Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
no mate everything since you've been gone has been thoroughly unimportant, good job you're back really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no mate everything since you've been gone has been thoroughly unimportant, good job you're back really.

that's a little hostile for a snipe

anyway, yeah, crisps, seeing as it's 2am and I might get away with it:

Regarding crispchat. I have no max strong opinions; there's so many ones-to-munch that I enjoy, and hearing everyone pipers up with their personal selections lifts my spirits like a banging choon in a disco. I know there's people who'd say just skips those posts, but there's a cultural hisdori-to be considered - it's one of the ways we as individual walkers of the forums strengthen our social bonds.

One thing I enjoy is there's a skill to these debates - some posters are excellent at arguing for their choice; I think it would be sad to silence their voices, to nix knacks that could also be applied to other forms of debate. We generally have fun - everyone here enjoys a good rib, and saucy conversation seems suited to that peculiarly UK style of messing about; there never seems to be any genuine beef, it just gets nice and spicy and that scampi a lot of fun for a lot of folks. We're posters - in a way we're all word smiths, right?

Honestly, it feels a lot like the people with the biggest issues are almost always "outsiders", space raiders, people who show up full of salt 'n' shake with rage because we're happy - to my mind these posts are excellent, even golden; wonder why that upsets them? Wotsit all about that drives them into such a rage they need to take an asprin, galls them, makes them burts with anger, turns them into such uncool squares? I guess I can see how this might foster feelings of exclusion, so we should be aware of this.

Maybe they're not normally like this, but there's something about snackchat that frazzles them, and they transform - a snack debate just triggers something, the reader quavers, then finally snaps.

Sorry for the effortpost, and for probably caring about this too much, but we all have our cheese moments. I guess it's understandable why it might get on folks' nerves - I just hope people can understand it's all in fun, and that one day they'll twig - let's hope that day is soon.

Snackchat haters, there's tudors you can go through. One leads to hell - a' pay no mind to that, there's nothing good going on there. The other leads to a lively, amusing debate, a land of fun and sun - bites if you can't make it there with us, but I trhula hope you do.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

IrvingWashington posted:

Regarding crispchat. I have no max strong opinions; there's so many ones-to-munch that I enjoy, and hearing everyone pipers up with their personal selections lifts my spirits like a banging choon in a disco. I know there's people who'd say just skips those posts, but there's a cultural hisdori-to be considered - it's one of the ways we as individual walkers of the forums strengthen our social bonds.

One thing I enjoy is there's a skill to these debates - some posters are excellent at arguing for their choice; I think it would be sad to silence their voices, to nix knacks that could also be applied to other forms of debate. We generally have fun - everyone here enjoys a good rib, and saucy conversation seems suited to that peculiarly UK style of messing about; there never seems to be any genuine beef, it just gets nice and spicy and that scampi a lot of fun for a lot of folks. We're posters - in a way we're all word smiths, right?

Honestly, it feels a lot like the people with the biggest issues are almost always "outsiders", space raiders, people who show up full of salt 'n' shake with rage because we're happy - to my mind these posts are excellent, even golden; wonder why that upsets them? Wotsit all about that drives them into such a rage they need to take an asprin, galls them, makes them burts with anger, turns them into such uncool squares? I guess I can see how this might foster feelings of exclusion, so we should be aware of this.

Maybe they're not normally like this, but there's something about snackchat that frazzles them, and they transform - a snack debate just triggers something, the reader quavers, then finally snaps.

Sorry for the effortpost, and for probably caring about this too much, but we all have our cheese moments. I guess it's understandable why it might get on folks' nerves - I just hope people can understand it's all in fun, and that one day they'll twig - let's hope that day is soon.

Snackchat haters, there's tudors you can go through. One leads to hell - a' pay no mind to that, there's nothing good going on there. The other leads to a lively, amusing debate, a land of fun and sun - bites if you can't make it there with us, but I trhula hope you do.

:golfclap:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Holy poo poo.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/RaynerSkyNews/status/1184933943906312192
If this is true, it's an absolutely catastrophic mistake.

If Johnson gets his deal though and the Lib Dems are able to blame Brexit on Labour MPs who escape any form of sanction, the election will be a bloodbath.

LAB would need to first whip against for the deal to be guaranteed to fail, there are too many MPs who are either in Leave areas or would back a referendum toy in their happy deal

taking withdrawing the whip off the table does work both ways here, perhaps

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The whole internet hates Milkshake Goose, an rear end in a top hat of a goose that steals milkshakes.

*5 seconds later*

... we have to inform you the goose used the milkshake to ruin a fascist's suit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

IrvingWashington posted:

I don't care how much reprogramming of the boards it takes, this has to be next month's thread title.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Normal people just say 'Labour' you know

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Ms Adequate posted:

I don't care how much reprogramming of the boards it takes, this has to be next month's thread title.
Pastebin link :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

feedmegin posted:

It's a fun code, like on the stock market.

Also I occasionally forget or don't notice that I'm reading a ronya post and seeing LAB reminds me what frame of reference I should be using

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I just want Brexit to not happen :(

Does that make me crazy? That make me crazy? That make me crazy?

Probably.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So somehow Boris Johnson is close to being able to get the deal passed? It sounds like the margins are going to be tight. Is there nothing in the deal to justify an MP in a “Leave” district voting against the deal?

It sounds like the “People versus Parliament” pitch has been effective.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ronya posted:

LAB would need to first whip against for the deal to be guaranteed to fail, there are too many MPs who are either in Leave areas or would back a referendum toy in their happy deal

taking withdrawing the whip off the table does work both ways here, perhaps

Absolutely nobody thinks Labour won't be running a three line whip against this deal, regardless of any amendments that might be passed.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jabby posted:

Absolutely nobody thinks Labour won't be running a three line whip against this deal, regardless of any amendments that might be passed.

whipping is a poor way to corral naughty backbenchers if you pledge upfront that defying the whip will have no consequences, and Johnson only needs a few LAB backbenchers even for an unamended deal

e: okay, not just a few - about thirty. Amending the bill does move LDEM and SNP over the fence but would shed CON votes immediately. No idea how it would shake out

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 18, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

:perfect:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ronya posted:

whipping is a poor way to corral naughty backbenchers if you pledge upfront that defying the whip will have no consequences, and Johnson only needs a few LAB backbenchers even for an unamended deal

e: okay, not just a few - about thirty. Amending the bill does move LDEM and SNP over the fence but would shed CON votes immediately. No idea how it would shake out

That's literally my entire point, I think it's a huge mistake to promise no consequences on a vote of this monumental importance. I have no idea what your original post about it 'working both ways' was meant to mean.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ronya posted:

The whole Brexit debacle since the Tories decided they'd be the ones to do it has been the tension between the extreme wing headed up by JRM and threatened from outside the party on the right flank by Farage, the wets who either oppose Brexit entirely or can live with it as long as it's a soft (and thus economically non-suicidal) one, and amplified since 2017 the particular and peculiar ambitions/requirements of the DUP, though the NI issue was always going to be a hugely sticky one regardless of the DUP giving confidence and supply.

It's... possible that these tensions have been overcome by Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, but I'd not put money on that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IrvingWashington posted:

You goddam beautiful bastard :swoon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

Ronya is using fewer characters than necessary and you're complaining?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Ukmt discord link in first post has expired. Anyone got a fresh one?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jabby posted:

That's literally my entire point, I think it's a huge mistake to promise no consequences on a vote of this monumental importance. I have no idea what your original post about it 'working both ways' was meant to mean.

if one pledges not to punish backbenchers if they rebel against a hypothetical whip to back an amendment, it's tricky to punish backbenchers if they rebel against a hypothetical whip not to back an amendment, or not to back an amended deal, or even an unamended deal

this also does mean that whipping is an electoral gesture, in the main. This might be the actual plan. A number of Corbyn campaigners credit whipping to invoke A50 as a boon on the Labour doorstep in 2017, at least in marginal or leave areas

let's see what relevant folks announce they will do today, I suppose

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GloriaDePiero/status/1185080114083745792?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

Apropos of nothing did you know that there's a massively under-reported cirrhosis/fibrosis epidemic among millennials, the true impact of which will likely not make itself fully known for another 15-30 years? They estimate that with the obesity crisis and NAFLD about 1 in 4 people in that age range are now affected, me included. That's why I try for two 3+ month periods of sobriety a year these days.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/apr/12/experts-warn-of-fatty-liver-disease-epidemic-in-young-people
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/13/britain-liver-disease-epidemic-alcohol-cirrhosis-young-people
loving l o l that there's an epidemic due to the shittiness of existence and the proposed solution is "control alcohol" rather than "legalize some better alternatives" or "control existence"

Braggart posted:

This has happened a couple of times this month, whereas I notice that over the past two years I haven't had to update the IRC link once, so perhaps it's just a terrible platform.
(I don't have a link though, sorry. I think you have to slaughter a lamb at midnight to get one or something.)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Braggart posted:

try this one
https://discord.gg/5t3FAu

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

endlessmonotony posted:

The whole internet hates Milkshake Goose, an rear end in a top hat of a goose that steals milkshakes.

*5 seconds later*

... we have to inform you the goose used the milkshake to ruin a fascist's suit.

lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brony Car posted:

So somehow Boris Johnson is close to being able to get the deal passed? It sounds like the margins are going to be tight. Is there nothing in the deal to justify an MP in a “Leave” district voting against the deal?

It sounds like the “People versus Parliament” pitch has been effective.

There's rather a lot in this deal that any MP could object to if they'd want to. It's pretty much just ~hard brexit~ with a transition period first and some special rules for NI, there's nothing in it that matches Labour's stated brexit priorities

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well now we know what david cameron calls his penis

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

RockyB posted:

JD is definitely trash tier.

Oh for sure. I would never claim it was an actually nice drink.

RockyB posted:

Apropos of nothing did you know that there's a massively under-reported cirrhosis/fibrosis epidemic among millennials, the true impact of which will likely not make itself fully known for another 15-30 years? They estimate that with the obesity crisis and NAFLD about 1 in 4 people in that age range are now affected, me included. That's why I try for two 3+ month periods of sobriety a year these days.

drat that's bleak. I don't drink all that often but I definitely overdo it when I do. The doc loving up my repeat citalopram prescription probably won't help my desire to drink myself into a stupor this month either.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Cheers :)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Beefeater1980 posted:

I just want Brexit to not happen :(

Does that make me crazy? That make me crazy? That make me crazy?

Probably.

don't be ridiculous, labour can't possibly run on remain

sexpig by night posted:

Aren't these also the people saying to turn yourself into the cops

don't we want comrades to turn into the cops?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
A hellish few nights on a hospital ward with people around me dying of liver and kidney related stuff was a decent motivator to start watching my drinking

He said to himself

While tucking a cheeky beer into his workbag

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

There's rather a lot in this deal that any MP could object to if they'd want to. It's pretty much just ~hard brexit~ with a transition period first and some special rules for NI, there's nothing in it that matches Labour's stated brexit priorities

The deal is the May Withdrawal Agreement except worse from a Brexit Ultra POV because it splits NI from the rest of the UK. However, the Brexit Ultras that are in favour of this deal realize that if this deal falls through, the odds of Brexit happening at all drop considerably (while the odds of No Deal Brexit also increase somewhat). And they would presumably be happy to keep BoJo at the helm negotiating the future relationship with the EU.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh hey it's Diwali soon, and you know what that means?

The triumph of light over darkness? The casting, and casting out, of shadow? Sky full of fireworks, mouth full of sweets? People who aren't Jewish accusing people who aren't Hindu of antisemitism over trying to be inclusive?

:toot:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/faizashaheen/status/1184084090338893825?s=19

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah Noahs Mill is nice, problem is it's stupid expensive and hard to find.

I really like the Weller wheated bourbons, but again those are hard to find and often expensive. Rittenhouse Rye is lovely too, and sometimes reasonable on Amazon.

My go-to supermarket bourbon is Woodford Reserve, it's frequently available at a reduced price. Makes a great Old Fashioned.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DesperateDan posted:

A hellish few nights on a hospital ward with people around me dying of liver and kidney related stuff was a decent motivator to start watching my drinking

It looks like a very poo poo way to go. I've become a fan of alcohol free weissbier. Doesn't help with the pain of existence tho

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So this closes the Benn amendment loophole

https://twitter.com/MarkerJParker/status/1185098502440996865?s=19

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Oh hey it's Diwali soon, and you know what that means?

The triumph of light over darkness? The casting, and casting out, of shadow? Sky full of fireworks, mouth full of sweets? People who aren't Jewish accusing people who aren't Hindu of antisemitism over trying to be inclusive?

:toot:

Any reason to believe this wasn't done for the sake of causing controversy to spread the name of the place?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Labour leavers are going to absolutely gently caress this.

If Coebyn doesn’t three line whip it, he’s going to be absolutely hosed too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain is a Stasi state tho? :confused:

Like when you're sharing intelligence that amounts to rumor, not evidence, with databases that lack organization and organizations that lack oversight, that's far from ideal, and that has progressed a lot under The Saj.

Iran's probably bad too, but they lack the ability to do anything immediate to me other than stockpiling instant ice packs so that the shops are always run out.

knox_harrington posted:

It looks like a very poo poo way to go. I've become a fan of alcohol free weissbier. Doesn't help with the pain of existence tho
I've become a fan of dignity in dying for similar reasons.

Eschenique posted:

Any reason to believe this wasn't done for the sake of causing controversy to spread the name of the place?
Only that they're everywhere on Indian businesses at this time of year and the only reason this got famous was someone else kicking up a fuss on social media.