Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
They're going to throw America's Mayor under the bus

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1184825732436037633?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Remember when Erdogan came to the US his people were allowed to beat up US citizens right outside of the White House :laffo:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skylined! posted:

I did a dumb thing and breezed over to r/the_donald and their main talking point is that this letter unilaterally stalled Turkey's advances, so it was obviously a masterstroke of genius.

These people are completely brainwashed cultists.

edit - reminder Sondland to testify today

barely anyone posts there, it's like 5 guys total really posting. subreddit stats says .0004 posts per subscriber.

also subreddit stats shows a word cloud of most common words in comments and I am losing my god drat mind here:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mahoning posted:

The important thing for M4A skeptics to realize is that hospitals have NO CLUE how much things costs. So the hospitals are really the ones jacking up prices to ungodly amounts. For a good majority of the services or procedures they perform, they just pull a made up (high) number out of the sky, knowing that the insurance companies will negotiate it lower. Except with Medicare/Medicaid, the government has a pricing list and the hospital can take it or leave it.

There was a very good article in Time magazine about this a few years back: Bitter Pill: Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1184829432609067010

basically Sondland's lies require us to believe:

- totally unaware of huge national stories
- never talked to Rudy about Biden
- never talked to Trump about it
- never talked to anyone else that knew about it, which includes apparently all the diplomats that worked in Ukraine, who all knew the point was to get Biden

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ewiley posted:

What's a catchy way to describe the net gain from higher taxes but lower costs of not paying for health insurance? There's got to be a good way to describe it.

There isn't a catchy way to get this across. The only way to win this fight is to get people to accept that government services can be good and that you need taxes for government services to work. "Your taxes are going to go up and that's fine" is literally the only way you can sell this without being incredibly vulnerable to backlash and bad faith arguments.

Bernie's messaging is actually really on-point here since just outright admitting that taxes will go up and costs will go down outflanks the major argument against M4A.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Luckyellow posted:

If that does even happen. It turns out that Warren and her team hasn't even started looking into revenues methods to pay for M4A.

Sanders has looked into this plenty because M4A is his bill. Warren just attempted to co-opt the messaging even though it doesn't match her "plan" on her website so she keeps struggling to give firm responses to this.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Ok I feel a little better. I guess I'm just worried that things are going to hell in a handbasket and the SenateMcConnell is going to let everyone get away with it.

It doesn't help that I live in an area where the worst thing anyone will say about Trump boils down to, 'Yeah Trump does some stupid stuff, but Obama was worse because he was black.'

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The White House has said it, but even now State Dept employees are telling Trump to go gently caress himself and showing up anyway. So far, I think only Rudy has actually defied a subpoena. Look, I'm not saying that impeachment and removal from office is likely at this point, but we're at a point where it's more likely than it has ever, ever been. The Senate GOP is caught between a rock and a hard place and a decent number of Republicans in the House are splitting publicly and supporting the impeachment inquiry.

These things don't happen overnight. It hasn't even been a month. Relax.

And even if removal isn't the outcome, his unhinged response is sinking him for 2020. I know it's fun here to make sweeping generalizations about conservatives and Republicans, and there definitely is a die-hard contingent who will always support him, but I'm convinced there are enough Republicans and right-leaning independents who actually care about the country to prevent his reelection. Despite the historically low Republican party affiliation numbers Trump's ushered in, still one out of five of them want him removed.

Just put up someone who is even the slightest bit genuine and he's done.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also personally, if I was in a position where I was asked to lie to Congress like Sondland, I would be very worried about the fact that there's an active investigation into Giuliani and co. and proof of your lies might be unearthed as part of that investigation

you know, the exact thing that happened with Michael Cohen, which resulted in him being indicted for and pleading guilty to lying to Congress

(and, even if Barr kills it, there'll be almost four years for the next democratic administration to charge you with it before the statute of limitations runs out)

Zerilan posted:

Sanders has looked into this plenty because M4A is his bill. Warren just attempted to co-opt the messaging even though it doesn't match her "plan" on her website so she keeps struggling to give firm responses to this.

there's a whole thread for you to post bad takes about the primary like this one

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 17, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Travic posted:

Ok I feel a little better. I guess I'm just worried that things are going to hell in a handbasket and the SenateMcConnell is going to let everyone get away with it.

It doesn't help that I live in an area where the worst thing anyone will say about Trump boils down to, 'Yeah Trump does some stupid stuff, but Obama was worse because he was black.'

Oh it's still incredibly unlikely that McConnell will do anything but ratfuck the senate impeachment trial, but how he sees that best benefiting him will be important to both how trump moves forward and how republican senators up for re-election 2020 are perceived.

What is still most likely is that trump's only direct consequence is that he is defeated handily, and *maybe* is inundated with court fees from New York State until he and his business are ruined and he shits himself to death. He's also miserable right now, and constantly angry-stressed that anyone would dare do anything but kiss his rear end.

There may be a few more republicans that go to jail as well, and a lot more that lose seats, but don't expect impeachment to end in removal. But who knows! If poo poo keeps escalating like it did yesterday, anything can happen!

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/matthewamiller/status/1184829432609067010

basically Sondland's lies require us to believe:

- totally unaware of huge national stories
- never talked to Rudy about Biden
- never talked to Trump about it
- never talked to anyone else that knew about it, which includes apparently all the diplomats that worked in Ukraine, who all knew the point was to get Biden

I couldn't remember when Biden announced his candidacy and wondered why they would have been making such efforts against a guy who might not even run... turns out it was just a week prior!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

barely anyone posts there, it's like 5 guys total really posting. subreddit stats says .0004 posts per subscriber.

also subreddit stats shows a word cloud of most common words in comments and I am losing my god drat mind here:

I mean are you really surprised? Online career memers are repetitive and spiteful as poo poo. Also I think that laughing/crying face emoticon has now become my most hated emoticon on the internet cause it's always some awful shitposter using and it's always in an immensely stupid post only they and their echo chamber think is clever. Every single time. Ironically the actual name for that emoji is supposed to be "Face with Tears of Joy" but it's only ever used as someone positioning themselves as an alt-right rear end in a top hat laughing at what they think are their stated ideological rivals misfortune or failings.

Here's a pretty good take on it IMO:

quote:

Back in 2016, British journalist Abi Wilkinson wrote a poignant article about how the laughing emoji has become a symbol of hate. ‘The “tears of joy” emoji is the worst of all — it’s used to gloat about human suffering,’ she wrote. ‘The cackling grin and tears of mirth are the mockers’ attempt to tell us that, in a world full of human suffering, their brand of callous disregard is winning.’

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 17, 2019

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

The important thing for M4A skeptics to realize is that hospitals have NO CLUE how much things costs. So the hospitals are really the ones jacking up prices to ungodly amounts. For a good majority of the services or procedures they perform, they just pull a made up (high) number out of the sky, knowing that the insurance companies will negotiate it lower. Except with Medicare/Medicaid, the government has a pricing list and the hospital can take it or leave it.

I'm not sure sure what this means. Maybe just for services? All physical goods and drugs are given a standardized multiplier (between about 3-8x cost, depending on cost to purchase) which the patient/insurance is billed for. This is set by CMS, maybe? Might just be company specific.

Everything is negotiated anyway so it doesn't really matter what they bill for. Insurance companies also have pricing lists that the hospital can take or leave (if they're in network).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This statement by Sondland is clearly a move to try and save his own rear end

A few witnesses have already testified that Sondland was one of the point-men on the Ukraine stuff with Rudy and Perry

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1184645597162291200?s=19

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1184834768816562177
https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1184809217074630666?s=20

:smith:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

how is "Hogan Gidley" a real person's name

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

A rare WH statement that is, at least, factually true.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
gently caress man, Cummings... watching him hold peoples feet to the fire was one of the few good moments of the last few years politically. Everything seems determined to rapidly turn to poo poo. What a loving time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

This statement by Sondland is clearly a move to try and save his own rear end

A few witnesses have already testified that Sondland was one of the point-men on the Ukraine stuff with Rudy and Perry

yeah, this is good news. would be better if Sondland was throwing himself on the mercy of congress and spilling his guts, but he's very clearly not interested in being the fall guy and is willing to admit there were crimes, just he's gonna try to divert the crimes to rudy first

i sort of wonder how rudy's broken brain will deal with being thrown under the bus, if he just doubles down over and over on being the loyal dog or takes the cohen route

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Honestly it'd be incredibly out of character if there *weren't* a fuckton of insider trading going on, where everyone in the executive were using their knowledge and position to grift the stock market.

Also gorka's head is loving *enormous*

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1184836837459873794?s=20

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I missed this yesterday, but Mitch is saying that Justice Roberts will have much more control over the impeachment trial than I expected:

quote:

Timing was a looming question in the Senate GOP meeting. McConnell said that he expected Pelosi to hold an impeachment vote by Thanksgiving and that the Senate should try to dispose of the issue by Christmas. But he also noted that motions of dismissal of the charges in an impeachment trial are handled at the discretion of the chief justice, who presides over the trial.

In this case, John G. Roberts Jr. would have the final word on how quickly the Senate could move, potentially complicating the GOP’s effort to short-circuit what could become a lengthy trial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...4732_story.html

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

skylined! posted:

Honestly it'd be incredibly out of character if there *weren't* a fuckton of insider trading going on, where everyone in the executive were using their knowledge and position to grift the stock market.

"Ah gently caress it, I'll do a lil bit anyways"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I missed this yesterday, but Mitch is saying that Justice Roberts will have much more control over the impeachment trial than I expected:

Well, this means that there will probably be a trial, and Mitch will have less ability to fast-track or bog it down than we thought.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

skylined! posted:

gently caress off nazi tumor brain.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

10 a.m.: Maloney becomes acting Oversight Committee chair due to seniority

Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.), the second-highest ranking Democrat on the House Oversight and Reform Committee, will become the panel’s acting chair following the passing of Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.), according to a senior Democratic leadership aide.

Not Katie Hill.

Also Sondland is claiming Trump told everyone to work through Guiliani.

Washington Post posted:

Gordon Sondland, the U.S. ambassador to the European Union, told House impeachment investigators Thursday that President Trump urged him to work with his personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani on matters related to Ukraine.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1184838066529329153

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

evilweasel posted:

I’m reading this as him saving his own rear end. The less he can be blamed for how impeachment goes, the more likely it is he keeps his seat, if not his leadership position.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

evilweasel posted:

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Isn't this just, like, super refutable by any attorney with a pulse by looking at his text message history?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

I’m reading this as him saving his own rear end. The less he can be blamed for how impeachment goes, the more likely it is he keeps his seat, if not his leadership position.

Yeah, this poo poo is Calvin ball. The rules only matter when they're convenient and in this case, it's convenient for McConnell to hide behind them.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Oracle posted:

Also Sondland is claiming Trump told everyone to work through Guiliani.

I'm confused; isn't this the opposite of what he planned to say before?

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

skylined! posted:

This seems way worse than usual. If this is what it looks like, this is Trump destroying the economy then lying about working to fix it so he can profit to the tune of $1.5 billion from the short-lived bubble.

Also gently caress. RIP Elijah Cummings, you were too good for this awful loving planet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

Isn't this just, like, super refutable by any attorney with a pulse by looking at his text message history?

yeah

this is a problem with "smart people", especially business people, they think they can lie their way out of things and get tripped up because they're not used to being in situations where people can do that and there are consequences. there is a reason that the advice is "say nothing" not "say you didn't do it"

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think there is evidence for Huntington’s in Trump’s increasingly erratic behavior towards North and South Korea. That’s a symptom of Huntington’s that gets much more visible as it gets worse right? Huntington’s Korea?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is it really that few? I knew it’s subscribed accounts and active users number is massively inflated by bots but I still thought it was still a popular subreddit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm "tendies", the 23rd most frequently used word in that subreddit

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Lote posted:

I think there is evidence for Huntington’s in Trump’s increasingly erratic behavior towards North and South Korea. That’s a symptom of Huntington’s that gets much more visible as it gets worse right? Huntington’s Korea?

I think there's evidence of donkey brains in this post

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

evilweasel posted:

I wonder if he'll try and convince Roberts to somehow rat gently caress Trump then, since Roberts isnt vulnerable to voters and Mitch wouldn't be blamed in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

And the story on Fox News last night was the Democrats all had a meltdown during the meeting and Trump was stoic and strong.

Constant projection