Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

Romney is apparently slamming this deal on the floor of the Senate so the news might finally wake up this is a surrender not a cease-fire before the newpapers are printed.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1184909002469265408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ragzilla posted:

They already knew at that point the US troops were withdrawing, this was just a dick move. "we were shooting at kurds, and we know your roe won't let you return fire". Same stupid poking the bear poo poo every tinpot dictator does when the US is deployed anywhere near them.

They knew US forces were withdrawing somewhat and the pentagon was dragging its feet: shelling the ones who hadn't moved was about getting all of them out of the way completely.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Optics going just as planned for the administration

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

I am not very smart, so just to be sure, the implication here is that Sondland planned to lie/evade in his testimony so it couldn't be proven there was a quid pro quo, then Mulvaney just said "yeah we traded aid for help investigating Democrats, explicitly"

Pretty Much!!!

Right in the god damned middle of when Sondland was testifying. Hot off the presses the Dems basically started saying "so, the white house just said this, which... (etc)"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Young Freud posted:

Everyone thinking Mulvaney is playing some 4D chess, forget it. He's just dumb as Trump and he was never supposed to be talking to the press.

All anyone needs to know about Mulvaney is that he's a small business owner who thought he'd make a better (more regressive) congressman than whoever was representing him before and just keeps failing upward.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
If you want some good news

https://twitter.com/MikeElk/status/1184907873891115008

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Very much enjoying the first headline below that

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The only move on the board for the WH now (aside from the Senate will never convict) is "Mulvaney is a God Damned moron with a broken brain, dont listen to him".

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mulvaney sprinting to leap under the bus.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Meatball posted:

I don't think that's enough. Much like how Nixon resigned and all his fuckhead aides continued to infect American policy to this day. Unless we clear out the rot, not only will we never be rid of his influence, but we'll spend the next 30 years in perpetual fear of the next election being a competent trump. The rest of the world knows it too so theyll be very worried about us going forward.

I think some sort of truth and reconciliation commission, combined with aggressively rooting out the monsters that govern us are the only way we can ever even start to be better.

Ding ding ding.

Don't forget fixing all the stupid gentleman's agreement decorum-based bullshit lack of rules that got us to this point in the first place.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Prester Jane posted:

Approximately 25% of our population is a brainwashed Trump cultist.

More like 46%. His approval numbers only seem lower because the cultists don't want to admit they are cultists to strangers.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TyrantWD posted:

More like 46%. His approval numbers only seem lower because the cultists don't want to admit they are cultists to strangers.

This isn’t backed up by anything and you know it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump legal team: "oh god please don't blame us for that disaster"

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1184911001910759424

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Oracle posted:

Ding ding ding.

Don't forget fixing all the stupid gentleman's agreement decorum-based bullshit lack of rules that got us to this point in the first place.

I think a competent Trump would basically be Stalin, yes?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1184913585065074690

Trump'd

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Yep.

Remember how much poo poo Republicans gave Obama for being weak?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Groovelord Neato posted:

they;re going to subpoena more powerful people as this goes on and those will be ignored. and like PJ said there haven't been consequences for them being ignored thus far.

the fact they have to go to court over things that are inarguable (treasury HAS to give them trump's tax returns) does no bode well for the future.

How so? It's ultimately just a delaying action - and not one they can keep up indefinitely, because once the circuit courts start exploding Trump's arguments, the lower courts are going to respond to newer subpoenas by going "yep looks fine to me" and rubberstamping the process.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Master negotiator.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

How so? It's ultimately just a delaying action - and not one they can keep up indefinitely, because once the circuit courts start exploding Trump's arguments, the lower courts are going to respond to newer subpoenas by going "yep looks fine to me" and rubberstamping the process.

the goal is to appeal it to the supreme court, get cert, get a stay, and get the argument set for, oh, say mid-november of next year

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

goethe.cx posted:

This isn’t backed up by anything and you know it

That is what percentage of voters voted for him, and he has retained basically all of his support. No appreciable number of those on the Trump train got off, and given all that has happened since that election, there is basically nothing that will change their minds. They are in it to the end. When Trump got 46% of the vote, his approval numbers were still in the high 30s. The "shy-Tory" effect, is very much a thing over here when it comes to Trump.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

ryde posted:

Yep.

Remember how much poo poo Republicans gave Obama for being weak?

Trump embodies most of the negative qualities the chuds claimed Obama did.

Other than the obvious one.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TyrantWD posted:

That is what percentage of voters voted for him, and he has retained basically all of his support. No appreciable number of those on the Trump train got off, and given all that has happened since that election, there is basically nothing that will change their minds. They are in it to the end. When Trump got 46% of the vote, his approval numbers were still in the high 30s. The "shy-Tory" effect, is very much a thing over here when it comes to Trump.

there was an election in 2018

the results were not consistent with everyone who voted for trump sticking by the republican party

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

the goal is to appeal it to the supreme court, get cert, get a stay, and get the argument set for, oh, say mid-november of next year

There are some problems with this plan but I guess it's the best Team Trump has.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

I've never seen anyone use "a great day for civilization" when discussing ethnic cleansing before

That's a new one, you complete loving lunatic

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's not even that people are really on board with Trump, they're on board with their side, and whoever is in leadership on their side gets their support. That's the 30% base that he can't lose. They're the ones who vote R no matter who. And once Trump is out they'll support whoever's next. Unless it's a Democrat, in which case they'll fight and whine and make poo poo up about that person.

Sat next to a couple old geezers at lunch today who were talking loudly about politics. They've already swallowed the party line, saying dems are hypocrites because they never want war but now that trump is pulling out they want war. Literally saying that they never wanted war over there, that we don't belong on that side of the world, pull our boys out and let the t****heads kill each other off. Out loud. In public. I thought of a million different things to say, and not one of them would have made a difference. That's the problem with where we are today.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
You guys can laugh all you want but I think trump is going to go down as one of history's great heroes when we eventually find out how hard he pushed back at putin's original orders and we settled on JUST allowing ethnic cleansing.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Look, I don't think I can handle any more winning this week.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

So, near as I can figure... Mitch and Rand blew up the House bill so that it can be replaced with something that the Democrats won't vote for?

Am I reading into this correctly?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

LloydDobler posted:

It's not even that people are really on board with Trump, they're on board with their side, and whoever is in leadership on their side gets their support. That's the 30% base that he can't lose. They're the ones who vote R no matter who. And once Trump is out they'll support whoever's next. Unless it's a Democrat, in which case they'll fight and whine and make poo poo up about that person.

Sat next to a couple old geezers at lunch today who were talking loudly about politics. They've already swallowed the party line, saying dems are hypocrites because they never want war but now that trump is pulling out they want war. Literally saying that they never wanted war over there, that we don't belong on that side of the world, pull our boys out and let the t****heads kill each other off. Out loud. In public. I thought of a million different things to say, and not one of them would have made a difference. That's the problem with where we are today.

We can just wait for them to die :getin:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 17, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Mick done hosed up.

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1184914782253699072?s=20

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

there was an election in 2018

the results were not consistent with everyone who voted for trump sticking by the republican party

There is also the grim matter of mortality. The GOP is *extremely* old, and young people are *extremely* not-GOP.

The GOP is literally dying. If Trump literally keeps each and every single voter who voted for him in 2016 (lol no) and didn't gain much more, then the election is called as soon as polls close in CA.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1184914782253699072

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump's lawyers finding ways to say "please do not hold these actions against me in a future malpractice suit" continue to be hilarious to me

you can't say "boy i wish that guy had lied" but you can say "boy, i wish that guy had kept his drat mouth shut"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well if he gets fired at least he's got a backup career or five.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Why would Trump's outside attorney's opinions affect the US diplomatic efforts in Ukraine

I mean, I know the answer, but it's not a good answer for Trump's outside attorney

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Rigel posted:

There is also the grim matter of mortality. The GOP is *extremely* old, and young people are *extremely* not-GOP. The GOP is literally dying.

I really hope so, but on the other hand I heard this a lot right up until Trump won the 2016 election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So Trump has to have told Mick to do that against the advice of literally everyone else right? How else would it happen?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Committed to Let Trump be Trump for all to see to the bitter end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Devor posted:

Why would Trump's outside attorney's opinions affect the US diplomatic efforts in Ukraine

I mean, I know the answer, but it's not a good answer for Trump's outside attorney

he's saying please don't blame him for mick going up and confessing to his client's crimes