision and said, "Eh, the Bird of Prey is just a Klingon ship, now." That their design language dictated the look of Star Trek ships for the next, what, 25 or so years ... guh.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ah yes, the Oberth class, aka “Drone Pizza Pie Delivery”.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

And the refit had that pearlescent glossy coating to it, which was a pain to light and caused major headaches with the bluescreen mattes - if I recall the TMP special effects had used a different matte technique to the one that ILM used that made it not as much of an issue (though still a problem). In the end they sprayed it with a coating to reduce the gleam, but it was still way too reflective.
TMP used a frontlight/backlight technique, where the model would be lit and shot against black, then a second pass done with it in silhouette against a white background to make a matte. It had advantages over bluescreen in the optical compositing era in that it allowed for the model to be shiny a la the Enterprise, and also permitted atmospheric effects (smoke, fog) which bluescreen separations couldn't handle. Blade Runner was probably the most famous example of the approach. The downside was that it took longer, needing an extra motion-control pass for the matte. (Although ILM used to do multiple passes for various lights, etc, so one more wouldn't seem to add much time.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I love looking at fan designs of people trying to make sense of the Oberth.

Of course, that loving dumb ship still makes more sense than the cavernous ships with loving turbolifts on roller coaster tracks with NOTHING ELSE IN THE APPARENTLY HOLLOW SHIP?

Basically, once again, gently caress Discovery.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I always thought the Obrerth was supposed to be deliberately dorky looking

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It is, the big issue is that there's no way from the saucer to the hull. The pylons are too narrow for a lift.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Oberth aside, the plot of Star Trek III makes no sense.

I mean, even without the whole plot of Vulcans having IMMORTAL SOULS that can be transferred to new bodies-- and yet they haven't done it in ages because :shrug:, why would Star Fleet suddenly restrict Kirk from going back to Genesis? Wasn't he the loving one that had access to that classified material in the first place? He's a loving admiral, not some cadet.

Also I love how Reagan-era the fact that McCoy is suddenly treated like a criminal for having what seems like PSTD causing him to seem crazy.

Also also, why was the Enterprise being mothballed? Didn't they just loving upgrade it a few years ago? Excellisor is not even out of its beta test and yet the entire fleet is scheduled to be replaced by them or something?

Also also also, didn't Kirk just save a his own ship from a pirate that had taken over a Federation gunship? Wouldn't they treat him better on return besides immediately sidelining him? Oh yeah, and that pirate was the most famous dictator from earth's past after Hitler?

Maybe Starfleet was just mad that Kirk had just never actually told them about him finding and dumping Khan off on a planet? You'd think they would be smart and at least leave satellites in orbit to make sure the dude doesn't try to get off planet. But since they never checked up on him I'm guessing Kirk never told anyone up the chain of command?

I guess Starfleet deserves to look like a bunch of incompetent chumps that ST3 makes them look like by even trusting Kirk with anything in the first place?

Of course since Discovery is now canon apparently Starfleet wanted to throw everything having to do with Khan and Genesis into the memory hole now that Spock and Pike are both dead or crippled so they won't be talkin bout no Federation secretzzzzzz

I'm guessing Kirk should be lucky that they didn't place a hit out on him like they obviously did with Pike to keep poo poo secret.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I still maintain they have turbolifts that are basically Wonkavators.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I like the Excelsior design, fight me

But the Oberth is an abomination

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I love the oberth and how dorky and obviously lovely it is

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

I mean, even without the whole plot of Vulcans having IMMORTAL SOULS that can be transferred to new bodies-- and yet they haven't done it in ages because :shrug:, why would Star Fleet suddenly restrict Kirk from going back to Genesis? Wasn't he the loving one that had access to that classified material in the first place? He's a loving admiral, not some cadet.

Wasn't it because the klingons got the intel on Genesis and it became a massive political flashpoint?

quote:

Also also, why was the Enterprise being mothballed? Didn't they just loving upgrade it a few years ago? Excellisor is not even out of its beta test and yet the entire fleet is scheduled to be replaced by them or something?

About 12 years passed between TMP and TWOK, given the Enterprise was one of the oldest connies and it was totally wrecked by the events of TWOK, it's plausible they may have just said 'gently caress it'. They'd already consigned it to a training ship before that, so it was probably already running behind on upgrades given it wasn't in real service.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I always thought the Obrerth was supposed to be deliberately dorky looking

Isn't every ship before Discovery explicitly designed to look dorky and goofy as hell? The first and main ship we ever see is a dumbass flying saucer with stick figure legs coming out of it. I love Star Trek but "cool spaceships" has never been a thing in it. Hell, the cool ship in Discovery I'm thinking of might actually just be the ship from Orville.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FlamingLiberal posted:

I like the Excelsior design, fight me

This thread is literally the only place anyone shits on the Excelsior. It's the best Starfleet ship design. Constitution Refit also strong.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The first Trek I ever watched was TNG so I've always loved the Galaxy class.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly the decommissioning of the Enterprise isn't all that different than what we see in the real world. The USS Enterprise CVN-65 aircraft carrier underwent a 18 month refurbishing from 2008 to 2010 only to be out of service in 2012 and decommissioned in 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Isn't every ship before Discovery explicitly designed to look dorky and goofy as hell? The first and main ship we ever see is a dumbass flying saucer with stick figure legs coming out of it. I love Star Trek but "cool spaceships" has never been a thing in it. Hell, the cool ship in Discovery I'm thinking of might actually just be the ship from Orville.

What is this trash