Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh heck yeah I'm onboard for this.

Question, though: on the rewards, it says on the £25 level that you'll be able to add the deck on in BackerKit. Does that mean it won't be available as an add-on otherwise?

You can! It's £10 to add an extra one to your pledge. I just thought I'd bundle it into the tiers to make things simpler, as I'm not planning any other addons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Reading Voidheart Symphony right now. Definitely a back for me.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
drat, this is a brutal printing error. Fortunately it's also, as he says, as irrelevant as it is obvious.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just sent out the PoD coupons for Americana. Sorry they took a little while! The first proof was garbage and fixing it took a lot of learning about 15 year old printing standards!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/286486/Americana

Hey, would you be willing to do a writeup of what you discovered for posterity?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

drat, this is a brutal printing error. Fortunately it's also, as he says, as irrelevant as it is obvious.
I like the printer's "maybe we can put a sticker over it" mentality for fixing the big printing error they did.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like the printer's "maybe we can put a sticker over it" mentality for fixing the big printing error they did.

I read the sticker solution as being pitched by the creator, not the printer, and it sounds like the creator, not the printer, made the big error.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Zurui posted:

Hey, would you be willing to do a writeup of what you discovered for posterity?

I could ask the crew if they'd be able to, the layout and artist people did the hard work, I just gave the thumbs up by the end.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

I read the sticker solution as being pitched by the creator, not the printer, and it sounds like the creator, not the printer, made the big error.
I can totally see how it happened too; the interiors are probably absolutely fine, having been picked over by enthusiastic backers with literal decades of B/X literacy, but of course the preview PDFs don't include the book spines (because why would they?) so they don't get the same level of scrutiny. Bit of a shame but basically not a huge deal.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

And it's now live! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jayciles/voidheart-symphony?ref=SA

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

And you're already 1/3 of the way there!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Is this Persona 5 but better and a tabletop game?

E: oh, you already answered this above.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 16, 2019

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Flavivirus posted:

Ayup, DriveThruRPG print proofing can be a real pain in the rear end. Good job on getting this to the finish line!

In other news - I'm launching my new kickstarter later today, and thought I'd give the thread an early preview in case there were any glaring errors or weirdness. Voidheart Symphony is a game I could easily summarise as 'What if Persona 5 followed through on its themes and respected queer identities' - it's about a group of regular people who find out that an evil labyrinth dimension is empowering their city's worst predators, and decide to raid it and steal their power.

It draws on a lot of the Castlevania-emulating dungeoneering rules I put into Rhapsody of Blood, while adding in a mundane world investigation phase that draws on Spire and Ironsworn. I'm very happy with it, and hopefully it finds an audience? So yeah, check it out if you like!

This is 100% my poo poo. Great presentation and it hits a lot of the notes I love from Don't Rest Your Head, and Unknown Armies.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Just sent out the PoD coupons for Americana. Sorry they took a little while! The first proof was garbage and fixing it took a lot of learning about 15 year old printing standards!
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/286486/Americana

I've ordered my copy and can't wait to read it. I mean, I have the PDF, but I don't really like reading RPGs by phone or tablet.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Normally I do not care for Powered By The Apocalypse. Just not my style of play. But you had me at "Persona 5"

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yeah, Persona minus the transmisic stuff sounds good to me. That art is ugly as hell, though.

Edit: How necessary is the deck of cards? Are they just a handy/stylish reference or are they actually required for play?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 16, 2019

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

After all the fun I recently had with Rhapsody of Blood, hell yea this is backed!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah, Persona minus the transmisic stuff sounds good to me. That art is ugly as hell, though.

Edit: How necessary is the deck of cards? Are they just a handy/stylish reference or are they actually required for play?

They're handy for remembering what covenants you have and what that does for you but you could write it on a postit note or something (or just add it to your sheet on roll20 or other net-game equivalent).

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

GrandpaPants posted:

Handy reference, all their info is in the PDFs and presumably the print book too.

And it's funded, sick.

Nea fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 16, 2019

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Obviously I’m personally a fan of the art, but the good news is that we’ve funded (in under 4 hours!) and so hopefully we’ll hit stretch goals allowing me to commission more art soon!

And the cards are a stylish reference - they make it easy to track what having, eg, Sun 2 and Justice 1 gets you, but that’s it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Flavivirus posted:

Ayup, DriveThruRPG print proofing can be a real pain in the rear end. Good job on getting this to the finish line!

In other news - I'm launching my new kickstarter later today, and thought I'd give the thread an early preview in case there were any glaring errors or weirdness. Voidheart Symphony is a game I could easily summarise as 'What if Persona 5 followed through on its themes and respected queer identities' - it's about a group of regular people who find out that an evil labyrinth dimension is empowering their city's worst predators, and decide to raid it and steal their power.

It draws on a lot of the Castlevania-emulating dungeoneering rules I put into Rhapsody of Blood, while adding in a mundane world investigation phase that draws on Spire and Ironsworn. I'm very happy with it, and hopefully it finds an audience? So yeah, check it out if you like!

Oh, I didn't realize you were going to bring this to Kickstarter. Congratulations on getting funded!

Does the kickstarter offer anything beyond physical rewards if you've already picked up the version you have on itch.io?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Flavivirus posted:

Obviously I’m personally a fan of the art, but the good news is that we’ve funded (in under 4 hours!) and so hopefully we’ll hit stretch goals allowing me to commission more art soon!

And the cards are a stylish reference - they make it easy to track what having, eg, Sun 2 and Justice 1 gets you, but that’s it.

Congrats on funding! Im v hyped for this.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
It's already hit the first stretch goal. I'm excited to see what comes next.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

Oh, I didn't realize you were going to bring this to Kickstarter. Congratulations on getting funded!

Does the kickstarter offer anything beyond physical rewards if you've already picked up the version you have on itch.io?

Yup, I won’t be updating the itch.io release from this point. If you want the final pdf, you’ll need to back the kickstarter or pick up the finished release when it’s out.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Flavivirus posted:

Yup, I won’t be updating the itch.io release from this point. If you want the final pdf, you’ll need to back the kickstarter or pick up the finished release when it’s out.

Ok, backed. Thanks for the info, I hope your campaign goes smoothly.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

As a queer person who found Persona 5 a resonant and meaningful experience despite its shortcomings, I feel as if I should have been square in your target audience, but I was surprised to find this campaign leaves me cold. I've spent some time thinking about it, and I would have to say it's because the wholesale adoption of Persona 5's mechanics and aesthetic (down to tarot cards as relationship metaphors, graffiti styling, and red as the signature color) feels like a shocking overreach. Persona 5 is a great influence to have, but for a commercial product I would expect to find some ounce of creativity or identity other than the usual fan complaints of "this 'running joke' about these mlm being predators is painfully cruel and offensive", "I'm a non-lovely adult and I want there to be adult Phantom Thieves", and "I miss when The Fool/The World applied to the party". For that reason, the sales pitch of "Persona 5 but woke" feels really shallow and exploitative, like a transparent attempt to manipulate the potential backer into backing a creatively bankrupt campaign.

Obviously this isn't a problem for your goals or your campaign since you funded so quickly and are finding great success, but I was so surprised by my negative reaction to something I should have by all rights slam-backed that I had to sit down and figure out why. I understand that the more details straight-up lifted from your influences the more the target audience will know to back this, but this feels like it has absolutely no identity of its own and that's why it's broken my heart.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

pack it in already posted:

As a queer person who found Persona 5 a resonant and meaningful experience despite its shortcomings, I feel as if I should have been square in your target audience, but I was surprised to find this campaign leaves me cold. I've spent some time thinking about it, and I would have to say it's because the wholesale adoption of Persona 5's mechanics and aesthetic (down to tarot cards as relationship metaphors, graffiti styling, and red as the signature color) feels like a shocking overreach. Persona 5 is a great influence to have, but for a commercial product I would expect to find some ounce of creativity or identity other than the usual fan complaints of "this 'running joke' about these mlm being predators is painfully cruel and offensive", "I'm a non-lovely adult and I want there to be adult Phantom Thieves", and "I miss when The Fool/The World applied to the party". For that reason, the sales pitch of "Persona 5 but woke" feels really shallow and exploitative, like a transparent attempt to manipulate the potential backer into backing a creatively bankrupt campaign.

Obviously this isn't a problem for your goals or your campaign since you funded so quickly and are finding great success, but I was so surprised by my negative reaction to something I should have by all rights slam-backed that I had to sit down and figure out why. I understand that the more details straight-up lifted from your influences the more the target audience will know to back this, but this feels like it has absolutely no identity of its own and that's why it's broken my heart.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Stepping back and looking at it, I can kinda see where you're coming from? But a lot of that is convergent evolution - the red, for example, is there mainly because it was a callback to Rhapsody of Blood, the game this one is a sequel to. And as for the tarot, well, I really like tarot cards and enjoy chucking them into any game where I can make them work? Sorry if that makes this creatively bankrupt, but most of my game design comes from having a strong visceral reaction to a creative work and sitting down to try and make something that evokes what that means to me and the potentials and possibilities I saw in it.

It's absolutely cool if it's not for you, that's fine! But this game has been a real labour of love for me, and writing it has been part of the process of feeling out my own queer identity over the past year, so... :smith:

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

I'm sorry you feel that way. Stepping back and looking at it, I can kinda see where you're coming from? But a lot of that is convergent evolution - the red, for example, is there mainly because it was a callback to Rhapsody of Blood, the game this one is a sequel to. And as for the tarot, well, I really like tarot cards and enjoy chucking them into any game where I can make them work? Sorry if that makes this creatively bankrupt, but most of my game design comes from having a strong visceral reaction to a creative work and sitting down to try and make something that evokes what that means to me and the potentials and possibilities I saw in it.

It's absolutely cool if it's not for you, that's fine! But this game has been a real labour of love for me, and writing it has been part of the process of feeling out my own queer identity over the past year, so... :smith:

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I know my comment was very negative, so I want to recognize and appreciate your willingness to engage with me.

It's clear to see a ton of care and effort went into this, and that's why it's so disappointing to me since I would have loved to play this. It feels more like a licensed product, instead of something taking an influence and running with it to create something new. I can't identify what makes this uniquely Voidheart Symphony. If you don't mind me asking, what would you say is Voidheart Symphony's signature, or the thing that makes it stand out?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I know my comment was very negative, so I want to recognize and appreciate your willingness to engage with me.

It's clear to see a ton of care and effort went into this, and that's why it's so disappointing to me since I would have loved to play this. It feels more like a licensed product, instead of something taking an influence and running with it to create something new. I can't identify what makes this uniquely Voidheart Symphony. If you don't mind me asking, what would you say is Voidheart Symphony's signature, or the thing that makes it stand out?

Hm. I'd say the Castle is a big thing? The fact that you're not fighting a few bad actors, but the way that society as a whole is structured to reward exploitation and enable predators. This ties into how continually drawing on its power to run your revolution pushes you towards viewing the world in a hierarchical, predator/prey mindset, and how nurturing a community that supports your actions and who you go to for guidance is crucial in making a lasting change. It's a setup where I'm trying to tag in some of my experiences with real life protest movements to talk about how trying to make a difference can get complicated and messy, especially when the leaders of the movement start getting power and responsibility over others. Not to mention that it allows me to spotlight ways in which system oppression manifests in different ways in different communities, especially once we hit the stretch goal where I commission a ton of other writers to write about places near and dear to them and round out the breadth of perspectives in the book.

I'd also say it's a game about reckoning with your self-image as an ongoing process, in a way that I don't think the persona games properly deliver on. Instead of a one-and-done revelation, you're constantly altering what your idealised form is and what that says about you, and dealing with disruptions and alterations in your mundane life. And a large part of that is that relationships are mutual and take work, as well as being a much greater part of your character than they were in persona games. In the mundane world, your abilities are almost entirely defined by the people who support you and care for you, instead of being incidental bonuses! Not to mention, I think just having a party of characters around a table in an interlinking web of relationships makes a big difference in the stories you tell compared to a single personality void being all things to all people in order to get the game bonuses.

Like, look, I see where you're coming from? But I don't think it's a sin to look at a work that meant a great deal to you and write a response to it, and my problems with Persona 5 aren't cynical just because they're 'usual fan complaints'. I'm proud of what I've made here.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

Flavivirus posted:

Like, look, I see where you're coming from? But I don't think it's a sin to look at a work that meant a great deal to you and write a response to it, and my problems with Persona 5 aren't cynical just because they're 'usual fan complaints'. I'm proud of what I've made here.

Thanks for your rundown. I appreciate getting to hear your thoughts directly.

It's obvious a lot of effort and thought went into this, and I'm glad you're having such wonderful success.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

As a queer person who found Persona 5 a resonant and meaningful experience despite its shortcomings, I feel as if I should have been square in your target audience, but I was surprised to find this campaign leaves me cold. I've spent some time thinking about it, and I would have to say it's because the wholesale adoption of Persona 5's mechanics and aesthetic (down to tarot cards as relationship metaphors, graffiti styling, and red as the signature color) feels like a shocking overreach.

Which game mechanics were lifted wholesale from Persona 5? Not like on a metaphorical level like using Tarot to represent certain people/personality traits, but actual game mechanics.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Which game mechanics were lifted wholesale from Persona 5? Not like on a metaphorical level like using Tarot to represent certain people/personality traits, but actual game mechanics.
I didn't spot any - Persona doesn't run off Powered By the Apocalypse, after all.

There isn't even a Jungian Pokemon-style persona capture-and-fusion system. It's hardly a Shin Megami Tensei game at all.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I really appreciate the discourse here, in terms of its thoughtfulness and civility. I can understand where both perspectives come from and it's perhaps slightly closer to Persona than I'd prefer (but it's a tight margin, because that's ALSO a lot of the draw - much as the obvious Castlevania/Bloodborne influences on Rhapsody made that my favorite Legacy spin-off).

I'm very happy to have backed and very happy to have also read a measured and polite back-and-forth between creator and a prospective audience member who had a different reaction.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Warthur posted:

I didn't spot any - Persona doesn't run off Powered By the Apocalypse, after all.

There isn't even a Jungian Pokemon-style persona capture-and-fusion system. It's hardly a Shin Megami Tensei game at all.

Yeah I was going to say... none of the nitty gritty mechanics match up to Persona at all. It's Rhapsody of Blood's infiltration into the castle mechanics, but with the generational changover of player characters substituted for a Blades in the Dark-style cycle of downtime/side projects/and recovery, and with the Covenants expanded out a bit to integrate the tarot arcana into bonuses you get from interacting with them. The card suits relating to stats are in vanilla Rhapsody of Blood, even.

Even the implied alternate self isn't even a separate stand that lightning punches for you Persona-style, it's just how you physically look in the castle. It's about as much of a distinctive response and redressing of Persona 5 and Persona as a series as you could ask for in an analog gaming medium.

Also...

You're a condescending freak who erupted out of the ground randomly because someone said unkind thing about a JRPG you love in an offhand manner and you have no idea what you're talking about.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 18, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pack it in already is being perfectly cordial, there's no need to call them a freak

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're a condescending freak who erupted out of the ground randomly because someone said unkind thing about a JRPG you love in an offhand manner and you have no idea what you're talking about.

If you think you are the polite and rational person in this conversation I have some bad news for you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nuns with Guns posted:

Whoa, chill.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
honestly, if someone said "I wanted to make a Persona tabletop game but don't have the license, so I made it as close as I legally can" I don't think I'd have a problem with that anyway

like, creativity is good but if something's a deliberate emulation then I'm not going to get mad if it does some deliberate emulating, I don't think there's anything wrong with that in principle

good doesn't always mean creative and creative doesn't always mean good, I appreciate that pack it in is being cordial but god drat if that wasn't a very strong statement over what I'm frankly feeling is a subjective issue of taste, not an objective flaw of the game

I might have some bias as "[creative endeavor] is good but it's not the [creative endeavor] I wanted so it's wrong" is a sentiment that has haunted me all my life

also because if I could use the Mario universe for anything and get away with it I'd be riding it into the sun and I would feel zero shame

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

neaden posted:

If you think you are the polite and rational person in this conversation I have some bad news for you.

I'm not trying to be polite here but rationality was never really part of this equation

Brother Entropy posted:

pack it in already is being perfectly cordial, there's no need to call them a freak

I guess it's possible to cordially rush into a thread to say someone's project is creatively bankrupt, shallow, exploitative, and manipulative, sure

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 18, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think there's definitely a well-meaning and polite way to ask a creator what sets their game apart from the things that have inspired it, but doing so by saying things like "the sales pitch of "Persona 5 but woke" feels really shallow and exploitative, like a transparent attempt to manipulate the potential backer into backing a creatively bankrupt campaign" or "this feels like it has absolutely no identity of its own" doesn't really come across like that to me, tbh. Jay's already handled things and I don't care to speak for her in regards to her own project and experiences making it, but I have to admit that reading pack it in's initial post made my eyebrows elevate all the way to the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm not trying to be polite here but rationality was never really part of this equation

OK, enjoy acting like an rear end in a top hat then.
ETA: like, no one rushed in this thread. This isn't your house, it's a public space and pack it in isn't an intruder so gently caress off with that.