Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

catlord posted:

Wasn't there a line in Asylum where Joker suggested he killed a Robin?

Asylum has him say

quote:

Heck, I might even give you Harley! You look like you could use a new sidekick...

And in one of the challenge maps in City (if you're playing as Robin) he says

quote:

Didn't I kill you already? No? Well there's always time, right? Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hand together for... Robin!

But they're pretty ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

FilthyImp posted:

What's next?? Arkham world? Arkham PLANET?!

Arkham Galaxy, Arkham Odyssey

actually Arkham World as some sort of hosed up theme park taken over by criminals could be a thing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They did an Arkham Planet in the comics. Just rounded up all the criminals, tranq'd them and dropped them off at some distant earth-like planet.

I forget how it ended because it was dumb.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

FilthyImp posted:

They did an Arkham Planet in the comics. Just rounded up all the criminals, tranq'd them and dropped them off at some distant earth-like planet.

Oh right Salvation Run.

All I really remember is that they decided to make Grodd massively homophobic and beat Mallah to death with the Brain cause they were gay....

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

But they're pretty ambiguous.

You're all probably right, it has been a while since I last played Asylum.

FilthyImp posted:

It was a Countdown tie-in, that for some reason got referenced long after people decided to try to forget Countdown and all it's lovely tie-ins ever happened.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

actually Arkham World as some sort of hosed up theme park taken over by criminals could be a thing

A Matter of Family, but bigger and better?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It'd be cool if one of these games didn't take place over the course of one night.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

It'd be cool if one of these games didn't take place over the course of one night.

I love that the massive increase of collectibles means it's literally impossible to 100% Arkham Knight within the time period it's supposed to take place in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gotham is in Alaska and it's winter.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

More like Thirty Days of Knight amirite

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Literally everyone knew. The only reason there was an iota of doubt was because they straight-up lied and said it wasn't him.

And I don't even understand why. Anyone who knows anything about the comics would figure it out instantly and anyone who doesn't wouldn't know any better anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I love that the massive increase of collectibles means it's literally impossible to 100% Arkham Knight within the time period it's supposed to take place in.

Nah it's technically possible because speedrunners are insane. The current record for 100% is 9 hours. But it sure stretches believability for regular players, and I doubt any of the devs could clear it within 12.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

SardonicTyrant posted:

More like Thirty Days of Knight amirite

Hell, same

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FilthyImp posted:

What's next?? Arkham world? Arkham PLANET?!

WB Montreal is hinting their asses off that the next game is going to revolve around the Court of Owls, so ... Arkham Court?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Snyder retweeted their little hint video with #bewarethecourtofowls then deleted it, so I don't know if it even counts as just hinting anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Timby posted:

WB Montreal is hinting their asses off that the next game is going to revolve around the Court of Owls, so ... Arkham Court?
A next gen installment out of nowhere would be something.

The effects and lens flare really sold the PS4 to me when Knight came out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My guess is they ditch the Arkham name for the new one, and it probably isn't in continuity with those games.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I worked at Gamestop when Arkham Knight came out, and I was convinced 100% that the Knight couldn't possibly be Jason Todd because that would be too loving stupid

so in a way, it's a brilliant twist

edit: apparently I said this, in this thread, like a year ago, which tells you how much exciting news there is in the world of comic book video games

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 16, 2019

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

My guess is they ditch the Arkham name for the new one, and it probably isn't in continuity with those games.

People said that after City, like "how could they possibly justify calling it Arkham whatever after City was already kind of a stretch" but it's the name of the series now, if they just call it Batman whatever then people would think it's some other series on store shelves/in digital stores. They'll probably call it something like "Arkham Lives" or "Arkham Stories" or something and the justification will be that the seeds of the bad guys plot were hatched in old Arkham or something.

This is if we're talking about this supposed new game by the Montreal studio btw that's got the Court of Owls as the main villains. Whatever Rocksteady London is working on is probably something crazy and spanning the entire DC universe at this point since they've spent most of this console gen working on it now and still haven't revealed it, meaning it has to be next gen at this point. That will probably not be called Arkham whatever.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
This will be Batman: Arkham Court

Rocksteady's will be Batman: Arkham Universe & Justice League

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LEGO Batman: Arkham Brick

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm betting it's not set in the same universe as the Arkham games so they don't have to explain the ending of Knight away. It'll play the same, basically, but it'll have a new art style and fresh continuity.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Da kids love a good reboot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm betting it's not set in the same universe as the Arkham games so they don't have to explain the ending of Knight away. It'll play the same, basically, but it'll have a new art style and fresh continuity.

I mean they literally have only shown us 4 days out of Batman's career in the Arkham universe. There's wiggle room there.

Although that would mean Joker might be involved so forget I said that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Arkham Beyond - twist is, it's Terry!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I can see:

1) It's before Knight, possibly even before Asylum even. Here's Joker!
2) Reboot! Batman The Court of Owls
3) We follow Dick as Batman
4) It opens by undoing the end of Knight somehow and Batman's still well and alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can see:

1) It's before Knight, possibly even before Asylum even. Here's Joker!
2) Reboot! Batman The Court of Owls
3) We follow Dick as Batman
4) It opens by undoing the end of Knight somehow and Batman's still well and alive.

I mean the 100% ending of Arkham Knight made it pretty clear someone was still out there being Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I mean the 100% ending of Arkham Knight made it pretty clear someone was still out there being Batman.

That's Bruce Wayne, but without the secret ID to keep him grounded or the tech, just fear gas. Kind of a nihilistic ending but I guess it makes sense with their boring, 100%-a-dick take on the character.

You can't really do the court of owls storyline without Bruce Wayne, though.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
My money's on 1. I think this is going to be, essentially, Arkham Origins 2. Well, if it ever gets announced.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

You can't really do the court of owls storyline without Bruce Wayne, though.

I'm still pretty sure the original Owls storyline was first conceived as a Dickbats story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I'm still pretty sure the original Owls storyline was first conceived as a Dickbats story.

It was within the first year of the reboot, right? and Snyder had been writing a killer Dickbats before. I believe it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It was within the first year of the reboot, right? and Snyder had been writing a killer Dickbats before. I believe it.

Plus it relies on Batman not knowing Gotham as well as he thinks, with only really works right after a reboot for Bruce but is easier to do for Dick.

And Dick's link to them is more interesting than Bruce's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1184822398027218947

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

catlord posted:

My money's on 1. I think this is going to be, essentially, Arkham Origins 2. Well, if it ever gets announced.

Not super opposed to this since I have wanted a Batman/Dick Robin/Babs Batgirl game for a while now. I'm not going to get one, but Dickbats is also great.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Personally, I get a feeling people will say this proves my current avatar true, but I really mean it for a good reason, there is NO REASON why you should EVER be excited for another crappy Arkham game after the UTTER trash Origins and Knight were. Origins show that the series can never be anything loving remotely resembling well-written without Paul Dini. Knight reveals that Rocksteady can't innovate on the first two games to save their lives without resorting to terribly forced and bland game mechanics ultimately made just to stretch out game time. It's a loving disgrace to the Batman Mythos and basically show everything wrong with bourgeoisie man and really just makes someone ashamed to be a fan of Batman in the end.

And it's also casually very sexist and racist!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am totally down with Ms. Marvel being the new Peter Parker.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheNamedSavior posted:

Oh so they did keep some of Dini's work in it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TheNamedSavior posted:

Personally, I get a feeling people will say this proves my current avatar true, but I really mean it for a good reason, there is NO REASON why you should EVER be excited for another crappy Arkham game after the UTTER trash Origins and Knight were. Origins show that the series can never be anything loving remotely resembling well-written without Paul Dini. Knight reveals that Rocksteady can't innovate on the first two games to save their lives without resorting to terribly forced and bland game mechanics ultimately made just to stretch out game time. It's a loving disgrace to the Batman Mythos and basically show everything wrong with bourgeoisie man and really just makes someone ashamed to be a fan of Batman in the end.

I mean, except for the last part, I disagree.

It me. I liked Origins and Knight. gently caress you.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TheNamedSavior posted:

have you ever played that ljn x-men game for the nes

because hoo boy

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OnimaruXLR posted:

have you ever played that ljn x-men game for the nes

because hoo boy

To this day I don't think I've ever successfully completed a single level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Waffleman_ posted:

The Arkham Knight is a completely original character and will be our mark on the Batman mythos, just like Harley Quinn just kidding it's loving Red Hood

I can't remember if it was here on SA, or a comment on a YouTube retrospective, but someone came up with the idea that the Arkham Knight could have been Hush.

It would be a way better end to his story rather then the lame ending he got in Knight, and could be interesting way to run Bruce's life like he wanted to do, by unmasking and showing the world that "Bruce Wayne" is a murderous villain.

Not to mention it would make his teaming up with Scarecrow and hurting Innocents less awkward

Miserable Maid fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 18, 2019