Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

packetmantis posted:

:jerkbag: Yes, reading is hard and shooting mans with no context is much more fun.

I agree, which is why its unfortunate the lore is detached from the game. I'm not sure if 2 helped but in 1 it wasnt even in a drat codex in game, you had to goto the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stuffed crust punk posted:

Peter dinklage's narration is what made me quit d1 lmao

Didn't they remove that after like, the public alpha?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Didn't they remove that after like, the public alpha?

They changed one line which became a bit of a meme "That wizard...he came from the moon..."

Dinklage remained in the release game but they changed it to Nolan North after they realized they couldnt get him for the expansions so rather than make it jarring they changed your robot to North so it'd be the same through the game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RagnarokAngel posted:

They changed one line which became a bit of a meme "That wizard...he came from the moon..."

Dinklage remained in the release game but they changed it to Nolan North after they realized they couldnt get him for the expansions so rather than make it jarring they changed your robot to North so it'd be the same through the game.

Oooh yeah. Shame, the moon wizard line was the best one. :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Oooh yeah. Shame, the moon wizard line was the best one. :v:

It continues to be the biggest crime of our day.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dinklebot was some of the most phoned-in voice acting I've ever heard, but North's ghost sounds like a dork and it bugs the crap out of me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

crossposting from the Hunt: Showdown thread

Basticle posted:

*edit* so this just happened to me https://streamable.com/vjyve

:tif:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I googled this and it's a pretty great line delivery. Was Dinklage being passive-aggressive, or is he just bad at voice acting?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know who really chaps my britches? *consults teenager's notebook of short fiction* The... darkness?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i am escaping to the only place still uncorrupted by wizardry...the moon!!

(you can see tim curry fight like hell to keep a straight face, fantastic work from an amazing actor)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

I googled this and it's a pretty great line delivery. Was Dinklage being passive-aggressive, or is he just bad at voice acting?

All of his lines are delivered pretty poorly but I think it's basically that he was essentially given no direction. He read the lines as flat and boring because nobody told him how he should be reading them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

i am escaping to the only place still uncorrupted by wizardry...the moon!!

(you can see tim curry fight like hell to keep a straight face, fantastic work from an amazing actor)

That is absolutely the best line in any video game ever.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All of his lines are delivered pretty poorly but I think it's basically that he was essentially given no direction. He read the lines as flat and boring because nobody told him how he should be reading them.

If you get no direction, you should go balls-out giving the most ridiculous acting you can think of IMO. Let loose and have fun with it. Dare them to tell you to dial it back.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ItBreathes posted:

Dinklebot was some of the most phoned-in voice acting I've ever heard, but North's ghost sounds like a dork and it bugs the crap out of me.

I'll always secretly miss Dinklebot a tiny bit, it was entertaining in a more meta way, like they invented robots and AI but never quite worked out the bugs at making them interesting or relatable. Sorta like the uncanny valley but for personality.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

ImpAtom posted:

That is absolutely the best line in any video game ever.

No poo poo, the only reason I actually bought RA3 when it was on sale was because I found out Tim Curry was in it.
Absolutely zero regrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'll always secretly miss Dinklebot a tiny bit, it was entertaining in a more meta way, like they invented robots and AI but never quite worked out the bugs at making them interesting or relatable. Sorta like the uncanny valley but for personality.

The funny thing is if they'd gone with this deliberately it would be very in-line for how Bungie used to write AI characters.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The funny thing is if they'd gone with this deliberately it would be very in-line for how Bungie used to write AI characters.

I'd like to see you realize you're an infinitely expanding, immortal, hyperintellegent personality construct and come out relatable / sane on the other side.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Soul Reaver posted:

No poo poo, the only reason I actually bought RA3 when it was on sale was because I found out Tim Curry was in it.
Absolutely zero regrets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yMy7JuGpJM

A national treasure.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

packetmantis posted:

:jerkbag: Yes, reading is hard and shooting mans with no context is much more fun.

You get enough background to shoot men just by playing tbh. But I agree it's kind of a shame because d2 lore has some really neat idea, especially around the vex and hive, but bungie are very bad at many game design aspects and part of that is that they are unable to combine the lore and gameplay.

I guess if you really want to catch up on the lore you can always go watch myelin or byf on YouTube, they have made a career out of hour long videos about d2 lore :v:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I agree, which is why its unfortunate the lore is detached from the game. I'm not sure if 2 helped but in 1 it wasnt even in a drat codex in game, you had to goto the website.

A year ago they added a lore tab in game where you can read through dozens and hundreds of lore text files (if you have earned/collected them in game)

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The few references you get to the Vex in D2 are so loving weird. Like, Ghost literally just drops that you're getting invaded by Vex from alternate timelines at one point like it's nothing, because to him it isn't and probably wouldn't rank in the top 10 weirdest poo poo he's seen that day, but meanwhile as a player I'm wondering what the hell is going on.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: quote ain't edit goddamnit

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fathis Munk posted:

You get enough background to shoot men just by playing tbh. But I agree it's kind of a shame because d2 lore has some really neat idea, especially around the vex and hive, but bungie are very bad at many game design aspects and part of that is that they are unable to combine the lore and gameplay.
Yeah, it's not that I would dislike having more of it in the game, even it feels like one of those kitchen sink settings at times. It's just that it's mostly not very apparent while you're playing. You can go through quite a lot of the game without picking up more than the absolute basics.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Sometimes EA Sports games just decide that the CPU team is going to score, regardless of what the game has to do to make it work.
https://twitter.com/MLozada/status/1170817606225297409

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

SpacePig posted:

Sometimes EA Sports games just decide that the CPU team is going to score, regardless of what the game has to do to make it work.
Yeah, that's been a thing since the 90s. I've seen some absolute horseshit from the CPU in the NHL games.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Most people have a body that is 60% water. That guy? Number 20? 60% steroids.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The best part about dinklebot is that it sounds like he's literally reading the lines on a phone call

like there's a few lines where it sounds like paper rustling and they changed it to robot static

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTQp6loFEkM&t=21s

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SpacePig posted:

Is that goon still around who gets EA royalty checks every year because 14 lines of C++ code he wrote for madden 95 still ship in every release

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

stuffed crust punk posted:

Is that goon still around who gets EA royalty checks every year because 14 lines of C++ code he wrote for madden 95 still ship in every release
I remember the guy mentioning that in a thread somewhere just this year or so.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ItBreathes posted:

I thought Dinklage's voice was pretty fitting for a cynical immortal magic robot Rubik's Cube and I have been sick of Nolan North since, I don't know, 2012 or so, so the change really drove me nuts. Saints Row IV skewered North playing everyone in everything by letting him play himself as a main character voice over a year before the initial release of Destiny. It really felt like you could not turn on a video game without hearing his boringass voice spouting meaningless banter for a period of several years there.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
:v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE
I didn't have too much problem with Dinklebot either, he's a floating immortal cube thing, a bored flat voice feels matching for it.
What I think is funny is like.... did they not plan for DLC?

Serf
May 5, 2011

dinklebot was far superior to nolanbot, but there's no way they were gonna be able to keep up with dinklage's fee

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Doc M posted:

Yeah, that's been a thing since the 90s. I've seen some absolute horseshit from the CPU in the NHL games.

It's not just EA sports games either. NBA 2K games do this poo poo too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

bony tony posted:

A national treasure.
In every nation.

I still don't know how a movie based on a board game is so goddamn funny, but I have to watch Clue at least once a year.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Croccers posted:

I didn't have too much problem with Dinklebot either, he's a floating immortal cube thing, a bored flat voice feels matching for it.
What I think is funny is like.... did they not plan for DLC?

They had a season pass at launch so they absolutely did. Likely publisher meddling, get a big name actor but lets not concern ourselves with the long term.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

They had a season pass at launch so they absolutely did. Likely publisher meddling, get a big name actor but lets not concern ourselves with the long term.

Which is funny because they had a ten year vision before the game even released.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

cage-free egghead posted:

Which is funny because they had a ten year vision before the game even released.

They had a 10 year contract. I don't think anyones accused Destiny of having a vision.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Regrettable posted:

It's not just EA sports games either. NBA 2K games do this poo poo too.
It's hard to make an AI player that is actually as good at physically moving his pixel mans around as the league stats say it should be. Can't really hold it against them that they took the only real solution to the problem that they had.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not exactly glitches, but here's a thread with a bunch of terrible video game localizations:

https://twitter.com/FrancescoDonald/status/1184116997522644994

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Curriculum vitae, or CV, is a legit term though :confused:

Mainly used by older folks who went to university I think, but still.

e: oh jesus it's supposed to be in Italian :lol: