Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

2 clear vinyl copies of that Profanatica left, get on it!

the clear one only had 2 left, there was a lot of the black ones left (the superior one).

clear/colored vinyl looks cool, but the black stuff is better due to them being able to add poo poo to it they couldn't otherwise and still keep the colors or clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

clear/colored vinyl looks cool, but the black stuff is better due to them being able to add poo poo to it they couldn't otherwise and still keep the colors or clear

Yeah perhaps but it’s boring so there’s that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carbon black is claimed to have some benefits in regards to friction and wear.

On the other hand, clear vinyl has to be 100% virgin stock, so they can't cheat with ground up records that turned out wrong.

All the colored/clear vinyl I have plays just fine FWIW.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
Even if I had the fanciest speakers/turntable in the world, my ability to tell quality + tinnitus is gonna restrict me from ever telling the difference between the sound on a color and black vinyl, haha.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The only vinyl I’m a little suspicious of is the random splatter color specials that pressing plants offer, that’s 100% reused vinyl. That said most of the music I like is noisy enough that is probably makes zero difference.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
my vinyl sound quality

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Casually browsing thread, skimming through Mr. Bling's post, WHAT IN THE gently caress NEW PROFANATICA

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New Sarcasm out today, up on Spotify but not fully released on Bandcamp yet. Very cool band, oldschool melodeath from back when melodeath and meloblack were almost indistinguishable from eachother that released an archival album from 1994 a few years ago and followed up with new material the year after. A few tracks in the new album rips.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

This is no Riot City - Burn the Night, but a pretty good album nonetheless.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I don’t know if this was posted but we all know archspire is the fastest band in the world.

https://youtu.be/0RBGr2AmUyE

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Mr. Pickles posted:

Casually browsing thread, skimming through Mr. Bling's post, WHAT IN THE gently caress NEW PROFANATICA

the fun doesn't stop there

https://havohej.bandcamp.com/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Snowy posted:

Anyone know some good metal songs with jew’s harp?

My gf has been getting into it lately and was wondering if there was any metal that used it. I’m sure it shows up in folk metal but that’s not normally my jam so I don’t know any specific songs.

the beginning of this of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THRPYKlJck, and there's a song on nordland that uses it again in a similar way.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This is my kind of Drum 'n Bass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG5FPctRomE

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This year’s Rock Hall nominees (yeah I know but it’s fun to argue) include Judas Priest and Motörhead. Plus metal-adjacent Soundgarden and Thin Lizzy. Unexpectedly heavy year! (none of them will get in)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

A human heart posted:

the beginning of this of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7THRPYKlJck, and there's a song on nordland that uses it again in a similar way.

Wardruna also might have what you're looking for ex. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlVM4n20pA0

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Plundering the bottom pages of 2019 black metal again on RYM, found this Furfur album with 1 rating. I've found more great releases going from the bottom up than top to bottom.

Edit: more good stuff, Vo Gneve, Russian symphonic black. I really dig the vocals on this

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 15, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

This year’s Rock Hall nominees (yeah I know but it’s fun to argue) include Judas Priest and Motörhead. Plus metal-adjacent Soundgarden and Thin Lizzy. Unexpectedly heavy year! (none of them will get in)

personally i'm rooting for rufus featuring chaka khan

also the doobie brothers. if they don't get inducted i'll be takin it to the streets

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I know they may have lost some cred here, but when Amon Amarth asks you to sing along, you fuckin scream it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_XeEclwPQ4

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Fingat posted:

I know they may have lost some cred here, but when Amon Amarth asks you to sing along, you fuckin scream it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_XeEclwPQ4

Nobody does sing-alongs like Blind Guardian though. One of my favorite concerts was Blind Guardian back in like 06.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zklqr1xj32Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

Nobody does sing-alongs like Blind Guardian though. One of my favorite concerts was Blind Guardian back in like 06.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zklqr1xj32Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM

Blind Guardian sing-alongs are great, but Blind Guardian crowds are also the only ones I've ever seen that did some weird gatekeeping based on how many songs you know the words to. Like, if I'm a big enough of a dork to buy a ticket to see Blind Guardian on a Tuesday then I'm probably not faking it for scene cred.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
guardianheads definitely seem like the gatekeeping/eternal twerp/bullied as youth but Now I Am The Master-type people so i'm not too shocked by that

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I base this on absolutely nothing but if I had to pick a kind of fan to say "Oh ya? Name 3 of their albums then," it would be a Blind Guardian fan.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Meanwhile when Sonata Arctica does a singalong it's clearly bc Tony is tired of his job. Dude had the crowd sing Full Moon and just kind of sat down for the whole thing

...Full Moon still kicks rear end tho

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Full Moon is probably top 5 power metal songs ever.

Speaking of Sonata Artica, this Dawnlight debut came out earlier this week and is extremely SA worship.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 16, 2019

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Wtf is gatekeeping

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wachter posted:

Wtf is gatekeeping

An American death metal band known for crushing riffs and an HM2 sounds. They're currently coheadlining a tour with Exhumed

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Killingyouguy! posted:

Meanwhile when Sonata Arctica does a singalong it's clearly bc Tony is tired of his job. Dude had the crowd sing Full Moon and just kind of sat down for the whole thing

...Full Moon still kicks rear end tho

Well this is glorious.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Full Moon is probably top 5 power metal songs ever.

What are the other four?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Killingyouguy! posted:

What are the other four?

Curse of the Werewolf and Return of the Werewolf by Timeless Miracle, The Power of the Ancient Force by Twilight Force, Mirror Mirror by afformentioned Blind Guardian. I could live off those 5 songs and give up black metal forever.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Wachter posted:

Wtf is gatekeeping

Acting as a gatekeeper to keep people out of something.

Usually by loving terrible people who want their "thing" to be theirs and theirs alone. See: gamers and women for more information.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Are BG fans really known for that? In my experience they’re super nice goofy folks but I can see that being true because every band has the assholes. Power metal has no room for that garbage. Be nice!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nazzadan posted:

Curse of the Werewolf and Return of the Werewolf by Timeless Miracle, The Power of the Ancient Force by Twilight Force, Mirror Mirror by afformentioned Blind Guardian. I could live off those 5 songs and give up black metal forever.

What, no Helloween?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nazzadan posted:

The two timeless ones are way worse than most of gloryhammer so I dunno what you mean.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Sonata Arctica's best song is San Sebastian, and even that one's like, top 50 material at best.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nordick posted:

Sonata Arctica's best song is San Sebastian, and even that one's like, top 50 material at best.

Take one breath is good but because of its time signature.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Keeper of the Seven Keys 1 and 2 are favorites for sure but as far as standout power metal songs I want to listen to all day those 5 are it. Timeless Miracle's Into the Enchanted Chamber is one of my favorite albums ever so any songs off that are going to be better than any of Gloryhammer to me, a band I do like but not at the same level.
Twilight Force - Tales of Ancient Prophecies
Timeless Miracle - Into the Enchanted Chamber
Sonata Artica's first 4 albums played front to back as 1 super album
BG - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Bloodbound - Rise of the Dragon Empire

These are my absolute favorite PM albums and probably just my favorite albums ever, barring Traveller and Painkiller and a handful of BM and DM albums.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are BG fans really known for that? In my experience they’re super nice goofy folks but I can see that being true because every band has the assholes. Power metal has no room for that garbage. Be nice!

Yeah I've never encountered this from BG fans.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Oh you like slam? Where's your tattered 30 year old tank top 2 sizes too large and urban-camo cargo shorts?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Lifeglug posted:

Acting as a gatekeeper to keep people out of something.

Usually by loving terrible people who want their "thing" to be theirs and theirs alone. See: gamers and women for more information.

OK I should have clarified, because I kind of inferred as much. But OP was talking about it happening at gigs, and I wondered how it works. Obviously they're not standing at the doors behind security stopping people coming in, so, what? do they just wander around like assholes asking "answer me these questions three"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Browsing random recomendations lead to me discover Gotsu Totsu Kotsu who are really awesome.

Japanese death metal band whi sound really Vader-y (especially the vocals) and have loads of funky instrumental stuff going on, espcially a bunch of cool slap bass work. But without any modern tech-death sound/production (I know a lot of people aren't fans). Apprently the lyrics are all based on samuri stuff and folklore, who cares if it's all in Japanese it's fun.