Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want Start Track to have a bad guy whose shop is shaped like a giant version of his own head.

Just once, come in it'll be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I want Start Track to have a bad guy whose shop is shaped like a giant version of his own head.

Let's start a goon campaign to fill YouTube comments with this idea and CBS will announce a new show about it next year

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Based on plans for moon-sized Dukat head that could orbit Bajor and make announcements

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ya scrubs

Best ship is the Miranda. Only way to improve it would be to add up to three more roll bars. (Then Picard might have captained one, thinking it was a space dune buggy.)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Based on plans for moon-sized Dukat head that could orbit Bajor and make announcements

The opening scene of Zardoz, except the head says ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have only had a distant appreciation for Star Trek on TV, given that the run time and commercials always used to tire the hell out of me as a kid. I've mostly watched it as (TNG) movies. So it is with trepidation and excitement that I am starting a low-filler run of DS9. The stuff that stands out so far:

EP 1/2:
A Supernatural Being: "What's baseball?"
Sisko, having ably explained linear time and the human condition: "I was afraid you'd ask that."

Of course in 1992 there was little grasp of the data and analytics that has gripped baseball today, but nonetheless Sisko's little speech about the sport nonetheless captures the satisfaction of seeing the ball bounce the other way or some other way the odds are defied. Even if people at this point still weren't quite aware of the odds.

EP3:
It's interesting that DS9 has no real teleporter room. One of the platforms in ops is good enough, apparently. Of course the teleporter as a Trek invention designed as a writing tool first and foremost, being that it expedites boarding parties when the writers want one, and blocks boarding parties in battles when the writers don't; so it doesn't really matter, it just looks like someone could easily get telefragged if there's enough extras milling around ops today.

You know it sort of blows my mind that I understand the moral dilemmas of this show now in ways that I couldn't grasp when I was ten years old. On one hand I'd like to say this show was ahead of it's time in presenting some of the anxieties of political tension, but it's more likely that I should accept it as proof that nothing has changed and nothing will have changed by the time I'm 60. If the writers were thinking of Ireland when writing this plot about extremism, it applies just as well to the middle east today.
I was hoping the Klingon ladies would be back eventually, but apparently this episode was their last TV appearance before teaming up with Malcolm McDowell in Generations. You never come back from that.

EP4:
Jake's space-jumper goes from brown to purple mid-prank. It's also probably some of the worst fashion in a Trek since the skant, since it's too form fitting for a child to be wearing around the promenade. He can't move to regular (if still very 90s) clothing fast enough. Congrats to Dr. Bashir for bringing a human(oid) life into the world, one with DNA corrosion who will probably die an early death, in an effort to get the extras to leave Odo alone.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 17, 2019

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Honestly the decommissioning of the Enterprise isn't all that different than what we see in the real world. The USS Enterprise CVN-65 aircraft carrier underwent a 18 month refurbishing from 2008 to 2010 only to be out of service in 2012 and decommissioned in 2017.

And it had a reputation as a real piece of poo poo because of its age and experimental design. Ships are withdrawn from service for good reason. Metal fatigues, reactor shielding gets brittle, maintenance piles up and up and up as everything is always on the verge of failure. And then there are tactical concerns in an old warship too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Putting aside the (apparently contractually obligated) Burj Al Arab Hotel, I'm kinda disappointed they didn't go with the alternative take they mocked up for Yorktown where it was covered in greenery. I guess it would've made filming the real-world locations a huge pain with having to be painted over with plants, but it looks like a much nicer place to live.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

You know it sort of blows my mind that I understand the moral dilemmas of this show now in ways that I couldn't grasp when I was ten years old.

lol what in the world, you expected not to have developed since you were 10? I mean this is the star trek thread but....

quote:

On one hand I'd like to say this show was ahead of it's time in presenting some of the anxieties of political tension, but it's more likely that I should accept it as proof that nothing has changed and nothing will have changed by the time I'm 60. If the writers were thinking of Ireland when writing this plot about extremism, it applies just as well to the middle east today.

Ecclesiastes 1:9

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Isn't every ship before Discovery explicitly designed to look dorky and goofy as hell?

The Nimitz, Walker, and the Cardenas classes all look fine to me. (Hell, I actually like the Cardenas, and I usually hate four-nacelle ships!)

The Hoover looks like somebody turned the Millennium Falcon backwards and added an Oberth pod and warp nacelles, though, and the Magee is just lazy. It looks like Doug Drexler just wanted to get out of the office early one Friday, so he slapped that one together and called it a day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

And then there are tactical concerns in an old warship too.

Yeah, they're mainly around nowadays as a deterrent.

Snorb posted:

The Nimitz, Walker, and the Cardenas classes all look fine to me. (Hell, I actually like the Cardenas, and I usually hate four-nacelle ships!)

The Hoover looks like somebody turned the Millennium Falcon backwards and added an Oberth pod and warp nacelles, though, and the Magee is just lazy. It looks like Doug Drexler just wanted to get out of the office early one Friday, so he slapped that one together and called it a day.

Doug Drexler thinking he could go beyond designing props and thinking he could be a good starship designer will never stop being hilarious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh those last few are really just there to be vague ship-shaped blobs in the background you don't look at, they're like the Yeager or Curry on DS9. (Except we can actually see them because of HD, unlike DS9 where we only know the kitbashes look so silly because of the tech manual and behind the scenes photos.)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I really like how Star Trek ships have all become greebly messes just like every other generic science fiction spacecraft, it's so cool how everything looks the same

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Craptacular! posted:

EP 1/2:
A Supernatural Being: "What's baseball?"
Sisko, having ably explained linear time and the human condition: "I was afraid you'd ask that."

Of course in 1992 there was little grasp of the data and analytics that has gripped baseball today, but nonetheless Sisko's little speech about the sport nonetheless captures the satisfaction of seeing the ball bounce the other way or some other way the odds are defied. Even if people at this point still weren't quite aware of the odds.

Even though I'm not a huge baseball fan myself, I grew up around this time with friends, some of whom were not gamers but any stretch of the imagination, all had their Strat-O-Matic set. Was this an aberration or have hardcore fans always been into the stats?

In fact, in the late 70s on one of my first trips to a real ball game, I saw a program and was fascinated by the idea that people would keep records of the game as it went along.

Maybe that was always there at the fan level but never really much higher except at a surface level/quasi-superstitious level until sabermetrics came along?

Discursus over

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

It's interesting that DS9 has no real teleporter room. One of the platforms in ops is good enough, apparently. Of course the teleporter as a Trek invention designed as a writing tool first and foremost, being that it expedites boarding parties when the writers want one, and blocks boarding parties in battles when the writers don't; so it doesn't really matter, it just looks like someone could easily get telefragged if there's enough extras milling around ops today.

Nah they came up with the transporter because they couldn't afford to have effects shots of shuttlecraft landing on planets on the TOS budget.

Transporters are pretty bad for the writing, you constantly have to have excuses for them to not work in order to have some drama.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Admiralty Flag posted:

Even though I'm not a huge baseball fan myself, I grew up around this time with friends, some of whom were not gamers but any stretch of the imagination, all had their Strat-O-Matic set. Was this an aberration or have hardcore fans always been into the stats?

In fact, in the late 70s on one of my first trips to a real ball game, I saw a program and was fascinated by the idea that people would keep records of the game as it went along.

Maybe that was always there at the fan level but never really much higher except at a surface level/quasi-superstitious level until sabermetrics came along?

Discursus over

Sabremetrics comes from SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) which was founded in 1971, but using that sort of math to analyze baseball goes back well before that.

(SABR is for hardcore math and stats nerds who analyze the game to a level of detail that is astounding.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiralty Flag posted:

You're expressing surprise
That fans of a trivial entertainment source
Will, with every new event or installment,
Obsessively collect its details and minutiae
And painstakingly analyze them
To fit them together with what's come before.

You're expressing surprise at this
In a Star Trek thread

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I have no actual proof or evidence to back this up, but sabermetrics is only possible in baseball and no other sport, because no other sport is as plodding and methodically boring as baseball.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yorktown talk:

- dumb English-centric name for a "center of the Federation" because "Having it based on a specific planet BLAH BLAH". Isn't the Federation on Earth already?

- Just make it a loving ring station. Oh wait probably can't do that as Microsoft probably owns the copyright on ring stations now.

- Still makes no sense it was right next to some uncharted evil nebula

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yorktown was the name of the ship in the original pitch for Star Trek. It’s a nerdy meta-reference

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jeeves posted:

Yorktown talk:
- dumb English-centric name for a "center of the Federation" because "Having it based on a specific planet BLAH BLAH". Isn't the Federation on Earth already?

This was a regional HQ/hub, not the center of the federation.

quote:

- Just make it a loving ring station. Oh wait probably can't do that as Microsoft probably owns the copyright on ring stations now.

This was way cooler than a ring.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
with the level of technology we see in Star Trek it makes sense for them to build things like Yorktown and the mushroom spacedock more so than a ring that spins for gravity or something

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Admiralty Flag posted:

Discursus over

People have been keeping records forever, it's part of what makes the history fun because if you want to know what Babe Ruth did as a pitcher it's all right there. But the people who are really serious about this stuff were on the outside looking in for another decade or so at this point. These days, it's not uncommon for a bunch of cameras to be put around the field during practice so that the spin rate of the ball during travel can be analyzed and all sorts of other weird poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

This was a regional HQ/hub, not the center of the federation.

yeah it was right at the edge of an unexplored plot nebula

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tighclops posted:

with the level of technology we see in Star Trek it makes sense for them to build things like Yorktown and the mushroom spacedock more so than a ring that spins for gravity or something

Yeah, artificial gravity seems like very much a solved problem in all of Trek. It was a fairly trivial modification for Sisko to add it to his solar sailing ship. Gravity failures are so expensive to show rare that we've seen it happen, what, once in two hundred years?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Snorb posted:

Those first three are pretty rad, hadn't seen em before and the address the doofiness of the main show ships. They don't look like they'd snap apart so easily. The millennium falcon ripoff is pretty amusing, from the side you wouldn't know they glued a star wars to their space tubes. The Magee's looks like they took a normal ship design, didn't group them together in illustrator and they hit center and all the chunks get layered on top in the middle. Also it kind of looks like a giant docking mechanism or maybe just giant space clamps, clamping the saucer part.

Continuing DS9 watch: Is Quark just a super cosmopolitan Ferengi without a lot of his own races typical biases or are Ferengi in general in this period becoming marginally more progressive? In the span of a few episodes he makes a muttered reference to how Ferengi women don't get any rights, he explores an old love with a Cardassian, flirts with a Vulcan who seems not entirely uninterested. The Cardassian woman was straight up still in love with him after a number of years, so Quark can't be a hardliner for "females can't wear clothes" and that sort of stuff. I hate capitalists and Ferengi typically, but he seems like a great sort in comparison.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Space Cloaca

Edit: Wait, what sharks have. Claspers.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I guess we've moved on from talking about the wasted potential of the Romulan Star Empire but something that always bothered me about the Romulans and Klingons is that we literally never see conquered species in any capacity. These empires are supposed to be as large as the Federation and we see dozens if not hundreds of species milling around Federation space but the entirety of the Klingon Empire is just Klingons? And you know the Klingons and Romulans don't have a Prime Directive so Sub Commander T'Dick would just land his Bird of Prey on a pre-warp planet and declare himself God and have a bunch of slaves doing the hard work.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Humerus posted:

I guess we've moved on from talking about the wasted potential of the Romulan Star Empire but something that always bothered me about the Romulans and Klingons is that we literally never see conquered species in any capacity. These empires are supposed to be as large as the Federation and we see dozens if not hundreds of species milling around Federation space but the entirety of the Klingon Empire is just Klingons? And you know the Klingons and Romulans don't have a Prime Directive so Sub Commander T'Dick would just land his Bird of Prey on a pre-warp planet and declare himself God and have a bunch of slaves doing the hard work.

same

and then whenever the Klingon Empire starts to undergo a redemption arc, with regard to making peace with the Federation, they kind of gloss over that they're still conquering places, just not in a way that antagonizes the Federation anymore

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

galenanorth posted:

and then whenever the Klingon Empire starts to undergo a redemption arc, with regard to making peace with the Federation, they kind of gloss over that they're still conquering places, just not in a way that antagonizes the Federation anymore

See, the Federation IS just like America.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There is nothing unusual about a ferengi hitting on other species' :females:

Quark is a bit of an outlier, though, yeah... just not as much as the rest of his family

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's what makes the development of the Macquis weird initially. Starfleet just didn't understand that humans wouldn't up and leave wherever they were, and there was no clear policy about conquered peoples. Somewhere in all that you can extrapolate about ethnostates and whatever. There kinda was an implication that Klingons within the Federation were still somehow under the obligation of the Klingon Empire, just like how the Federation was somehow responsible for the Macquis.

It's also weird how there are these clear territorial borders where Feddie space extends to this point and abutting against other interstellar states, but the central premise of the show is exploring places where nobody's gone before. Is it just that there's all this territory within Federation borders that nobody's explored yet? What's the Federation policy for when one of the worlds that they passed over because of the Prime Directive starts doing interstellar travel and doesn't appreciate being inside of claimed Federation space?

Of course, all of this is just the result of thinking too hard about things that writers probably never considered at the time.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

When trek wants to be about exploration space is a huge unexplored frontier with entire empires that simply have never been contacted yet. When trek wants to be about politics space is suddenly 20th century europe or something with every scrap of land claimed and a series of complex alliances and spheres of influence dividing up these tense borders.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Humerus posted:

Star Trek Online had the Gorn, Nausicaans, and Orions as vassal states of the Klingon Empire, and I think the Ferasans are a vassal state, too (which is why those species are playable. No explanation for Joined Trill, Liberated Borg, Cardassians, and Talaxians of all the species in the galaxy, though.)

(And yes, I know those four are there only if you shell out real-world money for them. Also, the Pakleds are Starfleet-playable?! Could have sworn the Ocampa were playable. Maybe I'm just confusing that with that crappy Star Trek: The Roleplaying Game.)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's also weird how there are these clear territorial borders where Feddie space extends to this point and abutting against other interstellar states, but the central premise of the show is exploring places where nobody's gone before. Is it just that there's all this territory within Federation borders that nobody's explored yet? What's the Federation policy for when one of the worlds that they passed over because of the Prime Directive starts doing interstellar travel and doesn't appreciate being inside of claimed Federation space?

Those major states/empires/whatever are all clustered within a comparatively tiny portion of the galaxy. Most of the galaxy is still unexplored by the Federation.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Snorb posted:

All of those including the Hoover and Magee do a better job of being "Federation ships from an older time" than whoever it was that decided a Star Trek prequel should star a main ship that's a 24th century design flipped upside down.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seemlar posted:

All of those including the Hoover and Magee do a better job of being "Federation ships from an older time" than whoever it was that decided a Star Trek prequel should star a main ship that's a 24th century design flipped upside down.

That would be Rick Berman.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They're all ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

It's interesting that DS9 has no real teleporter room. One of the platforms in ops is good enough, apparently.

I'm not sure if it's explained in the show but I figure the Cardassians were paranoid enough to not want any civilians beaming on or off their station (it was a slave labor camp, after all). So they put one personnel pad, on ops, for military use only. Anyone else can dock and come through an airlock. The cargo bays have cargo transporters, though.